FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are you clever enough to challenge ... go in !!!!

alkutob
This is a challenge game ... only 4 those who are clevers

click here and you will know who is the cleverer ....

http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/games/magic-gopher-central.swf
Mental2k
not really clever, its just the knowlendge that what the gopher asks you to do always gives you a number which is a multiple of 9. check through the symbol thing and you will see (as if by magic, only this time not gopher magic, but mental2k magic) that all multiples of nine have the same symbol, which will, of course, be the one the gopher has predicted.
Traveller
It is cute, though.

As long as someone has mentioned the magic of nines, here's a neat trick that I hadn't known when I was a child learning my nine times table. Now, I've passed it on to friends who have kids, and they love it.

To use it, first prepare a sheet of paper that looks like this:
Quote:
9 X 1 = _____
9 X 2 = _____
9 X 3 = _____
9 X 4 = _____
9 X 5 = _____
9 X 6 = _____
9 X 7 = _____
9 X 8 = _____
9 X 9 = _____

X______________________

Now start to tell the following story:
Quote:
A man decided to apply for a job a a certain company. When he got there, the manager said, "Everything we do here is in multiples of nine, so you have to know your nine times table very well. So [put the piece of paper on the table], here's a little test for you. Go ahead and fill it out, then sign your name at the bottom and hand it in to our secretary, and we'll get back to you."

Well, the guy looked at the form and said, "Well, let's see. Nine times one. Okay, that's easy enough: anything times one is itself."

[write 9 in the blank next to 9 X 1 =]

"Hmmm. Nine times two. I don't remember what that is. Nine times three? Nine times four? I don't remember any of these! Well, this isn't looking very good. I wonder how many I got wrong.

"One. [Write a 1 at the beginning of the blank after 9 X 2 =]

"Two. [Write a 2 at the beginning of the blank after 9 X 3 =]

"Three. [Write a 3 at the beginning of the blank after 9 X 4 =]

"Four. [Write a 4 at the beginning of the blank after 9 X 5 =]

"Five. [Write a 5 at the beginning of the blank after 9 X 6 =]

"Six. [Write a 6 at the beginning of the blank after 9 X 7 =]

"Seven. [Write a 7 at the beginning of the blank after 9 X 8 =]

"Eight. [Write a 8 at the beginning of the blank after 9 X 9 =]

"Yikes! That's terrible! I'd better check it again.

"One. [Write a 1 at the end of the blank after 9 X 9 =]

"Two. [Write a 2 at the end of the blank after 9 X 8 =]

"Three. [Write a 3 at the end of the blank after 9 X 7 =]

"Four. [Write a 4 at the end of the blank after 9 X 6 =]

"Five. [Write a 5 at the end of the blank after 9 X 5 =]

"Six. [Write a 6 at the end of the blank after 9 X 4 =]

"Seven. [Write a 7 at the end of the blank after 9 X 3 =]

"Eight. [Write a 8 at the end of the blank after 9 X 2 =]

"Well, I guess I really did get eight wrong."

So he signed his name [scribble something on the signature line] and he left.

When you get done with the story, the final times table on the paper will be correct! Sure, it's simple, but it's a great effect, and handy as a teaching tool.
myrevolt
Traveller that's neat.

The way I learned back in third grade was:

Hold out all ten fingers. Now, let's say its 9 X 8 = ?
Lower your 8th finger and now you have 7 on the left and 2 on the right side Razz So 72!

The one I always wished I was taught was 11's...
Daniel15
Yes, I saw something similar before (yesterday, in fact) at http://www.milaadesign.com/wizardy.html . Here's a reply I posted previously:
Quote:
Firstly, you can use Algebra to prove the answer:

1) Let the first digit of the number be 'x'. Let the second digit of the number be 'y'. Hence, the number is 10x + y
2) Now, if you add the two digits together, you get x + y
3) Then, if you subtract 2) from 1), you get 10x + y - (x + y)
4) 10x + y - (x + y) simplifies to give 9x

Hence, the result in the end will always be 9 times the first digit. Then, in the chart of symbols, the multiples of 9 are always the same image. Simple Very Happy

(posted by me at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=95204.msg622293#msg622293)
Jack_Hammer
Traveller wrote:
It is cute, though.

As long as someone has mentioned the magic of nines, here's a neat trick that I hadn't known when I was a child learning my nine times table. Now, I've passed it on to friends who have kids, and they love it.

I have never had any problems learning my 1-12 times table.
Wink
Mental2k
Oh dont't get me wrong it really is cute, and we had a lot of fun with nines when I was in primary 4. magic nines are fun:wink: but i like ruining magic for people:wink: only kidding.
goutha
It's funny. The sign changes every time, and the number is always a multiple of 9... It's also intelligent!!

I like it!
cfackler
I remember learning times tables in second or third grade. We memorized them and recited them for the teacher. When we learned one, we got to put a sticker next to it on a chart. The first person in the class to memorize all of them got a prize. We also listened to a record *gasp* with times table songs on it.

For other cool multiplication and math tricks in general, check out http://curiousmath.com

I came across it one day using stumbleupon. There are some neat tricks, such as how to multiply three digit numbers mentally.
sharp
Mr gopher messed up when I said 82

is then

8+2=10
10-8=2

and the symbol he gave me was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now whose clever
IceNinjaa
sharp wrote:
Mr gopher messed up when I said 82

is then

8+2=10
10-8=2

and the symbol he gave me was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now whose clever

ok...you chose 82
therefore yes youll have 10
but you have to do your initial number (82)- the sum(10)=72

find your symbol and he wins

nice try though
sharp
bah , wasnt thinking clearly... keep in mind im at work, lol.

yea for some reason I was going back to the number 8 rather than 82... hhhhh ffs....
Balthamos
Whatever the symbol is at zero is the one the gopher will pick. One that I thought was pretty good was one with cards. Then they ask to pick your card, and then he said he would make your card disappear. Course it did, cause it just came out with all these new cards instead Very Happy.

~Balthamos
Daniel15
Balthamos wrote:
Then they ask to pick your card, and then he said he would make your card disappear. Course it did, cause it just came out with all these new cards instead Very Happy.

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that Razz I found that when I was 8 years old, and I thought it was pretty cool (until I noticed that all the cards changed Razz)
Zug Zug
I love that beaver! It's cute. I was a wiz at the times tables..heh but my sister totally sucked. All i really did was use jelly beans....and if she got it right she got them if wrong I ate them in front of her. Heh I kinda got off subject.
Bosleee
loved it thats brilliant and the cuteness of the gopher makes it better
prongs_386
here's one

write down a 3 digit number
eg. 358
then reverse it
now subtract the smallest from the biggest
853-358
=495

once the person has done that, ask them wot the last digit of the number is and the number is always (9-last digit)(9)(last digit)
so for my example if they say the last digit is 5, I know the number is 495.
mOrpheuS
Anyone who knows primary school mathematics will not find this impressive or challenging at all.

And anyone who doesn't know primary school mathematics will manage to prove the Gopher wrong.
Wink

It's pretty boring either way. Very Happy