FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I am broke

Zaini
Do anybody else feel that you are constantly broke ? No matter what you do, how much you earned, by middle of the month, you are struggling to make end meet.....
Zaini
In life, we're always dreaming that the future will be better. But how can the future be better when the present is dark and does not seen to have any changes in store for you.
rightclickscott
I'm always poor, because I have no money, because I have no job. But now I'm getting a job, and I will have a steady source of income, so I won't be poor. Everything just kind of fits together!
moejoe
You obviously don't track what you spend.

You should buy those pocket size money spender calculator. everytime you buy something, you punch it into the calculator, and at the end of the day/week you click calculate and it'll tell you how much you spent.

This works really well because week by week, you'll feel the erge to reduce the amount that you spent from the week before, it's basic human nature.

Another way, is to split your earnings. Tell your employer to take out 5%-15% of your weekly earnings into another savings account.
P.S Never look at the balance of this account...it will erge you to spend.
CyanEyed
im 14 so i dont spend a lot but when i do - i spend BIG - the last thing i bought with my savings was a PDA costing 270GBP
intekmdma
moejoe wrote:

You should buy those pocket size money spender calculator. everytime you buy something, you punch it into the calculator, and at the end of the day/week you click calculate and it'll tell you how much you spent.

This works really well because week by week, you'll feel the erge to reduce the amount that you spent from the week before, it's basic human nature.

Another way, is to split your earnings. Tell your employer to take out 5%-15% of your weekly earnings into another savings account.

This sounds like a great idea. The only problem I would have with this is... who carries a calculator and puts everything down? I know people balance their checks but, with cash as well? Maybe it's just the world I live in, but cash come and go. Thats why I try never to carry cash... or else it'll just get killed.
CyanEyed
intekmdma wrote:
moejoe wrote:

This sounds like a great idea. The only problem I would have with this is... who carries a calculator and puts everything down? I know people balance their checks but, with cash as well? Maybe it's just the world I live in, but cash come and go. Thats why I try never to carry cash... or else it'll just get killed.

lol
Joe944
It's far too easy to run out there every friday with my paycheck and throw my money at hookers and beer and video games but I usually try to restrain myself.
alkady
Life is something you can control, You just have to know how to make it join your side. If you want more money, Maybe its time you rethink your career choice or maybe you should start a small business to supplement your income.

I know alot of people who work part time or full time and at the same time run a web company. Take my Computer Teacher for example, He teaches computer and at the same time runs a multimedia company on the weekends and during the summer.

Maybe its time you do the same, Its very inexpensive and anyone can afford it in a sense. All you have to do is find something your good at and sell it online.

Like eBay, Alot of people have become wealthy off it and alot of people actually make a living off it. If you want to get into that, Just buy stuff wholesale and resell it.
Vrythramax
I'm never really broke, meaning totally out of money. Having a family to support I have to make sure there is always some money available for emergencies and such....especially with a young child in the house.

I do find it difficult to really "get ahead" off things for any length of time. It seems that whenever I can get some real money put away, something will happen that eats it up. The only real savings my wife and I have is our daughters trust fund, so it really doesn't belong to us....but it doesn't belong to her (our daughter) yet either. We budget in a certain amount every month that goes into the trust and it is never touched for any reason. The real sad part is that what may seem like a nice chunk of cash now, won't be worth the same in another 12 years when the trust becomes available to our little girl...but we try none the less.
Zaini
Does it bother you when you see someone have it easy in life ? Someone who is born with a gold spoon in his mouth. Why can't I be like that.. you always think.

But are they more happier than I am ? I think not. Even though I'm always broke, at least I'm enjoying life to the fullest...
alkady
Zaini wrote:
Does it bother you when you see someone have it easy in life ? Someone who is born with a gold spoon in his mouth. Why can't I be like that.. you always think.

But are they more happier than I am ? I think not. Even though I'm always broke, at least I'm enjoying life to the fullest...

Zaini, You must remember even if one person was born with a goldspoon in the mouth, The one feeding it the goldspoon had to work for it no? If you want that gold spoon you must do the same thing.
Duncan Idaho
alkady wrote:
Zaini wrote:

Zaini, You must remember even if one person was born with a goldspoon in the mouth, The one feeding it the goldspoon had to work for it no? If you want that gold spoon you must do the same thing.

Thats exellent advice. But look at Bill Gates, his family is gonna have the Golden Spoon for generations.
alkady
^ That is true, But unlike many spoiled brats, Bill Gates actually earned his way up there. He actually worked hard and used his brain to become rich, Plus unlike many he is actually a philantrophic person and as mentioned by someone else on another board, By the time he reaches an advance age, He would have given out a vast portion of his wealth to his charity.
Pablo Diablo
I am quite poor. I spent 4 years in college away from home, I paid for every single cent of my tuiton, books, food, rent, etc. Then I finally graduated with about four dollarsin the bank and have been looking for a job related to my field for seven months. I still haven't found anything, and the job I currently have now pays me so low, according to the canadian cencus report, I am BELOW the poverty line.

It's tough to live like this when I can't go out with friends because I need the money somewhere else. And I haven't bought new clothes in about 2 years, that's also pretty bad.

Hopefully, if I finally get a job related to what I did in college, I'l be making 4 times as much.
Kaisonic
I've actually never had an income because I haven't gotten a job yet, but my family was lucky enough to be....well, not rich, persay, just...enough money that no one has to work for now. But I'm getting a job soon.
Mental2k
Not using cash is a really good way to get rid of money really quickly, cause you jave absolutely no qualms about handin over a card.

I'm rarely completely broke, like goin to an ATM and bein told insufficient funds broke, i am studyin at uni, and have a part time job, but i like buyin my shit too.

Personally I reakon if i were born with a silver spoon in my mouth (do try and get the sayings right chaps) I wouldnt be a spoilt brat, but then again i think thats because of the upbringing i've had, to be responsible with money, and also if somethin needs doin and I can do it myself then i do it myself, so i may not have gotten that with rich parents.

Hmm, wouldnt mind winnin the lottery all the same, I'd have some fun, all the things I could invent with bottomless funds (assuming i win the euromillions on a quadruple rollover week).

In summation, i think friend you need to save more:wink:
wumingsden
Its quite ironic that I've noticed this thread today. The last 3 days I have spent nearly a fortune out shopping. I'm bought clothes, funiture, electronics, plus the kitchen sink Very Happy
I do not work as I have just finished school a couple of days ago (I am 16 years old) but I do have a regular income and save up to have big spends monthly. I am fortunate to not have any real responsibilities - I still live at home so don't have to pay rent, water, gas. electricity, etc. All in all I'd say I'm quite good with money, I don't waste it. I save it and then buy things to make my life more comfortabler (is that a word ?)
Anyways, now that I've had the shopping frenzy I don't need to go on another for at least a month Very Happy
aakwa
Honestly go out and call a marketing company and try to pickup a job doing marketing it's a sweet gig i cant even explain basically you hand out stuff for a couple hours and you get paid a lot of money depending on the job. I love doing it because most of the time you manage yourself meaning that it is easy to get your work done fast!
Jaiye
I make enough to live comfortably. eat out maybe a few times a week, maybe treat friends once a month. I'm never really short on cash, but I don't have any savings either. And yeah, rent+utilities are a bitch, but it's soo worth it to be out on my own.
mavahntooth
you cant have everything with money. you can have fake friends because of money. money is the root of evil.
uslhoops
Yeah! alkady is right! have a good job and get and find another source of income and save your money wisely you must start saving money for your own self. So when time comes that you'll need something to pay some bills or anything you'll have it. And remember there are a lot of ways to be rich if your only a hard working person! I think thats the Key!
hive
I am a broken guy. I live with some friends and we share all the house bills. This way we can have ADSL and cable TV and the fridge always filled..lol
But live with a bad salary is very hard. If I don't track my money cent by cent I aways get broke. But I have high hopes about my earnings this years...
To be broke is a nice way to learn how to live without hypocrisies. You know what you want and what you have very well...lol
alkady
Jaiye wrote:
I make enough to live comfortably. eat out maybe a few times a week, maybe treat friends once a month. I'm never really short on cash, but I don't have any savings either. And yeah, rent+utilities are a bitch, but it's soo worth it to be out on my own.

