FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you think Legalizing Drugs will Cripple Crime?

Do you think Legalizing Drugs will Cripple Crime?
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
No
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Maybe
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 15

alkady
I was reading this article on Drug Legalization and Would it cripple organized crime.

My view is that if you legalize say marijuana, Organize Crime will just come up with something more harmful because if they lose the Weed & Coke Niche, Then how are they going to survive?

Plus Organize Crime is becomig more and more sophisticated with the money they've got, They can easily afford mobile labs with discharged scientist.

They also got their other niches such as Extortion, Protection, Prostitution even if its legit in many places like Germany, Assasinations and so on.

What do you think? What do you think is the solution to Crime?
Vrythramax
I don't think it would relly "cripple" orgaanized crime....for the simple reason even if legalized the drugs woudn't be free. So drug users would still be commiting crimes to get money to buy the legal drugs, and organized crime would find a way to produce the drugs cheaper than the legal agencies sold them for, or come up with a newer drug that is [possibly] more powerful...either way, crime would still be there.

Another point to consider is, that if certain drugs were legalized the government would still want to know who was using them, and regulate and/or keep track of those who bought the drugs...so that would open up a new avenue for organized crime by making the newly regulated drugs available to users who didn't want it made public that they were users in the first place.

Off-topic....love your avatar alkady Very Happy
HoboPelican
I doubt if they be crippled, but it would hurt. But they'd just shift their business to something else.

Vrythramax wrote:
....organized crime would find a way to produce the drugs cheaper than the legal agencies sold them for, or come up with a newer drug that is [possibly] more powerful...

Not sure if O.C. could compete with the economy of scale that would help keep costs low for legit sources. Also, dope is pretty darn easy to grow yourself if you don't have to worry about the Man.Laughing Laughing

Also, I won't pretend to know numbers, but I would think that most/alot of dope users don't really want anything stronger. Lots of people just want their Bud or doobie.

Gambling, prostitution, drugs....Make 'em legal and watch the crime rate drop!

Wink
Jaiye
seriously, there's certain shit that doesn't make a difference that the government shouldn't feel the need to regulate. Like what hobopelican said, if stuff was just legal there's be no drama about it.
JOE IV
If drugs were legal its less for people to get in trouble for. Most trouble is over drug dealing and possesion. I think the government makes money keepin drugs illegal. But if they sold marijuana in packs imagine how much money that would be. All stores would be running out before the day is over and all the money in the world would be going towards marijuana.
thegamecreator
i think drugs arnt legalized because they cant tax it
alkady
Vrythramax wrote:

Off-topic....love your avatar alkady Very Happy

Thanks, I got inspired by the "iPod therefore I am" magazine cover with Steve Jobs.
IceNinjaa
the way to end organized crime is get them boondock saints over here STAT
alkady
^ Or you can do-it-yourself. Its not hard and this little hobby is called vigilantism and it's illegal in every country, Laughing

It's a very tempting past time and guaranted to be like the movies.
goutha
It seems as if the cry of "legalize drugs!" is being heard everywhere from liberals as well as conservatives. Some people argue that legalizing drugs is the only way to "win" the drug war. I agree that drug enforcement does place a burden on us. Economic resources are used up that could be used elsewhere. But the consequences of legalizing drugs would make an already large problem completely out of control. If one examines the arguments behind drug legalization, it becomes apparent that legalizing drugs won't solve any of our Nation's drug problems.
HoboPelican
goutha wrote:
....If one examines the arguments behind drug legalization, it becomes apparent that legalizing drugs won't solve any of our Nation's drug problems.

Well, don't just post "it becomes apparent", show the arguments. Wink