FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ringtone adults cant hear

balend
http://mosqtone.blogspot.com/

wat do you think about it
intekmdma
I do not get how this works? And this sounds like when yoyo and slammers/poggies were first introduced at schools. It's like a wave, but you can get caught by it. I need some feed back on this one! i'm 20 and I can hear an annoying high pitch? How about everyone else?
S3nd K3ys
balend wrote:

mosqtone wrote:

Students are using a new ring tone to receive messages in class, and many teachers can't even hear the ring.

I think it's called "vibrate mode" Laughing Laughing Laughing
Subsonic Sound
You lose 1kHz off the top of your hearing range for every 10 years of life, on average, so a tone at around 18-19kHz would be audible to students, but not the teachers.

I've not visited the link, that's just my guess. Smile
TeenZine
Thats a cool ring tone to bad I dont text durrning class. Smile But I like another ring tone I have more IT says " RING RING PICK UP THE ****ing Phone It'S your Mother in Law ....SO Pick it up
mceejaydee
intekmdma wrote:
I do not get how this works? And this sounds like when yoyo and slammers/poggies were first introduced at schools. It's like a wave, but you can get caught by it. I need some feed back on this one! i'm 20 and I can hear an annoying high pitch? How about everyone else?

Hurts my ears. I think you have to be older then 20 to be an "adult" in this manner. I'm going to test it on my parents tonight. Razz
roadruner
well the weird thing is i played it to my grandma and she heard it Razz

so this probably means my grandma is a supergranny Very Happy
guess it doesn't work for all of the old ones :/
bdoneck
Thats very cool and funny as well, but I would never be able to listen to that every time I received a text message or was called. It's way too high pitched and it hurts
Marston
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Pwnd.
Mithrandir
I think its a pretty neat idea but my mom says she can still hear it (however I doubt her truth, I never actually tested her she just claims to be able to hear it). I wouldn't have it on my phone though.
Hobbit
This is kinda pointless in my opinion. Why not put it in vibrate? They still won't hear. At least that works for me (I don't text very often though).
Mr Smith
TeenZine wrote:
Thats a cool ring tone to bad I dont text durrning class. :-) But I like another ring tone I have more IT says " RING RING PICK UP THE ****ing Phone It'S your Mother in Law ....SO Pick it up

I also have one like that, although its on a soft toy :\
paul_indo
I'm 40 and I can hear it so it isn't really that effective.
Maybe I have good hearing from all the loud rock music that was supposed to make me deaf.
LostOverThere
My mum cant hear it, I can.

Its just like a soft buzz.
hunnyhiteshseth
Great, I tested it, my mom & grandmother cant hear it.
Ducksteina
I can hear it, but it hurts! Way too high pitched and annoying. Won't use it - I'd get a headache from that Razz
Thatguy
It sounds like the buzzing a tv makes when it's on. I'm 21 and I can still hear it perfectly.
TurkishGamer
It was on the news a few days ago. I was amazed because before I heard about this, I had an incident where I heard a buzzing noise from the tv that nobody else in my family heard and I just thought my hearing was too powerful and that theirs wasn't good enough to hear it.
CyanEyed
iv heard of the mosquito but this is the first ive heard of the ringtone and...its wicked. no one in my family heard it except one sister and she couldnt stand it for more that 3 seconds ( Twisted Evil good repellent Twisted Evil )

S3nd K3ys wrote:

If the teacher is close by they can still hear it vibrate - the mosquito goes around that
nilsmo
Digg had a link to a New York Times story about it a while ago. http://digg.com/technology/A_Ring_Tone_That_Adults_Cannot_Hear_(with_MP3)
For the login, go to bugmenot: http://www.bugmenot.com/view/www.nytimes.com

The article says that most young people can hear high pitched sounds but most older people are completely deaf to them. Pretty cool...
eku53ru
When I first read about this, it was in the editorial section of a local newspaper. I thought they were joking when they mentioned this. Heh. It is pretty cool nonetheless, though (though sadly, my phone won't take MP3s as ringtones - or at least this one won't). XD
jazrt
I'm 38 and I heard it.
I have sensitive hearing though.
When I'm at painting and have a large group around me. I can hear people whispering and what they're saying even though there could be 4 to 5 or maybe a little more metres away. and repeat back to them what they said. Which they look a little surprised, that I had picked up on what they had said.
schudder
My mom turns 46 today and she can still clearly hear it - but only if she actually turns her attention to it, I don't know if she'd hear it if she wasn't actually listening for it.

