FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Radeon 9550

Darius
Anyone here tryed to tamper with the speed of 9550? I'm planning to switch to nVidia, since i don't work with video or graphics and need more gaming power. Still, anyone overclocked theyr ati beasts? What where the default and the max clocks you got?
shaggly
I'm afraid I don't know a huge amount personally about Radeons, but most of my m8's who use them seem to overclock them without too much trouble.

I did notice that you're planning on switching across to Nvidia for gaming though. I'd think carefully about this one m8. The Nvidia drivers can be an absolute nightmare. My last 2 cards have been Nvidia (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment), and my next one will most certainly NOT BE...
Darius
Yes, i heard those driver can be pretty bad, but the performance is something to risk for Smile there are tools for overclocking. Actualy nVidia can be overclocked without much of a problem too. As for ati, well i got about 10-15 frames more (could go further, but didn't want to fry the card).
jackill
My Radeon 9550 from sapphire 128bit

standard: 250/196
overclocked: 370/220 (380/225 max)
in 3D mark 2003 +500 pts Smile
Donutey
jackill wrote:
My Radeon 9550 from sapphire 128bit

standard: 250/196
overclocked: 370/220 (380/225 max)
in 3D mark 2003 +500 pts Smile

9600XTs (which have the same core the 9550 does, I believe) are at 500/300... I wonder if you slapped the same heatsink as the 9600xt has if you'd get near that...
Muscae
it's depend what memory you have (acces time). In most cases you can overclock to 400/300 at least, but some models (those wiht good ram) goes as high as 500/350.
Darius
As far as they may go, you got to check the temperature.Since overheating can cause damage, but also criple performance. Same as with processors, overheating decreases performance. I am for 9600XT or 9800XT which is even better, but both of them quite rare. At least in my country, since both have great performance and small price (not to mention the overclocking they support Smile )
jackill
Donutey wrote:
I wonder if you slapped the same heatsink as the 9600xt has if you'd get near that...

I have this heatsink: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=41 and radiator on memory. In case i have 24-30* (depending on air temperature in my room) and i haven`t any problems with overheating (note that i`m using low speed of the cooler on silencer Smile ).