FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Official] Security: Anti-Spyware/Virus, & Firewall

What is your Anti Virus
Norton
20%
 20%  [ 57 ]
Panda
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Kaspersky
13%
 13%  [ 37 ]
McAfee
6%
 6%  [ 18 ]
Avast
21%
 21%  [ 59 ]
NOD32
25%
 25%  [ 68 ]
F-Prot
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
BitDefender
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
COMODO
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Clam AntiVrus
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Microsoft Security Essentials
2%
 2%  [ 6 ]
I don't have an Anti Virus
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
AVG
3%
 3%  [ 9 ]
Other (please specify)
3%
 3%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 272

Helios
Tell us about the Anti Virus that you're using now(if you're using one).

I moved from NOD32 to F-Prot... moer professional and just better than any other anti virus.
orno
im still stuck on NOD32 Smile
has kept me safe for more than 2 years now...
then again so did norton, but atleast NOD isnt so much of a resource hog!
babumuchhala
oh damn i dont use any

the main reason is i dont have enough RAM, its just 64 MB SD RAM so its un upgradable and the os is Win XP

if i put an Anti vir my pc takes more than 5 minutes to boot.

but i do downloadan anti vir every sunday or so and do run a scan (no specific, just keeo trying)
VicTor
...Not using any of them.

I think Windows O/S is a Virus...so because I didn't find any anti-virus that can cure it, I moved to Linux.

Now..I don't need anti-virus because there is no viruses fo linux (..yet)
Camus
Like Victor, updates on my OS are including all softwares, so no security problems which virus can infects it, if I'm right, Anti-virus on GNU/Linux are used on servers, to protect Windows clients .
Ravi
I am using NAV 2004..

update it every week and configure it with minimum resource use..but till it consumes a lot..compare to other
n0obie4life
Holy, where did trendmicro go.
izcool
I use Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition, along with AVG Free Edition. They're both pretty good.

- Mike.
nhl4000
Avast here! Changed after my Norton AntiVirus 2005, said to activate the software and that my trial has expired where it wasn't a trial, and it was activated and it hadn't been a year yet. Twisted Evil
jvachez
I am using ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6
Screap
I used the GDATA AnitVirenKit v2004 and v2005
I tested the software on different computers. On the most computers it wasn't working correctly (nothing to do with windows version). Maybe the floppy drive was working all the time, or if there was really a virus on the computer, windows didn't start again. But if the program works it's very nice but uses many system resources.

I also used F-Prot and NAV 2005, these two are not bad but they could cause some problems on some games. They also use many system resouces.

I tryed out some other Programs but they aren't interesting.

Now I'm using the AVG Free-Edition (www.grisoft.com). This one is working very good on every PC and for free. Also very good on some older PCs because it uses just 7 MBRam and has a fast scan but is finding nearly everything.

A tip to secure your PC: Download all the Security- Windows- Updates.

And if your PC is infected by a virus which can't be deleted by your Anti- Virus- Program just use Hijackthis. I get every system running again with this tool.
Kit
Norton Professioanl decided on its own accord that a] my ISP was a virus carrier [it wasn't] and b] my bootfiles should be deleted costing me much worry and allot of money.

Until I get less angry, AVG free is the way for me.
digressive
Using Norton Internet Security 2005. I read a lot of complaints about it slowing computers down and such, so I downloaded the trial and installed it on my 866 P3 with 512mb of ram. Didn't notice any significant slowdown at all, so I bought it. The only time I have ever had a problem with a virus was in a year that I had decided to try out McAfee. It nuked my system trying to get rid of a virus. I had to reformat, and for grins I intentionally infected my computer with the same virus, then installed norton and it cleaned it right up with no problems at all.
guybrush
I would say kaspersky, but I think it is not necessary to use any antivirus software if you have a good firewall (such as kerio), and keep windows updated frequently. And remember to use Firefox/Opera instead of IE...
Indyan
Nothing can come close to Kaspersky in terms of quality.It is THE BEST.
Let the facts speak for themselves.

www.virus.gr
Rank

1. Kaspersky Personal Pro version 5.0.20 - 99.28%

2. AVK version 15.0.5 - 97.93%

3. F-Secure 2005 version 5.10.450 - 97.55%

4. eScan Virus Control version 2.6.518.8 - 96.75%

5. Norton Corporate version 9.0.3.1000 - 91.64%

6. Norton Professional version 2005 - 91.57%

7. McAfee version 9.0.10 - 89.75%

8. Virus Chaser version 5.0 - 88.31%

9. BitDefender version 8.0.137 - 88.13%

10. CyberScrub version 1.0 - 87.87%

11. Panda Platinum 2005 version 9.01.02 - 87.75%

12. Arcavir - 87.73%

13. MKS_VIR 2005 - 87.70%

14. RAV version 8.6.105 - 87.26%

15. F-Prot version 3.16b - 87.07%

16. Panda Titanium version 4.01.02 - 86.27%

17. PC-Cillin 2005 version 12.1.1034 - 85.98%

18. Nod32 version 2.12.4 - 85.66%

19. Command version 4.92.7 - 84.92%

20. AntiVir version 6.30.00.17 - 84.50%

21. Avast version 4.6.623 - 79.65%

22. Dr. Web version 4.32b - 78.71%

23. Sophos Sweep version 3.91 - 73.79%

24. UNA version 1.83 - 73.49%

25. BullGuard version 4.5 - 70.24%

26. Norman version 5.80.05 - 65.32%

27. Ikarus version 5.16 - 60.97%

28. AVG version 7.0.308 - 54.07%

29. E-Trust version 7.0.5.3 - 52.35%

30. ZoneAlarm with VET Antivirus version 5.5.062.011 - 52.32%

31. Vexira 2005 version 5.0.56 - 51.74%

32. VirusBuster 2005 version 5.0.147 - 51.51%

33. Solo 3.0 version 2.7.1 - 49.16%

34. Fire version 2.7 - 48.86%

35. ClamWin version 0.83 - 48.44%

36. Digital Patrol version 5.00.08 - 48.10%

37. V-Buster Pro - 46.33%

38. Protector Plus version 7.2.G01 - 45.81%

39. V3Pro 2004 - 38.87%

40. Ewido version 3.0 - 38.67%

41. ViRobot Expert version 4.0 - 38.10%

42. Quick Heal version 7.03 - 37.75%

43. VirScan Plus version 14.703 - 36.20%

44. MR2S version 2.0.104 - 35.05%

45. RHBVS version 4.60.821 - 32.96%

46. A Squared 2 version 1.6 - 25.37%

47. VirIT version 5.2.10 - 22.83%

48. TDS version 3.2.0 - 21.09%

49. Wave version 2.0 - 16.49%

50. AntiTrojan Shield version 1.4.0.15 - 11.91%
Grimboy
I use AVG free as it has a relitively small footprint and has worked well so far. (Also, it's free.) That open source virus-program looks interesting but it doesn't have up-to-date definitions.
Dimaod
I was using Norton Antivirus....
Now i am using NOD 32....
I think its the best one Cool
orcaz
I think Norton Antivirus is quite good. The only disadvantage is that it takes up lots of your RAM, so those with low RAM is not recommended Norton. However, I feel that it is quite secure. Works very well for me. It has protected me against lots of viruses, and my computer has never crashed of viruses since I used Norton.
lovekuverx
Hate bitterly the virus~"~find an anti-virus software now all very difficult
ROWDY!
You cant trust every site on the web!
Id say that the statistics you found on: www.virus.gr are extremely inaccurate. Most likely made up as it is impossible to acertain the percentage of virii detected by these programs out of the total currently in the wild!
Whats more the site is not verified by TrustWatch.
bananaphone
I use AVG Free Edition - its great and I never get a virus!!
shaggly
I also use AVG. I switched across from Norton, after trying Norton 2006, and getting even more frustrated with it than I did with 2005.

I've never looked back since to be honest. It does just as good a job, plus it's a lot more streamlined for someone who has other protections up and running.

I'd recommend NAV as well for those who don't know a lot about masking themselves or other techniques, as it's a very good inclusive noob AV kit.
Kd527
I don't have one other than Mac OS X!
sibbahz
I use antivir home on my computer, not the best but free.
Got antivir personal on the other pc. Both seem to do the job.
misterdimiz
I use AVAST. It's freeware for personal use and it has multilanguage support.
I like it.
mrby
I use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0 ... But actually this is not my choice, it is the choice of my company. I do not know the reason behind. I guess it is cheaper than others? Personally, I like Norton. I had used it for several years.
Josso
I use norton... I have been told to not go near it with a 50ft pole but it's not me that chooses the software on this machine.
James007
I use AVG, and I don't really understand why it isn't an option in your poll...
For the systems that can't handle the big virus scanners:
best freeware: AVG
best shareware: NOD32

James Smile
seanooi
I'm currently using McAfee and it's keeping me safe for now Laughing
garvalf4
My computer is safe from viruses because I'm using either macosx or linux !

But when I need to check if there is a virus in a file, I'm using clamav, it's free software.
You can get it from http://www.clamav.net/
Commando_Sondre
I use Avast!
It works just fine for me,
it allready have found 1 virus Very Happy

I also have installed:
Ad-aware, nice program
CCleaner, find a lot of crap
Spyware Search and Destroy, really nice program!

I check my computer almost every day!
neosree
I use AntiVir , a reliable and powerful antivirus.
Antivir is light on system resources. It has huristic scan too.
And the best part is it is free.

I also use Zone alarm, Spybot SnD, AdAware , Microsoft antispy, Spyware doctor, and Computer security tool for Security.
wowrashmi05
What's PANDA!?!?!?!
Arnie
Panda is an antivirus product just like the more commonly known Norton AntiVirus and the others mentioned in this topic. I use AVG Free.

Babumuchhala: why do you run XP on a computer with 64MB RAM? If you put 98 on that, for example AVG will run ok. It's a light antivirus. Windows XP simply isn't built for 64MB computers, but for 256MB or more.

ClamAV only scans if you tell it to, it doesn't have active monitoring which is a real downside.
Kyle
i checked and didnt see a topic like this, so here i go.

i have a terrible problem with spyware, i use adaware SE and spybot sd, but some gets left over, i used to use spyware doctor, but they stoped updating it for some reason, anyone have any suggestions??
i also have avg free
Animal
My main suggestion is to use more than one spyware remover!

Update Ad-Aware to it's most recent definitions files and run it. Update Spybot and run it. Download MS AntiSpy, update and run it.

Next, run an Anti-Virus scanner (AVG Free Edition is excellent and, as the title suggests, free - since you already have it, you should update it by right-clicking the icon in the system tray and hitting "Check for Updates". Install any updates it finds) and remove any viruses it finds.

Now, delete any system restore information (if you had a spyware infestation and it's been backed up by system restore, the anti-spy programs could not get rid of it). First, make a restore point manually by using System Restore (START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > SYSTEM RESTORE) then go to START > PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > DISK CLEANUP. Select the MORE OPTIONS tab and under "System Restore" click the button to remove all but the most recent restore point.

The next thing to check is in your ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS menu - some spyware programs (like Gator, Gain etc) are installed with other software. Check your uninstall list for any unrecognised programs and remove them.

The final step is to go to START > PROGRAMS > STARTUP and check for any programs that load in there. If there's anything you don't recognise or don't need to start with your computer every time, right-click and delete them from this part of the start menu.

I would recommend that you use a Firewall and keep your anti-virus program running at all times. This won't stop all spyware from reloading, but it should help.

You should also carefully check everything that you download before you install it. Many "free" programs (such as kazaa) install spyware when you install the software, so if you are going to use these programs, make sure you read the EULA to check what it is you're installing.
Kyle
thanks alot, i will try that
evil_P
another really good spyware scanner can be found at www.spywareinfo.com... they have a free online scanner that is pretty darn good.... a great compliment to what you're already using.
mae1strom
I have been using Avast for a number of years and have been totally satisfied with the program. It is very easy to use and have never had a problem with it.
windval
nod32 is faster and safer (i think)
aardvark
Not very PC to suggest it but Microsoft do have a reasonably product which can be downloaded for free at http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx.
Mozzah
i know of a few free spyware removers that are pretty decent
Spybot Search & Destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/
SpywareBlaster:http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

well two Razz
abhinav_shah
I have used Microsoft Antispyware and found if to be very effective.

http://www.abhinav.frih.net
Alya
I compared few spyware removers and found Pest Patrol to be most effective
kezialounel
i have tried Spybot, MS Antispyware, and many other antispyware programs, but i still found Ad-aware the best of them all.

it's free and easy to use
aningbo
the best choice u've got before u lost your mind:

Format your system and take precautionary measures before u open programs and sites. u'll get 'grey hair' looking for the best anti-spyware or watever it is .... nothing works... the 'kids' are always one step ahead.

that's it.
onyx
yah ms spyware is just another thing where MS will have "monopol"
theerawate
from www.virus.gr
Stealth viruses
They use the memory interrupts of the computer. Once a program calls a memory interrupt, the virus gets activated instead of the program itself. Stealth viruses perform one more function. They are capable of hiding from antivirus programs. That means, whenever they detect a scan function by the antivirus program, they temporarily restore the original non-infected file, so that the antivirus program will believe that there is are no viruses inside the system. Once the antivirus has finished its scan, they infect the file again. The specific method of hiding is often called "tunneling”.
------------
Sad How to detect Stealth viruses Question
pomp
Add Microsoft Antispyware to your arsenal. It has got variety of scanning modes including quick intelligent scan and detailed scan. Regular updates privacy management features some browser cleaning tools are also added . The best thing is that it has real time protection and denies any script or software to auto install without your permission.
win66
I suggest you try to download microsoft antispyware.Simple use and FREE.
s43ros
My friend recently switched me on to AVG from Norton mainly because it's free. As far as I can tell, they are both the same. I am sure after running it a long time I will be able to tell differences though
Animal
You should add AVG to that poll - it's extremely popular since it's free. It's also excellent - I replcaed Norton with it and noticed major differences. Less crashing, less intrusive, less expensive, less generally irritating and it uses less ram and processing power, so my computer went faster.
headlong
I am using Webroot Spy Sweeper and ZoneAlarm. Both are very good. Highly recommended.
blake
I have found adaware to be the best spyware remover on my pc, but it won't get everything. I don't think anything does.
The best thing to do is use a few other good ones as well like spybot, but if you can't spare the extra resources, you can just search in google for solutions to each spyware that get through the cracks.
I honestly couldn't take the hassle anymore and got a mac. Macs don't seem to be targeted by viruses or spyware at all. I have had no problems at all. Seriously, if you can stand losing some compatability and gaining some style, get a mac.
tengsoon
I used to believe in norton until it started conflicting with my system or something. Then when i tried uninstalling it, my windows crashed. After that i had to format the hard disk.