No savings!!!!! Thats not good. Did you know that those who start planning for retirement at a early age have a better chance of a comfortable retirement?

Because in Canada and probably sure in many other places, You can only contribute a certain amount of your yearly income to your pension. And if you do so early, You gain more interest for your bucks.

If your lookin forward to Retirement at 60, Nows the time because most people who retire at 65 or 70 have a reason to do so and I'm sure you know what.
sibbahz
I always feel like im broke.
I earn around £270 a month, but at the moment have been spending £44 a week on driving lessons, £100 a month on car insurance, £50ish going out to pubs/clubs and £30 buying stuff.
This month also had to pay car tax, £110.
Tomorrow, driving test, came to a total of £95ish

Just adding up what i spent this month, £495. Ouch, like double what i earnt.
Zaini
Yeah... everything is going up like a rocket. Cost of living is increasing like 30% yearly but our salary is increasing like 5% yearly if you are lucky. Add to that with an addition of new family member, your son strating schooling, your car is getting old..bla bla bla....

Unless you are well paid or born rich, it is hard to save any money by end of the month. If you are an ordinary working Joe like me, it is tough...
Sabrina
I'm not always broke, I'm pretty good at surviving on my budget. But recently, I moved to a more expensive place and it's really killing my savings. Sad So next week, I'm moving to another place (again) and I hope I'll not only be able to save a lot more, but I'll also get to spend a lot more, heheh... Very Happy Laughing Cool
IceNinjaa
im never really broke, but i have the tendency to spend money when i dont really need to. i try and restrain myself, but technology is my weak point. i see like some really cool piece of tech or video game or music oriented item and i need to have it. i try and hold back most of the time but there are the times that i just cant resist. i've been doing better lately b/c of my new laptop (grad present). however i will need to spend 100 bux soon for laptop bag and mouse. o well Rolling Eyes
alkady
^ Lucky you, You already got your laptop. *Sigh, I'm still atleast a year away from mines.
ocalhoun
*donates a little frih$*
There, now you're not broke.
Slammer
i know the feeling, ive left school at the start of the month and im going to university in september. Looking for a part-time job, not heard back from anyone yet, moneys running out, so better hurry up and get a reply lol
andy26
[EDIT: The Philosopher Princess noticed your plea for edits/deletes. So, I have merged your 4 posts into 1. Smile]
________

iv always saved my pocket money but now im at college i have to pay rent and internet fees i get £30 a week but iv got more outcome than i have income just thought i would put this to join in on the descusion.
________

lol init
________

im thinking of buying a server and making a internet company does anyone think this is a good idea i was thinking about web design as i am very good with design and stuff.

does anone have any tips on how to go about starting a internet company
such as legal stuff and what server to buy and what software.

so please someone reply
________

sorry i didnt realise you can edit sorry for making 4 posts
how do i delete these??
sharp
To any person, they are poor... is there ever ENOUGH money?

NO

I get paid...weekly, daily and all else in between... so seeing money everyday does help alot, seems I am never broke! for those who get paid biweekly ect... put money aside in diff envelopes, one packet per day... watch what you spend... write everything down, what you spend and what your bills are ect...

but as long as your happy... food on the table and a roof over your head... is that really concidered poor? I wouldnt think so!

if so then get another job or start your OWN biz...
alkady
@Andy26

This is the first time I seem four post in a row by one person, Anyhow it's off topic but in your situation it doesnt seem wise to buy a web server plus you seem inexperienced with web servers so it's not a good idea.

Anyhow, Your computer will make a perfect web server all you need is a domain name, programs to manage your web space such as DirectAdmin, cPanel ect. If you want to get more sophisticated youll need more software.

If you want to build your own all youll need is memory, a motherboard, a cpu, a CD or DVD drive, A Hard Drive and thats probably all you need to buy. But to get it started youll need a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse obviously.

But I recommend that you just get web hosting for a fee, It's way cheaper but at what youll pay overtime you could buy yourself a web server.
Vrythramax
@Andy26

I'd suggest reselling for a larger company and learning the way of the business and building a client database before investing the time, and considerable money involved in a startup venture like webhosting....let's not forget about the huge expenses of adverising, and bandwidth (you can't host on a a dialup or even a DSL line...you'd need commercial bandwidth)....you have alot of competition out there, if you want to be a success you have to be better then them in some way...or you'll lose your customers very fast.
andy26
how do you make the donate thing
raaeft1
I have most of the time been ``financially broke'' whether it be childhood,adult life and so on.During my childhood, I used to stay with my maternal grandparents. They had a very small pension and things were ``tight'' as they had a large family but still they managed and my essential needs in school were fulfilled.However,I understood realities and never made any excessive demands. Then I moved over to my parents who were relatively well-off. But my father was very stingy and my mother, sister and I had to sometimes ``borrow'' money to meet our basic requirements. When I got a job as a cub reporter in 1982, I indulged myself with the money I got and soon developed the habit of overspending whenever I was tense or had relationship difficulties with my father.
This pattern can even be seen now in my married life. I tend to overspend or buy things impulsively even when I don't have cash thanks to the credit card. This happens especially when my wife quarrels with me. I landed in big credit card trouble several years ago when I exceeded the credit limits on all my six or seven credit cards and my father-in-law bailed me out by lending me a huge amount.Now I have only two cards and these too are over the credit limit. I am hardly able to make the minimum payment due.I have other debts too.
I sometimes am inspired to control my expenses and save money and I start logging in the daily expenses in the Money or Quicken software but soon give it up when I am deluged with emergency expenses and I am unable to pay those bills with my limited resources (a salary). My wife does not work currently.
So there is a big mismatch every month and my salary is exhausted in the first 10 days of the month with several bills still remaining to be paid. I don't get regular income from my Reiki practice, which I do in my spare time. I recently became a member of DXN and tried my hand at selling Ganoderma coffee and enrolling members under me but the venture has not been successful as it requires substantial investment initially.
The way out for me is to enhance my income;send office bills to office for payment/reimbursement( I am having office -cum-residence); pare down expenses especially on eating out an note down all expenses in the software.
evilryu530
i know how you feel, i use to be a really poor college kid, barely making any money because i was doing school full time. i worked but it all went to the bills, 95% of my money, the other 5% was junk food money, now that im making pretty good money, it seems like my bills/income ratio is just the same as when i was in college, granted i have a better car now, and a house, i still feel like im running the maze of financial unfreedom. the best thing to do is to have multiple streams of income, easier said than done. save as much as you can and hope for a break.
seanooi
I'm always broke too. No matter how big the notes in my wallet are, once I break them, they're bound to be gone.
Jaiye
haha, shit guys, my last post was wrong. after reviewing my bank account, yes I am broke. damn food costs a lot.
710ths
Yep know exactly how you feel. Doesnt seem to matter what you do still dont have enough money after paying the bill to actually enjoy life. Just seems that I'm working to pay the bills.

