FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


USEnglish (Americans only)





S3nd K3ys
http://www.usenglish.org/inc/action/congress/

Let your reps know how you feel about making English the Official Language in the United States...
Andrew426
I thought it already was...
thegamecreator
Nope its not...if it was you wouldnt go to new mexico hearing spanish all the time even tho its part of the us
S3nd K3ys
thegamecreator wrote:
Nope its not...if it was you wouldnt go to new mexico hearing spanish all the time even tho its part of the us


Nor would you be able to, um... VOTE in Spanish. Voting is supposed to, BY LAW, be done in ENGLISH.

ENGLISH, MOTHER ******, DO YOU SPEAK IT???

joxang
just because they speak spanish in new mexico...does that mean english isn't the official language?
S3nd K3ys
joxang wrote:
just because they speak spanish in new mexico...does that mean english isn't the official language?


Um. No.

But that STILL doesn't change the fact that the United States of America does NOT have an Official Language...
HoboPelican
Andrew426 wrote:
I thought it already was...

From Wikipedia.
Quote:
Although the U.S. has no official language, it is largely monolingual with English being the national language,[59] which is spoken by about 82 percent of the population as a native language and nearly everyone as a daily language


US has no official language, as was noted earlier.
Soulfire
I think English should be declared our official language. You heard the statistics, 82% of Americans speak English as a native language, and much more speak it in daily conversation.

My Spanish teacher told me that by the year 2020, we're supposed to be an "officially" bilingual nation, being able to speak both English and Spanish.
HoboPelican
Soulfire wrote:
I think English should be declared our official language.


I have to admit to being very conflicted on this issue. I think I tend to agree with you though. English should be the official language. While I am a big believer that the strength of the US comes from it's "melting pot" population, I also think a common language is one of the things that hold us together. Of course, I recognize that Im getting older and don't like the idea of having to learn spanish...Lazy SOB. Wink
myrevolt
English is my native language, though I no a little Spanish. I think this whole declaring English as a national language is crap though.

You see, the government does this kind of thing to take public focus off of important issues...like a corrupt government.

Further if you make it "official" (as if it hasn't been the predominant language since this country's inception) then are they going to make it illegal to speak in other languages? Am I not going to be allowed to speak Klingon anymore (note I don't speak it, I detest that particular made-up language, but my point is, what would be the full implications of such a law).

Additionally if it is in fact put into law, it should NOT be a constitutional amendment (as they are our rights, not restrictions).

Lastly, the fact that our nation hasn't declared it official, in 229 years, and yet we haven't had a problems, haven't required people to be bilingual (except colleges; that's another topic entirely) means it isn't a problem.

And I thought this was supposed to be a free country...apparently not with these restrictions that congress has come up with lately.
HoboPelican
myrevolt wrote:
English is my native language, though I no a little Spanish. I think this whole declaring English as a national language is crap though.
....
And I thought this was supposed to be a free country...apparently not with these restrictions that congress has come up with lately.


I agree, it should not be an amendment. People are way to eager to change the constitution. NO Amendment.

I disagree, though, that it is meant to change the focus off of coruption. I think it is a valid issue in itself. And I don't see it making the speaking of other languages illegal. But I think schools should be mono-lingual. I think road signs should be mono-lingual. I think voting, drivers exams etc, should all be in english.

The fact that is wasn't a problem before doesn't imply is isn't now. Things change.

It would still be a free country. Is Canada any less free because they have 2 official languages? It just emphasizes the need for immigrants to learn the language.
snowboardalliance
Soulfire wrote:
My Spanish teacher told me that by the year 2020, we're supposed to be an "officially" bilingual nation, being able to speak both English and Spanish.


I hope that never happens. I hate spanish, and as soon as I finish taking required classes in school I never want to speak it again. Making English official would be good, I see no real negatives here. It won't make other languages illegal to speak.
bdoneck
I too, only see positives in this idea, especially with all of the immigration from mexico making a great proportion of the population unable to speak english. speaking foreign languages should be something needed for foriegn affairs, not to order a big mac
Donutey
I personally don't care, it's just another one of those issues used to distract from the real issues... like flag burning. (that might have been a tad sarcastic)

But if English is the national language does that include all English dialects... like chinglish, southern english, midwestern drawl, and saying george warshington?? Rolling Eyes
AdamantMonk
Don't you love it when pet peeves get taken to congress?

Yea...
Farhad
I agree with AdamantMonk, its a pet peeve. Probably a political move to appease people who are antagonist about immigration in general.

The fact that the US has no official language is symbolic of what the founding fathers were trying to do when they wrote the constitution, of showing that the goverment could not dictate or mandate any specific behaviour from it's citizens.

If the American citizens and it's goverment is afraid of mass immigration and therefore of it's effects it should try and not destroy the finicial systems of it's South American neighbours. The large influx of people comes from the economic, social and political discrepancy between America and it's Southern neighbour. It's pretty clear that if economical and political support is given to Mexico, the mass immigration would stop.

