FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DNS Record Fix

AftershockVibe
This is a bug I think rather than a suggestion but this seems like the most appropriate place to post it.

I discovered an odd bug today. If you miss off the "www." when trying to navigate to the forums like so:

http://frihost.com/forums
Note: No forward slash at the end

You get redirected to the following rather odd address:

http://www.frihost.com/forums//home/frih/public_html/forums

Looks like there is some sort of subdomain problem going on with the DNS. What's more peculiar is that it only happens if you omit the slash at the end, otherwise it redirects just fine! Surely the HTTP server (Apache I presume) should be able to do this properly!

ASV
Cool
Bondings
You need to add the trailing slash, not adding it is actually bad syntax. Normally Apache is able to correct it, but because I have some special configuration it apparantly doesn't work like it should and adds the complete path to the url.
Hogwarts
Bondings wrote:
You need to add the trailing slash, not adding it is actually bad syntax. Normally Apache is able to correct it, but because I have some special configuration it apparantly doesn't work like it should and adds the complete path to the url.

Hmm.... Would it work to put a forum.htm or html or whatever file in the main directory? Then it may work... Worth a shot anyway... Isn't it? Smile
Scorpio
Hogwarts wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Hmm.... Would it work to put a forum.htm or html or whatever file in the main directory? Then it may work... Worth a shot anyway... Isn't it? Smile

this error happens only if a name of a directory name is not succeeded by a slash
not for files i guess
AftershockVibe
Bondings wrote:

Fair enough. I was just wondering if people knew about it and whether it was simple enough to fix.
Bondings
I'm pretty sure there is a fix with mod_rewrite (which caused this in the first place) and most likely even one line. The syntax is just a bit hard and I have other priorities.