Things have turned for the worst for me personally recently. My employer hasnt been able to pay my salary for three months. So not even the bills have been paid. Anyway in another job now so hoping for better luck.
izimngcubes15
I am, I'm broke too. I do not have any money left, I spent too much on stuff that I don't need, I'm working to save up my money and use it for a good use.
Zug Zug
That used to happen to me all the time....before I learned to budget my money.

Here's what I do for a whole month:

Rent- 125.00

Utilities- 100.00

Propane- 40.00

Phone/dsl-35.00

Gas- 120.00

Food 210.00

Gaming: 15.00

THEN I round up to the nearest 0, in this case would be 650.00, add ten dollars for bs, that would make it 660.00. I make 730.00 in one month, I minus 660.00 from 730.00 which is 70 dollars. I put that extra money in the bank for safe keeping, I call it my OH S#$T! FUnd lol
Vrythramax
I make a little over 65k a year (salary), and I still need to seek out free hosting. It seems nowadays that the more you earn, the more you spend accordingly. I have a wife and 1 small child, and I can't seem to get ahead to save my life. We don't go hungry, and I am not complaining by any stretch of the imagination....I just wish there was some way to save a little.
Zaini
4 days after salary.. money fast flying away. Paying monthly expenses is enough to flatten the pocket. Calculate this (US1 = RM 3.7)

Plus Salary = RM 3,600
Minus Employee fund & tax = RM 400 (Government)
Minus House rental = RM 500
Minus Car payment = RM 420
Minus Child nursery = RM 300
Minus Child expenses = RM 300
Minus House expenses = RM 300
Minus Furniture loan = RM 100
Minus Car Maintenance/Petrol/Parking = RM 400
Minus Study loan = RM 400
Minus Electricy/Water = RM 150
Minus Cable TV = RM 100
Minus Phone/Internet bill = RM 200
Minus Miscellaneous expenses = RM 300

Balance = Minus RM 270
andy26
darn as soon as u finnish school life goes down from then and doesnt get any better does it. we all need to win the lottery dont we. man tht would be cool
bluedragon
I am broke because I have too little income, too many bills and too many guilty pleasures. I got myself into a financial rut, and now my question is how I am going to get myself out.

That I am getting promoted in a few weeks is good news, though! Pay raise!
alkady
@raaeft1

Damm, I dont know where you got the idea to get so many credit cards, 2 is more than enough for anyone in my opinion.
OutlawSpirit
i am broke... dont have money... no job - 2 hard to get one, ive applied to loads of places, had one interview they said they'd call me but never did

i find i get no contact back

so now im just on a hustle, makin money on what i can and where... see what i can do... but i got bills 2 pay so this is a bitch 2 me

Cool
Zaini
I just finished paying up my personal loan with no more money to spend. I'm stuck with a decision to make...

Do I take another loan to cover my expenses or should I sacrifice my stomach and just eat a biscuit for the whole month ?

If I take another loan, I need to suffer a little bit for 4 months (it's a short term loan) with just enough for all expenses. But if I suffer now, I'll have some extra cash for month to come.

Decision... decision
NeoRayden
raaeft1 wrote:
I have most of the time been ``financially broke'' whether it be childhood,adult life and so on.During my childhood, I used to stay with my maternal grandparents. They had a very small pension and things were ``tight'' as they had a large family but still they managed and my essential needs in school were fulfilled.However,I understood realities and never made any excessive demands. Then I moved over to my parents who were relatively well-off. But my father was very stingy and my mother, sister and I had to sometimes ``borrow'' money to meet our basic requirements. When I got a job as a cub reporter in 1982, I indulged myself with the money I got and soon developed the habit of overspending whenever I was tense or had relationship difficulties with my father.
This pattern can even be seen now in my married life. I tend to overspend or buy things impulsively even when I don't have cash thanks to the credit card. This happens especially when my wife quarrels with me. I landed in big credit card trouble several years ago when I exceeded the credit limits on all my six or seven credit cards and my father-in-law bailed me out by lending me a huge amount.Now I have only two cards and these too are over the credit limit. I am hardly able to make the minimum payment due.I have other debts too.
I sometimes am inspired to control my expenses and save money and I start logging in the daily expenses in the Money or Quicken software but soon give it up when I am deluged with emergency expenses and I am unable to pay those bills with my limited resources (a salary). My wife does not work currently.
So there is a big mismatch every month and my salary is exhausted in the first 10 days of the month with several bills still remaining to be paid. I don't get regular income from my Reiki practice, which I do in my spare time. I recently became a member of DXN and tried my hand at selling Ganoderma coffee and enrolling members under me but the venture has not been successful as it requires substantial investment initially.
The way out for me is to enhance my income;send office bills to office for payment/reimbursement( I am having office -cum-residence); pare down expenses especially on eating out an note down all expenses in the software.

Oh Im Broke too.........
swsource
Zaini wrote:
Do anybody else feel that you are constantly broke ? No matter what you do, how much you earned, by middle of the month, you are struggling to make end meet.....

Stop buying things you don't need. Like for example, your on a computer right now. D oyou really need it? Probably not. Is it fun? Sure.

Your home is fulled with things you do not "need" but are just expected of you to have. Ditch what you don't need. If people werent so sucked into consumer culture that they bought until they were in debt then big companies would actually have to charge fair prices for things rather than turning massive profits on absulutely everything they sell.
ItsWesley
Thankfully, I still live with my parents, so I don't have to pay things like rent and food, but I really need to find a part time job before I go to college later this year, because then I will be able to actually buy stuff...
andy26
whats the fri host lotto
The Philosopher Princess
I have a very serious suggestion for anyone who is serious about getting in control of their finances: listen to the DaveRamsey.com over-the-internet radio show. (Actually, it’s on the real radio too, but over the internet, you have control of when it’s convenient for you to listen, plus you can fast forward through anything you don’t want to hear.)

I’ve found his shows to be very entertaining. People call in with their financial questions and he helps. He’s extremely principled, and the right-wing Christians will love his religious philosophy (you should tithe) and political philosophy (pro-Bush; anti-welfare) too. (He’ll also say funny political things like calling the IRS the KGB.) But you can easily ignore the religious and political stuff if you want. Don’t let those things get in the way of the very important stuff: your money!

The main thing is personal finances (budgeting, getting out of debt, learning how to get in control in a practical way), etc. I’ve never known of someone with a better financial philosophy who also knows how to explain it to regular people. Ramsey can be really hilarious too, saying things like the following, which I’m not putting in quote tags because it’s my paraphrase from my notes.
~~~~~~~~~~
Caller: “Should I leverage my cash in a CD and get a 0% interest rate on a new car?”

Ramsey: “How much leverage are you gonna get with a 1.76 interest rate? Ooo ooo you're killin’ me! NO! You’re paying MORE for the car!”
~~~~~~~~~~
By the way, I haven’t verified this, but Ramsey also says most people who win the lottery go broke later.

