FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

4 queries: user reqs, vids, & images

CuriousAlice
Greetings, all!

I'm browsing around for a good place to host a site in the future, and FriHost seems marvelous by all accounts. I've read over the FAQ and TOS and paged through some (but not all, I admit) of the posts here in the guest forum, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask directly, to be sure I'm clear on the rules.

First, I understand the requirements about remaining active in the forums. What I'm not clear on is the association between a person's account for the forums and the hosted account. For instance, do I have to have the same username for each? Could I have "sillyme" as my name in the forums and "arandompage.frih.net" as my webpage?

Second, but going along with the first, would it be possible to have two different people posting in the forums, but associated with the same hosted account (so, essentially, their points both apply to same hosting)? I don't mean necessarily that the points would add together, but so long as one of them was active in the forums at any given time, would that be enough to keep the webpage from being deleted? Or, alternatively, could two people have access to the same forum account and post under one username, or is that breaking the TOS? I ask because a friend and I are considering creating a site together and sharing responsibilities, but I don't know how that would work with the forum requirement and wondered if there was any way to split that as well. I'm sure we'd both be active, but just as a precaution it'd be nice to know.

Third, I've read enough to understand that we're allowed to upload our own videos to our site for other people to download and watch, provided they fit within the size requirements, but I wanted to check if this applied to fan music videos--e.g., a short video made by the user but containing clips from a (credited!) movie not made by the user and a song by an artist (also credited) who is not the user. I'll hope that sort of thing is prevalent enough in forums and online in general that someone answering this knows what I mean. I just wanted to know if videos like that could be hosted here.

Fourth and final, also applying to the "FriHost is not an image or video host," I imagine we are allowed to host our own images used in our site design. May we also host our own images for users to download, or may we hotlink to our own images hosted elsewhere?

I apologize for the length, but I wanted to get everything in while I was thinking of it; no one has to answer all four, of course, unless an admin or like personage with great power and knowledge happens to have the time. I look forward to your answers and (I hope) becoming part of the FriHost community!
CuriousAlice
Having browsed a bit more, I answered my first question, I think. Subdomain and forum name can be different, but you're stuck with your forum name once you pick it, I guess?...which would make sense, of course. So all association is behind the scenes, so to speak, and visitors to your website need not know your forum username, and viceversa, unless you specifically choose to advertise it?

Sorry about this additional spammy post. I would've edited the first one, but since I'm not registered yet I don't have the ability to do that.
Daniel15
Quote:
First, I understand the requirements about remaining active in the forums. What I'm not clear on is the association between a person's account for the forums and the hosted account. For instance, do I have to have the same username for each? Could I have "sillyme" as my name in the forums and "arandompage.frih.net" as my webpage?

Yes, you can choose whatever you want for the forum username, and the subdomain. They're independant of each other.

Quote:
would it be possible to have two different people posting in the forums, but associated with the same hosted account (so, essentially, their points both apply to same hosting)? I don't mean necessarily that the points would add together, but so long as one of them was active in the forums at any given time, would that be enough to keep the webpage from being deleted? Or, alternatively, could two people have access to the same forum account and post under one username, or is that breaking the TOS? I ask because a friend and I are considering creating a site together and sharing responsibilities, but I don't know how that would work with the forum requirement and wondered if there was any way to split that as well. I'm sure we'd both be active, but just as a precaution it'd be nice to know.

I don't think that's allowed. What if you just got the person that would be the most active to post? Or get one person to work on the website while one person posts here?

Quote:
Fourth and final, also applying to the "FriHost is not an image or video host," I imagine we are allowed to host our own images used in our site design. May we also host our own images for users to download, or may we hotlink to our own images hosted elsewhere?

By "FriHost is not an image or video host,", we mean you can't set up your own hosting service, like Imageshack or Photobucket or something. Uploading your own images is allowed.

Quote:
So all association is behind the scenes, so to speak, and visitors to your website need not know your forum username, and viceversa, unless you specifically choose to advertise it?

Yes, exactly. The visitors of your site won't know your username here unless you tell them.

I think I missed some questions, but I'm really tired and need to go to bed Razz. If you don't get any other replies by tommorow I'll edit my post Wink
mathiaus
A little addition;

CuriousAlice wrote:
is the association between a person's account for the forums and the hosted account. For instance, do I have to have the same username for each? Could I have "sillyme" as my name in the forums and "arandompage.frih.net" as my webpage?

Your domain does not have to be related to your username at all. Your directory at Frihost will be however though your users will not see this at all. (ie. /home/users/mathiaus/public-html etc)