FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good Free Graphic Editors

shenyl
I am looking for free graphic editor that will run on Win platform, which does a reason job. Like layering and allows gradient, etc.

Macromedia Firework is good, but costly.

Suggestions are welcome.
exarkun
GIMP is a good choice. Free and a secong choice to photoshop, if it was for me. Lots of good features in it too.
anpir
My vote is GIMP too . this is very good for all people.This is secong choice to photoshop Wink
shenyl
Thank both of you for the info, just downloaded the GIMP software, and will try out it's features.
webbone
You can find photoshop light edition to use,It's good,I think so!

Photoshop Light Edition is just that, "light" on a few of the more esoteric functions of the "full" version of Photoshop, for most purposes it is perfectly adequate. The latest version of "Light" I've seen was 4 or 5, which implies that Adobe no longer release it, preferring now to bundle Elements with scanners/printers, probably a better choice of product for the average home user.

"Elements" falls somewhere between the two, the built-in functions and filters being more aimed at the digital imaging user, so is superior to "Light" from this point of view ... Elements 2 is superior to the original Elements, both of which have some features/wizards that make them "better" than Photoshop 5 full version, for the purposes of digital photography.
selim06
GIMP(The Image GNU Maipulation Program) absolutely the second program for Graphical Designs(after Photoshop). Here is the link:
http://www.gimp.org/
and for Windows:
http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/
Petee
I recommend Paint.NET. It's free, quite powerful, has many features that Photoshop has, in a somewhat simplified form. Although it may not be quite as powerful as GIMP, it's still a good program. You do need the .NET Framework 2.0 and Windows XP to run it though.
Phil
GIMP.
The GIMP is becoming increasingly more popular. Many people explain it as a "Free Photoshop", but that's not at all what it is. It was designerd as an Open Source Photo Editor.
If you want to do graphics, GIMP definitely deserves a try.
shenyl
I have to said, GIMP 2 have many features, but it is really awefully crumblesome to use. I am very familiar with Firework 8, and really takes lots of time to learn the user interface for GIMP2, which I have to said is not very consistent and the inability to see the various windows all at the same time, really makes it difficult to optimise on GIMP capabilities.

.NET Paint, I have also tried, but lack the layering and vector graphic capabilities.

Yes, the Animated GIF production from GIMP2 is relatively easy, but the creation of the individual images on the layers is not easy at all.

Will have to spend more time to be familiar with GIMP2.

Thank you all for the advices, but I still have not found the free and yet powerful graphic editor.

Hope more advice on good freeware graohic editors can be received.

With regards.
Phil
Quote:
I have to said, GIMP 2 have many features, but it is really awefully crumblesome to use. I am very familiar with Firework 8, and really takes lots of time to learn the user interface for GIMP2, which I have to said is not very consistent and the inability to see the various windows all at the same time, really makes it difficult to optimise on GIMP capabilities.

You know, that's one thing about the GIMP I must agree with you on. It is very cumbersome. If there was a way to just get all the windows to stay in place without having to maximize them everytime you click, it could really be nice.
They do have a Photoshop like interface for GIMP. It's called GIMPShop. I could never really get to where I liked it though.
ocalhoun
^I've gotten to where I like being able to manipulate the different parts of the program as separate windows (as opposed to photoshop's windows inside a window). It gives more control and customization over the interface, and makes switching around easier, especially when working with multiple images and especially when using it on Linux, which has better window management.
{name here}
If you can spare a little money(I'm talking child's play compared to photoshop) I highly reccomend you go with Pixel, a photoshop clone. I like it much better than GIMP.
budazz
GIMP is a pretty good one..... but you can spend a bucks go for photoshop....complete and standards for graphics
Edas
If you can spare a little money I'd rather suggest the new Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo XI.
It's really good stuff!
Alias
Well... I recommend Photoshop if you have plenty of money to buy it.
Does GIMP really do a good job in photo editing?
{name here}
Alias wrote:
Well... I recommend Photoshop if you have plenty of money to buy it.
Does GIMP really do a good job in photo editing?

If you can like the interface, it just might work out.
corey
Its interesting that there's always that bit of friction between Gimp and Photoshop, mostly because of the interface. You know, I learned on Gimp and tried Photoshop after and I found the same experience as those doing the opposite. I think that its just what you learn on. For the longest time, i didn't like using Windows,as I was used to DOS, for example.
soulman
GIMP is really good if you do not like to buy a photoshop
chennai
Gimp , the open source image manipulation programy has features similar to photoshop and other commercial ones.Since it is open source,it can be modified or new features can be developed.Also it has whole lot of developers making it more perfect and feature rich
redice
I use gimp, it like the adobe photoshop, but all free.
urangkayo
try GIMP

it's the best graphic editor and free. GIMP like free version adobe photosop
BladeRunner
I go with the concensus and say that if Photoshop is out of your price range, go for GIMP.
shenyl
Firstly, I need to clarify that there are 2 specific categories

1. Photo Editors - You have a photo image and want to enhance it
2. Graphic Editors - You create an image using the tool, and often involved in 3D effects and animation.

