FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

VPN Connection between Ubuntu (server) and windows XP

marioflory
Hey all

I've got a question for you all.
I have a network at home consisting of 2 windows machines and 1 ubuntu workstation. Now I would like to include another windows machine over internet using a cable modem internet connection. My network at home has a wireless router connected to an zyxel 642ME adsl modem using a 600kbit connection.
I thought I could set up a vpn server either on a windows machine or my ubuntu system at home and connect the remote windows machine using a vpn client.
I already had a look at a software called openVPN, I think it could work with it. But I wasn't sure if I could configure everything correctly. So maybe you know something very easy or you know an easy cookbook kind of manual.
I also read about something called hamashi or something like that, which can to vpn connection "very easy"... anyone knows something about it???

Would love to hear any comments on this.

And yeah, what I want to do is actually filesharing, let my mp3 play on the remote machine, using the network for printing...
LethcanAernis
Hello,
Windows XP can only be a VPB client, not a VPN server.. so you have to make Ubuntu the as the VPN server.

There is a software called FreeSWAN, but I'm sure OpenVPN is as good or maybe even the same with different name.

I think ClakConnect is free for private use.. that is a VERY good VPN server (Firewall etc) Idea