FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Man's Bottle Message Found After His Death

glennesau
Quote:
ANTIGO, Wis. - Years after casting a bottled-up note into a lake for a class project and just one year after his death, a man's childhood message has been found and returned to his mother.

Eleven years ago, a then 10-year-old Joshua Baker wrote the message nestled in an empty vanilla container, his mother, Maggie Holbrook said. He died last February following a motor vehicle accident in California. He had recently returned home after serving in the Middle East as a U.S. Marine.

"I think he was just letting us know he was OK and to keep doing what we are doing," Holbrook said.

The message surfaced in White Lake in late April, just days after the 11th anniversary of its casting. It was found by one of Baker's closest friends, Steve Lieder, of Antigo, she said. Lieder and two friends were chatting near the lake when they looked down and saw the bottle. They broke it open and found the note inside:

"My name is Josh Baker. I am 10. If you find this put it on the news. The date is 4/16/95."

They immediately took it to Holbrook, who said she is now having the note preserved and will display it in her home.

She can remember when her son wrote the message for the school project. She said she always wondered why they didn't put it in the nearby Wolf River, which has a much stronger current.

"I still remember the day he wrote it," Holbrook said. "I couldn't understand why they threw it in the lake. No one would ever see it again. Now I know."

--------------Comcast.net Strange News

I love messages that come from bottles, who knows how long messages will take to get from one side of the world to the other. I should try that some day. I find it sad that he isn't around to hear about the finding of his message in the bottle but he is with us in spirit.
Vrythramax
what makes this story so strange for me is not the fact that it was found so close to the anniverrsary of it's being cast away....but that it was found by one of the authors friends!

Stranger things have happened to be sure, but this one, if true, rates right up there on my wierd-o-meter.
Biodiesel
This is what I like about the net, stories that would be a once in a lifetime thing are now common, and can offer me some amusement on a weekly basis.
Thundr n Lightning
Cool stuff... I've always wanted to put a message in a bottle and throw it in a lake Razz
Soulfire
Wow, that must've slightly consoled the mother. How weird would it be to find it? By a friend and only days after it's 11th anniversary... and the man just died nontheless.