FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Name one computer feature you never understood





izcool
I think this thread should be a little bit interesting, as I do have one thing that I never really understood about Windows. This (I think) applies with Windows 98 and upwards to Windows XP.

I seen this on my Windows 98 desktop (this was several years ago, when I was watching the countdown for Windows XP on their website), it's called "My Briefcase".

What the heck is "My Briefcase" ?

If anyone here knows how to use it, please explain it to me, and for those who do have a question or never understood something about Windows or with computers, feel free to post it here, since more than likely someone will help you out with it.

- Mike.
wumingsden
izcool wrote:
I think this thread should be a little bit interesting, as I do have one thing that I never really understood about Windows. This (I think) applies with Windows 98 and upwards to Windows XP.

I seen this on my Windows 98 desktop (this was several years ago, when I was watching the countdown for Windows XP on their website), it's called "My Briefcase".

What the heck is "My Briefcase" ?

If anyone here knows how to use it, please explain it to me, and for those who do have a question or never understood something about Windows or with computers, feel free to post it here, since more than likely someone will help you out with it.

- Mike.


Ahhh, I remember this. I have only used the feature once, and that was to test it out. I'm actually not even sure that my Windows XP has it Confused

Anyways, its a little hard to describe but I will do my best. Its like a compressed file, which updates automatially.

Err ... ok, i forgot the rest Embarassed

..... So i searched and fount this:

Quote:
The Briefcase feature in Windows XP helps you keep your files updated by automatically synchronizing multiple copies of individual files. In other words, Briefcase keeps track of the relationship between files on two or more computers. For example, if you use a desktop computer at the office, and you use a portable computer when you are on the road, Briefcase synchronizes and updates the files on your desktop computer to the modified versions when you reconnect your portable computer to the desktop computer.

Briefcase stores and displays the update status of files. It keeps track of whether a file is linked to the original file on your main computer, or whether it is an orphan file (a file stored in Briefcase that is not linked to another file). You can use this information to keep your files organized and to keep track of the most recent versions of your files.

Use Briefcase when you use two or more computers to work on files, and when you need to frequently transfer files between computers by using a direct cable connection or a removable disk.


From: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307885

The link above also tells you how to create one.
benjad
Math Co-processor.


My first computer (386- 33mhz), was soo cool (and expensive) because it has a math coprocessor. What was that? What ever happened to them?
zuk4u
benjad wrote:
Math Co-processor.


My first computer (386- 33mhz), was soo cool (and expensive) because it has a math coprocessor. What was that? What ever happened to them?


From wikipedia:
Quote:

The math co-processor was a common addition to high-end computers like the Mac II and most workstations that required the capability to do floating-point arithmetic, but until the early 1990s the demand for such capabilities was minimal.(...)
Eventually, the functionality of the math co-processor was of enough importance to be integrated into the primary CPU, eliminating the need for a separate component.(...)


You can read rest of the definition here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_co-processor
alienjones
The other day my win2k booted with a bluescreen saying "inaccessible_bootdrive" and suggested booting into recovery console and typing "chkdsk /f" there to fix the problem.

So i did and the console replied "unknown parameter".
There is no /f parameter for chkdsk so this is the thing I don't understand - programmers writting non-sense help-advices. Evil or Very Mad
S3nd K3ys
Easy. The User.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
GProject
alienjones wrote:
So i did and the console replied "unknown parameter".
There is no /f parameter for chkdsk so this is the thing I don't understand - programmers writting non-sense help-advices. Evil or Very Mad


Yeah, there is a /f parameter. It's the 'fix' parameter which means that CheckDisk will automatically fix any errors it finds.

In order to use the command properly you have to type:

chkdsk [your drive letter]: /f

So if you were checking drive C:\ it would be:

chkdsk c: \f

Hope that helps!
Bones
Not sure about Win 2k, but there is no /f switch for chkdsk in WinXp recovery console. Yes there is a /f switch, but you can only use it from cmd prompt...not recovery console.

In recovery console, use chkdsk /p for a probe and chkdsk /r for a full 5 stage chkdsk.
If you really want to use the /f (it doesnt take near as long as /r) then try running it from a command prompt. If it is the system drive, then it wil prompt you to restart the pc so the volume can be unmounted for the scan.
Talk2Tom11
I agree with the first post... my briefcase has to be the stupidest thing microsoft has made. It is essentially just another folder with a different icon attached to it. Not sure exactly what i would even put in a virtual briefcase.
snowboardalliance
Talk2Tom11 wrote:
I agree with the first post... my briefcase has to be the stupidest thing microsoft has made. It is essentially just another folder with a different icon attached to it. Not sure exactly what i would even put in a virtual briefcase.


