FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Genuine XP

lurch003
Hi

For all the money Mr Gates and Microsoft have made over the Years, i think it stinks that unsuspecting, naive suckers like me now have to pay for XP. Again.

I'm sure there are genuine fraudsters out there and admit this will stop them in the future but surely there could've been some kind of amnesty for those duped by the system. How was I supposed to know it wasn't genuine when I bought the computer?? How was I supposed to know I needed discs with holograms. If I'm honest, I got better things to worry about in life.

And, true to the world we live in, its now gonna cost me more money cos I'm not "in the know".

So my question is (sorry for the ramble): I'm buying a new computer soon. From a shop, with genuine flooking everything and am gonna give this old thing to my partners daughter.

If I wait until I have the new one, and then load the new windows OS onto both, is that REALLY wrong?? That was I don''t have to do this £92 genuine thing and end up paying through the nose twice.

I've heard Mr Gates is giving billions to charity - fair play but why should it be £100's of my money which should be going to my own charitable causes.
djclue917
Yeah that is wrong since your copy of a genuine Microsoft Windows XP is only licensed for a single PC. That means that you could only install it in a single PC at one time. I do think, however, that you could "migrate" your genuine copy of Windows XP into another computer as long as you delete that same copy from your old machine. Well, I'm not really sure about that though... Please correct me if I am wrong...
ocalhoun
Windows XP has too much anti-piracy stuff like that, you should upgrade to windows 2000. That should solve your problems.
orno
ocalhoun wrote:
Windows XP has too much anti-piracy stuff like that, you should upgrade to windows 2000. That should solve your problems.

"upgrade" to windows 2000 being the key here... Smile
{name here}
You can use Wine on Linux to run your applications without the need for genuine advantage, but many apps simply will not work. There is a whole database of the applications on the Wine homepage. They even got WoW playing on Linux with it, which seems to be quite an accomplishment.
surdy
Ditch Windows..Use linux ..asnwer to all your questions.
bryanbel
I had stumbled on a website that is developing an OS like windows but it is still on its Alpha release stage right now. Checkout http://www.reactos.com/

I am also been monitoring the development of this project.
Xeniczone
React os is a great way to go, but this is a project version of windows. Suggesting that still little support, and not Windows update for security or anthing. It doesn't promiss that your Anti-virus software will run either.

Linux is probably the best way to go. You save buying the Os and you don't have to buy Anti-Virus software.

Plus as mentioned before you can run you win. apps. on it too.

Wine: Run Windows Applications as long as no Direct X is being used in the App.

Transgaming: Lets you play someoff the top of the line games on your linux. Without emulation so no need for fast computers to run your BF2 game at 2fps. Also supports games with Direct X.
lurch003
I've tried googling "linux" and have come across a whole lotta information. Before frihost and my attempt at a webpage, I'd never even heard of Linux.

You guys know a LOT more than me so I'm asking for assistance.

Will everything from Norton to simple games (the missus, not me!!) work on Linux?? Outlook Express? Explorer etc or am I missing something about the fight against Microsoft??

I'm on the verge of paying for Windows as I've heard that a friend of a friend has lost EVERYTHING and blames this Genuine thing - which sounds very harsh if he has - I just thought you wouldn't get the off update??
Xeniczone
lol, you don't need nortan for Linux. Your chances of getting a virus on linux is as much as homeless people going to the moon. It just isn't happening.

Linux has it's own line of software. Such as Firefox for web surfing. StarOffice as a word processor, powerpoint etc...

You will not be able to play your video games on it by it's self, but you may want to check these people out. Transgaming.com they accually understand direct X and have managed to make a program that will run direct X games on linux.

Me, myself. I'm a macintosh user so you may want to ask someone more into Linux then me.
lurch003
Thanks dude

Being a hoster and all - you must have a lot of buddies on PC's who, if I beg really badly, you could ask for me??????

Seriously, would a newbie like me come across any major problems??
Xeniczone
When I was new to Linux the major problems I had was...

Hardware support (Never got my wireless card to work)

The software switch. Didn't really matter because most of the software come with linux right out of the box.
Josso
surdy wrote:

Erm, it's a very good OS but not compatible with anything.
S3nd K3ys
surdy wrote:

No, linux is the START to all your questions.

If you do unusual stuff like me, Linux just won't work. It's fun, it's good, but it's not popular and won't run the software I need it to run. So I play with it at home and my kid (who's 3) has linux on his computer.

