FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fighting Addiction

Panthrowzay
there is a hobby and then there is addiction how do you fight of addiction?
lors
I guess it all depends on what kind of addiction you are talking about, some certainly cause more harm than others. The phrase "everything in moderation" applies to most things tho.
AlexNet
Fighting as a hobby, I assume you mean in the ring, as either boxing or something like the "ultimate fighter". I would love to do something like fighting in the ring, but its really too much work for my level of interest.

as to the answer to your question, psychotherapy is a great solution to deal with addictions to things like that, because its all in your mind.
Crinoid
Self control, self discipline. None of us is eating nothing but candies and each passed potty training - these things are possible. Responsibility instead of self indulgence and entitlement. Self respect - after facing consequences - after all.
soljarag
AlexNet wrote:
Fighting as a hobby, I assume you mean in the ring, as either boxing or something like the "ultimate fighter". I would love to do something like fighting in the ring, but its really too much work for my level of interest.

as to the answer to your question, psychotherapy is a great solution to deal with addictions to things like that, because its all in your mind.

I think he meant "Fighting Additiction" as in .. trying to stop additiction?? I dont know... maybe not...
deanhills
Crinoid wrote:
Self control, self discipline. None of us is eating nothing but candies and each passed potty training - these things are possible. Responsibility instead of self indulgence and entitlement. Self respect - after facing consequences - after all.
I read something interesting the other day where it says that some people have a shortage of brain chemistry, dopamine in their brains. So they are more prone to addiction than others. One can also get addicted to food, as carbohydrates can also lift dopamine levels in the brain. Obesity is not always a simple case of lack of self-discipline. Addiction can feature quite strongly with obesity, and the part that makes it of course so challenging is that food stares us in the face all day long everywhere. Very easy to be totally addicted to fast foods.

http://www.treatment-centers.net/addiction-genetics.html
Quote:
A significant advance in understanding the role of genetics in addiction occurred in 1990 when researchers linked the D2 dopamine receptor (DRD2 gene) to severe alcoholism. Studies of the brain showed that those with the A1 variation of the DRD2 gene have significantly fewer dopamine receptors in pleasure centers of the brain. Persons who become addicted to drugs that increase dopamine levels do so to compensate for that deficiency. Subsequent studies have linked the A1 variation of the DRD2 gene to other addictions including, cocaine, amphetamine, heroin and nicotine.

These studies suggest that people with this genetic trait are much more susceptible to addiction and likely to fall into severe forms of addiction.

Ernest Noble, professor of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences and director of the Alcohol Research Center at the University of California, Los Angeles says that while drugs such as naltrexone are being tried, with acamprosate undergoing trials in Europe but awaiting FDA approval in the United States, they are not currently dispensed based on an individual's genetic profile.

yagnyavalkya
TO have contror over you body and mind is the way to fight addiction
youandmephotography
Specific Instance help:

Video game addiction. Now this is a relatively new type of addiction, yet it is equally as dangerous to all ages. What some people fail to realize about video games, specifically multiplayers is that they offer the player a new world where she or he can be whoever they choose to be.

In order to fight an addiction, like WoW (world of warcraft), you must find a real reason to quit. Whether it be staying up until 3AM before final exams to finish that instance of yours, or yelling at your parents every night until they let you play games, those two examples are reasons to quit. Think about what you lose and the very little you gain. You gain pixels and control over a small digital community. But what you lose is ... humanity and reality.

Finding a way back to reality is the only way to stop these kinds of addictions.

If you need help, go to wowdetox.com there are plenty of stories on there that can help you.

That is, assuming your addiction is game related...
jwellsy
Deanhills, good post. That is an interesting article. The hardest addiction I've conquered was caffeine. I started drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes in the military. For thirty years if I was awake I had a cup of coffee and lit cig with me. Four years ago I quit both of them. The caffeine was much harder to quit than nicotine. I was so addicted to caffeine I had to drink a cup of right before going to bed or else would wake up jonesing with a withdrawal hangover. I was in a low level coma for a year while my brain remapped the neural pathways. I think the formerly caffeine excited neural pathways could no longer function without the stimulation and they atrophied and died so my brain had to reprogram itself.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
Deanhills, good post. That is an interesting article. The hardest addiction I've conquered was caffeine. I started drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes in the military. For thirty years if I was awake I had a cup of coffee and lit cig with me. Four years ago I quit both of them. The caffeine was much harder to quit than nicotine. I was so addicted to caffeine I had to drink a cup of right before going to bed or else would wake up jonesing with a withdrawal hangover. I was in a low level coma for a year while my brain remapped the neural pathways. I think the formerly caffeine excited neural pathways could no longer function without the stimulation and they atrophied and died so my brain had to reprogram itself.
That is interesting too. I also have an addiction for coffee ... have had this all my life. I'm not at a serious level of coffee addiction as I usually stop after lunch, but I am addicted to the extent where it has an affect on my nervous system. My test is when I smell coffee, it really sends "must have coffee" signals to me. I have not been as successful as you to kick the habit as every now and then I relapse. Right now I am in remission Smile One thing I know for sure is that I operate much better when I let go of coffee.
jwellsy
I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine now too. If I drink one can of diet coke (caffinated), I instantly want another one. Where as, I can drink one caffeine free soda and be perfectly satisfied and satiated. If I have 3 caffinated sodas in the course of an afternoon or evening I'll wake up the next morning with a withdrawal hangover.

One big part of the coffee addiction that I have not been able to shake is the need for drinking hot liquids. Decaf coffee, decaf green tea, hot lemonade or even just hot water is comforting to me. That seems to be a huge component of caffeine addiction that can't be ignored.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
I'm pretty sensitive to caffeine now too. If I drink one can of diet coke (caffinated), I instantly want another one. Where as, I can drink one caffeine free soda and be perfectly satisfied and satiated. If I have 3 caffinated sodas in the course of an afternoon or evening I'll wake up the next morning with a withdrawal hangover.

One big part of the coffee addiction that I have not been able to shake is the need for drinking hot liquids. Decaf coffee, decaf green tea, hot lemonade or even just hot water is comforting to me. That seems to be a huge component of caffeine addiction that can't be ignored.
I have a weakness for Diet Pepsi. I rarely have it, and usually at cinemas or fast food places and I always ask for a large size. Never realized it was because of the caffeine, but now that you mention it, it must be because of that. I am wondering now whether we have an instinctive need for caffeine with fast food, the one making us drowsy and the other balancing things out with the caffeine. So I can imagine if one would have diet pepsi on an empty system that one would become quite hyper as a result of it.
melind
I have a diet coke addiction. Its quite sad actually. My room is filled with a lot of diet coke. I practically live of it. I actually consider it a hobby of some sorts.