A while back I found that in windows 98. I tried it to keep a backup of my files on a floppy disk lol. It was just as slow as dirt just to open on that old computer. It was pretty pointless.
D'Artagnan
The My Briefcase, is meant to ppl that don't know how to use it (executives O.o), in windows vista will have other name "virtual folder" or something like that and will be some features +....

There's a lot of things that seems useless in windows...
(the names might be wrong cuz i'm using a portguese version of win)

Netmeeting and AdressBook - who the hell use that?

The IE content manangment system - is horrible someone even tried to used those thing??

ActiveDesktop - is not only useless is a barb of the channels feature in win98 that's completelly useless too... beyond being totally buggy O.o..

Syncronize and Off-line files - someone use it? even in a network?

Hyperterminal - that's the worst, who in the XX century will dial to a BBS?

Narrator - Ok its cool tho make he say shit, but noone will use it the voice is totally crap...

and the BIGGEST - the MOST useless thing in the world the exclude explorer button...


there's a thing i've installed in linux that made me laught - its called BL and its do the locks leds blink UHaiuHAIuhauihAIUhA....
izcool
At my school they set up their Windows 2000 / Windows XP computers to synchronize the edited files on the user's account to update to the server when logging off. That's all that I know of with synchronizing on when it's being used.

To be perfectly honest, if I wanted to browse for a folder on a computer, I just use the standard My Documents or My Computer views (heck, even IE and Recycle Bin use the same sort of thing) but I never, ever use the Folders button that's on the top of those windows. (It acts as Windows Explorer, which I never ever used). I don't use the file tree to find my files, I just double-click and eventually get to what I need. That's one thing that I like about Windows actually, where there are several ways to accomplish a task. For instance, there's at least 3 different ways I know to copy a folder, text, etc. Control + C, right-mouse-click and then Copy, or Edit and then Copy. I generally use the keyboard shortcut or the mouse shortcut, but hardly ever the Edit menu.

- Mike.
moonblade
Something that I don't understand about PCs, or rather, OSes is the tendency to over-simplify everything. If one compares Win 98SE with Win XP, one might be much surprised about the mysterious disappearance of many of the rather useful features. Not to mention making Format, one of the most useful commands on a Windows PC ever so hard to access that it's a pain in the ass for one that doesn't know how. Inability to launch pure DOS in Windows XP machines is appaling as well. Now, why take it out? They did take care to put in a DOS Prompt anyway, so it's not like it'd be that huge of a problem to incorporate the "Pure DOS" diagnostic feature. 2K had it, unless I'm gravely mistaken.

Yeah, well. I guess it's done for the sake of the so-called "Casual Users", a mysterious breed that apparently format their HDDs in the thousands daily. Now, to get some tweaking done, I have to download 3rd-party software or dig through hundreds of registery keys. So yay to that.

Of course, that's still okay. What -isn't- okay is this installer I've seen once, I think it was from EA (Blech). It had a "Basic Mode" and an "Advanced Mode". Can you guess what the "Advanced Mode" did?

Oh yeah. It allowed you to set a different folder
anthonygerbils
what i never understood is that on windows vista dsl's will not work without ethernet but on xp they will and that to me is a downsize as vista is ment to be an up size ??? and also i never understood the fact that windows keeps saying that it found new hardware even thought u installed their (windows ) drivers ??? and the fact that their help allways involves restarting or contact someone else as we cant help u?
although these are stupid things they are frustrating things.. anyway i hope that vista will show the way and from what i have tested it looks promising...
Bones
moonblade wrote:
They did take care to put in a DOS Prompt anyway, so it's not like it'd be that huge of a problem to incorporate the "Pure DOS" diagnostic feature. 2K had it, unless I'm gravely mistaken.


You are gravely mistaken. It is impossible to put 'pure dos' in win2k, XP or even the new vista. The reason is because since Windows 2000, there is no dos kernel anymore. The kernel is now ntfs and does not use dos at all. In 95/98/ME it was easy to boot to pure dos, becuase you were really just booting the pc without executing the explorer shell aka the GUI

Although, since a command line shell is really necessary in any OS, you will always have a way to get to a command prompt.

anthonygerbils wrote:
what i never understood is that on windows vista dsl's will not work without ethernet but on xp they will and that to me is a downsize as vista is ment to be an up size ??? and also i never understood the fact that windows keeps saying that it found new hardware even thought u installed their (windows ) drivers ??? and the fact that their help allways involves restarting or contact someone else as we cant help u?