GIMP has great features on layering (Multiple layers that can overlap on the background layer) that can turn each layer On/Off.

Good for graphic editing. However, it also has a fair amount of Filtering features that are used in Photo Editing. GIMP thus, is able to fill both the Graphic and Photo editor roles.

Problem is the many windows GIMP opens and the need to switch between the various tools windows and the image/content window. Someone noted that it is due to the poor window management of MS Window and GIMP is better on Linux. I am unable to confirm this, as I do not use GIMP on Linux.

Photoshop can be seen as a Photo editor, and not a Graphic editor.

Paint.NET is a free Graphic/Photo Editor - but the layer management is really not that great.

Vector graphic which draws using maths model (e.g. a Circle = centre + longest raduis and the shorter radius) is great for enlarging and reducing those graphics. Only Firework support this, but Firework is very costly.

In my opinion - GIMP is good graphic editor, if I do not want to fork out a large sum of money.

But commercially many are using the expensive Firework for graphic.
Very refined user interface and great features on layering, vector graohics, and also use of their term "symbol" for animation, etc.

Photoshop is good for photo editing - But you should try the free Picasa2 from Google - which in my view does a very good and free job for photo editing.

I do hope, I clarify the 2 categories which I have started in this thread.

With best regards.
JamesBond
i use the GIMP and its quite a good option if u are vying for free and open source software. Corel is also not a bad choice.
ammonkc
GIMP is very powerful. but if your trying to transition from photoshop, then try GIMPshop. its a port of the GIMP but with a UI that trys to mimic photoshop. it should be a lot more familiar to those of you who are already using photoshop.
shenyl
Thank you ammonkc for highlighting GIMPshop, I will have to try it out to see if it can resolve the many windows I faced with in GIMP.

Will feedback after I have tried it.

With regards.
xkobram
shenyl wrote:
Thank you ammonkc for highlighting GIMPshop, I will have to try it out to see if it can resolve the many windows I faced with in GIMP.

With regards.

Well lot of tutorials are made fo GIMP
ammonkc
xkobram wrote:
shenyl wrote:

With regards.

Well lot of tutorials are made fo GIMP

No problem. I haven't spent very much time really using GIMPshop myself. But it looked nice and clean, and I've heard good things about it. Yes please post back any reviews about it after you give it a try.
greatindiangenius
GIMP is not that easy to use so Paint.NET would be a better option.I'm trying to add the extra features of GIMP into Paint.Net i'll publish links to my version here soon

Happy new year everyone
outofnicks
I have a bit of trouble with Gimp in Linux, don't know if it would be the same in Windows or not but I occasionally click on the image window to bring it to the front, then if I have the brush or whatever selected from the toolbar, I leave a black dot in the image. Sometimes without even realizing it. Or, I have crop tool selected and the crop dialog opens when I don't want it to.
I have to remember to click on the window outside of the image, something I didn't have to worry about with Photoshop or any other image editor for that matter. It's just a bit annoying sometimes!
shenyl
Yes, tried GIMPShop, the various windows are indeed much easier as they appear altogether.

However, it is still very difficult to master the various tools of GIMPshop.

Will need some tutorials to understand them.

Will find time to look for some tutorial and try them out.

Any suggestions for easy and good tutorial on GIMPShop?

Thank you.
Babsta
Omg everyone is in favor of GIMP.. lemme give it a whirl too
Very Happy Very Happy
turbowolf
Yeah. GIMP is a good choice. But it is still too simple compare with photoshop. Certainly its function is fit for normal use but it is not suitable for serious user.

exarkun wrote:
GIMP is a good choice. Free and a secong choice to photoshop, if it was for me. Lots of good features in it too.
vixenk
shenyl wrote:
Yes, tried GIMPShop, the various windows are indeed much easier as they appear altogether.

However, it is still very difficult to master the various tools of GIMPshop.

Will need some tutorials to understand them.

Will find time to look for some tutorial and try them out.

Any suggestions for easy and good tutorial on GIMPShop?

Thank you.

I don't know of any Gimpshop tutorials but I do know there are tons of good tutorials at the Gimp website. You may need to change over to regular Gimp to use them, though, as Gimpshop tends to change the names of various tools to be more Photoshop like.
corey
I never did learn on Photoshop, as I could never really justify its cost. I learned on the Gimp and now Photoshop seems to do things in a weird way. I find it complicated.

Does that sound familiar? Most people say the same things about Gimp, since they learned on PS.
asciii
try gimp
tony
im a gimp guy myself. never had a problem w/ gimp+gtk+arch linux.
turbowolf
Indeed I think Photoshop is not more complex than gimp. They all use the same idea "layer". And most functions of their toolbox are the same. Yes, Gimp has less menu items. But this is because its function is weaker than photoshop.
corey wrote:
I never did learn on Photoshop, as I could never really justify its cost. I learned on the Gimp and now Photoshop seems to do things in a weird way. I find it complicated.

Does that sound familiar? Most people say the same things about Gimp, since they learned on PS.