FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I think I'm dieing... literally

Mr Smith
Okay... This may sound a bit discusting to some...

I recently got a cold, it blocked up my nose enough that I could only breathe through my mouth (This was bout a week ago)...

Three or four days ago, I got given some nasel spray called something, but had extra "kick", (ethanol)... whenever I put it into my nose and sprayed the nostril once, it really stung. In the afternoon I go to blow my nose, and out comes 50% snot, and 50% blood, real blood. I went off the nasal spray that DAY, and still now (4 days ahead) I still blow out snot from my nose, and it is getting worser and worser.

I tell my mum, she says I'm blowing too hard. The thing is, I barely even blow it to get about 10ml of snot out of my nose.

The doctor's fees are very high, and we cannot afford a doctor, so what can I do?

Thanks a million...
pjv
You can pray and we'll also pray for you! Prayer is very powerful! Have faith and believe that God will heal you. No matter how difficult it is, no matter how hard it is, sometimes you will be surprised. Just trust in Him.
alkady
Not being a doctor, Throught I wish. hehehe Dr. Alkady, ph.D in Medicical Science. Well anyhow enough with my day dreaming.

I've done a bit of research on Nasal Spray and found out that you are only supposed to use these things for a short period. Less than 5 Days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_spray

Quoting Wikipedia

Quote:
With prolonged use these types of sprays can damage the delicate mucous membranes in the nose, ironically causing an increased inflammatory effect known as rhinitis medicamentosa, or the "rebound effect". As a result, decongestant nasal sprays are advised for short-term use only.

So my diagnosis is that you damaged your Membrane in the nose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinitis_medicamentosa
then reading this, Throught it doesnt look too serious.

Quote:
The treatment of RM involves withdrawal of the offending nasal spray. Both a "cold turkey" and a "weaning" approach can be used. Symptoms of congestion and runny nose can often be temporized by using prescription nasal steroid sprays 1 to 2 times daily for a few weeks. For very severe cases oral steroids may be necessary. Oral decongestant medications like Sudafed can also help with the transition.

But I don't recommend that you do what it says, Study your option and see what the others think. Althrought the best option is a Doctor, In your situation, Lets hope there is a Physician in here.
rightclickscott
pjv wrote:
You can pray and we'll also pray for you! Prayer is very powerful! Have faith and believe that God will heal you. No matter how difficult it is, no matter how hard it is, sometimes you will be surprised. Just trust in Him.

Yes, because the power of god will obviously stop a person from blowing very hard. You can't be dependant on god to save you from your troubles, you have to be independent and solve your own problems, but at this rate, it seems you have to be dependent on a doctor. I know you can't afford one, but this is too abnormal to just push aside. You seriously need a doctor.
alkady
Well another option is if one of us calls a physician and describe the situation for a diagnosis. I'd do it, But lets just say my family doctor isnt in good terms with me and the only option would be a hospital and ya..I never mentioned it but I have a fear for hospitals. But I'll continue my research. Plus it's 12:35 PM in Montreal right now. So I can't attempt anything until 9:00 AM to the latest.

EDIT: Thought you might want to read this.

http://health.yahoo.com/topic/allergy/other/article/islco/Allergy_ALRG_nasal_sprays

also just for you, I've posted on Yahoo! Answer a little question for you where more people can give their opinion.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=20060621214137AA03N9N
paul_indo
If you are really that sick I think you must see a doctor no matter what the price.
It is better than dieing.
alkady
Well if he can't afford, It creates a problem. A solution is to increase the dosage of the spray to counter react the problem. But thats not recommended as mentioned earlier. ( And no, I didnt make it up.)
Bondings
Maybe try to put some ice on your nose. That's what is usually advised when your nose bleeds. The cold ice should stop the bleeding.
NuniPio
i was once on a nasal spray and used to get nose bleeds and also used to sting real bad whenever i used it.. its ok dude your not going to die... well i hope not, im not a doctor myself but from what my doctors advised me was to take plenty of vitamin C (oranges, lemon etc) and also drink lemonade in warm water with honey, he also told me to try and not take paracetamol (panadol) as that wont stop the sickness from actually going away.. if your body temperature is warmer, you should try and keep warm as this helps to get rid of the bugs that are making you sick, in other words the heat kills the sickness... and also what other symptoms do you have?
Hobbit
This may be a cliche, but eat healthy! Don't drink milk/yogurt as well, that causes boogers, as well as cheese or anything similar. Eat a lot of fruit and drink water. You should also not be indoors all day, cause the infection is lying around the house (spray some lysol!?). The power of the mind is also great, just convince yourself you'll get better, or that you're already better, but don't rely on that too much.

I hope you get better, we don't want a dead forum member. Cool
Panthrowzay
ummn, you have a sinus infection, isnt that really apparent, the spray had enthnol in it so it killed the germs, and what ever else it came in contact with so the clot desoulved heance the blood, what ever you do to cure it will hurt heads up, unless you go to the doctor, im a guy (guys hate doctors prove- shorter lifespan due to lack of doctor visists-) so this is not a casual thing for me to say. Also destroy anything with mold near you.
alkady
Well it turns out that the Wikipedia Solution seemed a bit bogus, But after reading the Yahoo! Answer replies. It turns out that It isnt that serious. Some suggest you should see a doctor because they will irrigate your nose or something like that and so on and so on. Read for yourself.
HoboPelican
Mr Smith wrote:

Three or four days ago, I got given some nasel spray called something, but had extra "kick", (ethanol)... whenever I put it into my nose and sprayed the nostril once, it really stung. In the afternoon I go to blow my nose, and out comes 50% snot, and 50% blood, real blood.

