FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how can one learn English?

webbers
Here are some tips which may help you to master the English Language!

Speak without Fear

The biggest problem most people face in learning a new language is their own fear. They worry that they won’t say things correctly or that they will look stupid so they don’t talk at all. Don’t do this. The fastest way to learn anything is to do it – again and again until you get it right. Like anything, learning English requires practice. Don’t let a little fear stop you from getting what you want.

Use all of your Resources

Even if you study English at a language school it doesn’t mean you can’t learn outside of class. Using as many different sources, methods and tools as possible, will allow you to learn faster. There are many different ways you can improve your English, so don’t limit yourself to only one or two. The internet is a fantastic resource for virtually anything, but for the language learner it's perfect.

Surround Yourself with English

The absolute best way to learn English is to surround yourself with it. Take notes in English, put English books around your room, listen to English language radio broadcasts, watch English news, movies and television. Speak English with your friends whenever you can. The more English material that you have around you, the faster you will learn and the more likely it is that you will begin “thinking in English.” .

Listen to Native Speakers as Much as Possible

There are some good English teachers that have had to learn English as a second language before they could teach it. However, there are several reasons why many of the best schools prefer to hire native English speakers. One of the reasons is that native speakers have a natural flow to their speech that students of English should try to imitate. The closer ESL / EFL students can get to this rhythm or flow, the more convincing and comfortable they will become.

Watch English Films and Television

This is not only a fun way to learn but it is also very effective. By watching English films (especially those with English subtitles) you can expand your vocabulary and hear the flow of speech from the actors. If you listen to the news you can also hear different accents.

Listen to English Music

Music can be a very effective method of learning English. In fact, it is often used as a way of improving comprehension. The best way to learn though, is to get the lyrics (words) to the songs you are listening to and try to read them as the artist sings. There are several good internet sites where one can find the words for most songs. This way you can practice your listening and reading at the same time. And if you like to sing, fine.

Study As Often As Possible!

Only by studying things like grammar and vocabulary and doing exercises, can you really improve your knowledge of any language.

Do Exercises and Take Tests

Many people think that exercises and tests aren't much fun. However, by completing exercises and taking tests you can really improve your English. One of the best reasons for doing lots of exercises and tests is that they give you a benchmark to compare your future results with. Often, it is by comparing your score on a test you took yesterday with one you took a month or six months ago that you realize just how much you have learned. If you never test yourself, you will never know how much you are progressing. Start now by doing some of the many exercises and tests on this site, and return in a few days to see what you've learned. Keep doing this and you really will make some progress with English.

Record Yourself

Nobody likes to hear their own voice on tape but like tests, it is good to compare your tapes from time to time. You may be so impressed with the progress you are making that you may not mind the sound of your voice as much.

Listen to English

By this, we mean, speak on the phone or listen to radio broadcasts, audiobooks or CDs in English. This is different than watching the television or films because you can’t see the person that is speaking to you. Many learners of English say that speaking on the phone is one of the most difficult things that they do and the only way to improve is to practice.

Finally

Have fun!

Source(s):
http://www.world-english.org/

http://www.owls.co.za/english

www.word2word.com/course.html

http://www.learnenglish.de/
Nikkori
Thanks for the tips. Reading Harry Potter series really improved my english since it has so many rare words that are difficult for us, Filipinos.. Laughing
ocalhoun
I find a good way to help learn any language is to read children's books in that language and move to progressively more difficult books. Unfortunately, it's hard to find children's books in the language I'm working on; latin. It worked well for spanish, however.

By the way, [back seat moderating] use quote tags if you copy and paste things [/back seat moderating].
ddukki
Actually, one of my friend's brothers learned all his basic english grammar and vocabulary from watching Pokemon. He was around 5 or 6, but he caught on pretty quick. It doesn't take a lot of effort, just a lot of patience and the right surroundings. Take a trip to America or England. Hell, I learned most of my Korean from 9 months in Seoul.
funnybrot
Thanks for your tips, but if you hadn't lived in an english speaking country you couldn't have spoken english all the time, can you.
And you actually can't souround yourself with english if you don't live in usa, g.b. or australian etc. Because there's no english television and no native spaeker.

So what could people, who don't live in the us, do to improve there (english) language skills?
angelussum
reading is a good way to practice, but there's more to knowing a language besides reading. talking is important, so find other ppl who want to learn and try it. maybe locate some 'english' people and talk to them.

practicing writing is important as well. maybe try to keep a blog in english to learn new words for everyday use.
Caroli
I think it is always a problem of the purpose.
I travel normally only in countries, in which English is only a foreign language. There it is for example much better not to speak too good English, because they do not understand you. So my uncle with his perfect pronounciation and his thousand formulas of politeness had more problem of being understood in Egypt than my parents with their "denglish" (The waiter understoods it better if I say "I want a steak" or "For me too" than if you use the two kilometres of formulations of a school book). Also I learned to use German pronounciation and German Grammar, because it is more similar to Arabic than the English sounding.
Second the most languages I learned for reading scientific essays and books. So for example I can only read French, but I cannot understand if somebody speaks it, also I cannot write or pronounce it.
Sappho
funnybrot wrote:
Thanks for your tips, but if you hadn't lived in an english speaking country you couldn't have spoken english all the time, can you.
And you actually can't souround yourself with english if you don't live in usa, g.b. or australian etc. Because there's no english television and no native spaeker.

