FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Warren Buffett

alkady
It seems that the latest trend this year is to donate all your money to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Not so long ago, Bill Gates announced he was quitting Microsoft in 2008 to be able to concentrate on his charity while also leaving a huge stake in his wealth to the charity when he dies, Well now Warren Buffett decided to donate 85% of his wealth to that same foundation.

Anyhow I wanted to talk about Warren Buffett, It seems that unlike many Billionaire, This guy really stays modest. He lived in the same house he bought nearly half a century ago, He work in the very same office where his company once begun, His corporate web site is no frill, His car is very old and the license plate spells thrifthy.

I'm impressed that this man is willing to live no frill after all these years, What do you guys think.
Mithrandir
Yeah, that is really generous. I don't know if I would do the same in his shoes but its great there are people in the world so willing to share their fortunes.
Farhad
I read Warren Buffet's autobiography, and I must say I was totally impressed by him. His company Berkshire Hathway stock price is a dizzying 80,000. And yes it is ture he has the same house and so on. The only real thing he has spent his money on is an jet airplane to fly coast to coast (usually to finilize deals).

Since Warren Buffet is the 1 or 2nd richest person in the world (it keeps changing year to year check Forbes), 85% of his money is ALOT. However having worked in the humantarian field, pumping money does not mean all the problems of the world would be solved, as the example is... in Africa most of the poverty is caused by restrictions on free and fair trade and the lack of education. The basic premise should be teach a man to fish and he can feed himself for a lifetime and not just give a man a fish.
Scorpio
alkady wrote:
It seems that the latest trend this year is to donate all your money to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Not so long ago, Bill Gates announced he was quitting Microsoft in 2008 to be able to concentrate on his charity while also leaving a huge stake in his wealth to the charity when he dies, Well now Warren Buffett decided to donate 85% of his wealth to that same foundation.

Anyhow I wanted to talk about Warren Buffett, It seems that unlike many Billionaire, This guy really stays modest. He lived in the same house he bought nearly half a century ago, He work in the very same office where his company once begun, His corporate web site is no frill, His car is very old and the license plate spells thrifthy.

I'm impressed that this man is willing to live no frill after all these years, What do you guys think.

A little correction there

He is giving 85% of his wealth not only to the b&m gates foundation but also to other such organisations
including the ford foundation
That is, he is to give around 37.5 billion $ for charity
About 31 Billion goes to the gates foundation and the rest to other organisations
Vrythramax
I don't know how "thrifty" I would be if I had that much ready cash, charitable...yes....thrifty...mmmm..I don't think so. It's easy for these people to say they are going to leave all that money to charity after they die....but how about while thier alive? Are they also willing to be so generous when they are still around? I knida doubt Mr. Buffett would give up 85% of his wealth while he was still able to enjoy it.....I'm not saying he doesn't give to charity now....I bet just not as much as after he doesn't need to keep his private jet in fuel and pay a pilot to fly him around.
Mithrandir
Yeah but think about how much research all of that money can fund.
Vrythramax
Mithrandir wrote:
Yeah but think about how much research all of that money can fund.

I'm not saying donations made after you die isn't a good thing, or a charitable one either....simply that people may need that money now, not 20 years from now after they (the potential contributors) have lived a long life of wealth and splendor. It is of course thier money do with as they please....but if you plan on giving it away in the future why wait? Who really needs a billion+ dollars in the bank to make thier monthly bills....or even to live life comfortably?
skygaia
I read about Warren Buffett at a newspapere. It was very impressed to me.
In my country, it's very difficult to find a person like him.
And most charity donations is done by companies. Ordinary people think they have no money to donate. I don't want to say my country.

I was told that 70% of charity is personal donation in U.S.
I don't like the U.S but I think we have to learn its culture of donation.
Code of Ruin
Certainly an impressive man. He is intelligent and cunning but also has his heart in the right place. He is not stupid though. He still has enough money left to live at large should he choose to do so. I can understand his decision because what else could you do with that much money. I think it is wonderfull that he shares it with the people who need it.
Zug Zug
If I had that much money I'd send my daughter to the best schooling possible...and probably donate a lil portion here and there...but mainly keep most of it for future generations.