FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SATA II on SATA I motherboard

BCP88
Is it possible to connect a SATA II hard disk on a SATA I motherboard? My motherboard is a Asus K8V SE Deluxe
SoftStag
Yes, they are backwards compatible. You should have no problems. Although the data transfer is not potentially as high as the motherboard has a slower interface than the drive.
Muscae
Yes you can. Anyway on most sataII disk there is a jumper to set it transfer mode to sataI if you would have any problems. There is no performence lost !!! ( becouse at this moment there are no disk that are faster than 150MB/s )
Bones
Muscae wrote:
Yes you can. Anyway on most sataII disk there is a jumper to set it transfer mode to sataI if you would have any problems. There is no performence lost !!! ( becouse at this moment there are no disk that are faster than 150MB/s )

uh what? Almost all the new SATA drives transfer at 300MB/sec on a SATA 2 controller
http://westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=214
SoftStag
Bones wrote:
Muscae wrote:

uh what? Almost all the new SATA drives transfer at 300MB/sec on a SATA 2 controller
http://westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=214

Yes, all SATA 2 drives have an interface that can transfer at 300MB/s, but the drives are not capable of reading information that fast. It is not the interface that is the bottleneck, but the drive itself.

If you look at the spec for the drive you linked to, the Buffer to Host speed is 300MB/s, but the Buffer to Disk speed is 748Mbits/s. So the transfer of data between the host and disk is 748Mbits/s, which is less than 100MB/s. Therefore this drive on a SATA 1 interface would still perform about the same, only data in the buffer can be read quicker on SATA 2; and this would have negligible impact on overall performance.