FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


is jet-lee real?





felisleo
jet lee said he has never been to a street fight.makes me thinking..i know he is amazingly quick but he is also a little guy. could he really beat up a hundred kg. guy or two of them?i would like to see that..
HoboPelican
felisleo wrote:
jet lee said he has never been to a street fight.makes me thinking..i know he is amazingly quick but he is also a little guy. could he really beat up a hundred kg. guy or two of them?i would like to see that..

Sure! As long as he could use wires, fast cuts and choreography Wink
alkady
Its actually Jet Li and not Jet-Lee, But thats a easy mistake. Anyhow I'm sure he can kick big bubba's butt and own him anyday.
odinstag
What he does on the big screen is Wu Shu(SP?).

It is a martial art that is for nothing but looking good on the screen.

He may know some self defense.

He may be able to win a bar fight against some idiot thug.

He will get his butt kicked by a trained FIGHTER. He is an actor, not an ass kicker.
Scaramanga
odinstag wrote:
What he does on the big screen is Wu Shu(SP?).

It is a martial art that is for nothing but looking good on the screen.

He may know some self defense.

He may be able to win a bar fight against some idiot thug.

He will get his butt kicked by a trained FIGHTER. He is an actor, not an *** kicker.

Uhhh WuShu is actually a internationally recognized martial art and sport. And one in which Jet Li has won 15 gold and 1 silver championship medals in. He was a martial artist FIRST before he became an actor. Also Wushu is VERY gymnastically oriented (hence why Li is capable of a lot of the feats he is - YES, some of it is wires, but not everything.)

I know it's 'teh internets' people, but do some research before talking about a topic.
HoboPelican
Scaramanga wrote:

Uhhh WuShu is actually a internationally recognized martial art and sport. And one in which Jet Li has won 15 gold and 1 silver championship medals in. He was a martial artist FIRST before he became an actor. Also Wushu is VERY gymnastically oriented (hence why Li is capable of a lot of the feats he is - YES, some of it is wires, but not everything.)

I know it's 'teh internets' people, but do some research before talking about a topic.


Well, according to Wikipedia its a sport,

Quote:

Wushu (Chinese: 武术/武術; pinyin: wǔshù; literally "martial arts"), also known as modern wushu or contemporary wushu, ....

Wushu is composed of two disciplines: taolu (套路; forms) and sanda (散打; sparring)[1].

Wushu forms are martial art patterns and maneuvers for which competitors are judged and given points according to specific rules. The forms comprise basic movements (stances, kicks, punches, balances, jumps and sweeps) based on aggregate categories traditional Chinese martial art style and can be changed for competitions to highlight one's strengths. Competitive forms can vary in length from 1 minute, 20 seconds for the hard styles to over five minutes for internal styles.


That being said, in watching his movies, I see little real skill. I am NOT saying anything about what skills he might have, just that in the movies we see major wire work, clever cuts and highly choreographed "fights". It's a movie, we expect that. I am just saying that it doesn't make sense to expect any of what you see on screen to tranfer to reality. How good is he? Who knows? Competitions are pretty well controlled and not really representative of a street situation.

How much more research is needed for this topic?
odinstag
Sport is not real fighting.

Never will be never has been.

Don't matter hiw many championships one has.

When I watched a documentary on WuShu, it was discribed as a sport and film art. An art of fighting and making it look good.

I think it was Mind Body and Kick Ass Moves.
odinstag
Okay, maybe I need to clarify.

I like what Jet Li does. His movies are seldom boring and he is good at his job. So are the other actors and the film crew. But WuShu is still sport.

Not a bad skill to have. But most of the time sport arts are not effective in combat unless the opponent is just blindly attacking. Skilled attackers do not follow the rules of the ring.

My major interest in any art is it's effectiveness on the street. So I am a little Biased to say the least. Experience has taught me not to rely on sport systems because of the way they train. This makes them ineffective and weak against even unskilled aggressive opponents.
rightclickscott
He'd still kick your *sses, odinstag and felisleo.

Frankly, I don't really give a damn if it's real or not. And I don't want to argue. All I'm going to say is that I'm definetly seeing his last and his supposed final movie, "Fearless," with Allison, right when it comes out.
HoboPelican
rightclickscott wrote:
He'd still kick your *sses, odinstag and felisleo.

Frankly, I don't really give a damn if it's real or not. And I don't want to argue. All I'm going to say is that I'm definetly seeing his last and his supposed final movie, "Fearless," with Allison, right when it comes out.


Hey, he'd probably kick MY a**, too, man. For me the important thing is that the movie rocks! I dont care if the lead is Amanda Bynes kicking bad guy butt, as long as the movie makes it believeable Laughing
redwulfe
WuShu is a sport corect but so is what Karate, Taikwando, and many other martial arts have become. They are all judged by strict standards of training and in compitition by rules. I am currently a practitioner of tradition Shoalin Gonfu. WuShu is basically a sort form of Gong fu, bu thte sparing and training techniques are very simular.

Jet Li has been training in WuShu for a very long time but because he is in a movie should not invalidate that skill. In a street fight many factors will determine the winner of the fight. Strength, agillity(speed and accuracy), knowledge, expereince, and your ability to keep you head in the fight. The person who has more aptitude in these catagories will generaly win the fight.

All martial arts even sport arts train the artist, giving him knowledge in several manuevers and their practicle uses. To be abel to carry out the manuevers, especially in most arts that use gymnastics, the artist must become more agile and stronger. In most arts the sparing is used to put an artist in combat situations so that they can gain expereince and learn to not loose their head in the middle of a real fight. Most martial arts though do not allow full contact. Gongfu, kickboxing, Mui Thai, Judo and Wushu are some of the few that allow contact in their sparing. This in my opinion makes a major diffrence in a street fight against fighters that earned all of their attributes by fighting, rather than training.

