FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any John Woo fans?

mceejaydee
I love his work. Wondering if anybody else here likes any of his movies?
HoboPelican
mceejaydee wrote:
I love his work. Wondering if anybody else here likes any of his movies?

Well, I thought this would get more response....
I didn't like Face/Off, Hard target or Broken Arrow, but I loved Paycheck and the Replacement Killlers.

Ihave to admit, though, that my not liking the first 3 might have been due to my dislike of Travolta and Van Damme.
Devang
I liked his movie Face Off very much.

Then came Mission Impossible - II. He is very good at directing action movies.
HoboPelican
Devang wrote:
I liked his movie Face Off very much.

Then came Mission Impossible - II. He is very good at directing action movies.

Oh yeah, I forgot that I didn't like that one either. Hate Tom cruise. Laughing

I agree, he has a great feel for action, but , why does John Woo keep hiring actors I can't stand. Laughing
mceejaydee
How bout his asian films Razz Like The Killer and Hard Boiled.
HoboPelican
mceejaydee wrote:
How bout his asian films Razz Like The Killer and Hard Boiled.

Yeah, I forgot about those, but they were very good also. Yun-Fat Chow seems to be at his best working with Woo.
trickstott
I really enjoyed the Killer and Hard Boiled, but my favorite of his films is Bullet in the Head. It really is excellent. Mostly it is an excellent bunch of action sequences, but it also contains the occasional dramatically moving scene, and that is something that John Woo is not very good at.

John Woo directs guns, not people. In this movie he does a good job with both.
GProject
I really like Face/Off - yeah it's a stupid action movie, but it's one of the better ones. Also I enjoyed Broken Arrow, but watching it again recently kinda highlighted all its flaws. It had a good score though.
Mr. McCoy
Naaah.. dont realy like his films...
Windtalkers for example, I think it sucked Sad
inman
Those who dont like John Woo films are perhaps considering his hollywood trashes only. Before joining Van Damme in Hard Target, Woo made some real classic Hong Kong action movies.

His A Better Tomorrow created an impact in film industry and among general public. And that time the youngsters were trying to imitate Chow Yun Fat's black coat and sun glasses. There were also quite a few TV ads that imitated CYF's character.

Then came bunch of shoot out classics. The best of Woo movies were The Killer. It had a touching story line, visualised with some of the best shootout scenes ever. The grand finale inside the church is an example of Woo's creativity. I really miss them in his hollywood movies.
em0o
i like his movies but he sure has a big thing with doves. Face/off, The killer all have them in some church scene. It certainly gives scenes a dramatic effect but i have got to say it has to be one of favorite to include it in a number of his movies.