FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Chip Break Speed Record

faker
Quote:
IBM and the Georgia Institute of Technology announced today that their researchers have demonstrated the first silicon-based chip capable of operating at frequencies above 500 GHz -- 500 billion cycles per second -- by cryogenically “freezing” the chip to 451 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (4.5 Kelvins). Such extremely cold temperatures are found naturally only in outer space, but can be artificially achieved on Earth using ultra-cold materials such as liquid helium. (Absolute Zero, the coldest possible temperature in nature, occurs at minus 459.67 degrees Fahrenheit).

By comparison, 500 GHz is more than 250 times faster than today's cell phones, which typically operate at approximately 2 GHz. Computer simulations suggest that the silicon-germanium (SiGe) technology used in the chip could ultimately support even higher (near-TeraHertz – 1,000 GHz) operational frequencies even at room temperature.

View: Photos
View: Video
News source: IBM

From Neowin.Net. Can't imagine what will happen in the next 10 years
Jack_Hammer
I want one!, lol. I have no idea what the future holds for us, though I doubt it will be anything majorly dramatic everything will slowly keep advancing and improving the wat they always have.
Wink
snowboardude
impressive
alkady
*Drowling...Uhhhhhhhhh I got to get one of those. Imagine how fast you can install programs, Start & Shut Windows. Play games smoothly and so on.

Imagine downloading you know faster than the speed of light.
faker
imagine putting that chip onto a graphic card and imagine the power it can produce. Still maybe 10-20 years later @@
Vrythramax
Shocked and I thought I had overheating troubles! I hope I'm around to see a viable commercial version.....that would be sweet.
maclui
[quote="faker"]
Quote:

By comparison, 500 GHz is more than 250 times faster than today's cell phones, which typically operate at approximately 2 GHz.

I did not know that my cellphone is faster than my desktop computer, which is a AMD 64BIT 3200 @1.8Ghz.
HoboPelican
Great, now I'm gonna have to have liquid helium delivered to my house. The wife is gonna love that! Sad
On the up side, as it boils off we can laugh for hours in our squeaky new voices Laughing
dexterius
LOL, that info about 2GHz cell phone was really funny, the author probably knows nothing about what he writes. But it is really nice achievement, 500 GHz is great, only problem is that all others PC components are so show that this would not improve anything Laughing