It makes sense to me because being broke is related to one’s approach to dealing with money. There’s no logical reason to think that someone who wins the lottery would have a particularly good approach (and there are reasons to believe they would not).
~~~~~~~~~~
My estimate is that no matter how broke you are now, 99% of you can become permanently not-broke if you care. The if you care part is the main criterion. If you are going to wait till you get an inheritance or win the lottery, you obviously don’t care. Getting in control, learning to be responsible takes real work. But only smart work, not using any scammy get-rich-quick schemes.

Someone who doesn’t really care is likely going to stay broke the rest of their lives. There are plenty of people with low-paying jobs who are not broke. There are plenty of people who make 6-figure incomes who are broke (because they have more debt than assets; when some investment plummets, the whole house of cards can come tumbling down).

Give Dave Ramsey’s method a try. (He also has books out too but I’ve never read one, nor even seen one.)

If any of you are broke in 5 years from now, don’t blame me. Very Happy

By the way, I have no conflict of interest in my recommendation. I only know of Ramsey from listening to the radio. I get nothing (except self-respect) from passing you to him.

I am a lover of comprehensive, reality-based, fully-principled philosophies of all kinds. And I find his to be very close to that.
~~~~~~~~~~
If anyone wants to ask me any extremely sincere, very thoughtful questions on this stuff, I will try to answer. But I will never be as good as Ramsey at explaining since that’s his creation, and my creations are in other areas.
photon
hmm i think this feeling of being constantly broke comes only after we start fending for ourselves. right now, im in college and still live with my parents. so far, they have been kind enough to get everything ive asked for (including my taste for fancy electronics/computer stuff). i know it has to end somewhere, so im thinking of getting a part time job.

once we really start working and spending out of our pockets for the basic amenities (food, rent, gas, electricity) then this feeling of being broke may just be our best friend Razz
Zaini
Yes, when I'm still living with my parent, everything was simple and totally no headache. Now I know how hard it must be for my parent to provide for me and brothers & sisters. God bless them.

It use to be so easy. We tend to take thing for granted. Spend spend and spend. What to worry, just ask and the parent will happily provide it. I'm regret on how I treat my parent previously. Asking money without thinking of the hardship they encounter. What a brat I am.

Now, after fending for myself and need to provide for my own family, I know how hard it is for my parent....
kung_fu_stu
I've decided that I am not poor, I just have no money. I say this because everything I own is pretty nice (which is why I'm broke). So I can't be poor, I just never have any money. Broke maybe; poor no.
n0isehazard
Well, I'm only 16 (still qualifying as a "kid"), but I always feel like I'm broke too. My family to begin with isn't all that wealthy, and I don't exactly have a proper "job". I only earn extra money when I can by drawing/illustrating pictures for people.

Okay... that sounded like a poor starving artist story, but it's true. XD;

The bottom line is that I think we all feel a little broke sometimes. I even hear more "well-off" kids complaining about how their parents won't buy them another game system or something crazy like that.

I know how you feel though~ Sad
Zaini
Is it wrong for us to get a loan to cover our expenses and we know that by doing that it will put us in a tight spot. But sometime, there is no other better choices. And to make end meet, a loan must be secure, but by getting the loan, our monthly expenses will increase and may make things worst.

What a predicament
vicarious
I think that most people see being broke is not having cash in your pocket, and that can be very decieving. The funny thing about living in America is that some of the "brokest" people are in fact richer than some of the "biggest" companies. Debt is no longer seen as an evil to the common man, but as a hedge fund for the poor and the investment houses. pay off our debts and steal not, and you are better off than ENRON.

The problem is not so much that the average man can easily find himself with no cash in his pocket, but that corporations and debt freak individuals have taken all of the money out of the economy that could be going toward an honest days wages, and thus better the economy, a good good circle, where value and labor are equity and not just worker bees for the economic factor fudgers.

If you have a credit card, you are always broke, or you wouldn't need it, and once you use it, you are not only broke, you are in debt, and you will always have less cash in the future due to this financial tools use.

Cut costs, and start saving, or better yet investing, not in a corpoarate stock, but yourself. Buy an icecream cone or a house, but do not go in debt to get it. Rent and save if you have to, and keep buying icecream cones.

If you buy a house, and die tomorrow, your children may have to fight a mortage company for you life insurance (that dirt on your head costs you know).

If you take on no debt, and die today, with 10 dollars in your pocket, you will be "worth" more, both in a financial sense and a moral one.

Live simple, know your wants from your needs, do not rack up traffic tickets

Evil or Very Mad (I am bad about that one), and invest in you. Let ACME (for generic purposes) bank , ENRON and those morally and finacially broke ass bastards know that we don't need thier ilk to make our lives better, and that our kids don't either.

Don't buy a broke ass, say no to debt.

The fastest way to get to the top 10% "wealthiest" in America.

If you don't have cash be creative, but do no wrong.

and for those that don't already know, the lotto is not a good idea either. lol
alkady
vicarious wrote:

If you buy a house, and die tomorrow, your children may have to fight a mortage company for you life insurance (that dirt on your head costs you know).

Now, Now...If your childrens have to fight for the insurance for money that isnt rightfully their, Who is the real crook?
izcool
Well, it's not really surprising that I'm seeing this thread on FriHost now, since last night I was watching 20/20 and Oprah on TV and they had these huge discussion topics on money. On the Oprah show I was watching, this one woman who became a widow because of September 11th, 2001 (lost her husband) had enherited $5 million dollars from the federal government and through donations, and SPENT IT ALL. She didn't even really listen to what Oprah was saying and she was literally spending money left and right on stupid handbags, purses, plasma TV's, and things that I don't think any women would need more than 5 of. Her life was a wreck and a psychologist had to take on the situation on the show and had to get her life back into line since she enherited so much money. More information on this woman can be found here - http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=843920&page=1

Well, I was told that when you win the lottery, you don't get it in one "big lump sum" (augh I hate that commercial on TV, where that phrase comes from), you get paid the money in small incriments. I don't think the lottery is worth playing since the odds of you losing are greater than winning. Just think about that.

Honestly, I think that I'm a bit broke right now myself. I have a little over $100.00, and to me, I think that around $200.00 or higher I'm actually "in the green" instead of being "in the red" with money. I don't have a credit card yet (I want to get one soon to establish some line of credit on my name, and not to abuse it) but I do agree that 2 is all you really need. You need one for all of your charges, and the 2nd for possibly as a backup card (I get it all the time where I swipe cards on the credit card machine where I work and it reads that someone's card's been declined) or for possibly as a business credit card for your company charges. I like having cash on me since if I need to get something right then and there, I just whip it out and pay for it without worrying about if my credit is going to be OK from it, and having to pay it off later on. Like last week, I bought myself a PlayStation 2 with around 3 games for $130.00. I was a bit shaky on that since I never had anything newer than a PlayStation 1 for video gaming and it turned out to be a good move. I'm glad that I put the money into that.

Just so everyone knows, I'm lost without Quicken Basic 2003. I don't know what I'd do without it. What I do is if I go into stores and buy something, I just stuff the receipt into my wallet and enter it into the computer when I get home. Even for the smallest things, like buying a candy bar or a soda, I still log it. I have a blank sheet of paper in my wallet generally and have a pen in the car, and write it down there. It may sound a little strange but it helps out a lot.

That's my financial insight for this topic.

- Mike.
alkady
@Izcool

Actually it isn't strange at all, Maybe for a person it seems strange, But a in Business it isnt. (Tax Reasons really), Ever since I launched my Business, I have to keep track of all my transactions because everything in business in a sense is tax deductible (and Tax Free... Laughing ) Something really new to me because I never really bothered with this.

Now, I think I must have spent over $200 somewhat dollars and my folder is piling up with receipts at a fast rate and it's going to collect dust in my drawers for years to come.
Zaini
Do you think how much I would make if everyone in the world donate a dollar to me ? I think it will solve a lot of my debt and make a lot of my dream and plan into motion.

