FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A Warm Memory

poet
The house is a two story set into the side of a hill. There are trees all around and a little pond with an old wooden dock on the other side of the hill. The second story porch looks out over the hill and pond to the east. My grandmother has awoken before dawn again this morning. This is normal for her it seems. She gets up and gets a cup of hot tea, grabs an old comfy jacket, and slowly makes her way up the stairs to sit out on the porch swing. This is when she feels the most relaxed. Her husband is still sleeping, and is still quiet around the house.

As she sits on the front porch, she looks out across the yard. It is a bit nippy outside, as it is now autumn. The leaves on the tress have turned brilliant shades of reds, oranges, and yellows. Is twilight out now, as she sits sipping her tea. She sees the squirrels gathering their food for winter, and hears the whippoorwill and morning doves singing their morning songs. The bullfrogs are croaking loudly on the banks of the pond, and she can hear a few of the fish jumping trying to catch their morning breakfast. All these sites are lovely to her, nature at some of it's best, but she is waiting patiently for one particular moment.

After some time, just as the sun begins to come up over the horizon, that moment has come. Down on the far side of the hill 3 deer slowly emerge from the trees on the other side of the gravel road. They cross over to the waters edge and stand. A doe, a buck and a fawn, just losing it's spots, drink from the waters edge.

Just sitting here, taking in all that nature has to offer this beautiful morning, she feels her best. For it's scenes like this that fill her heart and soul with calmness and love like no other.

She continues to sit here a while longer, and then hears her husband up and moving about. He is preparing for another day of piddling out in the workshop, while she sits and does what she loves to do, make barbie doll furniture for her grand kids. She says a little prayer, then get up and slowly makes her way back downstairs. Here she greets her husband with a kiss and an "I Love You".
poet
Sitting here on this crisp morning in late Spring, I look out at the wonders that surround me. Im sitting on the banks of a lake set in a valley between the high cliffs and majestic mountain tops.

Although the grass is a new fresh light green on the tops of the cliffs and hill sides, the tops of the mountains are still packed with now melting snow. There is a herd of goats grazing atop one of the hillsides. A few of them butting horns, sending echos throughout the valley below. The kids are hopping about exploring the land that is new to them.

The water from the melting snow flows into gently flowing streams that empty into the lake below in the form of great waterfalls. The sun has just topped the horizon on the far side of the lake, casting reflections of the red, yellow and orange sky into the water. There is a light misty fog that is gently rolling off the water, ready to disappear for the day.

Along the banks of this hidden lake grows a variety of evergreens, with their dark green branches of needles glistening with the early morning dew. Nesting in the branches of these trees are pairs of birds singing their songs of praise, to the world. Swimming along the clumps of tall grasses and wild flowers are geese that have returned after a long winter, and are now followed by their goslings. They glide through the icy cold water, dipping their heads underneath from time to time, to catch a bit of breakfast.

As I take in these wondrous sites I can not help but to close my eyes for a while and thank the Lord for this special gift he has given to me. This is a place I will always hold dear to my hear, if only in my dreams.
poet
These two are earlier writings some 6 years ago hope you enjoyed!

poet wrote:
Sitting here on this crisp morning in late Spring, I look out at the wonders that surround me. Im sitting on the banks of a lake set in a valley between the high cliffs and majestic mountain tops.

Although the grass is a new fresh light green on the tops of the cliffs and hill sides, the tops of the mountains are still packed with now melting snow. There is a herd of goats grazing atop one of the hillsides. A few of them butting horns, sending echos throughout the valley below. The kids are hopping about exploring the land that is new to them.

The water from the melting snow flows into gently flowing streams that empty into the lake below in the form of great waterfalls. The sun has just topped the horizon on the far side of the lake, casting reflections of the red, yellow and orange sky into the water. There is a light misty fog that is gently rolling off the water, ready to disappear for the day.

Along the banks of this hidden lake grows a variety of evergreens, with their dark green branches of needles glistening with the early morning dew. Nesting in the branches of these trees are pairs of birds singing their songs of praise, to the world. Swimming along the clumps of tall grasses and wild flowers are geese that have returned after a long winter, and are now followed by their goslings. They glide through the icy cold water, dipping their heads underneath from time to time, to catch a bit of breakfast.

As I take in these wondrous sites I can not help but to close my eyes for a while and thank the Lord for this special gift he has given to me. This is a place I will always hold dear to my hear, if only in my dreams.
poet
Dancin' on the steps of life
I look around at where my life
has led me. Choices good and bad,
none I would take back. Lookin' down
the steps only a few up with a
lot more to go. What awaits me at
the next one, a hole, carpet, or
will it be just another step
in just another day. A few
steps up I see a child waiting to
follow me the rest of the way up
my steps until they are ready to
go up steps on their own. One day
I will reach the top of my steps,
but right I don't even see
where they end, These stairs of my Life!