Are your wireless drivers installed? Even though you installed the Windows drivers, doesnt mean that all your drivers are installed. Your drivers come from the hardware manufacturers, not microsoft.
Click on Start then type device manager and press enter
Look through the list and see if anything is listed as an 'other device' or look for items that have red X's or yellow ! or ? on them.
Right now though, wireless connections are pretty buggy in vista as most of the network code is being recoded. This is a good thing as I find my transfer rates have almost doubled from XP to Vista.

Also, Vista is a beta OS (read: Test version) so the help files are not complete yet. Actually, almost every help file I have read for vista says this at the top..

BTW what build of Vista are you running? Try to get 5456 if you have access to it. It is the latest interim build released to the msdn subscribers and MS Connect technical testers. It is a huge improvement over earlier builds,and it looks like they are getting pretty close to RC1
champ_rock
What is a UDP tracker for torrents??.. i have tried it several times but it never manages to download the file with a udp tracker.. i have never understood whats it all abt..
kv
Registry! Windows registry. I never understood why it was required in the first place.
fireydeviant
IRQs: Interrupt Requests

I know what they are and what they do, I have just always wondered: Why aren't there more of them?

Considering how people are running into IRQ conflicts with all the addons to be had today, one would think they would add more, or make it scaleable, or something.

Quote:
Registry! Windows registry. I never understood why it was required in the first place.


http://www.tech-pro.net/intro_reg.html :
"You can think of the Registry as a database for storing and accessing configuration data."

If I remember correctly, linux uses /etc for its config files, usually .conf or something. Windows just took it and made it one big thing.
kv
Quote:
If I remember correctly, linux uses /etc for its config files, usually .conf or something. Windows just took it and made it one big thing.


Exactly that is what i didn't understand. Making it big thing and bringing in lot of complexities and vulnerabilities.
Ray Salamon
D'Artagnan wrote:

Hyperterminal - that's the worst, who in the XX century will dial to a BBS?

I take it you never connected to a router or switch to configure, eh?

Most useless feature ever... "Tour Windows XP". Like... c'mon MS... if you have to give new users a tour, then perhaps a little re-engineering is at hand...

-Ray

Edit:
fireydeviant wrote:
IRQs: Interrupt Requests

I know what they are and what they do, I have just always wondered: Why aren't there more of them?

Considering how people are running into IRQ conflicts with all the addons to be had today, one would think they would add more, or make it scaleable, or something.

With contemporary IRQ sharing, conflicts are all but eliminated. Remember back to the days of the 486DXs where you had to actually sit down and think them out? Well, I do. But, luckily, thanks to advancement, we needn't worry about that. Only time you really get any conflict is when you try to run older hardware in a newer system... but those are even getting rare.
zorindart
I think MS Paint to be one of the more useless XP's features. It's so weak that you'll hardly found a worse prog, even for free!
And the WordPad is almost as bad as Paint!
Bones
Of course it's useless. If Microsoft tries to add aything useful to Windows, they get sued.

Even google tried to jump on the 'lets sue MS' bandwagon, till the judge laughed them outta court.
FunFunkyFritz
* If you got a (temporarily) inaccessible smb partition permanently mounted, some M$ programs will continuously try to access it, and they do it in the main thread. The result is that the application seems frozen while it waits for the smb timeout. Same thing happends for the explorer from time to time. When that happends the whole computer freezes up momentarily. You can still move the mouse about, but that's it.

* Whenever you by accident click on A: it feels like the whole XP freezes momentarily while it tries to read the floppy (does not matter if your computer has a floppy installed or not).

These problems are easily fixable, using a background thread. But i guess there is some backward compability issue with the OS (win98,ME,NT,XP) itself.
big_matt13
What i have never understood is why they invented VGA, the signal is exactly the same as DVI, because the graphics card converts the digital signal to analogue, sends it over the vga cable, and then when it gets to the monitor its converted back to a digital signal for the monitor to process.

and whats more is that the longer your vga cable is, the worse the signal is because the analogue signal depletes furthur depending on the length of the cable. whereas with DVI it doesn't matter because the signal stays digital. Rolling Eyes
prongs_386
i think you'll find that vga is a standard cable that has been around longer than dvi and most devices use a ad converter (analog to digital).
wowz
Personally, the thing I don't get about computers...

...is the duel coffee cup holders. I mean, why would they have one right below the other? Obviously if you have the first tray out, you can't put coffee in the one under it, or vice versa. It's stupid.