After that incident, i decided to switch to AVG free edition, saved me a whole lot of trouble and $$$.
Talk2Tom11
I was using norton antivirus... but it takes up soo much of my ram and slows my computer down. Also whenever there would be a virus it could never fix it. I got rid of it and just take care of my pc by myself by running checks every so often with other applications that do not require that i run them the whole time the computer is on. But rather only when i need to use them
aningbo
saying it again: Format your system and get some good firewall, the bundle that comes along with windos xp is good enough. and make sure you dont open sites and programs which you dont know!
onur
now MKS is better than others
aardvarks
I use avg free, its awesome. i use it because its:
1)free
2)reliable
3)free
4)easy to use
XIAO_MENG
Ad-Aware. very fast.
DX-Blog
Ad-Aware aint an anti virus program, just removes some adware and spyware.

Using Nod32 here, the best out there imo.
Ragnarok
F-prot antivirus which may not be the most user friendly antivirus out there but it sure has the best detection rates ever.

check out the site http://www.f-prot.com/products/corporate_users/win/

This antivirus not only stops known viruses at the highest level but also detects 96% of unkown viruses (zoo viruses (kept under lab conditions)).
Dorsk82
I don't use any anti-virus software because quite frankly I hate having stuff running on boot up with windows. All those programs running in the background do nothing but slow your computer down and eventually cause incompatability problems, blue screens and the like. I have anti-virus software available though and use it to scan any and all files that I feel look unsafe as well as to scan my computer on occasion for viruses that may have slipped by me. Wink
cheeta
Long Live Kaspersky

I am useing this antivirus for a year now... & so far there isnt a single infection... system never ever crashed deu to virus & not a single program malfuctioned dew to virus.... Very Happy Very Happy
pfrllc
I used both Norton Antivirus 2005 and Fix-it Utilities 5, but Norton decided to be an ass and somehow revoke my subscription. Now I only have Fix-it, but I could install Panda. I don't know if I should, but that decision can wait, as I am extremely pissed off at Symantec.

By the way, why doesn't this blogging script allow people to use generic HTML tags, such as <A HREF>, <SCRIPT>, <FORM>, <META>, etc. It would be wonderful if it could, as the signatures could be much more easily modified by normal HTML programmers, as any web designer should be.
sgwreviews
My tip about the programs you should use,
they all do the same thing, remove some spyware but not all, so just use 4 different on your PC and you should be fine.
BTW, MS antispy is only free if you have a legal copy of windows.
I personally don't use MS antispy anymore, I didn't had much spyware when I used that (I THOUGHT). When I used ad-aware and spybot, almost 600 files were found, all different, and about 20 extreme risks. So my conlusion about MS version, not good.
MonkeyWrench
I have used many before, but problem is most of them arent official companies and decide to remove everyone elses spyware and add theirs, i suggest microsoft antispyware, its effective and safe Very Happy
Blaster
Download Fire fox at www.getfirefox.com That usually helps with not getting spyware. I use ad- aware and spybot and they work fine. Try running something like symantec.
crdowner
I have not used any of Panda's "home" products but we tested their enterprise product. Panda still has several things that they can still improve on but overall, we liked Panda more than Symantec. We have several issues with Symantec in our environment; the biggest being updating clients with program updates. Virus definition updates are simple but program updates are a major pain with Symantec. Updates are seemless with Panda.
PuNGS
I don't use anti-virus... Mainly because I use Linux, and there are almost no viruses for Linux. Cool

So, by default, I'm safe!
Billwaa
Trend Micro, I used to use Norton but it kill my computer instead of saving it.
panazen
i haven't had any problems with norton yet. It updates its self and its reliable.
Rocky3478
I'm on OS X, so I don't use anti-virus. ;D

But when I had a PC, I used AVG Anti-virus.(why does everyone forget about this one??) Better then both Norton and Mcaffee, and totally free! Surprised Cool
tsylvest
aningbo wrote:
the best choice u've got before u lost your mind:

Format your system and take precautionary measures before u open programs and sites. u'll get 'grey hair' looking for the best anti-spyware or watever it is .... nothing works... the 'kids' are always one step ahead.

that's it.

I agree. this siw hat I did. I reformatted, then made sure I didn't install any programs with spyware. I also switched my browser to mozilla firefox. I like it way better than Internet Explorer, and you might get an occational popup, but nothing like with Internet Explorer. I've not no problems with spyware in the last 1.5 years doing this.
pixelperfect
The BEST spyware program is....believe it or not....MICROSOFT ANTI SPYWARE.

Rite ok, im not just saying that because im a microsoft bummer, no im not, infact i use Ubuntu linux, so no spyware for me hehe. But on my friends server and his computers (43 networked school computers) we had the same problem, little kids just like clicking everywhere and this launders in spyware. So we tried many programs, including Ad-aware and some expensive ones he bought. Finally microsoft released there beta version of there program, and god damn it did that spyware dissapear and god damn it were them computers running sweet.

So i Stongly advise u to use Microsoft anti spyware, and more importantly its FREE.
cheeta
i feel spybot is the best... more fun as its free!! Razz Razz

www.spybot.info
anthonygerbils
well i think avg is the best and that is what i use as it has stoped so many virus's and worms from infecting my computer
djpupeikis
if you are using windows to have to use anti-vir
I use NOD-32 and Kaspersky. Kaspersky some times cause vomputer laggz Twisted Evil Twisted Evil but it allert you then you have been attacked by hacker. After hacker attackt my computer I use firewall and every time kaspersky is turned on
pfrllc
Nice call about AVG! I recently started using AVG Free Edition and it has been working much better than Norton and Fix-It combined. Although it doesn't catch viri that the others catch, those viri are seemingly pointless, as they don't seem to do anything malicious.

As a secondary comment, please disregard the second part of my previous post, as I had not started using phpBB until now, so I didn't know about the configuration options.

I remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our battle against the King.

--
Patrick Reilly
1st Coy.
Colonel Seth Warner's Regiment
yosiatt
i use on AVG free..he good
Petee
I use Avast, along with another fairly good scanner included in a computer utilities software package I've got, Fix-It Utilities. Both work very well in my opinion, and update nearly everyday. Very Happy
gr3gg3r
I use AVG. It is a very good anti-virus program.

One: It is completely free. =)

Two: It updates automatically and constantly, keeping it as up to date as possible.

Three: It's a small program, but gets the job done and keeps viruses away.

I'm sure there are several more good reasons, those are just the important ones to me. Very Happy
dwcnps
This is soooo werid I can not belive some people don't use antivirus. Anyway reply to say what viruses u got those people.
photographerguy
Mac OSX.
I used McAfee on my Win XP box. McAfee is crap.

I just practice common sense web usage

No porn, p2p, pirate software, opening emails from unknown people.
Haven't had any problems.

I love my Mac, but I think something really bad will eventually happen that many arrogant "we are virus-proof" people are going to get burned.
Hopefully not, but as Mac and Linux gain popularity, it will happen sooner or later.
Manwho
I use Norton Antivirus 2005
dwcnps
Manwho wrote:
I use Norton Antivirus 2005

dotnet
I use Dr.Web. It's very reliable and fast!
golles
I use antivir it is great and free Razz
varun_dodla
I have been using Norton Antivirus for about 3 years now and never had any problems till date. Norton is the best one I feel.....
mhpschool
In the May 2006 issue of PC World there is a great article about Internet Security.

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,125123,00.asp

It gives the ratings of different security products and some options for you.

Hope this helps.
golles
varun_dodla wrote:
I have been using Norton Antivirus for about 3 years now and never had any problems till date. Norton is the best one I feel.....

I used to have it, but it makes the pc damn slow,,,
pokethamage
KAV is the 2nd best antivirus in terms of protection of new viruses...2nd only to Dr Web. Dr Web had protection for the worm P2P-Worm.Win32.Polipos.a since March 20 and it came out in March. Then Kapersky followed on the 23rd. Then all the others got protection on or after the 24th. So Dr Web and Kaspersky are the best in my opinion. It's just amazing to see Dr Web having the protection more than a month before the others...but Kaspersky looks cooler in my opinion lol...

Notes: Link to info on Polipos: http://info.drweb.com/show/2815/en
erlendhg
I'm using AVG Free Edition, Ad-Aware SE and Microsoft AntiSpyware.

I have no problems with viruses and spam on the computer, but my mailbox is drowning in russian spam. Glad Gmail has a spam filter Razz
Sebaci
Spy Sweeper is the best spyware remover of course
eki_sp
There is onother tool called "Hijack-this" at http://hijack-this.net/

But BEWARE! you must know what u r doing !!!
d722002
ive got AVG on most of my computers, with Nortons Antivirus Enterprise 2004 on my server and McAfee on my laptop.
Indyan
Hi-jack-this isn't a spyware remover.It is a diagnostic tool to detect malicious entries (manually).
I would recomend webroot spy sweeper.
Bones
Hi jack this is a great tool because it picks up things that some spyware scanners will miss. Spysweeper is good, but I've seen it cause problems with permissions on registry keys, so I would turn the auto-protect off. Spysweeper also is not free. In every comparison I have seen, the best combo listed was Ad-Aware and Spybot (both free).

There is no one best program simply because no one piece of software is perfect, so I use 2.
lukeropro
Maybe you should try Windows Defender. Mcafee virusscan is pretty good. It detected a lot of viruses...
kccfirhost
I am using Symantec AntiVirus Corp edition 9. It doesn't takes up too much RAM and CPU. It is a good choice.
And there is a pause/continue function during scanning which Norton 2005 /2006 don't have.
usman
Well I use Avast but I am saving up to get an decent like Norton or Mcaffee
hrtorrent
Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is definitly top class of protection software of any kind. Prevents viruses, worms, trojans, ...
faker_phil
I use Grisoft AVG Free, I like it so far, its (how the name says) for free, and updates are given daily. If you want to, you can also get the professional version for $$.
Check it out: http://www.grisoft.com
Indyan
Bones wrote:
Hi jack this is a great tool because it picks up things that some spyware scanners will miss. Spysweeper is good, but I've seen it cause problems with permissions on registry keys, so I would turn the auto-protect off. Spysweeper also is not free.

Just turn off registry monitoring from the Options.
Reign
http://www.hitmanpro.nl/

never had any problems with spyware and addware... i think this is the best free software against spyware..
quartz
I for a long time worked without antivirus. And got no virus. Some my friends who are using antiviruses cant get rid of viruses.
Im using computer normaly, like everyone, using internet everyday and had installed many software. Maybe im lucky?

I prefer NOD32 because its quick and silent. Also AVG because it is free.
Also i do not like Norton Antivirus because it is slow and slows down computer
marcmgeronimo
try using Lavasoft Anti Spyware program... they have a Personal License software that you can get for free
oskuro
I use NOD32+Zone ALarm Pro Firewall
eternalwarriors
i#m using bitdefender intzernet security..
i think it's the best one

mfg
nam_siddharth
I use Avira Antivir PersonalEdition Classic. It is completely free antivirus, and yet the best. It is light on resources too.
paurna
I have started using kaspersky 5.5 version and i am quite impressed.
kingvarun
I use Norton Antivirus 2006
kansloos
I'm using AVG too.
It works fine for me.

It's good, no resource hog and I have money for some xtra beer
wapkralj
i use avast antivirus home edition.I use it because it is free Smile .It is pretty good for now.I can always take some crack but i am a nice guy Very Happy
cavey
I also use Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition. Used norton before, but it was too heavy.
oye816
i use NAV 2006.
megamass
Nod is simple the best. I am using it more then year, and i feel totaly safe. Just the best antivirus - perfect and fine protection, auto-updates virus list ( almost every day) and so on...
cloudship
I use Symantec Norten Corporation Edition.

it works well both on XP and Server 2k3.
and it starts and runs much faster than the professional version, which I almost never used.

But the same problem with all the Norton series products, that it takes a lot of memories. However, I have 1G mem, can still handle it. Wink
Bones
Using AVG and it seems to work great. I wont let Norton software anywhere near my system. Also whoever did that ranking systym obviously never used Norton to scan for trojans or it would have ended up dead last in the list. I've personally seen it miss trojans on friend's systems MANY times...to the point where I just can't trust it
jino
I've used Norton Antivirus. but, Im using AVG FREE Now.
AVG is free and faster than Norton.
webbone
I use Kaspersky and blackice firewall on my computer now,Norton in past time,Because kaspersky is spend low memory than norton,and kaspersky can kill more web virtus than norton!
shwetanshu
i used 4 AVs NAV -- > Avast ---> AVG ---> Kaspersky

Now with Kaspersky and quite satisfied with it
atholas
I would recommend the upcoming Kaspersky Internet Security Suite. I'm running the beta version right now. It is very stable and caught quite a few viruses NAV failed to detect.

For a free antivirus, I'd probably go with AntiVir.
Commando_Sondre
I've started to use Kaspersky Internet Security 2006, and it is amazing! I have used NOD32, Norton, AVG and avast!, but none of them found any virus. But when I installed Kaspersky, it detected 15 trojans! Man, that was scary!

But it shows that Kaspersky is the best antivirus software for me!
raymond8341
I vote for KasperSky although it is not so famous !
ENDY_JASMI
I'm using AVG and zone alarm pro now...
Shake
What about AntiVir or AVG? Why aren't those included?
Bones
I've started using Kaspersky as well (mostly from reviews I've read and the posts from this forum). I like it and I don't at the same time. It seems to be a pretty good scanner, but uses more system resources than AVG, and seems to have a tendency for false positives. It flagged a couple of files that I know are clean. I guess better safe than sorry, but Kaspersky is definately not for people that dunno what they are doing when it comes to AV software.
So far it seems pretty good though..
faker_phil
Shake wrote:
What about AntiVir or AVG? Why aren't those included?

Maybe because they're free, and free software is often times not as good as "unfree" software. Im still using AVG. I think he just didn't think of them...
tobytobsen
I am using Antivir XP, its freeware and it is working pretty good!
In combination with a freeware firewall(Zone Alarm) all the security you need for free and legal!
Th3St1ck
i use Norton...but it sucks....alot
I would recommend Zone Labs Zone Alarm
mark25
well, i love kaspersky because of its good detection rate but the problem is it slowdown your internet connection... too bad... Confused
Bourgondier
Norton is great, but if you want to remove it, it suck. All kind of files are left behind in your windows map. But now there is the Norton removal tool, I hope that tool wil remove all.

