FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how do i set up a free host?

giorockstarr
does anyone know how does a guy who is new to this learn it all with out getting lost?
mustaq
hmm so you want to start free hosting first you can start hosting from your home computer it will be lots of problem if so for a demo you can do that using netserv and to start hosting compnay you need $$$$ if so get some reseller account and do marking for your hosting company
{name here}
You can make a server for histing is not easy, and there is no easy way to do so. But here are the steps to make a web host:

Get a blade server or eserver from IBM(alteranteively build one, but getting one from IBM will have the customization you'd get from building one. make sure you have plenty of disk space)
    Get Linux, or BSD(if you chose to build. IBM servers usually come preinstalled with AIX or e/OS which will do)
    Setup the system as a web server, meaning you will need HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, POP3/IMAP, PHP, MySQL daemons/servers all installed on your system. Something like cPanel should be installed too.
    Get a solid T1, T2, T3, or OC3(best) internet connection. DSL or IDSN will not do. They're too slow.
    Get a domain and register it to your server's IP.
    Upload your site to the server.

Of course, this will all be mighty expensive, but if you make people pay for your hosting, then you just may balance the bill. Remember that the cheaper you offer with the more features offered, the more of a chance you will get noticed, that is if you advertise.

This doesn't even include the legal things that you'll need to go over so you can become a legal company making legal profit. You'll need to choose a business type, each with pros and cons, setup insurance policies, hire an accountant, register with your local chamber of commerce, figure your taxation on your business, etc which can all be answered at your local goverment building(city hall or state capital).
Atomo64
Download debian, install it... then login as root and type this:
Code:

apt-get update && apt-get install apache php4 mysql-server-4.1 php4-mysql php4-gd php4-curl php4-sqlite php4-mcrypt php4-mhash php4-pear ruby perl python iptables xinted libapache-mod-ruby libapache-mod-ssl libapache-mod-suphp libapache-mod-python libapache-mod-perl

and then you'll have a web server ready using apache 1.3, with ruby, perl, python and php4 support Wink. But... why do you want to start a webserver?? 'cause you also need a panel (like cpanel) which is paid... better use something like this or if you wanna make some money be a reseller.
mustaq
as i told already its very large work and ned more resource to have own server in your money more ever its expensive better built a server in your home and do it co-location this wil reduce your cost
webbone
You need a high performance server and good host manager software like cpanel and wide bandwidth and good fireware to use,You need more time to manage it and more money! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
budazz
or you can get the reseller thing... other hosting website offer reseller as long as you meet the requirements
kackel
I have an apache program (not installed) and now i want to use it on another computer (we can say that i buy one).
How do i do with apache?? I dont need a real .com domain or something, just an internet protocol adress(ip) so i can upload files on my second computer (the apache cpu) and then maybe go to a friend and try to write my ip adress and for example watch my vaccation pictures ??
HELP ME PLZ!

Regards Stefan
pansophia
This will get you a fake IP: http://www.no-ip.com/

However, your ISP might block it. When I used PeoplePC, they prevented me from running a server.

You might also consider setting up an FTP server instead of a web server if you just want to be able to access large files from remote locations.
JayDoubleM
haha if you have no idea to start, don't even think about doing it, besides there are already so many free web hosts out there, I don't think that the world needs even more hosts...
no offense though, but I believe you need a lot of $$$ if you would really like to start this, because I don't think that one single server will be enough!!!
urangkayo
i think you need a lot of money to do this. have a knowledge about security.

the important things is you must have a reliable server for you client if not you cannot sell you hosting.
fever
why not jsut become a reseller.
less hassles, better support.
quicker setup.
earn while you learn, this way you will gain some experience and just maybe be able to go on your own.
just my opinion.
urangkayo
fever wrote:
why not jsut become a reseller.
less hassles, better support.
quicker setup.
earn while you learn, this way you will gain some experience and just maybe be able to go on your own.
just my opinion.

I agree with you.

become reseller you can learn to handle user, your WHM, and get experience from that for your future
cknight411
SPECIFICATIONS FOR INTERFACE (ANY SUGGESTIONS)

Application: Transmission of files to various screens at scheduled times and dates via a computer running Windows XP and ATI Graphics cards (SLI board) EX.: screen shows data from Powerpoint or an MPG4 file from 11 am to 3 pm and changes weekly, monthly etc. via windows scheduled tasks function located under Control Panel

Client needs= ability to upload mpg4 file OR pps file to link on spreadsheet containing scheduled data EX: Client Pulls up spreadsheet; hits date and imports file from harddrive. The file is then set to run at that time period. They would see the time slot on the spreadsheet then click a link which would MAP TO CONTROL PANEL THEN SCHEDULED TASKS where the file would AUTOMATICALLY be placed.

We need the ability to customize the spreadsheet to reflect the client’s name, etc
cknight411
SPECIFICATIONS FOR INTERFACE (ANY SUGGESTIONS)

Application: Transmission of files to various screens at scheduled times and dates via a computer running Windows XP and ATI Graphics cards (SLI board) EX.: screen shows data from Powerpoint or an MPG4 file from 11 am to 3 pm and changes weekly, monthly etc. via windows scheduled tasks function located under Control Panel

Client needs= ability to upload mpg4 file OR pps file to link on spreadsheet containing scheduled data EX: Client Pulls up spreadsheet; hits date and imports file from harddrive. The file is then set to run at that time period. They would see the time slot on the spreadsheet then click a link which would MAP TO CONTROL PANEL THEN SCHEDULED TASKS where the file would AUTOMATICALLY be placed.

We need the ability to customize the spreadsheet to reflect the client’s name, etc
Atomo64
Or in case you don't want to be a reseller, you should better get a VPS, so it is managed by a data center, so in case you need support you can get it.
mustaq
Atomo64 wrote:
Or in case you don't want to be a reseller, you should better get a VPS, so it is managed by a data center, so in case you need support you can get it.

yes i agree with you getting vps and place unliminted whm control panel for the user so that you can sel the reseller account for your clients