But that's only IF......

To achieve somthing in life, we need to work hard and find our own way to earn it... Life is not that simple as anyone in the world will donate even a cent to you....

We must be dependant on ourself. No one is going to help us when we are in a deep shit. Life is cruel
Zaini
A friend of mine just inherit $42,000 from his late father. He's younger than me, no big commitment, bigger car than me. And it make my heart skip when I heard he 's getting an easy money that he does not really need.

Where's mine.....? When I need it more than him.... Life is never been fair..to anyone.... I know that... but still, why...????

Is it God is testing me ? For what ? Better return later ? When ? When I die ? Then I don't need anything........

I am broke...
dude_xyx
yeah also we try to hard to earn something legally , having hard times , while some just earn ina day wut we earn in a month by illegal ways and live happily. soo unfairrr
caroline
considering the fact that im a student, no i dont feel constantly broke.
i have a bit of money saved up just in case, and i don't need to spend it.
smokey4life
I used to fall behind like that as well, but all you have to do is hustle on the side make some spare cash second job maybe Smile i don't know i have found plenty of legit ways to make extra money on the side.
Zaini
Today I've spent nearly Thousand ringgit (350 dollar) repairing and servicing my car. I had no choice. Without a car, it will be hard and more expensive for me to travel to work. Lucky I got petrol card and parking cover by my company.

Travelling expenses can eat up the budget if we are not careful. It is difficult to control if our jobs require us to travel. And using public transportation sometime will be more expensive than using own car or motorbike.
evilryu530
well just try to work more? get a second job? save? do anything you can do man, cut back on whatever, eatting etc... save some money
Zaini
I just came back from business trip. Drive to there. 400 km one way. Alone driving, but it is cheaper than flying.

Went to Johor Bharu (near Singapore) last Friday and just arrive back to Kuala Lumpur at 9.00 pm, Sunday.

Tomorrow working as usual. Better work outstation than stay at the office. At least, outstation, all expenses cover by the company. I can save a lot.
smokey4life
Quote:
Airline Fares

1. Compare low-cost carriers with major carriers that fly to your destination. Remember, the best fares may not be out of the airport closest to you.

2. You may save by including a Saturday evening stay-over or by purchasing the ticket at least 14 days in advance. Ask which days of the week and times of the day have the lowest fare.

3. Even if you are using a travel agent, check airline and Internet travel sites, and look for special deals. If you call, always ask for the lowest fare to your destination.

Car Rental

4. Since car rental rates can vary greatly, compare total price (including taxes and surcharge) and take advantage of any special offers and membership discounts.

5. Rental car companies offer various insurance and waiver options. Check with your automobile insurance agent and credit card company in advance to avoid duplicating any coverage you may already have.

New Cars

6. You can save thousands of dollars over the lifetime of a car by selecting a model that combines a low purchase price with low depreciation, financing, insurance, gasoline, maintenance, and repair costs. Ask your local librarian for new car guides that contain this information.

7. Having selected a model and options you are interested in, you can save hundreds of dollars by comparison shopping. Get price quotes from several dealers (over the phone or Internet) and let each know you are contacting the others.

8. Remember there is no "cooling off" period on new car sales. Once you have signed a contract, you are obligated to buy the car.

Used Cars

9. Before buying any used car:

* Compare the seller's asking price with the average retail price in a "bluebook” or other guide to car prices which can be found at many libraries, banks, and credit unions.
* Have a mechanic you trust check the car, especially if the car is sold "as is."

10. Consider purchasing a used car from an individual you know and trust. They are more likely than other sellers to charge a lower price and point out any problems with the car.

Auto Leasing

11. Don't decide to lease a car just because the payments are lower than on a traditional auto loan. The leasing payments are lower because you don't actually own the car.

12. Leasing a car is very complicated. When shopping, consider the price of the car (known as the capitalized cost), your trade-in allowance, any down payment, monthly payments, various fees (excess mileage, excess "wear and tear," end-of- lease), and the cost of buying the car at the end of the lease. A valuable source of information about auto leasing can be found in Keys to Vehicle Leasing: A Consumer Guide, which is published by the Federal Reserve Board and Federal Trade Commission.

Gasoline

13. You can save hundreds of dollars a year by comparing prices at different stations, pumping gas yourself, and using the lowest-octane called for in your owner's manual.

14. You can save up to $100 a year on gas by keeping your engine tuned and your tires inflated to their proper pressure.

Car Repairs

15. Consumers lose billions of dollars each year on unneeded or poorly done car repairs. The most important step that you can take to save money on these repairs is to find a skilled, honest mechanic. Before you need repairs, look for a mechanic who:

* is certified and well established;
* has done good work for someone you know; and
* communicates well about repair options and costs.

Insurance

Auto Insurance

16. You can save several hundred dollars a year by purchasing auto insurance from a licensed, low-price insurer. Call your state insurance department for a publication showing typical prices charged by different companies. Then call at least four of the lowest-priced, licensed insurers to learn what they would charge you for the same coverage.

17. Talk to your agent or insurer about raising your deductibles on collision and comprehensive coverage to at least $500 or, if you have an old car, dropping this coverage altogether. This can save you hundreds of dollars on insurance premiums.

18. Make certain that your new policy is in effect before dropping your old one.

Homeowner/Renter Insurance

19. You can save several hundred dollars a year on homeowner insurance and up to $50 a year on renter insurance by purchasing insurance from a low-price, licensed insurer. Ask your state insurance department for a publication showing typical prices charged by different licensed companies. Then call at least four of the lowest priced insurers to learn what they would charge you. If such a publication is not available, it is even more important to call at least four insurers for price quotes.

20. Make certain you purchase enough coverage to replace the house and its contents. "Replacement" on the house means rebuilding to its current condition.

21. Make certain your new policy is in effect before dropping your old one.

Life Insurance

22. If you want insurance protection only, and not a savings and investment product, buy a term life insurance policy.

23. If you want to buy a whole life, universal life, or other cash value policy, plan to hold it for at least 15 years. Canceling these policies after only a few years can more than double your life insurance costs.

24. Check the National Association of Insurance Commissioners website (www.naic.org/cis) or your local library for information on the financial soundness of insurance companies.

Banking/Credit

Checking Accounts and Debit Cards

25. You can save more than $100 a year in fees by selecting a free checking account or one with no minimum balance requirement. Request a complete list of fees that are charged on these accounts, including ATM and debit card fees.

26. See if you can get free or lower cost checking through direct deposit or agreeing to ATM only use. Be aware of charges for using an ATM not associated with your financial institution.

Savings Products

27. Before opening a savings account, find out whether the account is insured by the federal government (FDIC for banks or NCUA for credit unions). Financial institutions offer a number of products, such as mutual funds and annuities, which are not insured.

28. Once you select a type of savings account, use the telephone, newspaper, and Internet to compare rates and fees offered by different financial institutions-including those outside your city. These rates can vary a lot and, over time, can significantly affect interest earnings.

29. To earn the highest return on savings (annual percentage yield) with little or no risk, consider certificates of deposit (CDs) or U.S. Savings Bonds (Series I or EE).

Credit Cards

30. To avoid late payment fees and possible interest rate increases on your credit cards, make sure you send in your payment a week to ten days before the statement due date. Late payments on one card can increase fees and interest rates on other cards.

31. You can avoid interest charges, which may be considerable, by paying off your entire bill each month. If you are unable to pay off a large balance, pay as much as you can. Try to shift the remaining balance to a credit card with a lower annual percentage rate (APR). You can find listings of credit card plans, rates, and terms on the Internet, in personal finance magazines, and in newspapers.