But now I use avast, but I don't like it Confused
wsco
what is the best antivirus program
can anyone tell me
is it Nod32
or
kasparsky

or
mcafee

or

norton

or any else
orcaz
Kaspersky is one of the best due to its large virus database. Norton is popular, but I feel it is sort of a bloatware, takes up lots of memory.
saurabh.sauron
in my opinion, Avast!, NOD32, AVG free, Avira Antivir are the best. Kaspersky is the best among the paid ones.
bangala
I have tried several AV programs, both commercial and free ones. I think the best one so far is Avast. Surprisingly, it's free for personal use! It's very stable, user friendly and update is done daily and automaticly. It easily beats Norton and Mcafee.
Indyan
There are plenty of topics already on this subject.
Anyway, KAV has the best detection rate.
Rustyk1
Well I, for the last 5 (ish) years have use AVG and am yet to have a virus so that's got to say something. I have a huge dislike for Norton, it tries to take over your system and don't even think about uninstalling it, ever!
xorcist
I think Bullguard is they catch like everything that's on your comptuer It was very good finding virus and different things when I had it.
surdy
Among the anti-virus softwre i have used , i found AVG to be the best one. It gve me good results, it detected some viruses which even Norton ws not able to.
So i rely on AVG. [:d]
Josso
Hanv't tried them all unfortunatly but out of Norton and McAfee... Mcaffee is a ton better. I like the sound of the big database on the Kasparsky one I might try it out.
wsco
thanks for help
i'm using nod32
i think i need to try AVG or KAV

thanks
babalis
symantec (norton) = poor, but discovers new viruses the faster + poor antispy
mcafee = best detection
panda = one of the best + fast, but a bit instable + great antispy
avg = good, free, and if you buy pro edition, you get lifetime license!
chat
Avg is the best my me,try avast too free,excellent antiviruse/s ,i just haven't nervous sometimes for them,so i unistall or turn them of !
VidE
I've used AVG free with great protection results. I've d\edited video with Adobe PPRo 2.0 while AVG was auto-updating with nary a hiccup. Norton would've crashed the system (and did, when concurrently editing video or running a big application).
Rocky3478
Another vote for AVG Free Edition....
rafifaisal
hi just out of curiosity:
What combination of antivirus and antispyware are you running on your pc ?
And what do you find the best combo ?
To start of i am running the following:

AVG Free Edition
Ewido
Ad-aware to perform the occasional scan
RiCtee
AVG Free Edition
Trend Micro PC-cillin 2004 (main)
Ad-aware SE Personal
Spybot Search & Destroy
cheeta
Presently its OneCare which is doing a fare bit of job.... (who knows whats happening undernith it?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes i didnt get a single messege in past 2 month.... either i am not visisting enough crappy sites to get a virus... oru guess it... they r all here... One Care is just over looking them...)

but to me its KAV 6.0 + SpyBot SnD
cheeta
How many times this question gonna be ask here??

anyway The best was and is Kaspersky....
Guyon
What is the best Free Anti-Virus? I have a pay one on 1 pc, but don't want to pay for all my 3 PCs. That is way too much!
asDdsA2
uhmmm.. i am using this..

AVG Free Edition
Ad-aware SE Personal
Spybot Search & Destroy

they are good......
ashik
I'm using AVG Antivirus, and Spybot S&D.

AVG is really powerful, and they provide frequent updates.
immortal
I got AVG and Spybot - Search & Destroy, they are very good so far.
looksbad
Well ive used mostly every free and payed for Anti-Virus solutions out there..
and believe me Mcafee and Symantec products gave me the most problems..

Ive used AVG free and pro in the past and they didnt quite cut it..

So ive settled with NOD32 (www.eset.com) as my AV and as an anti-spyware im using Ewido, and Trend Micro Antispyware (good product.. dont put the On-Access scanner on though it hogs to many resources and blocks thigns you dont need blocking.)

So yeah thats a good combo...

Oh and Firewall just incase u wanna know.. i use a free and highly rated firewall.. which came top beating all payed versions its called Jetico..

so thats it
orcaz
My combi is:

On-access scan:
Avast
Windows Defender

On Demand scan:
Ewido 4.0
Ad-Aware
internetjobs
i used many antivirus

1. Norton Antivirus...

it is good one but the system is very slow after installing...
including startup...

2. NOD 32

i it is also better one, but some viruse problem persist...eventhough update is up to date....

3. kaspersky

it is also good one, but some virus attack is present

4. Symantec Antivirus...

it is very good antivirus it detectect all virus and spy also

now i am using symantec... i think this is one of the best antivirus..

it has serveredition also
rafifaisal
As I understand, most of you use one online scanner (Panda in most cases) and one in house scanner (AVG, ewido,...)
Now my question is: What is the advantage of doing an online and an offline scan ? ?
RiCtee
rafifaisal wrote:
Now my question is: What is the advantage of doing an online and an offline scan ? ?

Online scan is used as a secondary measure. Just in case one anti-virus product doesn't get some virus. It is also slower than if you use an installed anti-virus. In almost all cases, it is better to use an offline, installed-on-your-computer anti-virus.
turbosquid
- Antivirus -

Currently using NOD32 - http://www.eset.com it may not be that well known when compared to Norton or McAffee but it's probably the best Antivirus out there. Heres why :-

1> Small compact footprint, does not hog system resources like many other AV's on the market.
2> Very fast compared to many other antivirus scanners.
3> Updated Daily, somtimes twice a day.
4> Received 100% detection awards for a few years running.
5> Also very good at Spyware / Addware removall

- Spyware / Adware Removal -

As a backup to NOD32 I use "Spybot Search And Destroy" for Spyware / Adware removall it's a good free program and is regularly updated. it's avialable form http://www.safer-networking.org/
Indyan
Kaspersky Internet Security
Webroot Spy Sweeper
Spyware Doctor
webbone
I think you only need a software of kaspersky internet security 6.0,It's is a fully integrated solution that protects your computer from all of the most common Internet threats, including viruses, hacker attacks, adware, spam and spyware.

Quote:
Key Features
Real-time monitoring of all data streams, including email, Internet traffic and network connections
Protection from viruses, Trojans and worms
Protection from spyware, adware and other potentially hostile programs
Proactive defense against new malicious programs
Protection from network attacks and system hijacking
Blocking of popup windows and banners
Rollback of changes made by malicious programs on your computer
Blocking of links to phishing websites
Trainable spam filtration system
Darius
Kaspesky Personal Pro / Ad-Aware Pro. Great Combination. Minimum failures (you really think there is flwless software? Smile ). Tryed others, but these are the best comb for me.
Fire Boar
AVG free is the best free anti-virus program out there, but I use NOD32, which is the no.1 best AV program available. I recently found some adware thing that it didn't recognise (which is rare) and the great thing about it is that it identified a similarity in the coding to Win32\Adware.MediaTickets so it decided to put it in quarrantine and in the mean time send off a query to the company that makes it. About 10 minutes ago (from time of posting), they had the problem sorted: it was indeed a virus.

I am suitably impressed at its ability to identify new threats accurately. Basically, if NOD32 tells you to delete something, click the delete button.

My anti-spyware program is Windows Defender (Beta2). I used to have Spybot: Search and Destroy, but it conflicted with some of the programs on the system and wasn't doing a very good job either.

One more thing:

DO NOT DOWNLOAD SYSPROTECT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! IT IS A VIRUS POSING AS AN ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM!
shaggly
Is it just me, or does someone seem to start this exact same topic off each month ?

Surely it's just as quick to have a wee look under the posts in this section...
alienjones
Been using AntiVir for couple of years and it still fits my needs.
It's free for private use, it updates automatically every single day and it has won several awards.

http://www.free-av.com/
looksbad
lol yeah SYSPROTECT.. NOD didnt like that.. stopped me dloading it Smile

Yeah oh *DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DOWNLOAD OR GO TO A LINK THAT IS TO DO WITH SPYWARE STRIKE, SPYSHERIFF OR ANY OTHER SMITREM PRODUCT AS YOU RISK RUNNING A VERY WIDELY SPREAD SPYWARE/CON THAT CAN BE HARD TO GET RID OF*

Trust me it isnt good.. very annoying even going on the site containing it you run the risk of a 'Drive by Download'

See http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm for a full list of Bad anti-Spyware Products.
Traveller
Since the subject of anti-spyware, anti-virus and firewall software appears often, and many people don't bother to search for the existing thread, we have wound up with several such threads.

This sticky will combine together a few of the existing threads and carry the discussion forward under a single, easy-to-find thread.

Please post any discussion of the selection or merits of anti-spyware, anti-virus and firewall software in this thread
Dman12
Norton 10.. good Antivirus
orcaz
Dman12 wrote:

Are u sure... altho i must admit it is one of the most popular, I think that it is sort of bloatware, takes up lots of memory and slows down startup a lot.
Bones
Dman12 wrote:

If you think Norton AV is good then share some of what you are smoking!

Norton software is horrible! It misses trojans constantly, the packages like norton internet security run processes for pieces of the package that are not even installed, the uninstallers are by far the worst I have ever seen in any software package and work right about 1 in 10 times, the amount of resources required to run norton software is obscene, shall I continue?
orcaz
Bones wrote:

If you think Norton AV is good then share some of what you are smoking!

Norton software is horrible! It misses trojans constantly, the packages like norton internet security run processes for pieces of the package that are not even installed, the uninstallers are by far the worst I have ever seen in any software package and work right about 1 in 10 times, the amount of resources required to run norton software is obscene, shall I continue?

the problem with norton is that it have left the impression on those comp users who are not so concerned abt comp security that it is the best antivirus. that is why mani think that it is still the best till todae.
Bones
I would even agree that 8 years ago, Norton was THE a/v software to buy. Now it's just bloatware
haak_heu
i use another antivirus which is called AntiVir it is a free antivirus i found it
from www.free-av.com it is good , prevously i use to use NOrton but it is
heavy makes my computer slow ...

I have petium 4 1.8 GHZ
ram 128
tony
on windows, I use avg antivirus (free, good, frequently updated) and spybot s&d (free, good, frequently updated). with both programs running, ive never had a virus or spyware issue.

on linux, i use nothing because viruses and spyware are not an issue on linux.
dbking
prisma firewall is the best firewall !!
try the free trial, i was amazed to see how many blocked intruders i have.
Hammy
Does any find that using McAfee makes there pc very laggy? .. I've only noticed it recently.. and looking in processes it's easy to understand why. McAfee has about 10 different .exe files running all the time.

Thing i hate most is when it lag your pc when scanning for virus's... Why cant they just scann constanly all day extremely slowly so u dont notice. lol

Hammy.
darvit
I only have McAfee, as it came in with the WinXP package.

But is it true that the Anti-virus and anti-spyware companies are also the ones creating the viruses because it's their business anyway? Like all those anti-spyware programs would insert spyware into your computer?

I hope that this isn't true... That's why I never installed any anti-spyware programs [especially those from the Yahoo toolbars, etc.. They look suspicious..]
Hammy
darvit wrote:
I only have McAfee, as it came in with the WinXP package.

But is it true that the Anti-virus and anti-spyware companies are also the ones creating the viruses because it's their business anyway? Like all those anti-spyware programs would insert spyware into your computer?

I hope that this isn't true... That's why I never installed any anti-spyware programs [especially those from the Yahoo toolbars, etc.. They look suspicious..]

I would recommend that u get 'Windows Defender' from the microsoft software website. It's totaly free, u dnt even notice it running, but itll popup and stop and ad-ware spy-ware warez from getting into ur pc.
It is very good.

Hammy.
wicke
Greetings from Finland!

I use F-Secure. It's the best!
Forvit
I worked with DrWeb and Kaspersky. DrWeb I liked while I have not collided with its support service Evil or Very Mad and at it the bad corporate version. Kaspersky used MANY resources of system. After visiting bulletproof.com I have chosen Avast and is very happy with it.
quartz
AVG free,
Hitman pro
Shin
Is the vote closed? I can't make a vote.
Anyway, I have switched from AVG to Avast recently based on friends recommendation. They both works fine to me, I think. because I haven't affected by virus, but mind you I am quite cautious about things that i downloaded from the Internet anyway. So I don;t really know the difference.

One thing I notice is Avast seems to take a while (about 20 seconds) get going on start up. presumably updating virus definations and software. And I can't open other applications until this is done.

I wouldn't recommend Norton to anyone. It used to be good, but now tt's just a bloatware to me.
Ratman2050
I was using Norton, than BitDefender, Than Panda, then I used Foxie, then I used Zonelabs, then I quit.

Im serious. Wink
anathema
Norton Antivirus and NOD32 are very good programs
Norton is very heavy for old pcs...and nod32 hasnt good updates!
CCFCExile
AVG Free edition. I used McAfee for so long but I got peed with the login process, I think it's a good antivirus but AVG is better becasue it's FREE.
internetjobs
i am using Symantec Corporate edition...

i am using a server with 40 client computers... and this is available as server edition... i am update this only on server machine... it is very easy and simple to use...
coreymanshack
I really dont believe in using an anitvirus. For one it slows down your computer. Secondly, you will have to get through my isp's firewall, my router firewall, and windows firewall, if someone is manually hacking. Lastly, it's just plain retarded when I know something is wrong i just google it and find a fix for it online. It's alot less rescource consuming than letting my virus thing take up my precious cpu for scanning. Then take up my bandwidth for updating from the internet. And my time for when it thinks it has found a virus and it really didn't. Like the numerous trojan warnings on some games that are actually trying to access the internet for LEGIT reasons.
justin25514
i use norman 2006 anti virus and firewal bacaus i can give programs acces to the internet or denei it
zurdosoft
F-Prot es un buen antivirus pero pone muy lenta la pc.
Nadie dice nada al respecto, pero lo he comprobado.
He migrado todas las PC al Nod32.

Saludos
zplitstonez
good day everyone
for me and all the nod32 user's there
nod32 is the best anti-virus as of now.
it has a threatsense, uses a very small resource
in your computer, fast and accurate scanning,
real time protection. updates automatically,
never miss a wild virus on the virus bulletin.
award winning anti -virus. certified by many virus and computer
security company.

