FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does soccer have a future in the US?

goutha
I think that in a couple of years, the US will have a good team...

The only thing, that it will be the most multi-ethnic team Smile

That way, everyone around the world will be for the US... at least for soccer Wink
bigdbag
The only way that the US will be a good team is if the following happens:
1. The national league in america, the MLS must upgrade its caliber of play
2. More players need to be sent overseas to established European leagues like the Bundesliga, Premiership, etc...
3. More players need to be imported into the MLS from good soccer teams.

Since none of these are going to happen in the near future, the US team is doomed for the time being.
gh0stface
bigdbag wrote:
2. More players need to be sent overseas to established European leagues like the Bundesliga, Premiership, etc...

Since none of these are going to happen in the near future, the US team is doomed for the time being.

All these are good points, but one of the most key element in order for soccer to be huge in the US is interest.

U.S. Soccer is lacking interest from spectators for god who knows why. I mean, if people can stand to watch golf on TV, soccer is surely more exciting. Sure it's boring at times but at least the action is quicker pace.

I guess in order for soccer to become huge in the US, we need fans like these

;p
r_y_e_20
I can say yes.. soccer has a future in US, on the other hand.. US has no future in soccer.
rip8fan1
gh0stface wrote:
bigdbag wrote:

All these are good points, but one of the most key element in order for soccer to be huge in the US is interest.

U.S. Soccer is lacking interest from spectators for god who knows why. I mean, if people can stand to watch golf on TV, soccer is surely more exciting. Sure it's boring at times but at least the action is quicker pace.

;p

If she is a fan, then I'm a fan! (Nice to see another Bob and Tom fan also!)

I just don't see it being a 'great' sport in the USA until the players start making the money that athletes in other sports make.
skynet
Well.. I don't know what's going in the Us, but I see the National Team... and she play's well.. so if the National team play's well, so the league in Usa can be good as well... so I think that there is a future, but maybe it's need to put more money at the league.
Kamu8recon
Soccer wont be a big sport in the US just because of the fact that we have so many other sports that claim to win the "World Champion" status. Baseball - World series, NBA - World champions, Football - Superbowl world champs. etc...
I think that even the US ever won the world cup, soccer still wouldnt be a big thing. I mean they might give the team their 15 minutes of fame but thats about it. This is all due to the fact that the US supports so many other sports that have become sort of a habit. Superbowl, friends and family get together on a sunday and party hard watching the game.
So as i said earlier soccer wont be huge in the US due to the fact that we have so many other sports Sad . ( im a former soccer player myself )
nomokokoa
aaa
Magicman
The World Cup definatly helped the reputation of soccer in the USA (disregarding the fact that the US didn't even get into the Round of 16). Very Happy
I play soccer and I'm glad that the US is finally catching up on the rest of the world with the sport.
Chmura
I really hope us does get the soccer fever, during the world cup none of the americans i knew talked about the world cup
i was glad to see the italians celebrating the whole day on the streets though
beautiful
ChaosMike
I would hope America gets more into the soccer fever...however, most people I talk to say that it's too boring, which I of course disagree. It's more entertaining than some of the other sports on TV.
triggerhappy
soccer has a future cus i not heard about anyone talking about leaving this sport or banning soccer so i would say yes it has a future Smile
jmudreamscape
Soccer's never going to really take off in the US. The best athletes just aren't attracted to it, which means we send substandard athletes, which means we'll never win, which means it'll never really take off. If the Terrell Owens and LeBron James wanted to play soccer from an early age, we'd be a soccer powerhouse.
Kamu8recon
jmudreamscape wrote:
Soccer's never going to really take off in the US. The best athletes just aren't attracted to it, which means we send substandard athletes, which means we'll never win, which means it'll never really take off. If the Terrell Owens and LeBron James wanted to play soccer from an early age, we'd be a soccer powerhouse.

Thats a funny one... Terell Owens a soccer player or even Lebron James. When i read this i had to crack up. Thanks for the humor (im being serious.. actually im laughing)
xinafoid
i have played soccer since 4 yrs old and now im 16 and it looks like its the same since i was 6 yrs old. very unpopular and not fun to watch. i agree. but playing iti is something else. thats what i think...............................................................................................................................................................................................................
tribe
I played soccer for 10 years and I decided it was time to quit. I will help coach if anyone wants me to, but I like baseball so much more.

FYI.. A league I began play in began with just 200 kids in 1986, it has over 2500 kids today in 2006.

Soccer is getting popular for kids, mainly because many are afraid to play basketball-football-baseball.
---at least thats what many told me.
Kamu8recon
xinafoid wrote:
i have played soccer since 4 yrs old and now im 16 and it looks like its the same since i was 6 yrs old. very unpopular and not fun to watch. i agree. but playing iti is something else. thats what i think...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

I played socer also when i was a child all the way up until i left my european club a few years ago. I dont know where you play soccer but the game has changed a whole lot. Although soccer isnt that big for adults in the US it is very big for young children.
jveezy
Soccer will grow in the US simply because of the enormous impact it has had on young children.

