FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Is Opium bad?






Is Opium...
Bad?
81%
 81%  [ 13 ]
Good?
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 16

Jack_Hammer
I want to know who thinks opium is bad or good, and why?
mstreet
I think that all one has to do is read the old Sherlock Holmes to know the effects of what opium can do to someone, the even talk about it in the novel Around the World in Eighty Days. It's not a good thing.
Hogwarts
No. Opium is NOT bad. As a painkiller it actually helps people. The only thing bad about it, and the same applies to all drugs, is that it's the idiots who don't need it - use it!

Another thing is that it generates revenue for Afghanistan - Which I think of as good because they need the money after Taliban-Rule for so long.
HoboPelican
As long as you don't over due it, I see no problems. You can get addicted, but I'm not sure it's as addictive as governments tend to say. In college, there was a fair amount of it around, but occasional use didn't seem to cause problems. And folks doing opium were a lot less prone to violence than those pounding down beers.
alkady
Opium today is illegal for over the counter usage in most country. Plus its an addictive painkiller like any kind of drugs. The problem it can cause other than being healthwise can be devastating.

It's like when Britain forced China to accept the opium they where going to sell. The end result was they pratically got everyone hooked on the thing and really introduced unseen social problem. They where enriching themselves like drug dealers while the people they sold wanted more and you can only imagine what they do for it when they where broke.
Jaiye
good good
Jack_Hammer
Jaiye wrote:
good good


SPAM?
Jaiye
Jack_Hammer wrote:
Jaiye wrote:
good good


SPAM?


... is not good.

I said what I think, didn't feel like typing out a full explanation. Please, at least look at the question/answer relationship before spamming spam accusations. or because it's your thread you must demand excellence from every reply?
mschnell
From a historical context it would seem to me like opium is bad. It did start two wars which were both extremely damaging to China with the unfair tariffs , the treaty ports, favored nation status, and extrateritoriality that were forced upon her. It seems to me like it worked well as a weapon of provocation.
meet in rio
If this conversation is going to turn to the Afghan poppy field fiasco, I think Afghanistan should be able to grow what it likes. No-one's obliterating tobacco fields.

I can't comment on the nature of the drug itself, because I've never even come into contact with it.
HoboPelican
mschnell wrote:
From a historical context it would seem to me like opium is bad. It did start two wars ....


Does that make soccer bad, also? Anyone remember the soccer war of 1969?
badzo
i dont like opium but hemp is the best Shocked Embarassed
snowboardude
i don't like drugs in general, you always feel like sh*t afterwards, even painkiller and over-the-counter drugs. i never take my prescriptions, until i feel i cannot do without. the best painkiller is adrenaline, if you get a muscle ache, snowboard, and you'll forget about it. humans have been around for 10,000 years without painkillers.

though that's just me talking, if your chest hurts so much you can't breathe, take the painkiller, just try to hold it off 'till the very end.
HoboPelican
snowboardude wrote:
i don't like drugs in general, you always feel like sh*t afterwards, even painkiller and over-the-counter drugs. i never take my prescriptions, until i feel i cannot do without. the best painkiller is adrenaline, if you get a muscle ache, snowboard, and you'll forget about it. humans have been around for 10,000 years without painkillers.

though that's just me talking, if your chest hurts so much you can't breathe, take the painkiller, just try to hold it off 'till the very end.


It works! My shoulder was aching the other day and I went snowboarding... Of course, in Ohio there is little snow so I basically fell down hill. Now I hardly notice my shoulder due to broken bones, abrasions and bruising Laughing Laughing Laughing Now that I think about it, we've been around for 10,000 years without snowboards, also! Laughing Laughing

Seriously though, I know what you're saying. Even though I used to be somewhat of a druggie and never really had any issues with it, these days I find I resist even over the counter drugs. But that is just me. Wink
mceejaydee
I've seen a documentary on the history channel about opium and it's known to be highly addictive. I know they said something bad about it but it kills.
HoboPelican
mceejaydee wrote:
I've seen a documentary on the history channel about opium and it's known to be highly addictive. I know they said something bad about it but it kills.


Well, I won't argue "highly adictive" since that is a weird subject. All I can say is the the folks I knew that used it "occasionally", no one ever had any issues with addiction. It might be related to heavy use and building up a tolerance.
Never heard anything about it "killing", though. Wikipedia says nothing about that in the physiological effects section.
Duncan Idaho
Opium is *BAD*. My reason, drugs are for fags, only week little immoral bastards that cant handle life do drugs. Flipping pot heads.
HoboPelican
Duncan Idaho wrote:
Opium is *BAD*. My reason, drugs are for fags, only week little immoral bastards that cant handle life do drugs. Flipping pot heads.


LOL. I always you straights were the cowards afraid to try something new.

