FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

you like the graphic or the challenge of the game ?

nappa
Sadly many games this day not challenging anymore. The programmer just focus making the game to come out with cool graphic. Some old shool game still fun till this day because they are challenging. I really like rockman and mario. That's the games !
Joe944
Ninja Gaiden would like to have a word with you. Seriously, games these days are a lot more in depth and the difficulty is readily available if you look for it.

Have you tried playing games on their hard difficulty settings? Wink

Try playing God of War on god mode. Tell me that games these days aren't hard then.
djsamsung
Joe944 wrote:
Ninja Gaiden would like to have a word with you. Seriously, games these days are a lot more in depth and the difficulty is readily available if you look for it.

Try playing God of War on god mode. Tell me that games these days aren't hard then.

you've said it all.... Wink
DeathPact
being an old ultima online player i'm more into the gameplay than the graphics. That's why some friends of mine get weird when they see me play final fantasy 3 or similar rpgs on my pc with an emulator:P imo most new games do suck gameplay-wise, where's old school gone to
rightclickscott
Joe944 wrote:

Honestly, I never really agree with nubs because they piss me off, but I do agree with this nub. You obviously have some kind of mental problem, nappa, because you don't play fun games. I may admit that playing games in and out on every setting has made it so that games aren't that difficult anymore, but it doesn't change the fact that when I get godly at these games, they aren't fun to play anymore. You obviously don't understand that games are still fun, and even the most fun at times, when you become an absolute god, and that is why multiplayer is one of the greatest things ever invented, because you can use your godly skills against live, thinking people. It's great, and gaming is great, and you're a nub, nappa, for thinking it has become anything less than great.
Kelcey
nappa wrote:
Sadly many games this day not challenging anymore. The programmer just focus making the game to come out with cool graphic. Some old shool game still fun till this day because they are challenging. I really like rockman and mario. That's the games !

There are still some games that are challenging. People act like if a game has good graphics, then it doesn't have anything else. News flash, they have modelers (who aren't designers) and programmers (who aren't designers). Inside programmers, you have special programmers assigned to certain pieces of development. So seriously, stop acting like a team or 50 people is 1 person. Stop attacking graphics.

DeathPact wrote:
being an old ultima online player i'm more into the gameplay than the graphics. That's why some friends of mine get weird when they see me play final fantasy 3 or similar rpgs on my pc with an emulator:P imo most new games do suck gameplay-wise, where's old school gone to

Final Fantasy 3 (I hope you're talking about 6) was not anymore challenging than 50 percent of the rpgs of this generation. Same goes with Chrono Trigger. Finally, you can never claim that those games right now have better gameplay than something like Tales of Symphonia, Final Fantasy X, or Star Ocean 3. So what more do you want from rpgs? Chrono Trigger is my second favorite game of all time and I admit the current facts. RPGs aren't as good anymore because they've became stale and are all the same.
Saryon
Well, it should be a good mix between graphics and gameplay.
I have the feeling that developers nowadays tend to focus more on graphics, on the look of the game, rather than on the gameplay. Just a personal opinion, this is how I see it.
I'm not saying that all new games are bad at the gameplay, they just miss some stuff. a lot of games with awesome graphics, would just be way more interesting if the storyline would have been thought over better.
linkman2004
I've always enjoyed gameplay over graphics. That's not saying that I'd buy a game with really pathetic graphics, either. For me, it's really a mix of both. Take Final Fantasy VI, for instance. That game blended perfect RPG gameplay with beautiful graphics. Same goes for stuff like the Wind Waker, there they combined amazing graphics with awesome gameplay.

But that's not saying I hate retro games. Due to simplicity of gameplay back in the day, the graphics worked just fine. Heck, Mario 3 is one of my favorite platformers of all time and it doesn't look the greatest. But, as I said before, this is due to the simple nature of the gameplay that the graphics work.
Farhad
The challenge is the key. I still have Duke Nukem 3D installed just for the challenge of it. It's still a very hard game to play. The weapon and enemy mix is flawless, not to mention badass. I mean what other game had a kick as a weapon? What game has you enemys gurgle blood after a shot gun blast along with realistic enviroments (as realistic as build could make it). It was just such a blast to play!