And what's with the mouse pad? If I don't have a mouse pad, I can move my mouse around more. But if I do... I can only move it to the end of the pad. Less versatility. Stupid again.

If I have wireless internet, why do I have to plug my modem in?

I called tech support and they told me to write click on my desktop... what the heck is that about? How would me writting on my computer desk solve a problem with my screen being dark?

Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil
swizzy
My Briefcase is easy to sync files if you have them on removable medias and update it at two different places, e.g. you do yourk work at home and office, the files are automatically updated and the original is also cleverly updated. but this M$ feature also sux, just like thier OS
Jaan
Never understood how processors work, and won't be bothered to find out Wink .
I also don't get why I believe that wired internet is faster than wireless Razz.
XeononyX
wowz wrote:
Personally, the thing I don't get about computers...

...is the duel coffee cup holders. I mean, why would they have one right below the other? Obviously if you have the first tray out, you can't put coffee in the one under it, or vice versa. It's stupid.

And what's with the mouse pad? If I don't have a mouse pad, I can move my mouse around more. But if I do... I can only move it to the end of the pad. Less versatility. Stupid again.

If I have wireless internet, why do I have to plug my modem in?

I called tech support and they told me to write click on my desktop... what the heck is that about? How would me writting on my computer desk solve a problem with my screen being dark?

Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil


LOLZ I have actually got someone who once who returned a computer to me when I worked at circuit city claiming thier cup holder broke. Seriously, no joke. Funny thing is we still had to replace it.
XeononyX
alienjones wrote:
The other day my win2k booted with a bluescreen saying "inaccessible_bootdrive" and suggested booting into recovery console and typing "chkdsk /f" there to fix the problem.

So i did and the console replied "unknown parameter".
There is no /f parameter for chkdsk so this is the thing I don't understand - programmers writting non-sense help-advices. Evil or Very Mad


Common problem easy solution I call this one the "Kid Crash" usually happens when kids go nuts and turn on and off the computer mid-bootup sometimes your system loses some boot files when happening:

Heres the scoop:
Quote:
Chkdsk
Creates and displays a status report for the disk. Chkdsk also lists and corrects errors on the disk.

The chkdsk command with the parameters listed below is only available when you are using the Windows 2000 Recovery Console, which can be started from the Windows 2000 Setup program. The chkdsk command with different parameters is available from the command prompt in Windows 2000.

chkdsk [drive:] [/p] [/r]

Parameters

none

Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the current drive.

drive:

Specifies the drive that you want chkdsk to check.

/p

Performs an exhaustive check even if the drive is not marked for chkdsk to run. This parameter does not make any changes to the drive.

/r

Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. Implies /p.


So the first thing you do is run a chkdsk [drive] /r.

Still if no dice do this one:

Quote:
Fixboot
Writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition. The fixboot command is only available when you are using the Windows 2000 Recovery Console, which can be started from the Windows 2000 Setup program.

fixboot [drive]

Parameter

drive

The drive to which a boot sector will be written. This replaces the default drive, which is the system partition you are logged on to. An example of a drive is:

D:

Example

The following example writes a new partition boot sector to the system partition in drive D:

fixboot d:



Fixboot fixes 95% of all boot problems and usually resolves all errors, however if errors still persists I point the virtual finger to your Hard Drive be sure to buy a new IDE / SATA cable before buying a new HD problems can lie there too.
wavecage
swizzy wrote:
My Briefcase is easy to sync files if you have them on removable medias and update it at two different places, e.g. you do yourk work at home and office, the files are automatically updated and the original is also cleverly updated. but this M$ feature also sux, just like thier OS


Yeah, I found out what it does by accident. I plugged a thyumb drive into a clients laptop, right-clicked in explorer to create a new folder but accidentally chose "New Briefcase" and lo and behold I had a folder on my thumb drive full of the clients porn files!
AutoTechGuy
Documentation errors...

They keep telling me to press the "Any" key...

I'm sooo confused... I see END.. INS.... PRT.. DEL.. but NOOO ANY key.

I tried hitting the flag-like thing once and this stupid menu thing came up... but it still asked for the ANY key... GRRRR

*EDIT*.. oh I figured it out... hold down ALT and press F4... apparently that feature was designed as a work around for keyboards that don't have an ANY key. It made the message go away REAL quick!

