FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My very old MOBO with 448 RAM

trilogy456
My MOBO's guide book (SOYO-TISU) says it supports up to 512 RAM in three DIMM slots. I was going to upgrade he RAM, looked at the book, and was shocked at how little RAM it can support. Yes, it's very long over due for an upgrade. I am still shocked and it's a little funny that it can only support 512 RAM but will still support 512 modules. How much RAM do you have and is anything less that 1 GB for a Windows machine a waste of time?
Xeniczone
Quote:
How much RAM do you have and is anything less that 1 GB for a Windows machine a waste of time?

Of course not. My best gaming computer only has 512mbs of ram that is all it needs. Top end games don't need more then 512mbs.

If you really need more space you can also use virtual memory but beware it is much slwoer then ram.
ForceRun
Yeah I would say that system is too old to upgrade. And I disagree, most highend systems need at least 1 Gb of Ram to run at full speed. I resently build a Windows XP gaming systems and just running the system I was using 300-400 MB of memory just for the base system, when we started up Counter-Strike Source it used 750Mb total, which was using at least 256Mb virtural memory (hard disk), and it was very slow. Once we upgraded the memory, to over 1 Gb we had no more problems. I see little point in upgrading old systems. Just put together a new system if you have to. 1 Gb of DDR2 only cost $60 to $160.
izcool
My computer is a little strange, because the maximum memory it's supposed to take is 1GB. I bought 2 512MB chips for this (there's only two expansion slots for RAM for this machine), and they don't work. So, I had to buy a 256MB RAM chip, and that's what I'm stuck with - 768MB of RAM (512MB + 256MB). I did put that other 512MB RAM chip to use, it's in one of the other machines I built.

- Mike.
alkady
Mines will support 4 GB because it's a newer model, But still 1 GB should be more than enough. You just need 512 MB for Windows Vista, Thats the minumum.
psycosquirrel
512 is really not enough for any hardcore gaming. You should consider upgrading soon to 939, 940, or Conroe. I have a gig of RAM and will be getting one more soon.
alkady
^Lucky you, My PC is still on Warranty and my parents would be Psyched if I tore it apart to upgrade it and they certainly dont want to pay the $125.00/hr fee to get it serviced at the Authorized Dealer.
technology.sponge
Quote:
Of course not. My best gaming computer only has 512mbs of ram that is all it needs. Top end games don't need more then 512mbs.

how can u call a pc with ONLY 512mb of ram a gaming rig ?!?!?!?!?!
sure, it might run ut03, age of empire3 and the solitaire and pacman collections

but anything modern ut04, doom3, farcry, warcraft etc and your pc will be using swap a lot of the ime and taking a long time to load the games