FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it better to have a forum or not?

zjosie729
I want to have a forum on my site, but I'm not sure if it's good.

Having a forum builds community (a certain article at webdesign.about.com said), but if I don't have lots of visitors and I don't have a lot of people posting on my forum, people will see that my site doesn't have a lot of visitors and they may have second thoughts about somethings.

So what do you think? Should I have a forum or not?
Traveller
Does your site need to build, or even have a community? Without further information about the content and intent of your site, it's difficult to ascertain the need for or desirability of a forum.

Is it a social site? Then you definitely need a forum, since your site is a community.

Is it a support site? Then it's a good idea to have a forum to allow discussion of both problems and suggestions.

Is it an e-store? Then the use of a forum would depend upon what you are selling and how conducive it is to fruitful discussion.

If you decide that a forum would be appropriate, then you must decide upon whether or not to have moderators (and, if so, whom to name as moderators), etc., etc., etc.
selim06
Traveller wrote:
Does your site need to build, or even have a community? Without further information about the content and intent of your site, it's difficult to ascertain the need for or desirability of a forum.

Is it a social site? Then you definitely need a forum, since your site is a community.

Is it a support site? Then it's a good idea to have a forum to allow discussion of both problems and suggestions.

Is it an e-store? Then the use of a forum would depend upon what you are selling and how conducive it is to fruitful discussion.

If you decide that a forum would be appropriate, then you must decide upon whether or not to have moderators (and, if so, whom to name as moderators), etc., etc., etc.

Traveller don't you think it's the wrong forum?Is it a computer program Very Happy anyway
If you have a social site create the forum.But your forum should interests about a special think for activity I think.Because there are too many forums and people don't look up for new general forums.
juegos
if i go to a internet site ... is not for see how many ppl are registered or loged in ... is to see the content of the site.
So, if u need a forum, just install, generaly is a good idea if ur insteresed in talk with ur users.
elyah_ariel
zjosie729 wrote:
I want to have a forum on my site, but I'm not sure if it's good.

Having a forum builds community (a certain article at webdesign.about.com said), but if I don't have lots of visitors and I don't have a lot of people posting on my forum, people will see that my site doesn't have a lot of visitors and they may have second thoughts about somethings.

So what do you think? Should I have a forum or not?

I've a forum phpBB too, tranonkala.monforum.fr
I think it's a good way to share your ideas and get some opinions about various topics, but the main risk is that people can post any spams and undesired messages if you haven't moderators or if you can't take care of it sometimes... In my opinion, computer forum are most visited than others, more than social forums. It depends truely on topics you want to present.
jwellsy
If you are running a site that has adsense ads on it
I would say that anything that increases page views is a good thing
and I would go ahead and try the forum to test adsense revenue.

If it is a non-profit site, then you have nothing to loose by trying it.

If it is a commercial site where you are selling something,
then I would suggest that a blog with monitored comments
or a feedback form/FAQ page
would be better choices for reader input/interaction.
zjosie729
jwellsy wrote:

If it is a commercial site where you are selling something,
then I would suggest that a blog with monitored comments
or a feedback form/FAQ page
would be better choices for reader input/interaction.

I think a feedback form would limit their answers to be from me, and me only. But with something like a forum they could get answers from other visitors.