FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trouble getting Apache to exec .py files

Tac-Tics
I have the same Python script saved as both a .cgi and a .py file. As you can see, the .cgi executes the script while the .py does not.

http://tac-tics.frih.net/test.cgi
http://tac-tics.frih.net/test.py

My .htaccess is

Code:
DirectoryIndex index.html index.py
AddHandler cgi-script .py
Options +ExecCGI

And I added the handler in DirectAdmin
Handler extension
cgi-script py

The permissions are also both the same. What am I doing wrong?
Traveller
Although not at all familiar with Python, I searched the forum and found THIS POST that Bondings wrote in response to someone else who had asked about Python. I just tried his example (names changed, of course) on my site, and it worked, so I'm sure that if I can do it with NO prior Python experience, it should make perfect sense to you, and get you going.

Good luck, and have fun!
Tac-Tics
Traveller wrote:
Although not at all familiar with Python, I searched the forum and found THIS POST that Bondings wrote in response to someone else who had asked about Python. I just tried his example (names changed, of course) on my site, and it worked, so I'm sure that if I can do it with NO prior Python experience, it should make perfect sense to you, and get you going.

Good luck, and have fun!

Yes. I saw this post as well (and it did work).

However, I believe this example is using mod_python. On my personal apache server, I don't have mod_python. I use CGI instead. I can get my scripts to work by renaming them all as .cgi files, but I want to keep the extensions the same as on my HD.
Bondings
Tac-Tics wrote:
However, I believe this example is using mod_python. On my personal apache server, I don't have mod_python. I use CGI instead. I can get my scripts to work by renaming them all as .cgi files, but I want to keep the extensions the same as on my HD.

So why don't you keep them as a .cgi then? I don't really understand your problem.
Tac-Tics
Bondings wrote:
Tac-Tics wrote:

So why don't you keep them as a .cgi then? I don't really understand your problem.

My problem is just that =-) I want to keep the extension consistent with my own system (which won't work with cgi as it's currently set up). Moreover, the more I learn about configuring Apache, the better.

It seemed to me like all I would need to do would be add a single line to my .htaccess. If that isn't the case, I will probably end up renaming them anyway.