FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is CopyRight and how to get it ?

hellrahul
Hi !

I have seen many times in most of the web sites there is a copyright statement written at the bottom.
What are these copyright info.

I am also going to create a commercial website, how will i get my copyright. Is it necessary to have a copy right.

Help me I will be thankful ? Smile
TeenZine
Well you own a coppy right by just righting it but for legal purposes you should get a legal coppyright for information on coppy rights please go to
http://www.copyright.gov/ ( the united states coppy right site. )) Rolling Eyes

The current cost is 45$
myrevolt
Or if you aren't all THAT serious about it. Then you can have SOME rights reserved with Creative Commons
Jack_Hammer
What is Copyright?

Copyright gives the creators of certain kinds of material rights to control ways their material can be used. These rights start as soon as the material is recorded in writing or in any other way. There is no official registration system. The rights cover:

* copying;
* adapting;
* distributing;
* communicating to the public by electronic transmission (including by broadcasting and in an on demand service);
* renting or lending copies to the public; and,
* performing in public

In many cases, the author will also have the right to be identified on their works and to object if their work is distorted or mutilated.
38club
if I make a website ? if I din't has the copy rights.. is OK?
kronso.23
Most people I know just put a
"Website And Content © Name-Of-Author - All Rights Reserved"
I doubt most of them actually registered anywhere, rather just place this statement at the bottom of their page in a serious looking font Laughing
Traveller
kronso.23 wrote:
Most people I know just put a
"Website And Content © Name-Of-Author - All Rights Reserved"
I doubt most of them actually registered anywhere, rather just place this statement at the bottom of their page in a serious looking font Laughing
Even though the creation of a text, sorftware, or artistic work in a fixed form does confer a de facto copyright, only the proper registration actually confers a de jure copyright. In other words, if your material is not registered, you may, in fact, have a copyright for it, but it would be extremely difficult to defend that copyright in a court of law if you ever decided to try to prosecute someone for infringement. As stated earlier in this thread, if this is within the States, go to http://www.copyright.gov for complete and detailed information about any copyright questions, forms, or procedures.
alkady
Okay, This is something I've been saying for some time now. A copyright is to protect your work from copy cats. But its not necessary. Under the law, The work you done is rightfully yours for your life and as long as you prove it, You can take any cases of infringement to court.

In the event someone invented that thing before you and you have the copyright, Youll most likely lose it. And copyrights only protect your work for 50 years until it expires and but its still rightfully yours except for the protection.
CyanEyed
in the uk, if u can prove that u created the work u can prosecute for infringement and win a court case, without having a copyright sign. if u do have a copyright sign then u can recieve more money because the violater cannot claim "accidental infringment". so my advice is to put a copyright sign as a detterent anyway and if someone does infringe u can sue for damages and bring in some extra wong Twisted Evil
Traveller
alkady wrote:
Okay, This is something I've been saying for some time now. A copyright is to protect your work from copy cats. But its not necessary. Under the law, The work you done is rightfully yours for your life and as long as you prove it, You can take any cases of infringement to court.

Maybe things are different in Canada. In the U.S., however:
Quote:
Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”
(Source: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#register)

Hmm...wasn't too hard to find - in Canada:
Quote:
Do I have to do anything to be protected?

No. Since you obtain copyright automatically, you are automatically protected by law. However, it is still a good idea to register your copyright and to indicate notice of copyright on your works.
(Source: http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/cipo/cp/faq_cp-e.html)

alkady wrote:
In the event someone invented that thing before you and you have the copyright, Youll most likely lose it. And copyrights only protect your work for 50 years until it expires and but its still rightfully yours except for the protection.

Again, in the U.S.:
Quote:
...copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.
(Source: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-duration.html#duration)

In Canada:
Quote:
The term for which copyright shall subsist shall, except as otherwise expressly provided by this Act, be the life of the author, the remainder of the calendar year in which the author dies, and a period of fifty years following the end of that calendar year.
(Source: http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33308)
CyanEyed
Hello People....

HellRahul is in India - A Whole Load Of Info On U.S, Canada And U.K(that was me) Probably Wont Help Idea I think maybe sum1 should try finding info on Indian copyright laws (don't look at me - ive got enough stuf of my own to sort out).

Anyway, Good Luck to those who try to find Indian Copyright
Traveller
CyanEyed wrote:
I think maybe sum1 should try finding info on Indian copyright laws

Here you go:
Quote:
What is the term of protection of copyright?

The general rule is that copyright lasts for 60 years. In the case of original literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works the 60-year period is counted from the year following the death of the author. In the case of cinematograph films, sound recordings, photographs, posthumous publications, anonymous and pseudonymous publications, works of government and works of international organisations, the 60-year period is counted from the date of publication.

and
Quote:
Is it necessary to register a work to claim copyright?

No. Acquisition of copyright is automatic and it does not require any formality. However, certificate of registration of copyright and the entries made therein serve as prima facie evidence in a court of law with reference to dispute relating to ownership of copyright.

Source: http://www.education.nic.in/htmlweb/copyright.htm] (Government of India Department of Education - National Information Centre)
NG
a copyright is where you have something and they take it without permission it can be a law suit Very Happy
goutha
Copyright is a set of exclusive rights granted by governments to regulate the use of a particular expression of an idea or information.

At its most general, it is literally "the right to copy" an original creation. In most cases, these rights are of limited duration. The symbol for copyright is ©, and in some jurisdictions may alternately be written (c).
Kaisonic
Technically, anything you write and publish on the web is automatically copyrighted under your name/your company's name. Paying the $45 (or whatever) is simply registering the copyright, which gives you extra benefits (like if someone tried to sue you, you'd be much better off with a registered copyright). Also technically, no one really needs to put the copyright notice at the bottom of their web pages, just because it's implied. But most people do just because they can and it looks really cool.