FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Protecting folders

The Profile
Is it possible to apply a password (on windows XP) to a folder, which needs to be entered whenever you want to open that folder?

Thanks for your help
wumingsden
The Profile wrote:
Is it possible to apply a password (on windows XP) to a folder, which needs to be entered whenever you want to open that folder?

Thanks for your help

Not without installing software there isn't. You can make different users different profiles and then put secretive files in your admin folder and then put all shared documents in a shared folder (thats what I do). I also use WinRAR and this is a decompression as well as password protection program - so you can free it room on your PC whilst password protecting files.

I am however gathering that you would like something a bit like this: http://www.password-protect-software.com
LethcanAernis
The Profile wrote:

Thanks for your help

Well create an local ******, give the folder you want to have the password access only to the newly created account. USe a vbs script that use runas as the newly created user to open the folder and prompt the user for the password of the newly created account.

I'm sure I can give you a better solution if you tell me why and what you want to acomplish. Question
anathema
I Think that is a program called Folder Lock. You can lock any folder you lock or to drag & drop files to a password protected folder.
DimaSafr
I did not come across any goodones. The one I personally use is hide XP. it hides and locks your folders. The cool thing about it is that it preserves your folders even if the root folder is deleted. The down site is that you have to run it to unhide your folders.
surdy
I am not a regular XP user but i suppose XP allows you to password protect your folders if you have it instlled on NTFS partition.

Otherwise there are quite a few freewares available for the same.
lukeropro
surdy wrote:
I am not a regular XP user but i suppose XP allows you to password protect your folders if you have it instlled on NTFS partition.

Otherwise there are quite a few freewares available for the same.

No, XP does not allow password protecting of folders...
bnbrown
If you use XP Prof you can protect your folders from other users at your computer. Just make for yourself an Admin account with your password and the others can log onto their account only. At your account you can set the folder properties even who can access it - make it unaccesable for the others.

Otherwise there is great program for doing this and that is: http://www.chip.de/downloads/c1_downloads_ls_getfile_v1_15867347.html?t=1158421570&v=3600&s=949b200f8600f96947702b9ce36f6744 Laughing
jrs32
I'm not too sure on this one. I know the old folders in windows 98 you could edit the html and add a ajvascript code to require a password.

This might help a little.. I didn't go through much of it, but it might be of some use.

http://www.folder-password-expert.com/
mahaprakash
The Profile wrote:

Thanks for your help

its possible to apply a password to folders. but only u need a external software like folder lock XP. but remember ur passwords111
adnan
hey mate,

you can not directly apply password and can not make your folders password protected but there are some ways that you can make your folders almost unaccessible by someone else. The best way to hide a local folder and its contents is by editing certain Windows registry keys.
calvinchin
Try instant lock program !
Wink
tamilchild
Many more third pary software available for folder security
one of the best is Folder guard Laughing
exarkun
I think there is a feature at Windows XP Professional version that allows this.. Left-click on a folder and encrypt it with password.
imranulbari
In windows 98 and WINME u could try in DOS mode. Go to START - > RUN and type COMMAND press enter.
find the folder root.
go there and type MOVE FOLDER NAME FOLDER NAME and PRESS ALTER+254 then press enter.
Now the folder is locked.
To open that folder again go to command prompt.
go to the folder root.
Type MOVE FOLDER NAME ALT+254 FOLDER NAME press ENTER.
Now ur folder is open.
IF u don't have enough idea for windows and dos system then try for third party software. Thanks in advance.
martha04
I was too looking for a utility to password protect my folders and files, i tried several tools but there was no success. And honestly I'm too lazy to follow any manual process. The only tool that gave me positive results was lock a folder, but it is expired now Sad if anyone wants to try, here is the link to the site:
http://www.lockafolder.com

and can someone please suggest me the similar utility that works?
martha04
And ya sorry to bump up the old thread and plz suggest me some tool that works to protect my folders and files. Thanks!