I loved Sin:Episode 1 for the challenge as well. Am really good at FPSs and at first it seemed to easy then the game adopted and I battled for hours against those machine gun toting bastids! It was probably the most intense FPS actions I seen in a while.

For anyone who still have Duke Nukem 3D I reccomend checking out the high resoultion pack for it, it replaces the spirites and textures for 3d models and high res textures... here is the url... http://hrp.planetduke.gamespy.com/?page=screen
Nameless
I prefer a challenging game much more than a game with good graphics - after all, the graphics are just the interface TO the game, not the game itself. If I wanted to watch pretty graphics or an engaging story I'd go to the movies (getting a good seat on the first day of a movie's release is WAY more challenging than some games!). Roguelikes FTW!
Timothysm
I play MUDs sometimes, graphics doesn't necessarily make the game.
anthonygerbils
ok well we are all forgetting that in the days when graphics were sh** we all had fun playing games so at that time is wasnt the graphics which interested us but now with this new technoligy many people go for looks not game play and because of this and because they need to make money companies makes games for graphics now with a little bit of game play but some games are combined such as splinter cell and metal gear solid as these have both looks and gameplay.....
darth_revan
i still play fallout.

it has bad graphs, but it rules!

graphs wont make me happier!
amusic
However I prefer graphic than challenge of the game. Some game that bad in graphic will make me no mood in playing them although they are very challenging. However, a very good graphic game but not challenging game will not make me playing them as well. Confused
TonkPilz
well i rader play a game whit a good story line and crapy graphics than a game whit good graphics and a sucky story

but a game can have a good story but not the grapics and still suck coz i fell that good graphics will make a good story even better in most cases

and then we have games that are mostly based on graphics and littel to no story take Q3 arena or BF and bf2 like exampels thes games are/whar based on the graphics and littel to no story and usely just a them to cary it and i still love em
cghq
Somehow I do not understand what you are saying..... You could have the best graphics ever seen, and yet not many people would purchase the game if there was no challenge!
Hojo
When it comes to gaming i dont mind the graphics really as long as the game has a good storyline and is challenging. I still play games like final fantasy 6, final fantasy 7 (damn, that must have the best storyline EVER invented) and chrono trigger. last week i played some monkey island etc. theres still games nowadays with good graphics and a good storyline, but sometimes i just have the urge to play an older game.

i dont completely agree with rightclickscott though, because if i understood it right, nappa was talking about singleplayer mode, and you start talking about multiplayer mode. depending on who you play with, multiplayer gaming gets harder or easier (eg in cs a noob server and a pro server are completely different worlds skillwise)
darksroker
Nowadays, too many games are too "newbie-friendly". Now, in many console FPS, there's an aimbot, or a dynamic diffulty. The developpers prefer spend money in awesome graphics and neglect gameplay or/and challenge. Now, the games are way too linear, too basic.

However, I think that awesome graphics and great gameplay are not incompatible. Look at Far Cry : it really looked good, and the gameplay was great. I hope that it will be the same thing with Crysis. Many developpers may be inspired by Crytek.
exarkun
I like the challenge of the game. I don't really care about the graphic, as long as the game is fun on its own. Of course, if the graphic really really is very bad... i wouldn't go for it too Wink
bonestorm74
I guess there has to be a balance. I love graphics and it's probably the thing that gets me most excited about a game in the early stages.

After that it has to come down to gameplay, otherwise I won't be playing it for long. WoW is a good example, not really a great looking game but I played it for ages simply because I had fun with the gameplay.
izimngcubes15
If they're not so challenging maybe it's because you're too good? I think I would rather have the game's quality and the gaming experience rather than graphical experience. Everyone thinks graphics is everything when it's not.
Josso
I love graphics but they are only important to me on FPS where it's mostly just about feeling cool or whatever. More strategic games such as RPGs I like more for the gameplay instead, it won't matter to me much even if the graphics are slightly shoddy. Mind you from what I've seen recently computers have become fast enough to support both good graphics and intense puzzle solving into one game (I was waiting for this in technology) that means we can have very nice looking RPGs full of colourful worlds to explore.
mikajoh
I like the combination ^^ not necessary to top graphic if ¨the game is challenging
Scott
I much prefer the challenge and fun factor over the graphics. I still play a few text based games.

