FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Thursday Next" - Jasper Fforde

dark_lard
I searched and was amazed to not find anything! Has anyone else read the Thursday Next book series? I have only been able to finish the first 3. I have not been able to find the fourth but my time has been pretty used up lately. These books have gotten me back into books. So has some CS Lewis, and George Grant works but those weren't as much for entertainment reading. I would LOVE to hear some feedback from anyone else who has read this book series.

If you have NOT read any of these here is a "back of the book" synopsys.

Quote:
Jasper Fforde has a rich imagination that moves in wacky directions, an off-the-wall sense of humor that never quits, and a deep knowledge and love of literature which give shape and substance to this hilarious "thing" he's created. Not really a mystery, sci-fi thriller, satire, or fluffy fantasy, this wild rumpus contains elements of all these but feels like a completely new genre. Fforde combines "real" people from the "historically challenged" world of his plot with characters from classic novels, adding dollops of word play, irony, literary humor, satire--and even a dodo bird--just for spice.

With "real" characters who can stop time or travel back and forth in it, hear their own names (the names here are really terrific!) from 1000 yards away, appear in duplicate before themselves to give advice, travel inside books, and change the outcome of history, the reader journeys through Fforde's looking glass into a different and far more literary universe than the one we know. Thursday Next, a SpecOp-27 in the Literary Detective Division of Special Operations, is looking for Acheron Hades, who has stolen the original manuscript of Martin Chuzzlewit and killed one of the characters in it, thereby changing the story forever. Thursday and the Literatecs are trying to prevent him from getting inside Jane Eyre and committing further murders.

If you have not read Jane Eyre recently, your pleasure in this book will be greatly enhanced if you look up a brief plot summary on-line before proceeding too far--the ending of Jane Eyre as we know it is different from the ending of Jane Eyre as Thursday Next knows it, and the differences themselves become a delightful part of this plot. Though some readers seem to feel that the book would benefit from a bit of pruning in order to strengthen its conclusion, that suggestion seems to me to be too much like Acheron Hades changing Martin Chuzzlewit or Jane Eyre--if you do that, something is irreparably lost--and this book is so much fun that I'd hate to lose even a single word! Mary Whipple

That was a review done by Mary Whipple and I pulled it from Amazon.com it's the first book in the Thursday Next series.
AftershockVibe
You didn't look too far Wink but it does seem rather odd that no-one replied to my previous topic on the same subject;
http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28718&highlight=fforde

Quote:
Has anyone read any of his Thursday Next series?
Absolute brilliance! They have a kind of Pratchett-Adams-esque quirk to them and a superb storyline.

Also, if you're quite well read you will enjoy them even more as they themselves draw on a lot of classics for inspiration and parody.

I thought his books were brilliant. They are very well thought out and incredibly funny and interesting to read.

If you haven't already you might want to check out www.jasperfforde.com there's a lot of interesting stuff about the characters and how the plots came together.