FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

python n00b

IceNinjaa
well i want to get involved with python. problem is i dont know what the best program is to write and compile the code in. any suggestions would be great.
FunFunkyFritz
I'm using Komodo, It's a really *great* tool and it exists both on win and Linux platforms.
http://activestate.com/Products/Komodo/?mp=1

I have not found any free IDE worth the effort for python though.
lasdjfk
IceNinjaa wrote:
well i want to get involved with python. problem is i dont know what the best program is to write and compile the code in. any suggestions would be great.

I have only used the built-in IDLE, it has worked very fine for me. To compile it I used py2exe, since I'm using WinXP.
[url]python.org[/url] has quit some information.
rafifaisal
Could anyone tell me what the advantages are of Python over other languages ?
I know it is a very simple and easy, no nonsense language. But any more advantages.
FunFunkyFritz
rafifaisal wrote:
Could anyone tell me what the advantages are of Python over other languages ?
I know it is a very simple and easy, no nonsense language. But any more advantages.

++++ pro ++++++
* I look at it as the "better perl" anything you can do in perl you can do (better) in python, and as a side effect your code will be readable and maintainable next week too!

* While other languages require many third party libraries to do even the simplest thing, python comes with (almost) everything you ever going to need. This makes your programs very version independent. Don't get me wrong, there is a large collection of third party libraries for python, but probably you won't be needing those.

* Truly platform independent (just like perl and even better than Java)
* Python is GPL (unlike Java)
* If an error is found in the python libraries it will be fixed in the next version or so, this is unlike Java. Those Java guys sometimes chooses NOT to fix bugs because they claim "fixing the bug will break backward compability". This causes idiotic bug-work-arounds in the code. Totally unmaintainable.

----- con -----
* The perl and Java communities are larger
* Lack of good and free python IDEs.