Jet Li is a high caliber WuShu artist. This does not mean that he can whip everyone he meets on the street, knowone can. But it does mean that he's no chump either.

Tim
HoboPelican
redwulfe wrote:
....
Jet Li is a high caliber WuShu artist. This does not mean that he can whip everyone he meets on the street, knowone can. But it does mean that he's no chump either.


No Argument from me. That sounds pretty balanced. It got me curious though about the different forces involved in a boxing punch vs a karate-type hit. I found the following of a Q&A board. The quick facts are that a karate-type hit falls in the 70-330 ft-lb range. A boxers in 700-1000 ft-lbs. Remember this is just physics and has NO bearing on what would happen in a "real" fight. I dont know what I'm talking about, so if I'm using terms incorrectly, feel free to correct me.Wink



Quote:
John Jones answered on January 23, 2004:

There's an article in the April 1979 issue of Scientific American, by a physics instructor and karateka, which covers this.

According to the article, the speed of a top karateka's fist is between 10 and 15 m/s. This measurement was made using high-speed film, and confirmed using a strobe light.

We can calculate the energy of the blow using the kinetic energy = 1/2 mv^2 calculation. The mass of the fist plus forearm is 2-4 kg, so the total energy is in the range 100-450 Joules, or 70-330 foot-lbs.

The difference between a boxer's punch and a karateka's punch is that the boxer is trying to maximize the transfer of momentum to his opponent. So the boxer will put more of his body weight behind the punch and follow through, whereas the karateka will snap back his fist after impact. The energy of the karate punch is delivered more quickly, and is more likely to do local damage, rather than knocking the opponent backwards.

How much energy is there in a boxer's punch? Imagine an uppercut that lifts the opponent off the ground. The energy required to do this is mgh, where m is the mass of the opponent, g the acceleration due to gravity, and h the height to which the opponent is lifted. A realistic value for h might be 0.1 m; if we take the opponent's weight to be 100 kg, this requires about 1000 J of energy (or 700 foot-pounds). So an upper limit of 1000 foot-pounds is not out of the question.
felisleo
rightclickscott wrote:
He'd still kick your *sses, odinstag and felisleo.

Frankly, I don't really give a damn if it's real or not. And I don't want to argue. All I'm going to say is that I'm definetly seeing his last and his supposed final movie, "Fearless," with Allison, right when it comes out.


well , not if i have the chance to throw a head first Laughing
i have seen fearless by the way.it is a gotta see movie.the action scenes are better then many other jet li movies..
also i think bruce lee was more realistic and he could really beat up a hundred kg guy..
Sappho
redwulfe wrote:
Taikwando, and many other martial arts have become.


Its Taekwondo, damn you are lucky my coach isnt reading this forum Smile

Talking about Jet-li lets say i wouldnt want to face him, maybe bare hands i may take a hit or two (i have 2nd kup, red belt in Taekwon-do) but with a pole or swords i mean that guy must be unbeatable. He's got amazing speed and thats what its all about, speed and reflexes, yep and stamina if the fight isnt over in a matter of seconds Wink
canadol
odinstag wrote:
What he does on the big screen is Wu Shu(SP?).

It is a martial art that is for nothing but looking good on the screen.

He may know some self defense.

He may be able to win a bar fight against some idiot thug.

He will get his butt kicked by a trained FIGHTER. He is an actor, not an *** kicker.


exactly and there are many other like him
redwulfe
HoboPelican wrote:
I found the following of a Q&A board. The quick facts are that a karate-type hit falls in the 70-330 ft-lb range. A boxers in 700-1000 ft-lbs.


That's really cool. Where did you get this info?

Tim
redwulfe
Sappho wrote:
Its Taekwondo, damn you are lucky my coach isnt reading this forum Smile



Thanks for the correction. Sounds like instructors are all the same. Mine would beet me for even tring to defend another martial art especially Wushu or Taekwondo. Smile But I think All martial arts are good in their own ways.

Tim
Sappho
redwulfe wrote:
Sappho wrote:
Its Taekwondo, damn you are lucky my coach isnt reading this forum Smile



Thanks for the correction. Sounds like instructors are all the same. Mine would beet me for even tring to defend another martial art especially Wushu or Taekwondo. Smile But I think All martial arts are good in their own ways.

Tim


I dont see anything wrong with defending other martial arts, after all the principle and way of training is similar too all of em, just the techniques are different. The main goal is to find inner balance and with repeating get to the point to use techniques at pure reflex level without thinking, doesn't matter what martial art it is. Wink
HoboPelican
redwulfe wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:
I found the following of a Q&A board. The quick facts are that a karate-type hit falls in the 70-330 ft-lb range. A boxers in 700-1000 ft-lbs.


That's really cool. Where did you get this info?

Tim


The site I found was :
<http://www.science.ca/askascientist/viewquestion.php?qID=821>

I found it using Google with a search string of "+karate +punch +force +boxer"
em0o
Jet Li is an amazing martial artist. It was said in his films during the fighting scenes, they have to slow the filming in order to capture his movements. He is THAT fast.
Related topics
What is your favourite movie?
Who is your favorite actor/actress?
STEVEN WRIGHT QUOTES
A "small" list of free apps
Free DHTML scripts for begginers
Top airline slogans you'll never hear
Any Martial Arts movie buffs?
the 9/11 truth
MiG-21f fighter jet on eBay
The Last Movie You Saw?
Jet Force Gemini!
The forbidden Kingdom
Mummy III
top 10 chinese martial arts movies
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Movies and Television

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.