Dude, this is not right. What is the spray? My other half is a pharmacist and I could tell you if that is even a possilbe side effect. If it's really that bad, you need help. Screw the cost and see the doc. Find a free clinic, goto an ER. whatever.

No offense to all the other help here, but get your med advice from a medical professional. It may be expensive, but it's your friggin' health.

(BTW-if you're a cocaine user...well, problem soved.)
munkey_boy
Hobbit wrote:
This may be a cliche, but eat healthy! Don't drink milk/yogurt as well, that causes boogers, as well as cheese or anything similar.

Do you mean dairy products?
mavahntooth
Prayer will help you more than anything else. just trust in God and make your self healthy.
AftershockVibe
heh, I'm no doctor but I'm fairly sure he isn't actually dying!

Your nose is probably the easiest (external) part of your body to make bleed because the blood vessels are so close to the surface.

I'm afraid your just going to have to suck it up (literally, eww) for a few days until it heals.
Marston
DRINK AS MUCH WATER AS YOU CAN.

Seriously, it works.
snowboardude
im not a doctor, but i suggest trying to get the bad stuff out of your body. dring lots eat healthy food, and blow your nose a lot, even though it might hurt, and if it gets too painful, try inhaling a little water (trust me, i've done it, it helps.) but most importantly, don't be scared, youre not gonna die.
Jack_Hammer
Personally I think that, Your not dying your fine you've just had a couple of nose bleeds from shoving something up your nose, just don't use the spray.
Josso
I think you should probably go and see a doctor just in case just for one checkup you know (Free healthcare... we don't have this problem). Your not dying dude but it sounds too serious just to dismiss. That's my advise anyway.
Mr Smith
I am a follower of god, but I never prayed...

The nose has healed... I do drink allot of water (I go biking allot), so what Marston has said might have helped. Not too sure...

Thanks for all of your help, I really do appreciate it. Although I think that the bleeding of the nose could have been a blood vessel popping due to the power of the nasal spray, therefore that would have caused the blood. It never bleed like a blood nose though, so its all weird.

Once again many thanks to everyone.
alkady
Glad to know you are okay Mr. Smith.
rightclickscott
Well, my work of trying to dismiss Religion is done here. Now it's time to go sinning!
NuniPio
HoboPelican wrote:
Mr Smith wrote:

Three or four days ago, I got given some nasel spray called something, but had extra "kick", (ethanol)... whenever I put it into my nose and sprayed the nostril once, it really stung. In the afternoon I go to blow my nose, and out comes 50% snot, and 50% blood, real blood.

Dude, this is not right. What is the spray? My other half is a pharmacist and I could tell you if that is even a possilbe side effect. If it's really that bad, you need help. Screw the cost and see the doc. Find a free clinic, goto an ER. whatever.

No offense to all the other help here, but get your med advice from a medical professional. It may be expensive, but it's your friggin' health.

(BTW-if you're a cocaine user...well, problem soved.)

yea it is possible to get a bleeding nose from the spray.. it happened to me
NuniPio
Hobbit wrote:
This may be a cliche, but eat healthy! Don't drink milk/yogurt as well, that causes boogers, as well as cheese or anything similar. Eat a lot of fruit and drink water. You should also not be indoors all day, cause the infection is lying around the house (spray some lysol!?). The power of the mind is also great, just convince yourself you'll get better, or that you're already better, but don't rely on that too much.

dairy products are quite healthy.. the reason we produce "snot" when we are sick is to get rid of the bad stuff, if we dont produce this how can we get rid of it?? and also keep warm as that would help kill the virus if you are suffering from a viral infection, and as i said earlier take plenty of vitamin C
felisleo
as much as i know nasal sprays have alot of side effects.you might be alergic to some substance in it.as people say you are in serious danger unless you see a doc.gotta get insurance
solarwind
pjv wrote:

Yes. Pray. LOL. LOL. LOL. I ALSO MET god YESTERDAY. Can you believe it?
We had tea in Berlin. Lol. He showed me that I was a good boy, I could go to heaven. Then he showed me his dad and told me never to be like his father. Pray.

Also, where exactly do you live? You seriousy need a doctor. Life is more important than money. Also, not to get too personal, but you can afford to go on the internet but can't afford to go see a doctor? Just call a local medical help phone line and ask for advice. If you tell me where you live, I'll try to help you. Also, drink fresh fruit juice (especially orange juice). Put some vaseline or whatever near or in your nose. Inhale vicks. Take lots of rest. Tell us where you live.
solarwind
NuniPio wrote:
Hobbit wrote:

dairy products are quite healthy.. the reason we produce "snot" when we are sick is to get rid of the bad stuff, if we dont produce this how can we get rid of it?? and also keep warm as that would help kill the virus if you are suffering from a viral infection, and as i said earlier take plenty of vitamin C

So true.
tidruG
Well, since Mr Smith is all better now (cheers, man!), I think I'll lock this to prevent spamming... already can see a couple of posts that don't belong here Wink

-locked-