FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My Forum

copilot
Would you all be willing to come post on my forum? I'm trying to get it up and working and it ain't happening. I am going to lift the admin email confirmation on signup, so all you'll have to do is comfirm it with your own email address. If you go to my site, [url]copilot.frih.net[/url] and then click forum on the left side it will take you to it. Like it says on the forum, if you want a catergory added, let me know through a PM. Thanks.
ninjakannon
The forum looks good, just change the logo, add a few more catagories (I'd borrow some of the one's on frihost to start you off) and then advertise it to get some members Razz

How do you get the phpbb forum running on your webspace?
linexpert
If you don't mind me suggesting i would personally use smf insted of phpbb. If you want to see an example take a look at forums.experts.frih.net
Another think is that we can't leave comments in your blogs. I just thought you might want to add that.
ninjakannon
linexpert wrote:
If you don't mind me suggesting i would personally use smf insted of phpbb. If you want to see an example take a look at forums.experts.frih.net
Another think is that we can't leave comments in your blogs. I just thought you might want to add that.

I've had a look at your forum, linexpert, and I don't see many significant differences between phpbb and smf. Would you please outline a few of the plus points smf has over phpbb and vica versa. Thanks Wink
Whong
In my opinion you could use some other styles too, the subsilver looks a bit boring to me, but it is all upto you! Wink Idea
copilot
How should I advertise it, ninjakannon? I'll put some more catergories on (borrow from frihost!) but then I need to know how to advertise it. The install was simple. I uploaded all of the files via ftp and then went to the install folder which for me would have been htp://copilot.frih.net/phpbb/install/install.php. Of course, you have to delete that file when your done so that no one else can go do your install over again. When you type in that address, it takes you to the install screen which is very easy to go through. You need to know some things about the web (which I'm sure you know if oyu have your own site) like chmod all the files that it asks for to 777 so that phpbb can write to those folders. When you first start the install, it will tell you what files it needs to write to and then tell you if it is writeable or not. IF not, then you have to go change it to 777 and then refresh it. Once they are all writeable, then you can continue with the install. You have to a have a sql database for it too. Thanks for the suggestion linexpert, but I didn't really see much difference on yours from mine. I mean, the graphics are a little different but that was all I saw. Would you mind telling a few of the differences? I'm gonna have a friend design me some sort of a logo to put on it. I want something other than that one, but haven't gotten around to changing it yet.
copilot
Where can I get more phpbb styles?
ninjakannon
OK, to advertise. Simply go to the advertise your website forum here and post a topic with a link, ask people to go to your site and sign up. See how many people do this, you wont get floods of members, but you'll get a few. If you want to expand even further, then I recomend posting on other forum websites and maybe ask people to have a look and see what they think as well as asking them to just join your forum (I would also mention frihost, just to give them some advertising - they have given you a free website after all Wink).

I have recomened doing this because it's free. If you ever want to get a literaly 1000s of users then you must wait paitiantly, but also continue to make people aware. Google adsence might be a good idea.

Talking of google adsence, get some adverts on your forum. If anyone clicks them, you'll get some cash from it, and that can't be bad can it. You can use the money you get from advertising on your site to advertise yourself - and still keep some proffit Razz

Hope that all makes sence, I havn't read through it Wink

And thanks for the tips on installing phpbb, I'll have a go now Smile
{name here}
Maybe you should make your own so your site is just not another ununique site. Definately if you make your own template you'll make something that you can be proud of and you can have visitors see somehting they've never seen before.
Whong
{name here} wrote:
Maybe you should make your own so your site is just not another ununique site. Definately if you make your own template you'll make something that you can be proud of and you can have visitors see somehting they've never seen before.