Each to his own. Wink
Andrew426
Theres different ways of answering the question, as it may be good in some ways but bad in others.

Politically: bad (Or good, depending how you look at it)

As a painkiller: Good (Morphine)

Economically: good (if you happen to be growing/selling it)

For persoal use (to get you high/relaxed/weird) I dont know, noone can say weather its good or bad without knowing the circumstances/effects it will have on an induvidual.

For example, If its someone whos terminally ill with only a week to live and it will help them with something; Its a good thing, but if its for a 2 year old who will become very sick from taking it; its a bad thing.


Noone can give you a definitive answer as to weather it will be good or bad for you, as people are generally biased.
Rsam
Opium is bad, because, um, Drugs are bad, mmkay

ashen
Opium is bad if you use it for yourself. But its good if used for medical.
mavahntooth
I guess it is bad... because it is very addictive although it can cure some illness. i just recommend try other drugs that can as a replacement for opium.
mschnell
HoboPelican wrote:
mschnell wrote:
From a historical context it would seem to me like opium is bad. It did start two wars ....


Does that make soccer bad, also? Anyone remember the soccer war of 1969?


I don't think that's a relevant argument. Soccer wasn't used to provoke a war. The two teams happened to be playing eachother at a time of high political tensions. The games may have been taken too seriously, but I don't think that these two situations are all that similar. You have taken what I said out of context. I did clarify that opium was used as "a weapon of provocation." I don't believe that a good game of footy could ever be used in such a way.
HoboPelican
mschnell wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:
mschnell wrote:
From a historical context it would seem to me like opium is bad. It did start two wars ....


Does that make soccer bad, also? Anyone remember the soccer war of 1969?


I don't think that's a relevant argument. Soccer wasn't used to provoke a war. ...


It was a somewhat light hearted response, but in reality there is very seldom one issue that results in war. As you say, tensions build and it happens. Do you really believe the Opium Wars were started only because of opium tariffs? So, while I meant it tongue-in-cheek, I think it is about as valid as your statement.

I'm taking this whole thread pretty lightly, and rightly so, I think. So many people are posting things they've been told or read with no real experience. That's fine, but posting "I think it's bad because I heard.." is not a serious discussion in my mind.
mschnell
I don't think tariffs had much to do with the opium war...Britian was illegaly selling opium in China...I believe China wasn't upseet because of high opium taxes, China was mad because the opium was hurting it's people and it couldn't get Britian to stop.
HoboPelican
mschnell wrote:
I don't think tariffs had much to do with the opium war...Britian was illegaly selling opium in China...I believe China wasn't upseet because of high opium taxes, China was mad because the opium was hurting it's people and it couldn't get Britian to stop.


LOL. So it wasn't opium that caused the war. It was the fact of it's being illegal? I can go with that. Opium itself is not bad, it's the govenment sticking it's nose in and making it illegal that is bad. Very Happy

Thanks for the insight. Laughing
mschnell
No, I really don't think you understand...
HoboPelican
mschnell wrote:
No, I really don't think you understand...


No, I really don't think YOU understand. According to your own statement the Opium War was fought because it was illegal in china and the Brits wanted the trade. So it isn't the DRUG that caused the war, it's the fact that it was illegal. Or the fact that the brits wanted trade. Either way, it has no implications as to whether opium is "bad".

Move on to a better argument. Wink
Vrythramax
I don't if anything that is so highly addictive can actually be good for you, not even when refined into a [very effective] pain killer. I do believe in it's refined state (i.e. morphine, dolophine, etc.) it can be extremly useful to people who suffer fron chronic pain or injuries. Not really sure how beneficial it may be...it's seems to have been the cause of alot of problems throughout history...but it is certainly argueable as to wheather or not it was those in power, or the control of the drug, or the drug itself was the source of the problems. Either way, this is not an easy question to answer right off...the arguements, both pro and con, are about equal in number.
HoboPelican
Vrythramax wrote:
I don't if anything that is so highly addictive can actually be good for you, not even when refined into a [very effective] pain killer. I do believe in it's refined state (i.e. morphine, dolophine, etc.) it can be extremly useful to people who suffer fron chronic pain or injuries. Not really sure how beneficial it may be...it's seems to have been the cause of alot of problems throughout history...but it is certainly argueable as to wheather or not it was those in power, or the control of the drug, or the drug itself was the source of the problems. Either way, this is not an easy question to answer right off...the arguements, both pro and con, are about equal in number.


I can't argue that. Wink Are you always so reasonable? Laughing
Vrythramax
HoboPelican wrote:
I can't argue that. Wink Are you always so reasonable? Laughing


I'll take that as a compliment if you don't mind Smile I try to look at both sides of an arguement.

