FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google to launch GBuy

surdy
Here is some serious competition for e-bay as Google plans to launch GBuy.

Quote:
Google is preparing to launch an online payment system dubbed GBuy on 28 June, financial analysts with RBC Capital Markets claimed in a research note.
The service would allow online merchants to handle consumer transactions. Over time it could expand to include consumer to consumer transactions as well, the firm noted.
Google said in an emailed statement to vnunet.com that it has "nothing specific to announce at this time". The company typically does not comment on products before they are officially released.
GBuy is set to compete head on with eBay's PayPal service. RBC suggested that it will be free during the initial test phase and is expected to start charging a transaction fee of 1.5 to two per cent at a later stage....(more)

Source : http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2158115/upcoming-google-gbuy

I hope that this turns out to be a big step in breaking the monoply of E-bay and the users get some benifit from the competition
Cheerz
kronso.23
The name even sounds an awful lot like Ebay... sounds like they might even host some kind of auction thing later on... it's always a possibility with google. They just keep pumping out new gagdets and miscellaneous services... That's crazy though, I never would have expected that. Google is so intrusive with your privacy though... I wouldn't trust them Wink.
selim06
G-BUY?may be but I think they should create a original one and I hope so they will stop Ebay's domination on the internet.
pokethamage
lol FINALLY google's looking into the shopping universe...
ogio28
its starting to look like the only thing that they need to tackle is gaming...which im sure in due time we;ll have like google arcade or some "witty" name for it
novisdesign
I think im starting to dislike Google.
lukeropro
lol...Gbuy!? First google video, then gbuy!?
billybob
Quote:
To provide merchants with an incentive to join the service, stores accepting GBuy payments will be listed as 'Trusted GBuy Merchant' in Google's search results.

Not a bad incentive I guess Rolling Eyes
exarkun
selim06 wrote:
G-BUY?may be but I think they should create a original one and I hope so they will stop Ebay's domination on the internet.

I agree on this. First a gmail to let people think that it is different from traditional email. Then now this Gbuy!? I think they are quite good at teaching old dogs new tricks.
jayandsilo
are they going to have ones for each country?
izcool
Heh, this doesn't actually surprise me one bit. They have Google Video (to compete against YouTube, which I think was created by eBay staff members), they have Google Spreadsheets (to compete mainly with Microsoft Excel, Corel's Quattro Pro, amongst other spreadsheet programs), Google Mail (to compete with Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, etc), and other various programs that competitors are doing really well in.

I read online that Google tests, tests, tests, and continiously tests their projects before ever letting them out of Beta stages.

I remember reading on here before that they were going to compete against PayPal (an eBay company) with an online payment system, and somehow the bottom dropped out on that.

Now that I'm hearing that Google is going to compete with eBay doesn't exactly surprise me one bit.

Microsoft started a program called Windows Live Expo, which is competing against Craigslist. Hmm... It seems like a huge program and project war against all of these bigger computer companies.

- Mike.
pckid2
Not surprising at all, Google will soon be such a large company, maybe it will rival Microsoft (I wouldn't be surprised if they realeased an OS, GWindows maybe?)

I'm sure that tonnes of people would use it, most people use google, so most people would use G-Buy.
gh0stface
pckid2 wrote:
Not surprising at all, Google will soon be such a large company, maybe it will rival Microsoft (I wouldn't be surprised if they realeased an OS, GWindows maybe?)

I'm sure that tonnes of people would use it, most people use google, so most people would use G-Buy.

They're already working on a linux based OS using Ubuntu. It's suppose to be called Gubuntu or something like that. So that base is already covered Wink
achowles
Paypal personal accounts don't feature charges for transactions. That said I don't like Paypal and have experienced a few serious problems with them. I think that I'd be happy to switch, but it doesn't seem to be offering any kinds of incentives for doing so apart from 'not being Paypal'.

Hmm...
caroline
It’s not GBuy, it’s “Google Checkout”! Smile
Anyways I think the idea is pretty neat but why are they confining everything to inside the US?!??!??!
{name here}
Well, I can't see how it would fail with so many people relying on google for everything...