Because honestly, all this official language implementation, the large border system and other remedies are just band aid fixes to a much wider problem. You must look at root causes of immigration and not just the effects of immigration.

And why degrade your civil liberities further? Fine this might not affect you as much. But what about stuff like the Patriot Act? NSA telephone surveliance?

And to add to that, any one see the Daily Show episode where some kook in New Jersey, joined up with the minutemen militia and is actively watching the Canadian border for illegal immigrants? I laughed so hard I fell off my chair.
Jayfarer
What are the real positives to making English official? Are you having trouble using English today as a result of it not totally official? This is just a waste of time.
Vrythramax
I persoally have no problems with immigration, but I do think English should be made the national language. To have multi-lingual signs and such would be very confusing for those of us born in this country and raised on English....we accept peoples from all cultures in this country, the least they should be able to do is learn English like the rest of us have had to while in school, growing up, and in the workplace. I am not an American Indian, but I do consider myself a native to the US, and at this stage in my life to have to learn a whole new language other than the one taught to me while growing up in this country is just unreasonable.
Mithrandir
I think its an excellent idea to officialize it as the national language. It helps maintain part of our nation's identity as an english speaking country.
ocalhoun
S3nd K3ys wrote:

What was that all about?
Jeslyn
I always assumed English was the official language, never occured to question that it wasn't. Guess I learned something new.
HoboPelican
ocalhoun wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:

What was that all about?


Maybe a reference to Man of LaMancha Laughing
Zug Zug
English should be Americas language. End of story. "wam bam thank you officer"
Mithrandir
Yeah, for sure. When we travel to other people's countries we are expected to speak their language. Why should we not expect the same of people who come here?
nilsmo
In 50 years, California will be dominated by Hispanics, and only half of the US population will be white. The next biggest group will be Latinos.* But why is English better than Spanish? Why does it matter?

Source: The Economist magazine
lors
English should be the official language and I believe that people who want to become US citizens should be required to learn it before they take the test.
HoboPelican
nilsmo wrote:
In 50 years, California will be dominated by Hispanics, and only half of the US population will be white. The next biggest group will be Latinos.* But why is English better than Spanish? Why does it matter?

Source: The Economist magazine


Kidding, right? It's not a matter of which is the better language. If you don't have a primary language, what do you do? 2 or 3 language traffic signs? Newspapers and magazines in multiple languages? Menus? Classrooms taught in EVERY language to make sure each kid is taught in their own language? It seems pretty silly doesn't it?

An earlier post made a good point, many foreign countries think it rude to VISIT their country and not try to speak the local language. Here you have people coming here to live and be part of this country and they don't have the courtesy to learn the common tongue.



BTW - I imagine that stat you quoted was if nothing changed, right? Well see.
rfwrangler
I do think that English needs to be the official language of the United States. With us not having an official language every official document that is printed in the United States has to be offered in every language. This costs that United States a lot of money that could be better used in other programs. We are a country built on diversity of nationalities and this is a part of our strength. We need a national language in order to be able to communicate effectively with our populus.

The more languages that we have to be able to communicate in the more likey that communication will break down. This only leads to problems and causes more difficulties with the very people that we are trying to accomidate with not having an official language.
upliftphoto
who cares Rolling Eyes
Billy Hill
upliftphoto wrote:
who cares Rolling Eyes


I do. Wink
CWFwrestling
Language, borders, and culture. Our borders were comprimised years ago, our culture is slowly being disintegrated... why must we let out language go the same way?
jabapyth
ya. why does anyone care?
Bookface
This is totally a pre-emptive power grab by the status quo. Make English the official language now while immigration is still growing, and those Hispanics born here from immigrants will have to be Americanized enough to speak English well enough to be able to sell themselves as candidates, to vote, etc.

Not a bad strategy.

Not sure whether I approve (or disapprove), in any case.
Jeslyn
It doesn't matter if it's "official" or not. There will still be immigrants who refuse to learn the language, and everyone will be forced to learn their language to cater to them.

Hell, I used to live in frickin Maryland for the longest time, and had to learn a second language before I was allowed to be hired for a job because there were so many immigrants there, though the state is nowhere near any borders - (for the most part).
Soulfire
I don't care if we have an official language, I wouldn't mind it being English, because I strongly think that if people want to live in this country, they should at least have a very basic understanding of the English language.
Related topics
African -->AMERICANS<-- are rioting in France???
Do people sue too much?
Two-Thirds of young Americans are geographically inept
Violence targeting Muslims in the U.S
NOt only the USA people are Americans... that is a mistake.
Why do Americans not like soccer?
Anyone seen the ten things Americans want but can't have?
Are Americans stupid?
Americans Only: Will You Vote For Clinton Anyway?
How Many Americans Know Leona Lewis ?
What differences do Americans and Chinese life style have?
Patriot act sees Americans abused.
Congratulations President Obama
Americans want universal health care. Why can't we get it?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.