The best among the rest.

it has protected my computer and my laptop for 2 years now.
it was able to block and delete a 18 worms that attack my computer
,but the server that has a McAfee anti-virus was totally destroyed be
the 18 worms who infiltrate it. it was reformatted sad to hear thou.
But that's the truth.
hisyamj
I just want give my opinion., instead using the antivirus or antispyware.. we can use anonymouse surfing software to minimize any possibility infected virus or spyware Surprised
must_rudi
try norman antivirus. its good virus removal Cool . i used norman for trial and can used although expired. just you can't download for update. for spyware i use spyware nuker.
douzy
I use Computer Associates' EZ AntiVirus program, but it has refused to deal with the current Winrobnot worm on my PCs (network). I'll have to try one of the recommendations here, very likely NOD32.
bugsr00t
for me.....using NOD32 is better

try this link
thanx

http://www.efree2net.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=bugsr00t
vivaprint
i have used Norton Antivirus 2004, thn i used avast! 4, thn i started with zonealarm, thn Kaspersky, and now AVG

Regards
Kristi
vrilix
Tested almost all.. In my humble opinion the best antivirus soft are:
-Kaspersky, Nod32, Avira, Dr Web, BitDefender..
Now i use Avira and suggest it -try it!
Nod32 and Dr Web plus Avira are "small memory eaters" Very Happy
Firewall? Zone Alarm Pro, but free Jetico is extremely good but for newbie got awful config..
Spyware? Ewido, a squared, Spybot, HijackThis--for free,
And antirootkit-GMER-polish production soft.
bulek
NOD32, it has excellent securtiy and it uses far less system resources that other concurents. Kaspersky is very good too, but it is very greedy and memory like Norton is.
anathema
Nod32 I think is a very good anti-virus program because:
- It's very simple
- It's very lite and uses a little of RAM memory
- It's very quick and every day has a new update...the most times.
budazz
izcool wrote:
I use Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition, along with AVG Free Edition. They're both pretty good.

- Mike.

your running them both to your system?.. are you sure... it will consume all your system resources... norton will consume about 128 mb... so?...
shwetanshu
I use KAspersky Antivirus Personal Pro and no other firewall.... is use MS Antispyware
thatsashok
Helios wrote:

I moved from NOD32 to F-Prot... moer professional and just better than any other anti virus.

The best antivirus I ever found is Avast. Smile
sush
Avast. No reasons, just avast.
And no firewall. Hardware firewall in my ADSL router. Cool
dbuchmann
I've never needed anything more than AVG Free for anti-virus. Along with Spy Bot S&D, Ewido, and Firefox I can't remember the last time I even had a virus.

-David-
SurBiff
Im using the BEST antivirus ever!!!

LINUX!!!!!!! Cool
wsco
i used to nav
but now i'm using ESET NOD32
it is light and very fast anti-virus
but u must use anti spyware with Nod32 like Spayware doctor or else
shyscs
I use avast for antivirus and kerio firewall.
Avast is good because it is low-maintenance, all I do is click "yes, install update" about once every few weeks. I used to use Norton Antivirus, but then I found out that the subscription had expired several years ago...not good.
As for the firewall, i just searched online and that was the first one i saw.
orcaz
actually, i just found out that if you are using Windows, and you set a limited user account as ur default account for daily work, viruses and spywares seldomly hit you at all. I haf been using limited account for normal usage for 1 yr already, and havent been hit by a single virus or spyware. That is why I removed Windows Defender, which i felt wasn't very necessary anymore...
bulek
My favourite program is NOD32, it is really the best. It takes much less system resources than other concurents. It is also the fastes and has the best detection rate.
hoots123
well i dont see mine listed but i run AVG FREE, soon as i install or wipe my computer i get msn, zone alarm, avg free, and of course spy ware search and detroy, by the time i get all these my comp has a virus or spyware already on it... no idea how they get it on there so fast
makak
I use Kaspersky antivirus and dont use any firewall because I am in local network and not have external IP Rolling Eyes
orcaz
hey, i came across a free av named Antivir. Currently, I am using Avast, and has been using it for quite some time. However, i recently saw some reports which showed that antivir had a high virus detection rate. shud i change to Antivir? In my case, I don't really nid the extra features provided by avast, like web shield, network shield, p2p (i dun haf one) shield. oso, i dun nid automatic updates, as i prefer manual updating. oso, does windows security center detects the presence of Antivir?
Solo Turco
I prefer Avast. The others like Panda, Norton, Kaspersky are very heavy and forces the computer.
orcaz
I heard that one of the main advantages of Antivir is that it is lightweight. However, after testing it on my laptop, it seems to take more memory, both physical and virtual, as compared to Avast!.
andryou
-
pll
Antivirus : Norton antivirus
Anti-spy : spybot S&D

And some more free anti-vir-hack-spy. I think I'm secure with them but on internet we are never secure.[/b]
Teezgaff
I have been an avid fan of Mcafee for about 4 years, but was let down last week. My subscription ran out and I got the new 8-in-1 trial. What a load of crap that is.....Can't turn it off.. gives many popups and totally gets on your nerves.. so I got a virus, trojan, downloader.. whateva.

After getting my system back up again I tried out various AV software
f-secure
Norton
f-prot
AVG
A-Squared

I planted 5 known virii onto my system in rar files in windows in inbox etc and set the scanners away to find them.

The 1 and only scanner that found all 5 was.........

KAPERSKY

So now I have the full Kapersky internet suite 6. It runs nice and fast and also keeps an eye on my registry keys.....

xoft is the best antispyware util I have used... New version 4.22...
roesaid
i think bitdefender is the best antivirus...

it can be updated everyday,easy to use and everyone in my place use bitdefender...

many web that show antivirus ranking say bitdefender is the best antivirus and the second is kaspersky...
rudy_dark
Helios wrote:

Ok this is my first post, and im not very good writting in english, so Razz

The anti-Virus I use is Norton Coorporate Edition 10.00, i s teh best antivirus i had never use, ots detec virus, some spyware, trojans, and differents types of similar things that can crash your computer. I recommend it.

And for Spyware I use Ad-aware, that ist all i need for personal protection.

And I recommend use the Firefox with the Noscript add-on, for everyting you browse in Internet...

See You.
heridlia
After using McAfee, Norton, AVG, Kaspersky, TrendMicro, NOD32. I think that NOD32 is the best.

NOD32 :
- Have advanced heuristic scanning for detect an unknown viruses.
- Use little memory (RAM)
- Very fast scanning.
- Available for Multi Platform.
- more...

But using full version get the maximum power.

So I am using NOD32.

Thanks.
welshsteve
I use AVG at home and Comodo on my work laptop. Only problem with AVG is that after running windows updates sometimes, AVG's resident shield stops loading automatically. Seraches and posting on the AVG forum failed to sort the problem for me, uninstalling and re-installing still didn't resolve it, so I just got rid of it and installed Comodo, which has done a good job so far.
askchris
I use the Kaspersky internet suite, it is the best in my opinion of the commercial products, and the freeware products just suck. If I had it my way I would move direct to linux, but it is too much hassle at the moment for me.
Ramelof
I using avast4 home. It`s good for me. I don`t see viruses on my computer. To antyvirus i using ad-aware, jv16 PoweTools and CCleaner.
zplitstonez
hello Everyone
good day.

Well i agree to Heridlia.
ESET NOD32 is the best anti-virus.
It is not a resource hog, use little amount of memory.
It has real-time protection,
AMON - File System Monitor ---- it monitors your system files.
DMON - MS Office Document Monitor ----monitors your MS Office files.
EMON - MS Outlook Email Monitor ---- monitors your email files.
IMON - Internet Monitor ----- When your in the internet, it monitors the site that you are visiting. And it pop ups when it finds any badware on the net. that is going to infect your PC.

My Second opinion on the best AV is Bitdefender,
but i don't like it because it uses a lot of resources,
i makes my computer run slow.
Can't enjoy if you use this AV.

Heridlia, did you buy NOD32 Full?
Coz mine is just 30 day trial.

Thank You.
ravi_9793
my vote goes to bitdefender.They have both free n paid version.Both do gr8 work.The only problem free version har that it is nt active all the time.U need to do a manula scaning.I will suggest you to get a free antivirus such as avast,and do online scaning at bitdefender.com atleast once in a month.
tar-xzv
NOD32 user here. Fast and small in size. It uses like um...10MB of RAM? (at work now). I've tried many before. NAV was just yuckkkk Rolling Eyes
McAfee old one, enterprise v.7, was pretty fast.
hostingguy
I don't use antivirus software but i just installed Kaspersky Internet Security 6
running smooth Very Happy
hofodomo01
Just wondering, exactly how effective is AVG antivirus? (The free edition)

I'm willing to bet my computer has a more viruses than it tells me....
welshsteve
hofodomo01 wrote:
Just wondering, exactly how effective is AVG antivirus? (The free edition)

I'm willing to bet my computer has a more viruses than it tells me....

I don't have details, but 've heard from a few people that AVG Free does let through some viruses. Judging by the e-mails I have been receiving from Grisoft recently, it would seem that AVG Free will be no more sometime early next year as the free product will no longer be available.
jt32470
I was using antivir, but switched to avg , it scans emails which is cool. I use Bit defender as an spot scanner every now and then in case avg missed anything. Besides that i run avg anti-spyware, windows defender, and cyberhawk
abone
I use avast 4.7 , this software is free for home edition and really works fine for me.
welshsteve
abone wrote:
I use avast 4.7 , this software is free for home edition and really works fine for me.

I started using that a while ago, but got a message saying it wasn't compatible with ZoneAlarm, so opted for Comodo instead.
creezalird
Just changec from avg free to nod32.Still didn't see any difference..Maybe my pc rarely been caught by a virus or trojan..
But anyway nod32 is working flawlessly
jsaxon2
I use and love AVG AntiVirus software. It's free so you can't beat the price. It has not allowed and viruses on my computer and I have 2 kids that do alot of downloading stuff they shouldn't. It is also going to be included in the new Microsoft Windows Vista. Just my 2 cents.
Edas
here you have a list of top anti-virus software and the inpartial comparatives:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/
legion
i use the Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 ... only the demo version Sad
coolio
At the moment, I´m using BitDefender 8 Smile
soulman
I am using McAfee now but it took too much system resources...
techquest
I use Norton Internet Security 2006.
Though it slows the startup a bit its great.
And in my opinion NO antivirus is 100% perfect. Everything has one or more flaws
Fake
I use AVG free edition. It is free and pretty good.
Ljugaren
I used Symantec Anti-virus just until some weeks ago when it gave me a lot of problems. I had read a lot of good stuff about Nod32 so I thought I'd give it a try.
So far it has been great Very Happy
kristi_rey619
i use nod32 ..... i think its great Smile.... Cool
zjosie729
I use AVG, and I'm surprised it's not on there!
jay84h
I am using Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 7. I find that it's the best protection all around for every aspect that needs security.
darkleft
I don't use any virus software. It is because I have no much money to buy a new one. Have any free virus software suggest me? I want to have a popular and free virus software. Thanks first.
welshsteve
darkleft wrote:
I don't use any virus software. It is because I have no much money to buy a new one. Have any free virus software suggest me? I want to have a popular and free virus software. Thanks first.

The fact you are online and using the internet without virus protection is quite worrying for you.

There are many free ones that are good.

AVG (www.grisoft.com) - although I'm not sure it's free anymore.

Comodo (http://www.comodogroup.com/products/free_products.html) - I use this on my work laptop and it's very good.

Have a look here - http://www.computeractive.co.uk/downloads/
jay84h
I did get Zone alarm internet security 7 for my laptop, but I am going to delete that and install NOD32 on it. I already have a router with a built in firewall. I already have NOD32 on my PC, plus NOD32 is a great antivirus program that I am very used to now, and is easy on resources. Zone alarm is a big resource hog. I highly recommend NOD32.
mensun
I got installed NOD32 in safe mode when I got a virus when mine AVG was outdated and other antivirus were prohibited to install. It helped. My comp is now protected by it.
Daisie
I use Macafee... So far so good !

I had Zonealarm a long time ago, it worked very well.
JJGY
I run Avast along with AVG (somtimes) and Zone Alarm. I have a lot of virus issues, so I need the extra protection sometimes...
jay84h
I use NOD32, Router firewall, Widows Firewall, Ad-Aware, Spy Sweeper.
Tvis
I have Kaspersky and I was very happy with that. Until recently...I always have had troubles with Microsoft Office. When opening and closing a MS Office application I receive a lot of errors, re installation requests, etc. Now I found out, coincidentally, that Kaspersky was the reason for this. I had to uninstall it and forgot to reinstall it. Opened Word, and for the first time in years (!!) no errors in Word. So anyone has had the same problem? Any advise, do I need to change settings in Kaspersky or try another anti virus?
Dosky
I used NOD32, but now I don't use any antivirus Razz
jay84h
I did use SpySweeper, but quickly did not see a difference when it was running. It was like it was a dead program just laying there. I quickly switch to AVG Anti-Spyware and at least see when it updates. I like AVG much better.
hannesfuger
kaspersky is the top anti-virus and friewall program!

it is not only fast but also have a lot of functions. easy to handle and fast in performance!

i also have tried norton for some time, but my experiences were not very good. it need a lot of recources!!

excuse my bad english!!
MeddlingMonk
I use Norton Internet Security 2005 on my computers running Windows XP because it has anti-virus and a firewall integrated in one package. I also use Adaware SE and Spybot as my anti-spyware programs.

On my Windows 98SE computer, I use AntiVir for anti-virus, Adaware SE and Spybot for anti-spyware, and don't have a firewall.
frac2
I'm running Avira Antivir right now. Works great, although the translations are a bit rough. Oh well. Oh, and it's free Smile
bigdan
I use Avast. Have not had issues with viruses since. Plus it's free too, so it's a bonus. Very Happy
dudeman
haha... i use norton... started using it when it was still in floppys.... decided to stick with it. I find it quite good... reliable, and the auto protect function saves a lot of time.
chearan2
Mcafee Virusscan for Antivirus
Adware for spyware
Kerio Firewall for Firewall
Teddy1
I just wanted you people to know about agnitum outpost pro, it's a really in depth firewall has plug-ins to scan for spyware too, real time protection from spyware. i rate this firewall on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being best 1 being worst i would say this firewall is a 9.5. I am going to say it takes someone that knows computers well to use it as it's quite in depth when it comes to configuration. Just thought you people would like to know about it if you considered a firewall as Windows XP SP2 firewall is useless. Shocked
abhishek_fdd
I use Avg 7.5 it is best.It scans almost all the spy ware or viruses which is not detected by others.
Best part is that it is also available for free(free addition)
oleszka
I prefer NOD32 I have been using it for long time and it's very good antivirus. If to talk about firewall so of course Outpost Firewall
Shake
avast! is great. I wouldn't even want to think of switching to any other antivirus solution now that I use Avast.
hotxino
I use Nod32. I used McAffee VirusScan in my beginnings with computers. Later I tryed TrendMicro Internet Security, because at work we were using TrendMicro OfficeScan. But now i'm using Nod32.
ganesh
I use McAfee because it came free when I was a student along with my computer usage fees. Still have it on my machine!
Infinity-al
I'm using avast! 4 Free Edition combined with Zone Alarm... They are good together...
welshsteve
I switched from AVG Free and ZoneAlarm to Comodo AV and Firewall at home but I have found that Comodo eats system resources up when it's updating. I was going to keep ZoneAlarm, but thought if I run both COmodo products then there would be less chance of conflicts.