32. Be aware that credit cards with rebates, cash back, travel awards, or other perks may carry higher rates or fees.

Auto Loans

33. To save as much as several thousand dollars in finance charges, pay for the car in cash or make a large down payment. Always get the shortest term loan possible as this will lower your interest rate.

34. Make certain to get a rate quote (or pre-approved loan) from your bank or credit union before seeking dealer financing. You can save as much as $1000 in finance charges by shopping for the cheapest loan.

35. Make certain to consider the dollar difference between low-rate financing and a lower sale price. Remember that getting zero or low-rate financing from a dealer may prevent you from getting the rebate.

First Mortgage Loans

36. Although your monthly payment may be higher, you can save tens of thousands of dollars in interest charges by shopping for the shortest-term mortgage you can afford. For each $100,000 you borrow at a 7% annual percentage rate (APR), for example, you will pay over $75,000 less in interest on a 15-year fixed rate mortgage than you would on a 30-year fixed rate mortgage.

37. You can save thousands of dollars in interest charges by shopping for the lowest-rate mortgage with the fewest points. On a 15-year $100,000 fixed-rate mortgage, just lowering the APR from 7% to 6.5% can save you more than $5,000 in interest charges over the life of the loan, and paying two points instead of three would save you an additional $1,000.

38. Check the Internet or your local newspaper for mortgage rate surveys, then call several lenders for information about their rates (APRs), points, and fees. If you choose a mortgage broker, make certain to compare their offers with those of direct lenders.

39. Be aware that the interest rate on most adjustable rate mortgages (ARMs) can vary a great deal over the lifetime of the loan. An increase of several percentage points might raise payments by hundreds of dollars a month, so ask the lender what the highest possible monthly payment might be.

Mortgage Refinancing

40. Consider refinancing your mortgage if you can get a rate that is lower than your existing mortgage rate and plan to keep the new mortgage for at least several years. Calculate precisely how much your new mortgage (including points, fees and closing costs) will cost and whether, in the long run, it will cost less than your current mortgage.

Home Equity Loans

41. Be cautious in taking out home equity loans. The loans reduce or may even eliminate the equity that you have built up in your home. (Equity is the cash you would have if you sold your house and paid off your mortgage loans.) If you are unable to make payments on home equity loans, you could lose your home.

42. Compare home equity loans offered by at least four reputable lending institutions. Consider the interest rate on the loan and the annual percentage rate (APR), which includes other costs, such as origination fees, discount points, mortgage insurance, and other fees. Ask if the rate changes, and if so, how it is calculated and how frequently, as this will affect the amount of your monthly payments.

Housing

Home Purchase

43. You can often negotiate a lower sale price by employing a buyer broker who works for you, not the seller. If the buyer broker or the broker's firm also lists properties, there may be a conflict of interest, so ask them to tell you if they are showing you a property that they have listed.

44. Do not purchase any house until it has been examined by a home inspector that you selected.

Renting a Place to Live

45. Do not limit your rental housing search to classified ads or referrals from friends and acquaintances. Select buildings where you would like to live and contact their building manager or owner to see if anything is available.

46. Remember that signing a lease probably obligates you to make all monthly payments for the term of the agreement.

Home Improvement

47. Home repairs often cost thousands of dollars and are the subject of frequent complaints. Select from among several well established, licensed contractors who have submitted written, fixed-price bids for the work.

48. Do not sign any contract that requires full payment before satisfactory completion of the work.

Major Appliances

49. Consult Consumer Reports, available in most public libraries, for information about specific appliance energy star logobrands and models and how to evaluate them, including energy use. There are often great price and quality differences. Look for the yellow Energy Guide label on products, and especially for products that have earned the government's ENERGY STAR®, which can save up to 50% in energy use.

50. Once you've selected a specific brand and model, check the Internet or yellow pages to learn what stores carry the brand. Call at least four of these stores to compare prices and ask if that's the lowest price they can offer you. This comparison shopping can save you as much as $100 or more.

Utilities

Heating and Cooling

51. A home energy audit can identify ways to save up to hundreds of dollars a year on home heating (and air conditioning). Ask your electric or gas utility if they audit homes for free or for a reasonable charge. If they do not, ask them to refer you to a qualified professional.

52. Enrolling in load management programs and off-hour rate programs offered by your electric utility may save you up to $100 a year in electricity costs. Call your electric utility for information about these cost-saving programs.

Telephone Service

53. Once a year, review your phone bills for the previous three months to see what local, local toll, long distance, and international calls you normally make. Call several phone companies which provide service in your area (including wireless and cable), to find the cheapest calling plan that meets your needs. Consider a bundled package that offers local, local toll and long distance, and possibly other services, if you heavily use all the services in the bundle.

54. Check your phone bill to see if you have optional calling features or additional services, such as inside wire maintenance, that you don't need. Each option you drop could save you $40 or more each year.

55. If you make very few toll or long distance calls, avoid calling plans with monthly fees or minimums. Or consider disconnecting the service altogether and use dial around services such as 10-10 numbers or prepaid phone cards for your calls. When shopping for dial around service, look for fees, call minimum, and per minute rates. Treat prepaid cards as cash and find out if there is an expiration date.

56. If you use a cell phone, make sure your calling plan matches the pattern of calls you typically make. Understand peak calling periods, area coverage, roaming, and termination charges. Contracts offered by most carriers will provide you with a trial period of 14 days or more. Use that time to make sure the service provides coverage in all the places you will be using the phone (home, work etc.). Prepaid wireless plans tend to have higher per minute rates and fees but may be a better option if you use the phone only occasionally.

57. Before making calls when away from home, compare per minute rates and surcharges for cell phones, prepaid phone cards, and calling card plans to find how to save the most money.

58. Dial your long distance calls directly. Using an operator to place the call can cost you up to $10 extra. To save money on information calls, look the number up on the Internet, or in the directory.

Other

Food Purchased at Markets

59. You can save hundreds of dollars a year by shopping at lower-priced food stores. Convenience stores often charge the highest price.

60. You will spend less on food if you shop with a list, take advantage of sales, and purchase basic ingredients, rather than pre-packaged components or ready-made items.

61. You can save hundreds of dollars a year by comparing price-per-ounce or other unit prices on shelf labels. Stock up on those items with low per-unit costs.

Prescription Drugs

62. Since brand name drugs are usually much more expensive than their generic equivalents, ask your physician and pharmacist if a less expensive generic or an over the counter alternative is available.

63. Since pharmacies may charge widely different prices for the same medicine, call several. When taking a drug for a long time, also consider calling mail-order pharmacies, which often charge lower prices.

Funeral Arrangements

64. Plan ahead, making your wishes known about your funeral, memorial, or burial arrangements in writing to save your family or estate unnecessary expense.

65. For information about the least costly options, which may save you several thousand dollars, contact a local Funeral Consumer Alliance or memorial society, which are usually listed in the Yellow Pages under funeral services.

