FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Family-specific words and phrases

make_life_better
Following on from The Philosopher Princess' recent thread on cultural differences between different English-speaking cultures, I'd like to start another, if I may...

Many families evolve strange, bizarre or just plain wierd language terms which are pretty-much specific to the family. Who else out there has strange terms and phrases that they use which completely confuse others? And how did they come about?

For example, many people are confused if I call myself a "pack-llama". This originates from about 25 years ago when we were staying in Devon, and met two guys in a pub who were on a walking holiday and using a llama to carry their bags.
Becky
Well...my family call the tv remote control an ofadofa (oo-fa-doo-fa), my mum says that it originates from a comedy show that was on really late when i was a baby, where they called a remote control an ofadofa......and now for some reason we always call it that. my friends think we're kinda weird Laughing
Soulfire
We use the term pack-rat a lot. I'm not sure why, it's sort of common here, but if I'm talking to out-of-towners, they just stare at me with a stupid look. It's actually quite funny.
meet in rio
Labels (in clothing) are called "yadous", because of my little brother's inability to say the word. Apples and bananas are called "abeee" because I couldn't say the words.

Reindeer are called "deer rein", nail varnish is called "varnish nail" and so on, thanks to my little sister.

Lots of sugary snacks are called by their initials (hot chocolate = HC, etc) or are referred to in German because we had to hide the fact that we were eating them from my little sister before her bedtime.

We have named for various dishes too, including "Guildford lamb" (where you stick a joint of lamb in the oven and go shopping in Guildford all day) and "French mashed potato" (when we do a crappy mashing job and it's all lumpy).

Mreh, those weren't very interesting, were they? I'll think of more.

Nice thread =]
HoboPelican
Well, Lets see...

For my sisters and me, animal droppings are "goodness", because whenever my mom found droppings from my sisters rabbit she would say "Oh, goodness". Smile

Porta-johns are GTOs. Derivation is sort of lost, but it had something to with green toilet odor.

This may be common, IDK, but a closed fist held to the forehead meant d*ckhead. Smile
Zug Zug
OMG I love this one!

Here it goes:

Sleeping person- Bummage

Dinner- Dinish (My grandmother has a speech problem at times lol)

Laundry- Bag O Hurt (used by us kids because we decided to put the laundry in a bag when we were little and hit each other with it.)

Dishes- Crates

Snack- Nummies

TV- Tele

Binky- Abriaah

Many more lol.
eastguild
well our old family says go like this:

Ezim "E-zim" - it means "It seems" but a shorter way of saying it.

Thisthing - use like "it is at thisthing", "over at thisthing" with no reference to what thisthing can be.

those are what i remember. only now it pops out rarely.

the others i read is cool.

right now it is "nanas" for bananas, which i got from my nephew.
he says it like "I want a nana".
secret_soul
Tammers in the larder --> I challenge you to figure this one out! Razz

Carpark --> Grandpa [I could never pronounce it when I was younger]

Easties --> Eastenders [the show]

Motherin --> Mum

Fatherin --> Dad

Sisterin --> Tilly [sister]

I have a weird family...
pennymellow
I tend to come up with cutesy names for family members, such as mims/mimsy and dids/diddys for my mother and father, respectively. Nicknames aren't particuluarly unique occurance (neither for me nor the rest of the world) but I understand that these particular names aren't very common.
SumPersonGuy
I don't have any, but I've heard people call the remote the "clicker" and I've heard the term pak-rat a lot.
Blaster
Yea pack-rat is common. We use when we go out to ride our four wheelers we call this riding. When i tell people something like when we wen't riding or what ever people think i mean riding horses.
cybernie
we do have terms in the family only we can understand... since we're having different languages (i am a filipino, with our own local dialect), myou will not understand what the words mean... example...

nadupalog = in a hurry
nahibubut-ukan = choked
Mithrandir
We called the microwave the "nuker". That might not be specific to my family, but I don't recall hearing it anywhere else. Also refer to the computer as the "pu" and the phone "telephonic transmission device". My mom started calling it that in an effort to make fun of my love for Star Trek.
chargoyle
Although it's probably more colloquial than family-specific, my family transforms "a while ago" into "wallago." I've heard some families from the southern United States use this term but not very often. Also, it's in a similar line but I was wondering who used the word "flip-flop" versus "thong" and who used "pop" instead of "soda." I've also noticed living in the northwestern United States that people drop the word "the" in some cases. For example, instead of "I'm going to the Carlson's" it's "I'm going to Carlsons."
Ellosha
Well, my family doesn't really have anything too odd that we say that would confuse other people. Unless you count saying "gesundheit" when someone sneezes, and that's more German than something just our family does.

This is actually a southeastern WI thing, but here we call drinking fountains "bubblers" at least, as far as I know its only done here. Every where else I've gone when I've asked about a bubbler people just look at me like I've lost my mind.
squirrelmaster
I think Abbreviations would be the most common, just to save time
Before bed my mom reminds my little sis and bro to do PHT,
which stands for go Potty, wash your Hands and brush your Teeth

"I call the pot" means you claim the pan with which to cook Ramen Noodles
So when my sister says I stole her pot, my friends think I took Marajuana Laughing
(which is funny cuzif any kind of illegal drug ever came in my house i would be KILLED!!)
families are wierd sometimes aren't they?
riv_
"Smushies" are mashed potatoes. "Rubby bunnits" are bunny rabbits. We. always called the outhouse the "ferret hole" when we were camping (long story) Oh, and one must always remember to bring your "baby suit" if you wish to go swimming!
Families are strange. (Especially mine - too many family-isms to count!)
Donutey
flipper - for the remote
whersteh - as in "Whersteh ketchup"
screamingdecay
My family called the car a waggon when it was a suv :\ I guess that would coutn would it?
The Philosopher Princess
“Naners” = Bananas

“Taters” = Potatoes

“Maters” = Tomatoes

“I’m going to make us a snack.” = I’m going to fix us a meal. (We’ve found it funny to use the diminutive “snack” to stand for a whole meal.)