rayx
I prefer both features. I don't like to play games with cool graphics but bad gameplay. If both factor are on then i will say that it is a high quality games.
Jeff_vella_leone
ha this is lame, there are lot of games that are challanging
Try playing Far cry or Boiling point on hard settings and il bet my neck that u wont get passed the game Razz
Try playen halo on hard settings and that is a challinging game ul get to try it like 30 times each level minimum
Try playen Stronghold crusader on hard setting, u wot win 1 mission (on normal settings its allready hard)

There are games which are easy to play and finish but as we are humans and not everyone likes a challanging game, some ppl like to play games relax and won't try to nerd the game to win it.
There are some other ppl that try thier best to make it through the game with much percentage possible like me but still i hate playing on hard settings, because in repeating the same place because i die or something its not much fun for me so i play on normal settings and for me the game is still challanging enough because u dont know whats coming u still can die the first time.

Nowadays games are challanging and has cool grafics at least the games i played
which include:Far cry, Stronghold all, Doom 3 all, F.E.A.R., Shade, Halo, Oblivion, Riddick, Max payne1,2, Boiling point etc there are too many
rightclickscott
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:
Try playing Far cry or Boiling point on hard settings and il bet my neck that u wont get passed the game Razz
Try playen halo on hard settings and that is a challinging game ul get to try it like 30 times each level minimum
Try playen Stronghold crusader on hard setting, u wot win 1 mission (on normal settings its allready hard)

There are games which are easy to play and finish but as we are humans and not everyone likes a challanging game, some ppl like to play games relax and won't try to nerd the game to win it.
There are some other ppl that try thier best to make it through the game with much percentage possible like me but still i hate playing on hard settings, because in repeating the same place because i die or something its not much fun for me so i play on normal settings and for me the game is still challanging enough because u dont know whats coming u still can die the first time.

which include:Far cry, Stronghold all, Doom 3 all, F.E.A.R., Shade, Halo, Oblivion, Riddick, Max payne1,2, Boiling point etc there are too many

Dude, most of the games you've listed, I've beaten several times over on hard settings, especially Halo on Mythic. You're obviously not that good, however, I'll give it to you that I had quite abit of challenge with F.E.A.R. Still, it's either that I'm amazing awsome, or that you're just not that good. Plus, I think you're going to need to try some more genres if you want to call yourself a real gamer.
Jeff_vella_leone
rightclickscott wrote:
Jeff_vella_leone wrote:

Dude, most of the games you've listed, I've beaten several times over on hard settings, especially Halo on Mythic. You're obviously not that good, however, I'll give it to you that I had quite abit of challenge with F.E.A.R. Still, it's either that I'm amazing awsome, or that you're just not that good. Plus, I think you're going to need to try some more genres if you want to call yourself a real gamer.

hah lol halo is hard on mytic and u have to try it much times to manage to get out alive but its possible if u nerd the game, at least i managed to arrive much on mytic hardness b ut then i got borred of tryen it over and over again prefair going relax thats my fun Smile

if u really want hardness then try Far cry and if u beat it all (espacially the last part) on full difficulty il admit that im not a real gamer and that ur awsome man
try it and then talk to me later
(allthough i dont know how u will convince me that you managed to do it)
and btw far cry is one of the games that really has grafics so if u want to show that games with grafics aren't challanging u should try far cry and think again Razz
(F.E.A.R hah its the easyest game i played on hard settings once i managed to finish it on normal it was easy exept some hard parts that needed some real concetration to do them, when ul play Far Cry ul know what hardness is)
matttai
I dont like games for graphics, nor even the challenge factor! The things that pull me into a game is the depth and customisability.
eg. i still play Baldurs Gate 2 even though it is a very old game...but there is hundreds of items and so many combination RPG classes and parties and weapons i just like playing it over and over just to try out different things!
Not to mention there is 2 different endings, and the characters can have their own romances depending on what combination of characters you have in your party.
I guess i love replayability factor more Smile