FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Rasterbations

Thatguy
Who here has ever done a rasterbation? I think they are awesome. In fact, I just finished one today. If you want to make some, you can for free at http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

This is when I first got it home from being printed at Kinko's.

And finally, I got it trimmed and taped to my wall:

Discuss rasterbations and how cool they are.
izcool
That service looks interesting (I'm always on the lookout for new things on the web, and that's one of them), and no, I've never tried them before.

By the way, I love that movie - "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Wink

- Mike.
myrevolt
A few things, that movie messed me up Razz Second what exactly is this, like a photomontage? Hmm... and thirdly the name...they should've picked a name that could be confused with Twisted Evil Wink
Thatguy
That movie was awesome. Very Happy

It's basically taking an image and splitting it between sheets of A4 sized paper. It's a way to make huge pictures (like 1000's of pages) very cheaply, but still a very nice quality. You can also make color rasterizations, but it is way more expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasterbate
Jaiye
so I just prepared a picture into a rasterbated pdf. It's 1.83 gigs and 153 pages.

Questions: can kinkos read the pdf off a burnt dvd

and god damn, how much is that going to cost me ( in color)
mafia3
nice service... . but the size... Sad
Thatguy
Jaiye wrote:
so I just prepared a picture into a rasterbated pdf. It's 1.83 gigs and 153 pages.

Questions: can kinkos read the pdf off a burnt dvd

and god damn, how much is that going to cost me ( in color)

Yea, they can read the .pdf files. It cost me $0.08 a page in black and white, and I think they said $0.83 a page for color.
Jaiye
well, after two trips to kinkos, right now at 5am I just got this up. Them having a 36" printer made me feel like I was cheating though.

http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn32015rj.jpg
faker
interesting indeed too bad i don't have the time for that, i'd rather go watch the world cup matches
snowboardude
this can be easily done with you printer.

its called tiling, and i've done it multiple times for school projects.

not exactly the most difficult stuff in the world.

also, you can just blow the image up to 20x legal size, and print it, and the program will chop it up for you.

then, finally, you can just go to a printing place and have them make you a poster for 2.99+tax
Josso
Yeah I've seen people do this before. I put the site under my favourites... I'm going to make some posters for my room Very Happy
dz9c
eh sorry dont have that much ink or money for ink!
alkady
Oh Rasterbation, I thought someone wanted to talk about....Nevermind.
At first I thought Rasterbation was some sort of Group or Band or something jugding by the images, But after reading along it finally came to my head.

It looks interesting as a Concept and must cost a fortune to make these things especially in High Quality. It would have been Cheaper probably to just get the $11.99 Poster.
Thatguy
alkady wrote:
At first I thought Rasterbation was some sort of Group or Band or something jugding by the images, But after reading along it finally came to my head.

It looks interesting as a Concept and must cost a fortune to make these things especially in High Quality. It would have been Cheaper probably to just get the $11.99 Poster.

But you can't get posters in the sizes you can make these. 1000"+ pictures. Plus it isn't expensive if you go to a copy place. It's usually around $.05-$.08 a page, so under $3 for 42"x66" picture.
alkady
Thatguy wrote:
alkady wrote:

But you can't get posters in the sizes you can make these. 1000"+ pictures. Plus it isn't expensive if you go to a copy place. It's usually around $.05-$.08 a page, so under $3 for 42"x66" picture.

That technique is cool, But you have to remember that because your using a dense amount of ink, It can cause problems especially if you arent careful. It can spread when still wet and ruin everything. Plus the paper isnt like the poster type. But I do have to admit, A poster with the size of 1000 Sheet is amazing. I am going to use that technique someday.
Thatguy
alkady wrote:
That technique is cool, But you have to remember that because your using a dense amount of ink, It can cause problems especially if you arent careful. It can spread when still wet and ruin everything. Plus the paper isnt like the poster type. But I do have to admit, A poster with the size of 1000 Sheet is amazing. I am going to use that technique someday.

Copymax or somewhere is doing all the printing, so I don't have to worry about anything except assembly. They can print on any paper you want, I was just trying one, so I used some thicker resume paper. I really want to make a final one on photo paper.
matttai
Hahaha first thing i thought also when i first saw the name was is this some weird cross between something and what i think it is? Laughing
It is an awesome idea though i never knew this existed! Now i'd like to see something worth putting up on a wall hmm
Kaisonic
Rasterbator does sound kinda wrong....but nevertheless, looks really cool, and I may have to actually print something out someday.
forgotten_emo
I don't like rasterbator. I'm using this poster creator.
deanhills
Right. I kind of lost interest when it "asked" me to make a donation.

Quite impressed it's still there since this thread was started in 2006.
standready
alkady wrote:

Also, saves violating copyright laws which any copy shop should want to avoid.
kulinilesh
Rasterbator is an application which creates rasterized versions of images.