Actually what is funny is to be at command prompt. In the old days you would hit CTRL S to pause the display, and although that function still works, with the faster computer the whole thing zooms past and is done before you even have TIME to hit CTRL S. I remember the first time I used a pentium.. well that's when I learned about the |more command hahaha
fadirocks
What somebody said MSPaint is horrible I don't think so I think it does what supposed to do give it to a kid and you can keep that kid busy for hours
also Wordpad is great I use it to view txt files larget than notepad can handle also it has very good tool if you how to use it's a good tool

Briefcase yea I had no idea too Very Happy

for Windows XP "Windows Catalog" i still have it in the start menu and not going to touch it Razz and don't really care what it does
izcool
AutoTechGuy wrote:
Documentation errors...

They keep telling me to press the "Any" key...

I'm sooo confused... I see END.. INS.... PRT.. DEL.. but NOOO ANY key.

I tried hitting the flag-like thing once and this stupid menu thing came up... but it still asked for the ANY key... GRRRR

*EDIT*.. oh I figured it out... hold down ALT and press F4... apparently that feature was designed as a work around for keyboards that don't have an ANY key. It made the message go away REAL quick!

Actually what is funny is to be at command prompt. In the old days you would hit CTRL S to pause the display, and although that function still works, with the faster computer the whole thing zooms past and is done before you even have TIME to hit CTRL S. I remember the first time I used a pentium.. well that's when I learned about the |more command hahaha


Perhaps you read the books wrong, as it probably says to "Press ANY key" and NOT "Press the ANY key". There's a significant difference between those two phrases. But still, if I were up to it, I would just say to tap the Enter/Return key instead of making people wonder about that.

I think that if you press the Pause/Break key on your keyboard that it will pause the screen from doing anything when you're turning the machine on. Not too sure about that though, but that's what I've read.

I can agree with another poster on here with how they make it very simple to do things. For instance, I found out that when you hold down the Shift and Insert keys, it does the exact same thing as a Paste (such as Control and V). Couldn't they use that function to do something better than that if there's already a key shortcut to that ?

- Mike.
technology.sponge
Task Manager

aka Ctrl-Alt-Del or as Windows 98 users call it, the 3 fingered salute

WTH is the point of it?? Yes, its supposed to close crashed/hung apps etc but its weak and pointless

80% of the time, it cant terminate the crashes apps, only to pop up a window about 10 mins later asking for debug

it has no ability to kill processes past basic user apps such as msn messenger or a tray utility you may hav installed

and anyway, when you have a major system crash ie 4+ programs frozen/explorer died etc, when you open task manager, it freezes. Then you clikc on the close button and task manager pops up again, saying that task manager is frozen and then simultaneously crashes as well. so the process goes on...

good thing you can get kernel level 3rd party process managers Very Happy
anthonygerbils
what i never understood was the command (cmd) as i was so confused what it was for but now i use it all the time
zorindart
My keyboard has a key called "Scroll Lock" and another one called "Pause/Break". As far as I can remember, I have never used them, and I have no idea about their real function.
The scroll lock key is intended to temporarily stop the scrolling of text or halt the operation of a program, but it doesn't seems to work on any of my programs. No idea of what the Pause/Break key does.
Do you ever used them?
andy26
izcool wrote:
I think this thread should be a little bit interesting, as I do have one thing that I never really understood about Windows. This (I think) applies with Windows 98 and upwards to Windows XP.

I seen this on my Windows 98 desktop (this was several years ago, when I was watching the countdown for Windows XP on their website), it's called "My Briefcase".

What the heck is "My Briefcase" ?

If anyone here knows how to use it, please explain it to me, and for those who do have a question or never understood something about Windows or with computers, feel free to post it here, since more than likely someone will help you out with it.

- Mike.


hi first of all my brief case is used in all versions of windows from at least 95. this application is so simple and easy to use it is basicly a aplication that syncronizes files that you want to copy and have a backup of and keeps ur data up to date here is a more detaild description if you have say another hard drive and you want to backup contense from your other hard drive this could also be done with a floppy disk rewritable cd any way you make the briefcase then you add files that you want to back up into the folder then you can update the orignal files then when you want to update your backup files on the other drive you can click the update tab on the briefcase which will copy and update all the recently eddited files. sorry for the confusing description but im feeling quite ill with a cold at them moment hope iv help you.
Related topics
islam is...
Ur favorite Computer Brand
PlayStation 3
Should Lord of the Flies be taught in schools?
Gmail = Functions missing!!
Are atheists more likely to be fellons?
What do you think about Mac OS X?
The Last Temptation of Christ(1988)
A Winner is not only who never fails !!!! But never quits !!
Best Gaming System is best
Computer Games Never Played
The blue screen of death
Megaman Phoenix
Kindle Global
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.