66. Before selecting a funeral home, call several and ask for prices of specific goods and services, or visit them to obtain an itemized price list. You are entitled to this information by law.6

[Edited by Bockman]Added tags.
poisonhzkj
I am a broken guy. I live with some friends and we share all the house bills. This way we can have ADSL and cable TV and the fridge always filled..lol
imraanio
lol i love this song, it's called broke, by DRI

Give all my money to chicks
And the dude at the corner store
After I pay the landlord
I ain't got no more
Money comes and money goes
It's already spent
But it's no mystery
Where it all went
That's why I'm always broke
Hey man, it ain't no joke
I can't seem to save
Pay my bills or behave
If it wasn't for that monthly bill
I'd be a millionaire
'hey guys, up here in front
Just pull up a chair
Girl, come on over here
You can drink your fill
Bartender, keep 'em coming
Put 'em on my bill'
That's why I'm always broke
Hey man, it ain't no joke
I can't seem to save
Pay my bills or behave
imraanio
someone must have heard of the above sometime? its quite an old song methinks.... but then, i'm only 20 lol
standready
I started a business. It is a pain when when your employees get paid and you don't. I guess it is all part of the game in the begininng. One day, some day it will be different.
danito
yeps, irrational spending is a killer, it's just that after working 13 hour days, when I have a day off I really feel like goin out and bying something, even if it's a pair of socks, although more often than not it's something slightly more pricy. Having a goal is always good, like right now I want to move to barcelona, so when I'm out I'm thinking oh la la that cash there could be paying my rent in a few months, let's hold on to it. Having said that I don't know if I'd want to be rich, all the rich kids I know have too much time to worry about everything else, that whole kinda "well I have everything but I'm still not happy" kinda buzz. Of course not realizing that they really don't have shit exept for a bunch of stuff that don't even come close to making them happy when the solitary blues sets in.
broke and stoked! join the club.
hack_man_
I have that feeling of being broke. My parents keep borrowing my cash for takeouts! If they paid it back I would be swimming in cash. Very Happy

It is a real downer when you grab a big handful of cash from your piggy/safe and think that you are rich and then you see that it is all small denomination notes. Sad

smokey4life wrote:
10. Consider purchasing a used car from an individual you know and trust. They are more likely than other sellers to charge a lower price and point out any problems with the car.

Ooh... Risky! How would you and your friends would feel if you sold them a nice car and it broke down a couple of days later? Do you think you would get on as well?
watersoul
What does "broke" mean??!!
Come on, lets get real, everyone using this forum has internet access and probably their own PC. I don't imagine that the number of users simply relying on internet cafe's is very high, and in any case, to be able to spend money at a 'net cafe means that you've already got the 3 main things in life - food in your belly, clothes on your back, and a roof over your head. If you have a 4th on your life wish list that is having friends/family and feeling loved, then you are not broke at all, you are rich!
In western society, the main poverty is only relative to the riches that we see in the media, there is very little absolute poverty.
I'm a relatively poor UK university student, and have far less money to live on than my working friends, but the bizarre thing is that I'm happier than most of them because i'm chasing my own dreams, not the dreams the television & advertising co's tell me i should be chasing.
Yes, I would love to be able to buy all the "shiny things" i see for myself & my son, but kicking a ball in the park or climbing a tree costs nothing, and ends up to be far more fun!
windrei
sometimes, i am quite frustrated about what i face in my life. It seems that i am always in bad luck. However, i will not let this feeling wandering in my mind for long, because i know it cannot help me. No matter how i feel bad, life is still going on. So, i choose to be happy~~ you too~~
hack_man_
I would think that in the context of this topic that the term 'broke' means enough to pay bills, buy food, live somewhere, but not have much left to spend on yourself.
Zaini
Hey, I am broke but I still can afford to go for a holiday. Am I really broke ? Yes..but how can I call myself broke if I still can bring the family for a nice holiday ?

In fact I'm going to a place with a 5 star accomodation.

Well, my line of work require me to travel to all over the places. It's happen that I choose a very nice place for my work related travelling. All expenses paid by the company and it so happen that I bring my family along. I'm still doing my work and at the same time having a holiday with my family.
OutlawSpirit
only reason i use the net is im not payin 4 it... but otherwise im broke... i got no money, i owe people.. i dont have a job ... i just sell things and make a lil money here n there...
Zaini
I've an opportunity to get a loan. It's good that's I can give something to my family especially next month we will have our celebration, Hari Raya (similar to Christmas).

Should I or should I not ? I'm worried if I take the loan, it will get me deeper in debt. But do I have a choice ? No... It's difficult to decide
Zaini
How can we categorise someone as broke ? Is it about money ? Or is it about how much are we making monthly ? Or is it about how we can afford all things that we want in life ?

Can we call someone broke when they don't have any money but they are very happy and have a family and everything they ever need in life even though it is not a material things.

How can we call them broke when they're happy with just little thing that they have and they not really care about all other things that we desire ?

Sometime it is not so simple...
Zaini
Hey, now even my Frihost point being deducted as i'm not spending enough time here. This past week, I'm busy looking for extra money that I don't have time to open my computer.

Life is not fair sometime. when you're broke, you will normally get more broke....

Even though life is cruel, living need to go on.....
Utopia GFR
I used to be broke several times in my life but always managed to find a way out of it. Cool

Of course, the easiest way of dealing with being broke is asking your pals for a loan (this might be less tougher than trying the same thing with your parents).

Having real friends who understand your needs and who are always ready to make the first step to assist you is wonderful; therefore, you know who you can rely on. Laughing

Now, if you dont have the chance of having such friends, you must either go to work (no matter what, even thought, it might not match at all your will) or try to get something from your parents. Rolling Eyes

I dont really recommend that approach since it is well known that most parents want their children to be as independent as possible and make their own cash.

Even though, this may sound like having the door shut in your face, it might the best way of learning social life the hard way.

Eventually, I always managed to stand back to money purposes being quite a non materialistic character.

Check out http://www.litterature.frih.net/

And thanks to FRIHOST for their wonderful hosting ^^
Smile
Utopia.
Zaini
I'm spending more money than I can afford. But I had no choice. I need to change my car tyres. My car need servicing now. Now only 10th and I need to wait for another 20 days before salary.

What to do, what to do.....

My son milk is depleting... need more money.....

When thing get tough, it's always getting tougher..
Zaini
I'm going fo another trip tomorrow. This month, I've been travelling almost every weekend. Money spend and my claims will only reimburse by the company another 2 months.

Well, had to find a way to cover back all the expenses that I've use my own cash to travel to all the places.

But when work require it, it's not an issue either you're broke or not, you still had to perform your duty.
Meggsy
I'm quite the opposite and I'm 18 paying for rent, car, fuel etc. It all depends how you manage your money. It also depends on your income. When you get your pay packet try and put 25% into a savings account that you don't touch. Use the rest to pay bills etc. If 75% isn't enough and you are working then perhaps you need to cut your expenses. Look at where you can save money - take lunch to work, have friends over and ask them to bring a plate for dinner opposed to eating out. There are plenty of ways to save and still have fun.
Mrs Lycos
Sometimes there's just nothing to cut down. There was a time when it was not a choice of eating out or stay in, it was choosing between having lunch or dinner. That was the bootom line. So we decided never depending on anyone, or ask for anything, working hard so that someone else gets the big shares.
We started our own family business, and we know that all the hard work we do turns into our own profit, or loses, but our own all the same.
charseips
Hey look up you can afford a computer and an internet connection, that's a heck of a lot more than most poeple in the world.
Jack_Hammer
I'm always broke, and it's always fun... Then I do get the temtation to get into debt a lot though which isn't a good idea.
Zaini
End of the month..... it's can only mean 1 thing... bills and bills to pay...

I hate end of the month when received my salary. It's mean that I would end up with nothing after paying all the bills.