I have therefore decided to bite the bullet and get a paid for security suite. I've gone for Kaspersky Internet Security. I've seen a drastic change in my machine since. It's been a lot quicker.
kennylamfk
I using Kaspersky, it is quite powerful, I feel it is better than Norton, and their web site can scan your computer:
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
orcaz
Hey, I heard that Kaspersky Labs is beta testing version 7 now. Does anyone have the beta? What are some of the new features in KAV v7?
marixworld
avg works for me well, although i uninstalled it on the PCs in our internet cafe since i'm using deep freeze.
Whong
I use AVG, it is very good!!!! Wink Wink
BlueVD
Kaspersky 6 pro.
Firewall: Filseclab freeware.
But I do have an nix box configed as a router and I have ClamAV and AvMilter running on it and scanning traffic. Kaspersky is the last line of defense.
Also, when it comes to resource utilization...
Kaspersky is the best solution out of the commercial line of AV's...
Norton, Panda, etc. consume too much memory and proc power...
tefa_taftaf2010
norton antivirus is my favorite one

spyware doctor is my favorite too

i think they are easy and more effective
icedrakon
Master Yoda
Previously, I used to have NOD 32.. but right now, I'm using AVG.. I'd say it's by far one of the better anti virus programs I have used.. and it's much much better than NOD 32...

And for protection against Spyware, I use Spyware Doctor.. it's THE best anti spyware program... (I wonder why Spy Sweeper was given a higher rating than Spyware Doctor on download.com)
krazy
I use AVG as my virus protection, got Norton on the laptop, i don't know which is better
AVG is always up to date, when you log on to your computer every 24 hours it runs an update, so you are always up to date with the latest stuff.
i have also set it to run an anti-virus every 3 days at mid-night so at least i think my computer is clean! i may just install Norton too , to make site it is clean and safe, my firewall is on although i do have problems with my firewall
someones it pops up at the bottom saying the fire wall is not turned on, i go to my security center located in the CP and it says it is turned on so i don't see the problem with that!
Tuffluck
I use AVG. It is very good and free.

I also use Ad-aware because it removes a lot of other content I don't want on my computer... spyware, etc.
froginabox
Ad-Aware rocks. Simply put, it is the most awesome piece of free security software I have ever seen.
silverdown
Avira Free Av been using it for about 2 years now
imagefree
If you dont use Internet Explorer and neither you have chances of virus attack from CDs, Floppies and USB, you really dont need to buy a costly antivirus.

In the past, 8-10 months back, i used to explore using IE and it was full time headache because of unwanted popups, ADWARES that display nude ads viruses etc. Then i shifted to Opera, and since then i have just 4 attacks. 3 from USB ( used an infacted flash drive three times) and 1 from IE Smile because once i installed an infected Plugin.
snicker
My work pc (well.. before I blew up the NTFS partition) uses NOD32, and it is really good. On my personal pc I have AVG... but I boot into Windows very rarely..

My 2 cents
ahmbr
I use AVG it's free fast and strong.
and also super Anti-Spywae there's not auto protection(in the free version) but one in a while I scan my computer with it. I recommend it to evrybody.
balticJay
i use zonealarm security suite, i used to use the free version of the firewall then upgraded to the full suite, i felt its easy to use and always keeps my computer clean
infinisa
I need a free antivirus for Windows Server 2003. After looking around, it seems that the choice is very limited - just Clam Win.

AVGFree and Avast are NOT free for Servers, and NOD32 is only free for 30 days.

Clam Win got a rather poor ranking of "35. ClamWin version 0.83 - 48.44%" in this thread. I've just downloaded version 0.90.2.1.

Do you folks think this is the best free antivirus for Windows Server 2003?

Clam Win is much weaker than I thought - it doesn't do "on access" scanning: you have to do a manual scan to catch viruses!

So I really need a better free antivirus for Windows Server 2003 than this one.

Any suggestioins welcome.

Thanks!
why6487
I use F-Secure prodived by Charter.
Whong
why6487 wrote:
I use F-Secure prodived by Charter.

F-Secure! Very Happy That's a Finnish product!!! Very HappyVery Happy Good for you! Wink
bulek
I vote for Eset NOD32 because it is simply the best. Smallest, fastest and the best detection rate - those are three main points of NOD32 Wink
rodrigoz17
i'm using NOD32 now....but i wanna move to Kaspersky....do you recommendeme to do it? and wich version of it? tnx
rodrigoz17
Also.....wich Firewall do you recomend me Outpost or Kaspersky internet security....?? or another one?
yo.hassan
know those new folder.exe virus? it made me format 3 times. i had AVG in pc and it detected the virus on first day. but on second day it was eaten by the virus and couldn't detect those *ucking virus anymore. now using KASPERSKY and its amazing. also its not so ram hungry. for me its the best. my office has NORTON but seems not that effective..
welshsteve
yo.hassan wrote:
know those new folder.exe virus? it made me format 3 times. i had AVG in pc and it detected the virus on first day. but on second day it was eaten by the virus and couldn't detect those *ucking virus anymore. now using KASPERSKY and its amazing. also its not so ram hungry. for me its the best. my office has NORTON but seems not that effective..

Totally agree with you. Kaspersky is the best Internet security suite on the market. I've had it for a couple of months now and it's superb. I used to use AVG Free and, although it's very good for a free app, Kaspersky is well worth the money
budazz
before i use AVG w/c is very good... but i just notice that the pop uo window is annoying, when im working it will suddenly pop...so i switched to bit defender...it has the same protection but dont have the pop up window... that will prompt in the center of the window...
Bru, stuffce
I have four PCs, three laptops and a desktop / games machine. One of the laptops is a work PC with various security software that allows me to remotely log into myclients (Who are central banks mainly, Bank of France, National Bank of Belgium, Nat. Bank of Netherlands are who I am working with at the mo.) So that PC has McAfee Enterprise 8.0 by contractual obligation. It's excellent and I have never had a problem.

My other two laptops are identical Dells and both came with McAfee Security Center (sic) so I use that, but I have also added AVG for extra comfort. Again I have never had a real problem, however, before I added AVG my daughter managed to get infected and was just about to download 'the cure', a supposed anti-virus solution that kept popping up increasingly worrying messages. It was a bugger to kill and none of McAfee, Norton 2006 nor AVG made much difference. I eventually killed it by booting from an external USB drive and then AVG bashed its head in. None of the others would fit onto the drive.

My desktop has Norton. It also has 4Gb Ram and a top spec so I don't notice the overhead. I also run AVG on it because why not? My router has it's own firewall, so I have deactivated firewalls on any PC I use on the home network.
squeetox
I run Avira PersonalEdition Premium and I love it. I used to have the free version, but I decided to upgrade to thank the developpers. Smile
lastelement0
i am using none of the above mentioned antivirus suites. i am actually using comodo antivirus and firewall. they are free products you just reg with an email and they send you an activation code. both work great. the firewall takes some time to get familiar with the programs that you use so for about a week or so you will constantly get a pop up window asking if you want to allow access to the internet for the service trying to run.

it is a little tedious after a while however it works awesome when fully configured. i ran into a spyware/malware issue around a month back and i became aware of it because of the firewall. and with the description i was given i was able to track down the cause of it and solve my problem.

at this point i find comodo to be the best unknown secret out there. best part....its free!
cvkien
i don't use antivirus because i think the best antivirus is myself. virus is also an application, so if you know about application, and there are so many ways to prevent virus attack. be more concious with the files you got.
lastelement0
well the only instance in where it would be safe to not use an antivirus would be if you were in linux or mac os. in windows you really need an antivirus. you don't have a built in definition list in your brain. or no where the viruses reside. having an antivirus allows you to be aware of what is going on with your computer.

but if the whole ur the antivirus thing works for you then kudos. i wouldnt be able to do so.
kiran_n444
I prefer either Avast or No Anti Virus at All because alot of the new Antiviruses that come out tend to use alot of system resources and are of no help. Norton would be one of em. kasperky takes alot of memory but it works=) Not that there all safe....i'm 15 years old and I could get around All of em!
silverGFX
I am currently using: Spybot Search&Destroy, EZ Antivirus and Spyware Doctor from PC Tools... I know, its a super overkill but hey, i like to be safe...
scojiro
I'm currently using NOD32 beta 2, free and very fast Very Happy
cefodes
I am using AVG and I think it is not so bad. But one of my computers was attacked by a virus and so far no free antivirus succeeded to heal the virus.

Can someone help me solve that problem ?
Ducksteina
No Avira Antivir in here?...
I'm using it for a few years now, and I do not have any problems with viruses.
The best combination is Avira Antivir + Windows Firewall(wtf am i crazy??? Seems so..^^)
Athomix
For me the best is G-Data!!!
It's not very welknown, but it had won a lot of price, in a lot of magazines.
It's easy to use it and it's very secure Very Happy Very Happy
I have never had a problem with it Wink
And you can controll all the parametres.
Zzz.
My best anti-virus is Linux ! I swear Wink
infinisa
infinisa wrote:
I need a free antivirus for Windows Server 2003. After looking around, it seems that the choice is very limited - just Clam Win.

AVGFree and Avast are NOT free for Servers, and NOD32 is only free for 30 days.

Clam Win got a rather poor ranking of "35. ClamWin version 0.83 - 48.44%" in this thread. I've just downloaded version 0.90.2.1.

Do you folks think this is the best free antivirus for Windows Server 2003?

Clam Win is much weaker than I thought - it doesn't do "on access" scanning: you have to do a manual scan to catch viruses!

Any suggestioins welcome.

Thanks!

Hi Guys

I'm still waiting for a reply to this one. I'm sure somone out there has an idea - Come on folks, please give me a suggestion!
iamarun
I have used AVG for quite long time, may be around 6 years. I found it good in blocking the virus and not the scripts are the spam. I have tried many different anti-viruses around the web. I also tired to use norton anti-virus but was not satisfied since it makes my computer run very slow. then i read and did some research on the net about the anti-virus. And finally came to a conclusion that i will end up using Bitdefender.

Bitdefender is a wonder anit-virus softwares which blocks anything and everything that can harm your computer. The fire wall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, parental control and many other features in Bitdefender made be to use my computer so comfortably.

I am satisfied with Bitdefender.
smartpandian
I like Norton.. expescially for its easy to use interface
infinisa
Hello Folks!

The more I use it, and the better I get to know it, the more impressed I am with Kaspersky Internet Suite 7.0, which does the following as thoroughly as you could wish:
- File Anti-Virus
- Mail Anti-Virus
- Web Anti-Virus
- Proactive Defense (explained below)
- Firewall
- Privacy Control
- Anti-Spam
- Parental Control

Sure, it has something of a learning curve, but it's worth it. In any case, I've written a "Getting Started" type document which I can supply to anyone who is interested, and will get you up to speed in no time at all.

The way to go is to download and install a free 30 day fully functional trial of the product from http://www.kaspersky.com/trials .

Then, if you decide to keep it, you just have to purchase a license and enter the key (i.e. no reinstallation is required).

So why is it so good?

For starters, besides doing real time scanning (like any decent antivirus program) it uses idle computer time to scan the system thoroughly (that’s the "Proactive Defense" feature listed above). So, although you need to do an initial "Full computer scan" in order to earn the "Your computer is protected" status, after that it's not really necessary ever again!

Another plus is that it finds malware (viruses, adware, trojan horses etc.) in places I've never seen any antivirus look before. For example, it checks the "System Volume Information" folder on each drive where Windows XP keeps its System Restore Point data. That guarantees that if you were to do a System Restore, you wouldn't restore any malware!

Once "malware" is detected in a file, you can attempt to clean quarantine or delete it. But sometimes it detects a "threat" in a bona fide piece of software, e.g. a "Hidden Install" threat in an installation program or an "Invader" threat in a program programming tool. When this occurs, you can create a filter so that you will never be bugged by the "threat" again.

Well, if you have managed to read this far, thanks for your patience! And why not give KIS 7.0 a spin?
Arnie
infinisa wrote:
infinisa wrote:
I need a free antivirus for Windows Server 2003. After looking around, it seems that the choice is very limited - just Clam Win..
I'm still waiting for a reply to this one. I'm sure somone out there has an idea - Come on folks, please give me a suggestion!
If you can afford Windows Server 2003, you certainly can afford an antivirus program for it...

infinisa wrote:
The more I use it, and the better I get to know it, the more impressed I am with Kaspersky Internet Suite 7.0
So did you buy Kaspersky for that server? Would be a good choice.
infinisa
Hi Arnie

Thanks for your comments.

I bought Kaspersky Internet Suite 7.0 for the 4 PC's I have at home (the licenses are available in packs of 1, 3, 5 and 10 - for 1 or 2 years - so I had to buy one more license than I needed – see http://www.kaspersky.com/home_globalstore?pcs80=1&prodid=80).

It would be have nice if I could have used the extra license for the Windows Server 2003. However, this product is for desktop OS’s only (see system requirements at the first product link above).

This is actually perfectly normal and reasonable, not because of differences in the actual operating systems, but because of the specific roles a server plays in a network. As the name implies, a server provides services for the PC’s on the network, and so Kaspersky has produced a suite of packages under the title of “Targeted Security” “targeted” at the particular roles of one’s server:
- File Server
- Mail Server
- Internet Gateway

Of course these Enterprise products carry a totally different price tag from those for the home or home office.

I hope that clears the matter up!
rafael2112
The use Avast

I have no problem with virus,is a good time Smile

The good that is freeware
ProtoMan
I personally love Kaspersky Internet Security Suite, it is known as the best virus/spyware destroyer for the year 2006. KIS loads really fast, does not use much CPU resource (Unlike Bit Defender, another popular anti-threat software) and best of all really easy to use, very user-friendly.

But there is a drawback that it is too expensive, we can get another good one for much lower price Sad
However, KIS is my choisce.
Arnie
Yes infinisa, that clears things up. You could try Kaspersky's server edition.
FlyingYouri
I use Norton Anti Virus. I like it, but I don't know why Eh? .
infinisa
Hi Arnie

Thanks for that. You're quite right, I could try Kaspersky's Server Edition, and it would surely be an excellent solution!