I, however, being 18, can hear it perfectly. In fact, I can quite easily hear sounds that are a khz or 3 higher.
chargoyle
Yeah it's not completely accurate that "adults can't hear it." I tested it on 10 people over 30 and half of them could hear it. I told them to tell me when they heard a noise and they couldn't see when I turned it on or off and half of them still could hear when it was on. Besides, this is a good idea, I suppose, but if you're one of the kids whose phone goes off every five minutes from a text message, won't all the kids around you want to kill you before too long because that's a really annoying sound.
heady233
mceejaydee wrote:
intekmdma wrote:

Hurts my ears. I think you have to be older then 20 to be an "adult" in this manner. I'm going to test it on my parents tonight. Razz
I'm 11 and can here it, IT'S ANNOYING!!! Also, my 23 year-old babysitter can hear it and say when it goes off and on. But my 37 year old mom can't. We use it as our signal in our neighborhood now. Twisted Evil
Blaster
Yea in my school people do it all the time. We just keep it on vibrate. Two kids where litterly calling each other durning standeredized testing.
lors
I'm almost 40 and I could hear it just fine, so I doubt it will get by parents and teachers.
hack_man_
I downloaded it and could hear it, my parents couldn't hear it, so they naturally thought that it was a hoax. All the young uns in the house and all my friends could hear it but the adults could not... so far so good.

I tried it on everyone and the results were as they should. I tried putting up the volume up as loud as my speakers could go to see if anyone could hear it who couldn't hear it before because of the high volume. Then the strangest thing happened...

I was not bothered to test it on my grandparents who were visiting at the time . Seeing how a 40yr old couldn't hear it, an 89yr old granny would definately not hear it. She is next to tone deaf anyway, so it would be pointless.

Whilst cranking up the volume, I heard a creaky voice shout up the hallway coming from my grandma's room at the other end of the house... "What is that infernal racket!?!?!"

Creepy... Eh?
Blaster
hmm i tried it on my dad. It seems to work. Now that is just strange. Especially if your grandmom could here it. I think it has to do with kids being able to hear higher sounds then adults. Because that was at a very high pitch.
Garethm1976
Ok i got this, I am 30 years old I heard it !! It actually hurts my ears and my eyes when listening to it. It sounds very much like white noise to me but hey !! Very Happy
Kaisonic
I actually downloaded this a while ago after hearing it elsewhere. It's really weird. I haven't checked the link, but if you want to download it, and it's not there, it's here.
Underlined
Conclusion; It's annoying and doesn't do what it says on the tin. Agreed?
byt
having listed this on another forum of mainly older folk I can say that 90% of over 35's couldn't hear it but the other 10% could??????

my kids heard it but each described it differently, everything from "really annoying yuk" to " a bit like a jet engine"?????

personally I couldn't hear a thing Confused
Mental2k
Far more interesting are the frequencies that can make you soil youself, and another which can make women orgasm, faaaaaaaaar more fun, only i think the orgasm one can only be created by one particular type of synth, has to be played pretty loud and only works on some women(sorry all you ladies who were lookin forward to an mp3).

I think the brown note(the one that makes you soil yourself may require some hefty amps)

While doin a little research for this post I came across a post on another forum on which a guys thinks he may have accidently created a puke note, check out the link here http://www.geocities.com/keirkegeerd/ax84/el84m_7189.mp3 once again i have not yet tried this but it may need some decent sound equipment, however if it works methinks i'll have some fun with it.
aakwa
haha honestly that is really interesting. Dont you ever wonder how the music generations change how they do? I'n just 10 years its something totally different!
meet in rio
I can't remember where they're doing it, but I heard that they were using high frequencies to deter "youths" from "loitering" in public places.

Possibly complete bull, but quite funny.
cfackler
I hear it and it drives my little brother crazy. My mom says she hears it, but I don't believe her.
Jeslyn
I heard it and didn't even download it. That's how crazy my hearing is.
/True Story
Balthamos
Sounds pretty cool. Wondering if actually works. My dad said he could hear it, but I don't think he was listening to me at the time and just gave me the "yea, I don't care" type of answers Smile.

~Balthamos
statusfashions
hey i read it in a local news paper some days back.
they had produced a report on how they tested it in several colleges and offices...
according to them the said tone is 95 % accurate...
sounds very interesting....
but hey why would i use that ringtone...
only when you are in collg.. then its useful but i had just finished the college last year and have no intention to go back there...Smile
a nice find though
regards,
Scott
That's pretty neat, I hate how some stores use the sound to drive away teenagers.

TeenZine
I didn't here about them driving teenagers away with it MEAN.
SusieSmacktard
I heard it. It's one of the most irritating things I've ever heard. I'm 28, so I'm wondering how old one has to be to not hear this thing...
Zug Zug
I don't like it lol. it hurts! Rolling Eyes
elcyron
Zug Zug wrote:
I don't like it lol. it hurts! Rolling Eyes

yeah, that's why they use the same technologie to scare kids away;)

sound strange, but the sound made my eyes burn...
EVILSKAAP
balend wrote:

Did not go to that link, because i read it somewhere else. Its pretty cool, if you have a ver nice audio program, you can change the frequency of, say a wave ringtone, im going to try it, i think the best would be in the 17kHz region.

Njoy
whplace
I heard it last week ........... Its damn cool ........... my mom couldnt hear it!!!!!!!11

Wow its a neat stuff you know ...........

whplace