The only reason these children don't watch soccer that much is because the only soccer they get on tv is the MLS for the most part. If the MLS was the only league in Europe, I don't football would be popular there either.

For the popularity of the sport to grow, we're going to have to see more European matches on tv. The market is definitely there. Every time a European team does a US tour during the summer, the turnout is extremely high, much higher than the MLS. That proves that we have a lot of fans here, just none that give a damn about the MLS.
fkmax
Yes i believe that USA has a great future in soccer, once more youngsters starts to play soccer, then they will have a lot of talents who can reperesent USA, and in future they may even win world cup.
cloudship
hehe, i think the USA needs more time to be strong in soccer, when NBA hocky and American football are not so important to the Americans
loseyourname
Frankly, I think the future success of soccer as a sport in the US is tied to the success of MLS, or of any future pro leagues that might pop up. There was a time when basketball was not all that popular here (or anywhere, for that matter) and the NBA only had a few teams, and even spawned a competitor league (the ABA). Once the leagues merged, and the sport saw the birth of major superstars in the 80s, the NBA took off and basketball has been pretty big ever since, though still not as big as NFL football or Major League Baseball.

It'll take time (decades, probably), but there is no reason why the MLS cannot eventually become like the NBA. The first thing it needs is a real powerhouse team with local support, like the Lakers and Celtics dynasties of the 50s and 60s, and eventually the kind of individual superstars that bring in major viewer interest.
alonzomourning
the americans are better at american football, NBA, NHL, Soccer is a good game but i think americans should keep up the work in those sports entertaining people while in the MLS the teams are pretty rubbish, I would love to see them get somewhere though.
bargainhutz
of course soccer has a fuire in the US, i am from the UK where we all love soccer, and we have loads of US players in out teams, the US national tem has really come on if the past few years. Being such a big place more and more people are going to get into the games. The world cup will really help as people see how good the team are getting.

Its never going to be the biggest US sport but it will get bigger.
valkyrie-heavens
r_y_e_20 wrote:
I can say yes.. soccer has a future in US, on the other hand.. US has no future in soccer.

Agreed.
fx-trading-education
I think that soccer is a not a good sport for US because you cannot have enough time to insert the commercials on TV. There are not enough time out. Can you imagine 45 minutes of sport without a commercial on TV !
So if it's not much on TV it will never be very popular.
gh0stface
fx-trading-education wrote:
I think that soccer is a not a good sport for US because you cannot have enough time to insert the commercials on TV. There are not enough time out. Can you imagine 45 minutes of sport without a commercial on TV !
So if it's not much on TV it will never be very popular.

Well, if you watched World Cup Soccer, they had a rotating ad banner type thing next to the scoreboard. Sure not everyone would pay attention to it, but it was there.

Also, the surronding fields were filled with product placement billboards.

The only way the US soccer will become popular is if it gets promoted like the NBA, NFL, NHL does. Otherwise it's going to sit where it is. Not very popular.
SpellcasterDX
Unfortunately, I doubt the US has a future. They need to make a better strategy and a better team. That's why the poor US team suffered in the World Cup
iagero
The US need Guus Hiddik!!!
Svarn
The US is already a much better soccer market than they were ten years ago.
Lester
I think it's quite possible that soccer (fussball) has a future in the United States. It might take 10 years, but I think that people will realize that soccer can be a very exciting sport. I know that after my trip to Germany, I sure viewed soccer in a different light. I love it!
Tvis
I'm not sure if American teams play international. For example in Europe all the teams play in there own country. They play for their own championship, besides that there is the Cup. So 2 prizes to win. It is that interesting because at the end ther is also the European Cups (Champions League and UEFA Cup). This is very interesting for the teams as they can gain a lot of money. In the US they also should build like either State Championshps and after that a Coutry wide event with the best of the states. Or they should participate in the South American Championships (Libertadores for example). Especially playing international can boast the level of the teams AND it's players....
Shin
I think football or soccer will be huge in the US, because US is a multi-ethic country. A lot of the people there are originated from else where, and football is popular almost everywhere apart from the US. That means a lot of people in the US like football. For example people from Mexico. But it's not going to happen overnight. Like one of the guys here said, until you have established a good football league you are not going anyway.
Svarn
If MLS can grow to the size of European teams in audience share/profitability/skill then the US will definitely compete with the best.