The problem is that I only use Windows Server 2003 occasionally as a test platform, so the investment wouldn't be justified.

Which brings me back to where I started - I'd like a FREE antivirus for Windows Server 2003!
bloodrider
I still use NOD32, until now I didn't see another anti-virus that is reliable and fast.
In past times I used essentially Norton, it's good but it takes up too much resources, then I changed to Zonealarm that did impressed me but overtime the firewall became to heavy Sad
After, I passed through Panda, Mcafee, BitDefender but none of them satisfied me or after some time they become to heavy for my PC, it's a problem of suites, since then I became anti-suites Exclamation
Then I discover NOD32 and nowadays I don't want anything more Very Happy

PS: I'm a little worried about NOD32 suite, I really hate suites Exclamation
infinisa
Hello Bloodrider

"ë m@ďš ńĺŘ ĐĎGŘ..." looks suspiciously like portuguese - where are you from?

Greetings from Oporto!
infinisa
Hello Bloodrider

It's me again.

I didn't use to like suites until I met Kaspersky Internet Suite 7.0.

It's easily the best piece of Internet protection software out there. The only problem it's not free, and it takes a while to get the hang of it. But for the peace of mind it gives, it's worth every Euro cent.

Also, it doesn't seem to be heavy on system resources: it does makes clever use of the CPU's idle time by scanning the disk, so you never really need to do a full system scan (after the first one, that is).

Give it a try (30 day free trial available). I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
MeddlingMonk
I use ZoneAlarm Firewall, Spybot S&D and AVG, as all of these are free and don't tend to use many resources as other anti-virus and firewalls I've tried.
infinisa
Hi MeddlingMonk

I have used all the programs you mention, precisely because they are free. But the most important thing about Internet protection software is that it should be effective.

ZoneAlarm is certainly effective - I used it for almost 4 years with total satisfaction.

AVG Free is certainly a good choice as far as free antivirus software goes, but unfortunately there is no really effective free antivirus software available.

If you really want to protect your PC, use Kaspersky Internet Suite 7.0 (you can try it for 30 days for free Smile ).

If you don't believe me, try checking any antivirus comparison site - just Google the phrase "anti-virus comparison", and take a look!
MeddlingMonk
Hi infinisa,

Thanks for your suggestion. I may give that a try at some stage. However, I feel that with a little caution, the software I currently use is adequate. I haven't run into any difficulties yet with my existing software and I have used it for years.

Yes, I agree that any antivirus/antispyware/firewall software should be effective; otherwise there isn't much point in using it. However, I believe that the effectiveness of a program is determined by the conditions it is used in. If you're going to throw everything possible at a firewall or antivirus program (such as opening attachments, installing software or browsing sites that are known for infections), then you'd need a really really good program to deal with it. For me, however, AVG and Avira AntiVir plus the combination of SpyBot S&D and AdAware to protect my system is effective for my purposes.
infinisa
Hi MeddlingMonk

You comments make a lot of sense.

However, I can tell you that my local Computer store frequently has to remove viruses from PC's that weren't detected by the PC's antivirus software (including AVG Free). I am told (and am inclined to believe) that in their experience installing Kasperksy zaps these viruses every time!

So you may just have been lucky so far. But of course it's up to you to decide what is an acceptable risk.

Good luck!
spykE
I have no virus scanner or anything like that. The only thing I do is run Hitman Pro once in a while to check if I don't got any spyware. A virus scanner really makes your PC run a lot slower, certainly the ones like Norton and such. I'd only use Avast, that's pretty much the best one I'd say and its free, well there are free solutions of it.
HamsterMan
I keep using AVG free, even tho I won Norton Systemworks in a lan contest,
it just kept complaining about my license so I didn't use it.
johnBdoe
Been using AVG free edition for two years. So far so good. Also one of the most important protection steps is to perform windows update from time to time. These two should be able to address most security concerns. As for wiping out spyware, I used spybot search and destroy. It does able to search most spyware or adware out there, however, it does not prevent spyware from invading our computers.
Softix
I am currently using grisoft AVG anti virus . It offers free download and also free trials. It works well with any version of windows and it doesnt lag up my pc.
chartcentral
My anti-virus program is not listed on the poll. I use Anti-Vir. It's light-weight on the CPU and disk usage, and able to take out the virus on my infected computer (which at the time AVG and Norton couldn't even detect). Not to mention it's also free with a nice user interface, too! Although the disadvantage of the free edition is a nag screen showing an advertisement of their premium edition once a day. Other than that, I'm satisfied with the protection it provides.
bloodrider
infinisa wrote:
Hello Bloodrider

It's me again.

I didn't use to like suites until I met Kaspersky Internet Suite 7.0.

It's easily the best piece of Internet protection software out there. The only problem it's not free, and it takes a while to get the hang of it. But for the peace of mind it gives, it's worth every Euro cent.

Also, it doesn't seem to be heavy on system resources: it does makes clever use of the CPU's idle time by scanning the disk, so you never really need to do a full system scan (after the first one, that is).

Give it a try (30 day free trial available). I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Hello infinisa! You were right, my signature sounds like portuguese Wink I live near Oporto, I even studied there some time ago Very Happy

I never tried kaspersky, although I have heard many people satisfied with it, because I am satisfied with NOD32 and as I acknowledge Kaspersky doesn't have a decent "renewal of the 30 days free"... I don't have the necessary patient to overlook for user&pass constantly Shocked

And since I saw some comparatives, I confirmed my expectations about NOD32. As you can see at
Code:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2007_11.php
both, NOD32 and Kaspersky , are the winers, but NOD32 it's slightly better Razz

But I can assure that if someday I've some problem with NOD32 I'll probably switch to kaspersky Exclamation
hsiaminghung
My computer is using Kaspersky...it's good software....
i using it for 4 years already...
kiran_n444
its Either Avast or the Highway. Avast is adequate, and allthe other ones take up 3 much resources.
anilerk
i use Pardus (Linux) and xp.

i generally use nod32.
but sometimes i change it to avira.
both of them are good.
eXon3
Well, in my opinion NOD32 is the best for me.
I used almost all anti-virus programs in the world. I had Norton, KAV, McAfee, and... well, I can't even remember.
NOD32 does the job, it took care of all of the problems I had in my PC, and that's why I decided to buy it. I'm using ESET Smart Security which includes the NOD32 AV and a spyware detector. Both work really great, and I'm pretty pleased so far. I also most mention it's a really light program that doesn't use alot of resources, so it's great for older PC's too.
Just my two cents.
rpdlch
I use Kaspersky 7 as my antivirus, Spybot for realtime protection and SpySweeper for an occasional scan. I'm regretting using SpySweeper though. It hogs so much RAM its beginning to annoy me. I tried XoftSpy a long time ago, and at that time it was great.
infinisa
Hello Bloodrider

Thanks for the comparison chart - it certainly makes NOD32 look cool!

As far as I can tell, NOD32 has a 30 day free trial, just like Kaspersky. So what do you mean by "Kaspersky doesn't have a decent "renewal of the 30 days free"." What happens after the end of the 30 day free trial of NOD32? Can you try it free for another 30 days?!?

I would like to give NOD32 a try myself - to see if it is really as good as you say. Only getting used to a new AV product can require quite a lot of work - that's why I'm interested in this trial renewal thing.
tombula
I use Avast! Home Edition. I have only one infection, but I test these files with almost all av softs and no one has detect this as threat. Except this, Avast catch all viruses, troyans and other "bad things" before they hit my computer.
misterXY
been trying out ESET Smart Security Shocked
TheBeast
I use ESET NOD32. It's the best (I think). It eats less computer recurses than the other antivirus programs and it catches many viruses. I'm greatly impressed and satisfied.
jembo
is that right?
that linux is safer than windows?
or just because linux can't execute *.exe file?

for my win antivirus i'm using McAfee
Bethere
For me sometime NOD32 , sometime AntiVir

I like AntiVir more than NOD32
bigt
Helios wrote:

Been using Norton now on the 3 Winderz computers here @ the house.
orcaz
I haf been using NOD32 for quite sometime, as i won a free license from an online forum. i would sae it is the best antivirus currently, because it is fast and light, and it has high detection and good heuristics too. kaspersky is a good choice too, but sometimes the CPU usage spikes up unusually high when i use kaspersky. nvr happened b4 after i used nod32.
mk12327
As I had 2 anti-virus installed... i was wondering how come there is no option for multiple anti-virus? Lol... I'm using Avast & Norman by the way...
nivinjoy
mk12327 wrote:
As I had 2 anti-virus installed... i was wondering how come there is no option for multiple anti-virus? Lol... I'm using Avast & Norman by the way...

Is it advised to use two anti virus softwares at a time...???

By the way i installed Avast Home edition last week and registered it and got it for 14 months...!! But after the first scan by avast, the system is not working properly...!! While starting the system it shows some messages like "Debugger message" etc and it asks to press ok to debug the program or press cancel to terminate the program...!!

As a result now my system is not at all working properly...!! It is not starting at all...!!!

What should i do now...!!!

Now another question...

One of my friend told me that Kaspersky 6 is the best and recommended to replace Avast with Kaspersky 6..!!

Now someone tell me out of the following three which is the best...

Avast Home Edition [Which i am using now..!!]

Kaspersky 6 [Of which my friend has the installation file..!!]

Nod32 [Where can i get this for free...!! Is it available free..!!]

Hope for a quick reply...!!!
sivaganesh1232000
AVG First...

Anyway Check the website which Provides 20 different AntiVirus Scan http://virusscan.jotti.org/
KSPKSP
I am using in my laptop Trend MicroPc Cillin 2007 software and in my Desktop I am using F-Secure which is not the best security software. With trend I have never got problems or viruses. It is always wake and deletes the viruses what comes to my laptop. I have never even hearded about Panda and those sucker softwares.. Sorry..
infinisa
Hello nivinjoy

You ask:

Quote:
Is it advised to use two anti virus softwares at a time...???

The answer is definitely not!

You see, if one AV program detects a file infected with a virus, and tries to disinfect/delete the file, this operation will be interrupted by the other antivirus!

As far as your "Now another question..." is concerned, about the choice between

Quote:
Avast Home Edition [Which i am using now..!!]

Kaspersky 6 [Of which my friend has the installation file..!!]

Nod32 [Where can i get this for free...!! Is it available free..!!]

I would go for Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 every time.

It's no great shakes having the installation file - it's available for a free 30 day trial from Kapersky, which I would recommend doing. What costs is the licence, but for the peace of mind this software gives, it's well worth it!
infinisa
Hello nivinjoy

Quote:
As a result now my system is not at all working properly...!! It is not starting at all...!!!

Assuming you're still trying to fix this problem, the first thing to try is to boot to safe mode. To do this, press F8 when Windows starts up (any version since 98 at least).

If that works, then uninstall the program causing the problems (Avast Home edition), and try booting normally.

If it still doesn't start, go back to safe mode, and do a "clean boot" - please see my post "How to Run a Full Computer Backup or Virus Scan Efficiently" for details.

That should enable the PC to boot normally.

Then you have to isolate the problem by rebooting after reenabling the startup services and programs a few at a time, until you figure out what was causing the problem.

Good luck!
nivinjoy
infinisa wrote:
Hello nivinjoy

Quote:

Assuming you're still trying to fix this problem, the first thing to try is to boot to safe mode. To do this, press F8 when Windows starts up (any version since 98 at least).

If that works, then uninstall the program causing the problems (Avast Home edition), and try booting normally.

If it still doesn't start, go back to safe mode, and do a "clean boot" - please see my post "How to Run a Full Computer Backup or Virus Scan Efficiently" for details.

That should enable the PC to boot normally.

Then you have to isolate the problem by rebooting after reenabling the startup services and programs a few at a time, until you figure out what was causing the problem.

Good luck!

Thank you my dear friend ..I have successfully fixed the problem as per your instructions... Thank you very much for showing interest in helping me...!! God bless you...!!
infinisa
Hello nivinjoy

You're welcome!

Quite frankly, I was really surprised that noone had answered your plea for help after nearly two weeks. I just saw your post yesterday.
showarea
I use ESET (Nod32), because:
It's FAST
It's SECURE
zinnglanz
I read some of the responses in the forum and one person inparticular typed an extensive list. Thank you very much for your advice. I cut and paste the list and will check them out later.

At present I use AVG Free and Avast for Anti Virus and Spyware Terminator and Adaware for spyware etc.

However, like I said, I will now be looking at some of the other that have been shown in this forum.
bloodrider
I'm a little late, but well, were it goes:

infinisa wrote:
As far as I can tell, NOD32 has a 30 day free trial, just like Kaspersky. So what do you mean by "Kaspersky doesn't have a decent "renewal of the 30 days free"." What happens after the end of the 30 day free trial of NOD32? Can you try it free for another 30 days?!?

No you "can't" Sad, what I was talking it wasn't really legal stuff... Razz

infinisa wrote:
I would like to give NOD32 a try myself - to see if it is really as good as you say. Only getting used to a new AV product can require quite a lot of work - that's why I'm interested in this trial renewal thing.

ESET software it's really user friendly, install it and after, it will do almost everything automatically, you may get some questions, like "can't clean, delete or quarantine?". Only if you want to get more control you may choose "advanced mode" and tweak the entire suite, configure the firewall to interactive mode, etc.
What I'm trying to tell it's that is the kind of software you install and you don't worry anymore. I even would recommend it to a newbie (if English it isn't a problem Razz).
Even yesterday I got surprised, I scanned my PC with Webroot Spyseewper and it didn't detect any spyware, I didn't thought that anti-spyware module of ESET suit was that good. Of course it isn't the final solution for spyware, but it's good to know that protect something, as for most of the suites I tried the spyware module was a joke Rolling Eyes

PS: The ESET suite it's the first that I'm really enjoying, fast and reliable, finally an all-in-one good coded Very Happy
Margery
I use AVG free edition. I've also used kapersky, avast, and norton. But only for trials.
carlbandit
I use Avira. I has been keeping me safe has lots of info on neerly every virus.

it also has a removel tool for every virus that you can download seperatly incase the scanner dosent work.
xavax
I use panda virus protection - Its a bit 'picky', but it's done its job so far.
rohaya
Avira for "president"...lol..

p/s: why Avira AntiVir dont come into account?? It's better than Norton.. or AVG.. and it' free Wink
bastropjoel
avg free, zonealarm free, spywareblaster
sulavaryal
i use avast anti virus.
dickyzin
I used to use Norton Antivirus and also Norton Internet Security.
cyberbuddy
hey where is Smart Security from Eset !! i think its ranking is second after BitDefender and yes the reasons is quite clear .