Now my 6 year old daughter doesn't believe I am very reasonable at all....one minute she loves me, then I tell her it's past her bedtime....and I am on her s***list for the rest of the night! Happened just a few hours ago as a matter of fact....guess I'll have to buy more ice cream....she's so easily bribed Laughing
mschnell
HoboPelican wrote:
mschnell wrote:
No, I really don't think you understand...


No, I really don't think YOU understand. According to your own statement the Opium War was fought because it was illegal in china and the Brits wanted the trade. So it isn't the DRUG that caused the war, it's the fact that it was illegal. Or the fact that the brits wanted trade. Either way, it has no implications as to whether opium is "bad".

Move on to a better argument. Wink


Rediculous. The fact that importing opium was illegal was not the base reason for the start of the wars. It was illegal for a reason. Yes, you can say all you want that it's because the government actually cared about the importation of opium that the wars broke out. You're now looking too closely at the trees and have seem to have forgoten about the forest. Why do you think the Chinese government cared about Opium smuggling? Because that would underly any reason to make it illegal in the first place, wouldn't it? You act as if I said something different from what I actually said.
HoboPelican
mschnell wrote:

Rediculous. The fact that importing opium was illegal was not the base reason for the start of the wars. It was illegal for a reason.


Didn't you just write this?
Quote:
I don't think tariffs had much to do with the opium war...Britian was illegaly selling opium in China...I believe China wasn't upseet because of high opium taxes


Look, bro, you brought the Opium Wars into this. It doesnt really have any bearing on "Is Opium Bad". You might as well say the US made it illegal, so it must be bad. There are a number of good reasons to believe that it is bad and some have been posted. The Opium Wars is NOT a good reason.

If you have to get the last word in, be my guest, but, for now, I'll sit back and wait for a post that deserves to be answered. Smile (The Opium Wars are finished:lol:)
mschnell
HoboPelican wrote:
mschnell wrote:

Rediculous. The fact that importing opium was illegal was not the base reason for the start of the wars. It was illegal for a reason.


Didn't you just write this?
Quote:
I don't think tariffs had much to do with the opium war...Britian was illegaly selling opium in China...I believe China wasn't upseet because of high opium taxes


Look, bro, you brought the Opium Wars into this. It doesnt really have any bearing on "Is Opium Bad". You might as well say the US made it illegal, so it must be bad. There are a number of good reasons to believe that it is bad and some have been posted. The Opium Wars is NOT a good reason.

If you have to get the last word in, be my guest, but, for now, I'll sit back and wait for a post that deserves to be answered. Smile (The Opium Wars are finished:lol:)


You've answered all my posts so far. I didn't go right out and saying, but what I was eluding to was the fact that many Chinese people were becoming hopelessly addicted. Have you seen pictures? They're horribly disgusting. I don't think you can look at them and say that opium is good. If you still see no relevance in why I brought up the Opium Wars, then I have nothing further to say.
opiumeater
Where to begin? oh yes! thats right 3400 B.C. is the time Opium had been recorded historically from the ancient sumerians,then the assyerians,then the egyptians and so on. Opium didnt seem to have a problem amongst men/women until the late to early 15-16th century with religious figures stating "the Devils work" because cubing women,childern,men was a more sane way of purity than a plant? ok! between britain and china. late (16th-17th)..trading..europe getting its "fix" again. is when shit started to fly! its all about the money and control..key words here. when you have goverment control/religous control and can no longer inflict fear into the lives of helpless poor citizens because they get joy from a plant...(samething happen to the African-Americans during the 19th century with pot production) mind you "two opium wars" how about tea? coffee? soccer?giants game?any sport? etc. all those things make money,which in my opinion is the worst ****** drug on this planet...you wanna talk about murder?war?poverty?goverment?control?taxes? etc..why do drug lords sell drugs in the first place? for money! which brings control.
Flyingferrets
Opium has Morphine as one of the natural ingreadients and according to this site
http://www.livestrong.com/article/264983-negative-effects-of-morphine-on-the-body/
"Serious side effects need immediate medical attention. Slow, shallow breathing or purplish color to the skin can occur. Rash, itching, tightness in the throat, difficulty swallowing and swelling in the extremities affect some people. Fainting, hallucinations and seizures can result."
Related topics
Counter strike
bad news and very bad news
10 Reasons You Know You Bought a Bad Computer
Why my site and cpanel display Bandwidth Limit Exceeded?
Q: Why are women so bad at mathematics?
A photo while i had a very bad wearher with my ship
al-Qaida leader in Saudi killed, Good News or Bad News
Bad ping time, what happen to frihost?
NBA LIVE 2006
BAD SITES
Bad Ginger Bread Men
File sharing, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
school? bad or good?
Babies for sale on eBay tentacle
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.