Unfortunately that is almost impossible, as competing with Football/Baseball/Basketball in the USA is an almost absurd proposition.
blendbet
I believe no. Only in South America
waka22
Soccer in the US has a chance to be as big of a sport as any other major sport in America. Though itís the most played youth sport in America, children are loosing interest as they grow older. I donít think itís because the MLS doesnít have the best athletes. Some of our US athletes are playing in the best leagues in Europe. I believe that itís not as socially acceptable to be a die hard soccer fan as it is to be a football fan. When was the last time you went to a World Cup party? Iíve played soccer my entire life and I think most MLS games are boring and are no comparison to European league games. I know many men (that have never played soccer) that think itís not a masculine sport because itís also a very popular female sport in America. If soccer is girly than baseball and basketball is girly. We already have the talent to be a world powerhouse. We just need the desire and dedication as a country to do so.
roninmedia
waka22 wrote:
Soccer in the US has a chance to be as big of a sport as any other major sport in America. Though itís the most played youth sport in America, children are loosing interest as they grow older. I donít think itís because the MLS doesnít have the best athletes. Some of our US athletes are playing in the best leagues in Europe. I believe that itís not as socially acceptable to be a die hard soccer fan as it is to be a football fan. When was the last time you went to a World Cup party? Iíve played soccer my entire life and I think most MLS games are boring and are no comparison to European league games. I know many men (that have never played soccer) that think itís not a masculine sport because itís also a very popular female sport in America. If soccer is girly than baseball and basketball is girly. We already have the talent to be a world powerhouse. We just need the desire and dedication as a country to do so.

Spot on. It is viewed as a girly sport. Because of Title IX, many colleges only have women's soccer teams and not men's team. How does that look as a future to high school soccer players?
Tom7
[quote="gh0stface"]
bigdbag wrote:

;p

mmm.... very nice.
if soccer was more aggressive, then maybe it would be more popular in the US.
mattchun
There have to be a superstar in American Soccer, otherwise it will never be a popular sports in USA.
Fake
r_y_e_20 wrote:

lol :d
manutdfc13
I personally think that it will take a little while for it too take off in the USA but i think that it will take a couple more stars like David Beckham to go to the US for it to take off.
josel7u1host
well i believe the MLS thinks that bringing players like beckham, cuatemoc blanco, reyna and others the league is going to grow up but they don't know that all this playes come here just to retire. the MLS have to bring the best players like ronaldino, both ronaldos, marquez, all the best playes in the world just like the MLB,NFL, and NBA this leagues have the best players in the world.
boristse
no..............dont kidding me
if it have....i may feel so scare
romaop
I agree with mattchun. Without really talented players american leagues will never grow. The space is too much occupied with basketball and baseball which have an aggressive and clever campaign.
georgekalathil
Actually I first watched the US football team during the 94 World Cup and they played some fine matches. They had some good and quality players and The big Alexi Lalas was among the best defenders in that World Cup. Eventhough they flattered in the second round against Brazil, they played with their head high. After 94 world cup, I think that they had a bit of downhill journey eventhough they produced some outstanding talents like Cladio Raina. If adequate steps are taken to improve Soccer in the US, its sure that they could yet again produce a world beating team in the near future, as they never lacked in outstanding talents.
Daire
mattchun wrote:
There have to be a superstar in American Soccer, otherwise it will never be a popular sports in USA.

Don't think that's the answer. Sure at one time they had Cryuff, Pelť, and lots more superstars of the time.

And look how it is now.,...
carlospro7
I think that until (more) people start becoming interested in soccer, then soccer in the US has no future. I remember in South America the fans go insane for the sport. When you go to a game the audience is animated. I remember the MLS games I've been to, people are getting up and going to places to get food or whatever, at least in my experience. I think the audience, the fans, other than the players make a huge difference on the game.
jabronie25
IMO not a chance

Look at the big 3, Baseball, Football and Basketball, you can throw Hockey in the mix

Soccer is low scoring game, and i think we want something with lots of scorting, tho hockey scores the least points out of the mention. But what draws hockey, is the physical contact, we all love fist fights.

Can Soccer have good rivalries?

Red Sox/Yankees
Cardinals/Cubs
Lakers/Celtics
...... list goes on

Oh and players

NBA has: Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash....
MLB has: Albert Pujols, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds....
NFL: Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Brett Farve...

And dont make me mention the legends and HOF. Babe Ruth, Henry Aaron, Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Bill Russel, Wilt Chamberlain, Roger Maris, Jackie Robinson
hilander
interesting topic,,very interesting. I really think that in the long run, like about 25 years long, soccer will start gaining fans, then support for teams, and then rating on tvs..It will have definitely a share between football, basketball, and baseball, but in the long run..Why ?? well, I have a lot of reasons, but I will mention just one, which has being already mentioned above..Right now it is watched as a girly sport, well,,just think forward, and you will notice that with the divorce rate, this girls will end up rising their children alone, and guess which will be the sport they will teach their children...soccer. Why? This girls will make that choice for a lot of reasons....I know it sounds very crazy,,,but it is a matter of time..For me..personally, I watch more soccer...Why?? I don't know,,probably because my parents taught me..Cheersss
josel7u1host
i think what the MLS need are the best players to be succesfull because it will not grow in popularity if the MLS don't bring better players. the best players play in europe but also there are many good players in argentina, brasil, mexico, and other southamerican countries. if you don't belive me just see what beckham is doing just one player and he is already making a revolution and he isn't here now.
Jurado
America can be such a big soccer country, they're doing their best, hope they won't fail. But there still a lot to do like get to the World Championship.

Grttz,