Cool Eset Smart Security give a good security and yes it is good in resources management
cyberbuddy
hey guys where is Bitdefender Anti virus in the poll list . If iam not mistaken its ranking is number 1 present market and i have used its awesome and yes u can have a pure safe system.When compared to other anitvirus yes it takes lots of space and yes pirated versions are strictly monitored so i think many of us would never go for it but i say it one of the bst when compared with Norton and avast.

Bitdefender also comes with a family pack of anitvirus and Anti spyware no need to install any other software to take care of spyware and yes its spyware works good hence in all probability Bitdefender is good !!

http://www.bitdefender.com/
czarulit
I don't use any becouse my OS is Debian GNU/Linux ;D.
rohan
eset nod 32 is very good antivirus to user consideration
nod has very small size of updates which is good property
nod update automatically which is good for user
nod rank as third in antivirus ranking which is not to bad..
but each one has own choices
dickyzin
Seems like the majority of the vote is for Nod. I've never used it before but might give it a try. It Nod compatible with Windows Vista. If Nod is ranked third for Anti Virus software, who has claimed the first and second place?
Prasad007
I love NOD32 Smile AVG is good for me too!
biljap
I use Kaspersky Internet Security and I am satisfied with it, I like the fact it has a firewall and anti-virus at the same time.
Although, I’ve been trying a lot of times to use some other AV but even when I liked it, I had a problem choosing firewall that will work together with it… I didn’t feel secure enough with combination I tried to make. Sad
frenz
im using now avira antivir personal its no.1 freeware, light in memory

what about for firewall bro?

i use comodo firewall for free very nice firewall for me Very Happy

For such users, Sunbelt-Kerio Personal Firewall is our top recommendation, as it seems to cause the fewest problems yet also manages reasonable protection.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm
themarine
I tested the software on different computers. On the most computers it wasn't working correctly (nothing to do with windows version). Maybe the floppy drive was working all the time, or if there was really a virus on the computer, windows didn't start again. But if the program works it's very nice but uses many system resources.

I also used F-Prot and NAV 2005, these two are not bad but they could cause some problems on some games. They also use many system resouces.

Now I'm using the AVG Free-Edition (www.grisoft.com). This one is working very good on every PC and for free. Also very good on some older PCs because it uses just 7 MBRam and has a fast scan but is finding nearly everything.

And if your PC is infected by a virus which can't be deleted by your Anti- Virus- Program just use Hijackthis. I get every system running again with this tool. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
themarine

And if your PC is infected by a virus which can't be deleted by your Anti- Virus- Program just use Hijackthis. I get every system running again with this tool.
themarine

coreymanshack
AVG made my hard disk spin when the computer was idle, and it wasn't running a scan "weird"... I'm using nod32 now, and it even seems to use less recources than avg.
forkei
Once I use Kaspersky but now i use eset nod32 and very like it
chartcentral
I'm still satisfied with Avira AntiVir for my Windows XP.

But on the Windows 7 (beta) installation that I have, I looked up at the list of Security software providers. Seeing Symantec Norton 360 as the more familiar product, I tried it first. But found out that it has too many extras that I don't really need. I uninstalled it and got McAfee instead. I didn't have to try Kaspersky and AVG as McAfee is good enough and I've settled with it.
no2joinmovie
I use KIS 9 ... i like it Rolling Eyes
kirba
i use BitDefender 2009 Total Security and i must say i am very pleased with it. Lot better than avast which i had previously installed.
Diablosblizz
I've demoed many of anti viruses, and I still keep coming back to NOD32. Lightweight is just amazing, does the job real well too, although I wish it had HIPS. I've tried everything: Kaspersky, Avast, Bitdefender, Avira, Norton, F-Secure, Panda, McAfee, AVG, Comodo and still NOD32 wins.

I will say that Comodo is right behind NOD32, it has a very solid suite, although it has a grudge against Starcraft.
ptpmonitor
I was very much wondered when I see that AVG is not in the poll list. I use AVG currently for 6 months and not a single virus entered in my PC. No doubt that AVG is the best. I used Norton, Avira, Mcafee, Kaspersky before but nothing can be compared with AVG. My AVG anti virus is a premium.
patchworkepiphany
I actually started to read this because i am having trouble knowing which antivirus to get... i used kaspersky before but now i hear its not that great with vista. have tried avira and currently eset ... if its a subscription one though, that has more than one licence i need it to work with three different os - xp vista32 and vista64. still researching...
pesar
im using nod32 and saticfy
hamza1122
Boys and girls. Zonealarm Security suite 8 with Zonealarm forcefield. I am using that now and ill tell you now that its REALLY good. I haven't tried trendmicro yet but i believe trend micro is also a very powerful software.
amperx
I use avast at home, it free and it doesn't eat up much resource than the others
bigt
Helios wrote:

I've been trying out Kaspersky now. Seems to be alright most of the time. Not sure it lives up to all the hype about being small and having a small system resource footprint, but what else are sales people supposed to say? Smile I'll mention it if it sucks.
xMaDTurk
I use Nod32 and I vote it.It's enough antivirus secority for me.Maybe I change soon.I will use Norton.Norton is good.But PC should very strong.Minimum 1 GB RAM.
paulotlet
I use kaspersky and i have to search for a new key every week but even with this problem I still think he is the best antivirus

for those who don't chose your antivirus yet here comes a comparative from www.virus.gr

Rank

1. G DATA 2008 version 18.2.7310.844 - 99.05%

2. F-Secure 2008 version 8.00.103 - 98.75%

3. TrustPort version 2.8.0.1835 - 98.06%

4. Kaspersky version 8.0.0.357 - 97.95%

5. eScan version 9.0.742.1 - 97.44%

6. The Shield 2008 - 97.43%

7. AntiVir version 8.1.00.331 Premium - 97.13%

8. Ashampoo version 1.61 - 97.09%

9. Ikarus version 1.0.82 - 96.05%

10. AntiVir version 8.1.00.295 Classic - 95.54%

11. AVG version 8.0.100 Free - 94.85%

12. BitDefender 2008 version 11.0.16 - 94.70%

13. Avast version 4.8.1201 Professional - 93.78%

14. Nod32 version 3.0.650.0 - 93.36%

15. F-Prot version 6.0.9.1 - 91.87%

16. BitDefender version 10 Free - 91.32%

17. ArcaVir 2008 - 88.65%

18. Norman version 5.92.08 - 87.72%

19. Vba32 version 3.12.6.6 - 87.21%

20. McAfee Enterpise version 8.5.0i - 86.57%

21. McAfee version 12.0.177 - 86.39%

22. Rising AV version 20.46.52 - 85.87%

23. Norton 2008 - 83.34%

24. Dr. Web version 4.44.5 - 82.87%

25. Antiy Ghostbusters version 5.2.3 - 80.23%

26. VirusBuster version 5.002.62 - 77.19%

27. Outpost version 6.0.2294.253.0490 - 75.35%

28. V3 Internet Security version 2008.05.31.00 - 75.23%

29. ViRobot Expert version 5.5 - 74.50%

30. Virus Chaser version 5.0a - 73.65%

31. A-squared Anti-Malware version 3.5 - 71.66%

32. PC Tools version 4.0.0.26 - 69.82%

33. Trend Micro Antivirus+Antispyware 2008 version 16.10.1079 - 67.28%

34. Iolo version 4.325 - 63.98%

34. Panda 2008 version 3.01.00 - 61.41%

36. Sophos Sweep version 7.3.2 - 54.71%

37. ClamWin version 0.93 - 54.68%

38. CA Anti-Virus version 9.00.170 - 51.08%

39. Quick Heal version 9.50 - 47.97%

40. Comodo version 2.0.17.58 - 43.15%

41. Trojan Hunter version 5.0.962 - 31.39%

42. Solo version 7.0 - 21.10%

43. Protector Plus version 8.0.C03 - 20.14%

44. PCClear version 1.0.8.0 - 19.63%

45. AntiTrojan Shield version 2.1.0.14 - 14.74%

46. Trojan Remover version 6.6.9 - 13.49%

47. VirIT version 6.2.94 - 8.63%

48. True Sword version 4.2 - 3.42%

49. Abacre έκδοση version 1.4 - 0.00%
zhaoyun
I have ever use norton anvir, kaspersky, nod, BitDefender and many other anti virus.

in my opinion the great and the best anvir is Kaspersky and NOD..

i like the NOD because this anvir is so lightly in use, it didnot consumse so much memory or CPU resource
Spiritfall
I use Comodo Internet Security because it's free and it doesn't take many resources. Its database is updated frequently even their Antivirus is not rated very well, the Firewall is one of the best.
The Antivirus is not so good, I get it, but if you don't open suspicious websites and programs you won't have any problem.
pscompanies
I use AVG Free on my desktop and BitDefender on my laptop, but I've heard that NOD32 is better. Might be making the switch soon..
ryaze
HEY PEOPLE!!!

Didn't you notice that 33% who voted answered>> none of the above???

It's because they use AVIRA!

The strongest Anti-virus up to date. Requires minimum process allocation and runs faster than any AV in the world. Detects viruses in mails and files, antiphishing, malwares, spywares and even rootkits.

So all you out there, please try AVIRA!
mafialive
What Is The Best Anti-Virus Program to date. I am currently using McAfee and is that good enough or are their better programs out there and how much do they cost?
the zephyrus
McAfee is reasonable at catching viruses, but kinda infamous (maybe second to Norton) in being bloated, slow, and interfering. I haven't used any particular product lately, but they're all trending that way.

ClamAV ( http://www.clamav.net/ ) is an interesting choice. It's free and open source and according to some sources (the field is highly polarized, criticism every which way) as good as commercial. (I don't know. I can't really judge.) You would need another frontend since Clam itself is command line. For example, http://www.clamwin.com/ . If nothing else it's pretty fast.

EDIT: Clam is kinda infamous for being hard to use. It's easier with a frontend but even so.

AVG is another free choice. Also good. Also fast ish. Not sure how it compares but I'd rely on it too. http://free.avg.com/

In the end, maybe no alternative to manual care.
shkhanal
I tried some but those folder.exe viruses remained always on my computer. Got very disappointed. Now when I use NOD32, It perfect. It worked and regserver.exe, newfolder.exe and all those sort of viruses are gone.

http://www.icttrends.com/Antivirus/ESET-Smart-Security-4.0.437-NOD32-Antivirus-Download-adn-Save-Yourself.html
ponda
shkhanal wrote:
I tried some but those folder.exe viruses remained always on my computer. Got very disappointed. Now when I use NOD32, It perfect. It worked and regserver.exe, newfolder.exe and all those sort of viruses are gone.

http://www.icttrends.com/Antivirus/ESET-Smart-Security-4.0.437-NOD32-Antivirus-Download-adn-Save-Yourself.html

NOD32 is wonderful. It saved my computer's life.
nivinjoy
Now i am a system admin of Department Of Mechanical engineering in a prestigious university college and there are 40 systems in our lab connected in lab...!! 5 systems are having lots of viruses and i would like ask some of my doubts in this context...!!

1. Is there chances of other systems getting affected...?

2. What is the best anti virus software i can install in this case..? (I prefer it to be a free download one...and can be updated easily)

Hope you guys will help me in this...!! I expect a fast reply from you guys...!!
menino
For the office, I use TrendMicro - its light, good, but not perfect.

For home, I use Nod32 4.x - its good, and fast - the newer versions are slower than older versions, but its still good.

Avast is also good, but a bit heavy.
The new Norton Antivirus 2009 is lighter, but not sure if its all that great.

Thats just my 2 cents.
nivinjoy
menino wrote:
For the office, I use TrendMicro - its light, good, but not perfect.

For home, I use Nod32 4.x - its good, and fast - the newer versions are slower than older versions, but its still good.

Avast is also good, but a bit heavy.
The new Norton Antivirus 2009 is lighter, but not sure if its all that great.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Thank you for the reply... Me too uses Nod32 and the virus signature database is updated...!! So again is there any chances of getting affected...??

By the way see the following topic also...and see whether you can help me...!!

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-109742.html#913282
bloodrider
nivinjoy wrote:
2. What is the best anti virus software i can install in this case..? (I prefer it to be a free download one...and can be updated easily)

No antivirus is perfect, so...
For me, Eset Smart Securiry it's the best choice, but has you need a free solution, you may try Avira, don't forget you're on a public institution...

nivinjoy wrote:
...Me too uses Nod32 and the virus signature database is updated...!! So again is there any chances of getting affected...??

By the way see the following topic also...and see whether you can help me...!!

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-109742.html#913282

Regarding this, you can see my answer on the topic itself.

nivinjoy wrote:
1. Is there chances of other systems getting affected...?

It depends on the virus, if they have network capabilities or not, otherwise they will only infect physically (USB disks, CD, floppies, ...). You should isolate that systems Exclamation

I don't mean to offend you, but do you think you have the necessary knowledge to be the responsible, as a "system admin"? ...
Ryox
I'm using Kaspersky 30-Day Trial but when it expires, I am thinking about buying it.

AVG is good, but when I installed it from the offical website it gave me a virus lol (harsh)
also it was a fresh install of windows after I uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2009
leondevil
I use Avira Free Edition - its great and I never get a virus!!

I every try NOD32 but it make my computer very slow while booting.

Now I use Avira and ARDV together. They're all great. Very Happy
xcelilx
I use NOD32 ...

This is not bad Smile
dickyzin
What's the best antivirus to run manually once off or once in a while? I want something that can detect and remove every virus, trojan, malware, etc. Since it won't be running all the time doing live scans, I don't mind if it is CPU or memory intensive. Need something that is thorough and effective.
nivinjoy
Hi I recently read in the site below that Bit Defender is the best anti virus..!! Link given below:

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

What do you all feel..?? I have put in a few questions...!! Please reply them..!!

1. I am using ESET Nod 32 Smart Security 4.0.437 and which is the best in out of these two..??

2. As i said i have Nod32 and hence is there any need of installing a personal firewall..??

3. Which is the best personal firewall..?? Is Comodo nice..??

Please help me out by replying to these queries..??
Baka_Desu
Currently using AVG 9.0, pretty good. Haven't switched for ages.
Tuvitor
I like Antivir, Malware Bytes, and Spybot Search-and-Destroy.

AVG isn't bad either, as a backup I use it from time to time.
kmaliagkas
Tuvitor wrote:
I like Antivir, Malware Bytes, and Spybot Search-and-Destroy.

AVG isn't bad either, as a backup I use it from time to time.