Oh, BOT, Genuine XP? Autoupdate brings teh sux0rs. Turn it to manual. I run legit copies of XP, but I'm not letting BG put that crap on my computer.
Xeniczone
but auto update is required. If your still running SP1 then some software will not work.

If you really have a hard time understanding you can always use ReAct OS. Though it isn't the best it will work.

When your running Illegal copies of something your talking 128,000 dollars fine or 5 yrs in jail, and if you couldn't afford the software the first time how are you going to afford the fine. It really isn't worth it. You may think you get away with it but what happens when they start cracking down on this like they did with Cable Theft in 2005.

Another problem is you can't reinstall windows. Once you have managed to install it and get that "illegal product key" you can't reinstall it because you will need to activate again. and you can't reactivate without a phone call. internet won't work because so many people are using this product key. When you call them they will start asking you questions like what is the store you bought it from. You Product key may not match that store. It is a really big risk your putting on yourself.
S3nd K3ys
Xeniczone wrote:
but auto update is required. If your still running SP1 then some software will not work.

If you really have a hard time understanding you can always use ReAct OS. Though it isn't the best it will work.

When your running Illegal copies of something your talking 128,000 dollars fine or 5 yrs in jail, and if you couldn't afford the software the first time how are you going to afford the fine. It really isn't worth it. You may think you get away with it but what happens when they start cracking down on this like they did with Cable Theft in 2005.

Another problem is you can't reinstall windows. Once you have managed to install it and get that "illegal product key" you can't reinstall it because you will need to activate again. and you can't reactivate without a phone call. internet won't work because so many people are using this product key. When you call them they will start asking you questions like what is the store you bought it from. You Product key may not match that store. It is a really big risk your putting on yourself.

Autoupdate is NOT required. You can set it up to let you choose what to download and install. I run SP2, and I scan ALL requests to 'update' my computer. I saw the one for "Genuine XP" and deselected it. It was not installed and it is not requred to run and bill goatse cannot force you to put it on your computer.
zorindart
I wouldn't be concerned about this. If MS or, coming of think of it, any major soft firm would REALLY want to develop a real protection against piracy, I'm sure nobody would be able to crack it... and millions of people would move and use free software instead.
They know thousand of people use pirated soft, but they also know when those people turn into professional users, they will have to purchase the soft they use.
S3nd K3ys
zorindart wrote:
I wouldn't be concerned about this. If MS or, coming of think of it, any major soft firm would REALLY want to develop a real protection against piracy, I'm sure nobody would be able to crack it... and millions of people would move and use free software instead.
They know thousand of people use pirated soft, but they also know when those people turn into professional users, they will have to purchase the soft they use.

Wrong. There's no way a peice of software can be secure. No way.

Just like locks, they can always be circumvented. Come up with a better mouse trap, and I'll come up with two better mice.
Xeniczone
Quote:
Wrong. There's no way a peice of software can be secure. No way.

Just like locks, they can always be circumvented. Come up with a better mouse trap, and I'll come up with two better mice.

Wow, dude calm down.

Quote:
Autoupdate is NOT required. You can set it up to let you choose what to download and install. I run SP2, and I scan ALL requests to 'update' my computer. I saw the one for "Genuine XP" and deselected it. It was not installed and it is not requred to run and bill goatse cannot force you to put it on your computer.

I'm just trying to state that some windows software doesn't run without the updates, but you like being the "all knowing" you can do, but your so all knowing you would know I don't give a shit because I use macintosh most of the time.
Xeniczone
Hey I'm installing Suse Linux 10.1 on my Laptop if it works well I will tell you. I have heard good things about Linux Suse

EDIT:

After I installed it (4gbs took 3hours) I had to find drivers for my wireless card it was the only thing that didn't work. Just so happened my wireless card was a Broadcom wireless card and they don't support linux in anyway so it is impossible to find native linux drivers for it, but I did find ndiswrapper. It allowed me to use my Windows drivers on linux. I had also installed Wine. I downloaded some cheap tetris game to test it and it worked really well.

Altogether to get the system up and running w/ internet it took me 8hours. 3 to install ok. 5 to install wireless card. If all your cards already have linux drivers don't worry about that last 5 hours it should take you altogether about 4 hours, 3 to install, 1 to set up.

It is worth it in the end.

Linux got me better battery life and a cooler processor then windows.

So happy trails.
tamilchild
Linux operating system is free software (open source) . But It is difficult to learn?
bryanbel
I tried to find some work around with this Genuine issue. Try doing a goggle on this key words WGA Hotfix

You can find some information regarding this Geniune issue and some hot fixies.