How can you make your own template?
copilot
I can't get my forum style to change. I uploaded 2 more, installed them, and chagned the default theme to one of them but it won't change. ninjakannon, would you mind being first to sign up on my forum?!? Smile linexpert, how do I make it possible for you to add comments to the blog?
ninjakannon
I've signed up and posted a topic, one problem though. You can't view any of the topics Confused

I get this instead:
Quote:
Template->make_filename(): Error - file cash_viewtopic.tpl does not exist

This needs fixing, fast!
linexpert
ninjakannon wrote:

I've had a look at your forum, linexpert, and I don't see many significant differences between phpbb and smf. Would you please outline a few of the plus points smf has over phpbb and vica versa. Thanks Wink

Sure, Here are some reasons why i chose smf over phpbb.

1) compared to smf, phpbb has many exploits and you have to spend alot of time keeping up to date with security patches and updates
2) compared to smf, phpbb lacks in many features including some simple features that everyforum should have. (for example stats, calendar, attachments, easy editing of the agreement file, built-in database maintenance features, IP logging on registration, news box, print button, and the biggest feature that every forum should have subforums (they're called child forums in smf)).
3) The mods for phpbb are much more complicated than smf mods. With phpbb mods you have to modify tens if not hundreds of lines of code to install some basic mods
I've also heard (can't confirm) that because of the way smf handles posts smf handles huge traffic compared to phpbb.
copilot
Before to many people get signed up, I am going to install smf and have a look at it. I may be switching. The reasons that linexpert gave are good enough reasons to switch for me. ninjakannon, I found out that you can't view messages with any of the styles except subSilver. I don't know why, but if you change your theme to subSilver it will work. The same thing happened to me with both of the other themes. For now, I am going to disable user selectable themes, and just use subSilver as my default till I figure it out.
ninjakannon
I'm just trying to install phpbb on my site, I'll tell you if I find out what you could have been doing wrong. Then I'll also install smf to have a look at it's features.

Then I'll keep the one I like the most Cool
linexpert
Also if you guys think smf looks dull take a look at the theme that i just installed

http://forums.experts.frih.net/
ninjakannon
linexpert wrote:
Also if you guys think smf looks dull take a look at the theme that i just installed

http://forums.experts.frih.net/

That is pretty cool, linexpert!
copilot
That is a really neat theme, linexpert! I am about to install smf and try it out and then do as ninjakannon is doing. Keep the one I like best!
linexpert
thanks guys Very Happy

btw, if you guys need help with installing smf let me know, i'm more than willing to help Very Happy
ninjakannon
I've installed phpbb, but I can't log on as admin to change the settings Confused

What have I missed out?
linexpert
Did you set up the admin password and email during the installation?
ninjakannon
linexpert wrote:
Did you set up the admin password and email during the installation?

Yes, I've installed everything and most of it's working correctly.

I have now managed to log on but I cannot get into the admin adminastration panel Confused It just comes up with the "The page cannot be found" page. Yet the files that it is trying to load are there...
ninjakannon
The only thing that I can find that doesn't work is the Administration Panel. What could be wrong?
linexpert
Are you sure you uploaded all the files before installation. If nothing works you can always try installing it again. It looks like the admin files may not have been uploaded right. Shocked
ninjakannon
No, everything's there. I can't find anything missing, and I've changed all the CHMOD settings on the php files. Arg this is anoying.

EDIT: I have just checked, it does not recognise that the admin folder exists Evil or Very Mad...
linexpert
My advice is to forget about phpbb and go with smf. Very Happy

I can walk you threw the smf installation process step-by-step. Very Happy
copilot
I had a slit problem trying to install phpbb, so I got upset, wiped the whole thing off and reuploaded it all. One file at a time. Then it worked just fine.
rayx
PHPBB2 is fine, easy to setup and can add some modification with it because it is a opensource CMS. Wait for PHPBB3 and you see how powerfull it is !
ninjakannon
rayx wrote:
PHPBB2 is fine, easy to setup and can add some modification with it because it is a opensource CMS. Wait for PHPBB3 and you see how powerfull it is !

I can't wait for phpbb 3. I think it's in BETA testing at the moment.

It should be very good, when finally finished and released Very HappyVery Happy
Bourgondier
There are too much amateur forums....
ninjakannon
Bourgondier wrote:
There are too much amateur forums....

And why is that?

It's good practice and fun for the people who own them... not to mention their members. Rolling Eyes