You are right. Why you pay for an Antivirus as a home user when there provided to you as free. I just mention to add as a firewall the comodo.
jstei
I use Avast. It has the feeling of being more user-friendly due to the new voice in version 5. Version 4 was just... bad.
mukesh
i currently using Avast but i want to change anti virus
is NOD32 is a free anti virus?
rickylau
mukesh wrote:
is NOD32 is a free anti virus?
Yes if Norton, McAfee are free also...

Currently quite happy with COMODO
dazzsser
i use kaspersky 2010! i have been using it for over a year now and i really like it!
gtsmatrix
Norton Anti-Virus is the best, it saved my computer alot. Very Happy
vetid
ESSET is a c...p (sorry can't find another word). used it for half year. then Norton been installed... 32 viruses and spywares was sited in my laptop exactly from that date when was installed nod32.
I prefer NIS only
dude_xyx
Now I use ESET NOD32 AntiVirus and COMODO internet SecurityPremium. Before I used Kaspersky and Before that I used AVG Free version.

Its always good to scan your computer with Another virus guard you have on your PC. What I do is I scan my PC with several online virus scanners once a while. Trendmicro HouseCall is the Free Online Virus scanner I use most of the time. Also I use BitDefender online Virus scanner. Both Scan, catch and clean viruses.
mukesh
Guys currently I am using "Microsoft Security Essential". I like this Anti virus to much. If possible then one time must try this antivirus.
oTricKsteRx
I personnaly use Avast but I dont think it is really good. I don't download to much so I guess i'm safe.
ms_j
NOD. i tried so many thing, but I'm only happy with this one. kaspersky was restarting my computer every 10 minutes Evil or Very Mad
chiwanpark
Because I lived in Korea, I am using V3 Lite.
It is made by Ahnlab which is Antivirus Company in Korea.
Helios
I have updated the poll Smile
Using AVG today, seems to be OK for my basic needs in Windows.
Zenk
I'm using avast, doesn't slow down my computer that much. Don't really care about the viruses.
han007
i found bit definder grate but its update is treble
Gh0stw4r
Microsoft Security Essentials has greatly improved but still prefer using the GDATA Internet Security 2011.
tamilparks
i am also using avast for me its very nice. and very good
Camidoo
I use Avast free Antivirus too and on the other PC GData Antivier 2010.
I think that they are very good and safe.
SultanMA
ESET nod32 4 FTW!
celebi269
I use Microsoft Security Essentials on my Windows 7 PC. It's really effective and reliable for me; since then, I'm virus free.
cnkele
Helios wrote:

using Kaspersky!
It's best for me.
command you can use it.
morkal
Avira slows down my internet speed for 50% but its great... Kaspersky rules
Gitesh
hey friends.,
why is Avira Antivirus not listed here.,
I never had any problem since 2 years of using this software., and its totally free too.,
am i on the wrong boat..
welshsteve
Having used Kaspersky for a number of years, I have just installed Trend Micro Maximum Security. After reading loads of security software reviews, it consistently came out on top and among the most recommended. PC World had a less than half price offer on so I thought I'd give it a go.
airh3ad
What happened to Symantec endpoint protection why did not include in the list? i'm using Symantec but i having problem with the malware he can't remove.
ricardinhu
avira antivirus free
meiz
I occasionally use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to perform quick scan. Laughing
lilysc1
I use Mcafee.
portoskt
i just use eset internet security software, i think my computer is pretty clean, but you cant be sure...
Chellesei
I used NOD32 and Norton before. But I switched to Avast and it's doing a pretty good job~ Very Happy
kmontano
I'm a big fan of Microsoft Security Essentials. Works well and integrates well with the OS. It does a great job and it is free!
gaconex
i using a freezer software...so don't need to use antivirus..;lol
nguyenvulong
AVAST is the best , and next to it is Avira . They have free versions to use .
Razz
samanyolu077
Avast but free and speed
thanhcuong1990
I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. I think this software is good.

Quote:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

The bottom line: Microsoft Security Essentials 2 will protect you, and it will generally do it well. However, its impact on system performance could be improved, and it's still a bit light in the tool belt.
Review:
Now in its second iteration, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) debuted as the lightweight, cloud-based successor to the paid security suite Live OneCare in 2009. Version 2 introduces deeper hooks into Internet Explorer and the default firewall in Vista and Windows 7. Security Essentials has begun to mature, although it's still rough at the edges.
Microsoft Security Essentials 2 (photos)

1-2 of 11
Scroll Left
Scroll Right

Installation
It takes very little effort to get going with MSE. Microsoft politely does not opt you in to the program's customer experience improvement program; you must choose to opt in or stay out of it before you can finish the installation. It also lets you choose whether to run the Windows Defender firewall, and whether to run a scan once installation is complete, although both of those are opt-out.
Overall, the installation time ran around 4 minutes on our test computer. That's not as blazing fast as some of the paid suites, which can complete installation in less than 60 seconds, but it is respectable for a free program.
Interface
MSE 2's interface adopts a different color scheme than the previous version, going for various shades of gray to replace the vibrant blue and white look. It doesn't pop as much, but it also looks far less like a Windows XP relic.
For those unfamiliar with the design, MSE has four tabs across the top. The Home tab contains your security status and scan options, and you can run a Quick Scan, Full Scan, or Custom Scan. A link at the bottom of the pane lets you change the scheduled scan.

The second version of Microsoft Security Essentials changes its plumage to gray, and adds better heuristic detections and deeper hooks into the Windows firewall.
(Credit: Screenshot by Seth Rosenblatt/CNET)
Update is where you manually get new virus definition files and program upgrades, History logs only detected threats, and Settings is where you go for advanced tweaking. The program looks simple, but don't be deceived: there are quite a few advanced options in Settings--just not as many as many competitors offer. Security Essentials uses labels imported from OneCare: green for all good, yellow for warning, and red for an at-risk situation.
Features and support
Under the clean and uncluttered interface, Security Essentials wraps up antivirus and antispyware engines, rootkit protection, and real-time detection courtesy of Microsoft SpyNet, the unfortunately named cloud-based service that anonymously compares file behavior across computers running various Microsoft operating systems.
SpyNet was introduced in Windows Vista and extended to Windows 7, but Microsoft Security Essentials is the only way to access the network in Windows XP. Unlike other security vendors that allow customers to take advantage of the benefits of their behavioral detection engines while opting out of submitting information, there's no way to do that with SpyNet.
Well, it's mostly anonymous. You can choose between two SpyNet memberships. The basic membership submits to Microsoft the detected software's origins, your response to it, and whether that action was successful, and the advanced membership submits all that plus the location on your hard drive of the software in question, how it operates, and how it has affected your computer. Both basic and advanced versions warn users that personal data might be "accidentally" sent to Microsoft, although they promise to neither identify nor contact you. New in version 2 is the option to opt out of contributing to SpyNet while still receiving the benefits of crowd-sourced security.

When you install MSE 2, it will automatically run a scan unless you opt out. Note that it will not consider your computer secure until that first quick scan has completed.
Microsoft Security Essentials 2 uses both definition-file and real-time defenses against viruses and spyware, and also offers rootkit protection. Along with the quick scan and the full scan, there's a Custom scan option that lets users select specific folders or drives to scan. It doesn't allow for customizing the type of scan used. For example, you're not going to be able to choose to scan only for rootkits or heuristics, as you can with other security programs. However, you can set USB keys and other external devices to automatically get scanned. The program installs a context-menu option for on-the-fly scanning in Windows Explorer, too.
The Update pane manages the definition file updates, with a large action button, and History provides access to a spreadsheet-style list of All detection items, your Quarantine, and items you've Allowed to run. Although it's a basic layout, this no-frills approach to security has proven appealing to people who are overwhelmed by more detailed security choices.
New in version 2 is integration with Internet Explorer so that downloads get scanned, and Windows firewall hooks so that your personal security net is tighter. For Windows 7 and Vista users, the Windows Filtering Platform that those two operating systems come with gets a boost from a new network inspection feature.
The Settings window allows you to further customize the program by scheduling scans, toggling default actions to take against threats, adjusting real-time protection settings, creating whitelists of excluded files, file types, and processes, and choosing from the aforementioned SpyNet options. There's also an Advanced option that is still fairly basic: here you can set Security Essentials to scan archives and removable drives, create a system restore point, and expand user rights to allow all users to view the History tab.

A nice feature in the scheduler forces MSE 2 to be respectful of your computer's processor usage.
Security Essentials comes preconfigured to run a scan weekly at 2 a.m., when Microsoft thinks your system is likely to be idle. New malware signatures are downloaded once per day by default, although you can manually instigate a definition file update through the update tab. Attachments and downloaded files will be automatically scanned by Security Essentials.
Help is only available in the form of the standard offline Help manual that comes with all Microsoft programs. There's nothing fancy here.
MSE abandons the additional heft of a firewall, performance tuning, and backup and restore options to focus on core security. However, the new version does include a system restore option, to back up your computer before you remove any detected malware. Most of the changes in MSE 2 are under the hood, but it's still a worthwhile program in terms of features, especially on lower-powered Netbooks.
Performance
Microsoft Security Essentials occupies a slightly different space than the rest of the security programs because it's the only one published by Microsoft, and, remarkably to some, it doesn't suck. Benchmarks by independent third-party efficacy testers and CNET Labs discovered that the program has uneven performance. (Read more on how CNET Labs benchmarks security software.)
Security program Boot time Shutdown time Scan time MS Office performance iTunes decoding Media multitasking Cinebench
Unprotected system 42.5 11.28 n/a 917 180 780 4,795
Microsoft Security Essentials 2 54 18 1,560 1,038 201 800 4,790

*All tests measured in seconds, except for Cinebench. On the Cinebench test, the higher number is better.
AV-Test.org certified MSE 1 during one test this year, and then refused to certify it during a test several months later. When tested on Windows 7 in the second quarter of 2010, MSE 1 earned certification with a 15 out of 18 score. It achieved 4 out of 6 in the Protection category, 4.5 out of 6 in Repair, and 5.5 out of 6 in Usability, where the minimum required for certification was 12. However, when tested on Windows XP in the third quarter of 2010, AV-Test.org did not pass MSE 1. The program earned 3 out of 6 in both Protection and Repair, and 5.5 out of 6 in Usability. Given the more advanced native security in Windows Vista and Windows 7, this could indicate that Microsoft's own security program is unsuitable for its older operating systems.
On the other hand, AV-Comparatives.org awarded MSE 1 an Advanced+ certification in November 2010 for its retrospective/proactive test, finding the program to have very few false positives.
Those results don't come cheaply, as far as system performance is concerned. CNET Labs' benchmarks put MSE 2 at the far slower end of the scale, with a bigger impact on system performance in general than most other security options. System start-up was 11.5 seconds slower than on an unprotected PC, and system shutdown was more than 6 seconds slower whereas most suites affected the system by 2 to 4 seconds.
MSE 2's impact on the MS Office, iTunes decoding, media multitasking, and Cinebench tests was generally unimpressive. The program did very well in the Cinebench test, but in others its results were more middle-of-the-road.
Virus scan times were also slow compared with the competition. MSE 2 took 26 minutes to finish a full scan, and nearly 2 hours on a real-world computer. The 2-hour time is slow, although not the slowest out there. The first quick scan performed at installation took 4 minutes, which is a competitive time for that type of scan.
Conclusion
Security Essentials is basically a good set-it-and-forget-it security program, but if you want more options and better results from a lightweight security option, Panda Cloud Antivirus Free Edition 1.3 is the safer bet.

via http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Security-Essentials/3000-2239_4-10969260.html
johans
guybrush wrote:
I would say kaspersky, but I think it is not necessary to use any antivirus software if you have a good firewall (such as kerio), and keep windows updated frequently. And remember to use Firefox/Opera instead of IE...

We used kaspersky, what i like in kaspersky is the flexible on server consul such as update and policies you input.. very stable and strict compliance against hacking, spam, virus and other concerns when it comes to security.

The best of all is light and it loads update fast without knowing the user...
pauline5765
I use avast home edition. It's free, updates daily and protects my computer well. That's all I need.
darthrevan
I use Linux Wink. Though of the anti virus apps I generally like avast the best. my next choice would probably be avira. I believe those two are the best imo
RosenCruz
I use Avira Antivir Free. Had premium version back in the time
bramybram
I like Norton Internet Secruity very well, And im stuck with it, its working very well but it is a very
big progra, also ive got MalwareBytes as 'Add-on' Very Happy
jajarvin
I use Avast. It is free, easy use and it works.
manverupl
Now I use AVG free but I think that Kaspersky is better.
zimmer
Kaspersky is number one now..but i have observed there latest version becomes too heavey , unlike thenold version is light one but still its a good anti virus.
zimmer
Kaspersky is number one now..but i have observed there latest version becomes too heavey , unlike thenold version is light one but still its a good anti virus.
subhan1
Avg works perfect for me - using it from a while Wink
sikender
Microsoft Defender that comes with Windows 8. Its good and doesn't bloat my PC like other AVs.
sujay85
Helios wrote:

I have different antivirus on different PC.
Eset Smart Security
Webroot SecureAnywhere
AVG Internet Security
Bitdefender Internet Security
Panda Cloud Antivirus pro
xmcorporation
I don't use an anti-virus since I'm on Linux, but if you're on Windows I would recommend AVAST
aayushsrivastava14
Whats NOD 32 I haven't listened the name earlier but seeing that 25% people are using it maybe I can give it a try! Till Now I have used Norton, Quick Heal, Bit defender and currently I use avast! Free Antivirus.
chartcentral
On Windows XP, it's Avira. But on my Windows 7, I just go with Microsoft Security Essentials. Smile
candido
On linux is easy work without virus
firesun57
I don't use an AV, I use a Mac or a Linux distro
magallon
herdProtect+Symantec Endpoint Protection
bensh3
The problem with using an AV as protection for malware is that AVs are not designed for blocking malware. AV software is designed to block/detect viruses; viruses are written differently from malware, and throw flags in different ways. While one might be better at detecting malware, it's pretty pointless to use two pieces of software that are designed for virus detection for malware detection; it's just not going to be very effective, even if they catch something.

There's also the simple fact that there was study published (recently) that pointed out the majority of malware infections at major companies went undetected by their anti-malware software. Not to mention, the likelihood of your AV/AM software actually catching everything is not in the user's favour. When there is one infection found, there's most likely another one that that wasn't found.

Just saying...
nicokant
It's easy, since Windows is the biggest Windows virus simply remove it and install GNU/Linux!

If you don't think so, think about what a virus does: catch user information without user control, it often does unwanted action without user awareness. Believe me, Windows does all these things and probably even worse.