So what could people, who don't live in the us, do to improve there (english) language skills?

I would suggest looking up on the internet, i dont think it will be much of a problem to get some english movies or even english internet radio...

Caroli wrote:
I think it is always a problem of the purpose.
I travel normally only in countries, in which English is only a foreign language. There it is for example much better not to speak too good English, because they do not understand you. So my uncle with his perfect pronounciation and his thousand formulas of politeness had more problem of being understood in Egypt than my parents with their "denglish" (The waiter understoods it better if I say "I want a steak" or "For me too" than if you use the two kilometres of formulations of a school book). Also I learned to use German pronounciation and German Grammar, because it is more similar to Arabic than the English sounding.

So you are saying that we shouldn't develop our language skills to the native level? Lol, so at the end we can break even the most complicated languages out there to very simple phrases, verbs without conjugation, forget synonyms and it would be even better to write it all down in phonetic syllables so we dont have to guess how to pronounce it. Wink

Caroli wrote:
Second the most languages I learned for reading scientific essays and books. So for example I can only read French, but I cannot understand if somebody speaks it, also I cannot write or pronounce it.

Yep this is pretty common, for example i can understand German when someone is talking to me but i can hardly read any, just couse i used to watch German TV a lot when i was young. At the other hand my Japanese is almost the opposite, for example i can read Kanji but i don't know most of the on-reading pronounciations and therefore i have even problems with some spoken compound words whereas i have no problem with kun-reading.
Caroli
Sappho wrote:
So you are saying that we shouldn't develop our language skills to the native level? Lol, so at the end we can break even the most complicated languages out there to very simple phrases, verbs without conjugation, forget synonyms and it would be even better to write it all down in phonetic syllables so we dont have to guess how to pronounce it. Wink

Meanly I mean, that you do not always need the native skill for every language you. It needs much time to learn a language as perfect as a native linguistic professor. But you do not always have the time for this. Especially if you need more than one language. When I began to write my dissertation I needed to learn French and Italian, but did not have much time for this. So I took expecially in Italian only a short grammar for one afternoon and thereafter I read the first essay with a small dictionary. Because I learned Latin in school I cann guess many words and some small words (like for "but"...) I learned when I met them the fifth time. If you want only to read a text there is also the advantage, that the most languages write more or less etymologically. So the French language differs in the pronounciation very strongly, but it possible to read it basing on the Latin language (similar also Ancient and Modern Greek).
And some languages you do not need to learn directely, if you want to read some texts, because they are similar to others like Dutch to German or Yiddish mainly to German with Hebrew elements, of which some survived also in the Rotwelsch.
Then you told every language should written like spoken. But except the problem of finding etymological parallels for example in French there would be the problem, that there many ways of pronouncing the letters. So you told you can understand spoken German, but not written. But the German language is one of the languages, which works (in opposite to English and French) mainly according to the principle "write as you speak")
Sappho
Caroli wrote:
So you told you can understand spoken German, but not written. But the German language is one of the languages, which works (in opposite to English and French) mainly according to the principle "write as you speak")

I guess you are right but nevertheless i still have problem with it, maybe its just me Smile

I always thought that Slovak language is pretty easy and also "write as you speak" type of language but everywhere i go they keep telling me that my native language is one of the hardest to learn for a foreigner. I wonder why. Rolling Eyes

I agree that it would be hard to write down all the languages simply with phonetics since there are really a lot of homonyms in some languages and it would be needed to write down even the intonation changes. Sad
Caroli
Sappho wrote:
I always thought that Slovak language is pretty easy and also "write as you speak" type of language but everywhere i go they keep telling me that my native language is one of the hardest to learn for a foreigner. I wonder why. Rolling Eyes

I do not know your language, but I think it is a Slavish language, which is very different to the Roman and Germanic languages. It is always difficult to learn a language of a different family, because the relations of the words and the grammar do not more exist.
For example I learned in the school first Latin. It is related with German, so I could learn it good. With Latin it is quiet easy to learn other languages, because the vocabulary and the grammar are similar. The last language I learned on school was Bible Hebrew. It had a total different grammar and vocabulary. Because I had a good teacher I learned the grammar, but till today I have problems to learn Semeitic vocabulary and forget it again very soon. But the Hebrew was again a great help for me, when I tried to lern Arabic, because the grammar bases on the same principles and the vocabulary is a little bit similar.
kazoe
Basically I'm doing all those kind of stuff right now, including like writing and stuff. I always put disclaimer on it like 'english is not my first language so be wary of weird sentence structure'. But at least I'm seeing my improvement. I'm kind of reviewing my english lessons (read:from my high school book.) because I'm too lazy to study English when I was a student, thinking that I'm better off with just reading and drawing alone.

And of course, being into communities and forums like this sharpens the english communication skills.
simp
read until your eyes burn.
listen until your ears buzz.
speak when you have something to say.
then do it all again and again.