What to do.. life need to go on.... bills had to be paid... food had to be laid on the table... need to find a way to survive month to month
markosaurus
Yup, I'm skint too, but I'm a student, so people expect me to be. That doesn't make it any more fun having to live off borrowed money though. I hate being in debt, but not being able to find a part-time job, and having been refused a fees loan by the local council (I don't know why since I don't earn anything) means I have to pay my fees out of my student loan. Which they still haven't signed off for me, so looks like I'm stuck living on credit cards until I get it all sorted out.
upandup
Whiskey + Ice green tea + Soda = Never broke + Cheer you up
Zaini
As it draw nearer to our festive season (Islamic festivities similay to Xmas), I find that I need to spend money that I don't have. How can I spend it when I know that I don't have it ?

But I had a family that look forward to the festivities,l new clothes, food, travelling, gift etc. Somehow I need to find ways to spend the money that I know that I don't have or afford. Should I ? But I must. I'll be in deeper hole. I'll be more broke than homeless man. At least they do not need to pay rental or utility bills or foods for the family.

Are they more lucky than me ? I would think so.....
silentdae
I'm 17 and don't have any bills to pay at this point. I don't make much money, maybe $500-$600 a month. It's nothing really but it's nice having some money to carry around. I usually don't spend much of my money though, I save it up for a while and then spend it on something expensive. The next thing i'm buying is a Sony Ericsson K790a/K800i cell phone for about $500.

I can't imaging life where I don't have at least $100/mo for things I want. But considering I've lived without that up until now, I'm sure i'd survive somehow. It wouldn't be very fun though.
eggg
Personally, I try to avoid money troubles by living as simply as possible. I don't have a car because the instant you get one you're hooked into paying for insurance, gas, and maintenance, and they honestly don't improve one's life that much. They just save time. I can get everywhere I need to go via bicycle or bus, I stay in much better shape this way, I meet more people, and I don't have to spend nearly as much money on bike maintenance and bus fare as I would on a car. Gardening is another thing one can do to limit expenses and stay active. Those suggestions won't work for everyone, of course, but I'm definitely happier living this way.
dbaker6165
Zaini wrote:

This is the way black people that do not play professional sports live... I feel ya brotha... lol
dz9c
yea im a teenager haha im good! 2 years til i have to deal with this stuff
meet in rio
If you get really desperate, you could always run off and and work in the Peace Corps for a year or so. Debt freezing (I believe) for the duration of your tour and a cash lump sum at the end. Or something.

(Not that that's a good reason to take a job with them, of course! Rolling Eyes )
Zaini
I wish I could do get. Just leave everything and join some outfit like Peace Corp or UN thingy thing. But I can't. And I believe a lot of us just can't hang our towel and call it a day. I have a commitment. A lot of us does. We have a family to feed. We have responsibility towards a lot of people, work and community. Even when life get tough, it is hard to just leave everything behind and do something else where people or banks can't find us. It doesn't work that way.

Life is tough, thats what make it worth living....
fpsaddict
Yeah, I never have any money because of all the bills Sad
Zaini
It is getting bad with the inflation rate is increasing yearly. Cost of living especially proce of perol and foods increasing like mad, sometime up to 40%. But our salary is increasing yearly at most 5% only. How can we make a living, It's getting worst.....

Do anyone else feel the pinch. Without the increase in cost of living, we already struggling to make end meet, with all the increases, it's no more struggling, but fighting a war.... war of make a living.
Zaini
Another month pass by. It's coming to November, nearly end of the year. Another 2 months before 2007 coming to the picture. What have I accomplish in 2006 ? How much money have I make ? How much have I save ?

What can I show ? Nothing, except for mountain of debt and added expenses to consider every month. What can we do to ensure 2007 will be a better year ?

Will it be another struggle...
konflikt
Flippin' sucks, man. Blokes runnin' around with new s**t all the time, and it feels like I'm stuck in a time warp. There's never enough month at the end of the money. Or something like that. High technology, yeah, but at the expense of being broke. I'm glad I'm so easily entertained by my PC, because, I don't do much else. Can't. It's pretty much not possible when there is no money. Saving doesn't really work for me because there is never anything to save. By the time I've paid everything I need to pay, there is no money left. One guy in this thread brought up a good point, though. Cars <i>do</i> bring extra expenses to the table, and at the end of the day, all they save is time. It caught my attention because I am without a car right now, and it kind of sucks having to walk or catch the bus everywhere. But there was also another post in this thread that caught my attention. That was the one with the idea about working on the side, starting a small business, something like that. Basically, supplementing your income. A car would come in handy for something like that. I mean, there's nothing worse than telling a client, "Yeah, sure, I can have your PC running like the wind all over again. It'll be purring like a kitten by the time I'm done. Can you pick me up at 5:30?"
Kyraxe
I know how that feels, I used to live paycheck to paycheck all the time. Things have been a bit better lately, and my wife helps me save (I'm terrible at saving money). Stick it out, things will get better soon you'll see.
nox-Hand
Zaini wrote:

I feel for you, mate. I know just how you feel Sad
tar-xzv
Interesting topic. I try not to be broke anytime. But it takes a lot to accomplish this. We know that everyone knows this that has a middle class salary. We don't eat in restaurants much, and we do not drive expensive cars that use 91 octane gas Wink. Depends what your background is. Were you born in 3rd world country? I was. Whatever you have today is because of your hard work and saving attitude. I'm 28, married and have a 9 month old baby girl. All I'm saying is if you change your ways and habits, you might be able to save a thousand or two. They have these shows on TV where you can learn so much. One of them is Till debt do us apart.

5ani
yaashop
I'm broke too! (because my wife control all my moneyXD she wont even let me spent on snack..) is that sad enough XD
arkebuzer
Zaini wrote:

as a student I know what you mean. But still, if I made a lot of cash I would probably spend it, since just having a pile of cash is no fun, it´s spending the cash that is fun, right?
Zaini
yaashop,

It's bad enough that we are broke, but having our wife control it will either make it better or worse. Depend on our wife or wives, I think. If our wife can really control the expenses then we should be in better position. But if the wife is shopping freak... wow, the we will be in the deep....

As long as we enjoy our life, it does not matter if we're broke...
westhighdrumline
Zaini wrote:
In life, we're always dreaming that the future will be better. But how can the future be better when the present is dark and does not seen to have any changes in store for you.

very true. if you think you feel constantly broke now, how do you think you'll feel in a few years?

the world is slowly moving toward a point where another world war could be inevitable. with money in constant need, countries would do anything to pull them out of debt, even taking other countries, yes?
drdestiny
(sorry for not reading the whole thread)

Personally, a easy way to balnce money is to create a debit card with a monthly allownace of extra cash in its account. Then you can basically freely use that card and youll clearly know your limits, and you wont waste much extra money
Zaini
Yeah, it's always tricky. But the truth is, in this world, only the riches will get more rich and the poor will get poorer. If you have money, you can use the money to make more money. But if you had nothing, no one willing to help as you're consider a very high risk.

The bank will give loan to people who had money but banks will not willing to give you any loan as you're consider you had no mean to pay them back. Even, no one willing to have you as a friend if they had a choice if they know you cant help them when they need it. Hey, if any of your friend need help, it's normally about money....

I'm saying this as a reality..reality bite.. but it does not mean when I'm broke, it's the end of the world for me. In fact, it's interesting in finding ways to make end meet....
Zaini
Is there a lot of nice and kind people out there ? How to know ? I've meet all kind of people in my life but I've not meet anyone who is willing to be charitable without own agenda or waiting for something in return or being somehow "force" to be charitable. I've not meet people that are willing to help an average Joe like me.

Is there anyone out there...