FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Deleted the Recovery Partition of my pc......

Simulator
Hi All, I'm a noob when it comes to installing Linux, and well I really screwed up this time, by deleteing the Recovery Partition of my PC, so I can't reinstall XP........... Anyone got any ideas?

My computer is a HP Pavilion a330.uk
webbone
Bad things,my brother,I think you can use other recovery software to test,like finaldata...
ezekiel_rage
Simulator
O for crying out loud! I had that disc sitting right in front of me the whole time!

I will give that a go now, thanks
thiamshui
You don't actually need a recovery partition to reinstall Windows XP. Just install using your Windows XP CD.. If you don't have one, you can borrow from your friends but use your own CD-Key which came with your computer..
Simulator
I thought there was all this genuine crap now with micrsoft though....
turbosquid
I would first try the ultimate-boot-cd and try to recover the data.

On my girlfriends PC she has recovery partition when i checked it out with "partition manager 7" it says that it's a FAT32 partition but it would not allow me to read the data on it. So i'm not to sure if a recovery program would be able to recover it or not, but it's worth a try.

Secondly if all else fails you can still use your windows registration key to install windows from a CD if you have one. You should find a sticker on your PC which shows your windows registration key it looks somthing like this :-

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/static/images/coa_page_pc-sysbldr.jpg

you can also recover your windows key from a working windows partition using this little program:-

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/downloads/kf141.zip

ITS NOT ILLEGAL to recover YOUR OWN registration key, but obviosly don't use it on anyone else's pc as that would be illegal, immorall, and theft!

good luck
Simulator
I have a <()py of \/\/1ndo\/\/s ><P Professional, would that work if I use the CD-Key from my ><p I-Iome

Sorry I am very paranoid....
Bones
Simulator wrote:
I have a <()py of \/\/1ndo\/\/s ><P Professional, would that work if I use the CD-Key from my ><p I-Iome

Sorry I am very paranoid....

No it will not, and whats up with the geek speak?
Also if you ever try to use a friends disk as was suggested above, you need to make sure that both disks are the same version (home, pro or MCE) and also the same source (oem or retail) because the keys are not interchangable
Simulator
Just incase there watching....
So I need to get my hands on an ><p I-Iome disc.... Wink