FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Video card +mother board help

munkey_boy
Hi, i have a 8x video card and my motherboard only supports 4x i have heard there is a way to get past this. Can anyone help me?

[edit] Mod plz move this[/edit]
modak
munkey_boy wrote:
Hi, i have a 8x video card and my motherboard only supports 4x i have heard there is a way to get past this. Can anyone help me?

[edit] Mod plz move this[/edit]

I'm assuming you refer to AGP . (If you refer to PCI-Express, then I have no idea, but I've not seen many boards ship with PCI-Express 4x slots)

No you cannot use an 8X AGP card at 8x speeds on a motherboard with 4x AGP slot.
alkady
Youll have to buy a new motherboard, Or Video Card. But 4x is a bit outdated. This method youve mentioned seems familiar, But I doubt its possible. Maybe it was some sort of software, I dont remember.
munkey_boy
All fixed and its not my computer it was a friends. He just ended up playing around in the bios and got his video card working and games work now. Thanks modak and alkady.
Naif
AGP 8x cards are backward compatible with AGP 4x motherboards. They'll work fine but there is a drawback. You'll only be able to utilize half the power of the card as it will be running at 4x, i.e. half the speed than it was designed for... There already was a post made regarding this topic a few days back on this forum. Here is the link to it:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=315327
TheGeek
running the 8x card in a 4x slot is no problem. AGP is good like that, it is backwards compatible 8x/4x.

You wont get the full 8x speed though, for that you will need to upgrade your motherboard. But if you upgrade your motherboard, there is no point in keeping AGP, so if you replace it you should look to sell the 8x agp card and use the money to get a PCI-E card for your new PCI-E mobo.

Sorry i started to ramble on that one...
SLNapster
TheGeek wrote:
running the 8x card in a 4x slot is no problem. AGP is good like that, it is backwards compatible 8x/4x.

You wont get the full 8x speed though, for that you will need to upgrade your motherboard. But if you upgrade your motherboard, there is no point in keeping AGP, so if you replace it you should look to sell the 8x agp card and use the money to get a PCI-E card for your new PCI-E mobo.

Sorry i started to ramble on that one...

Yea I completly agree with this one, the best AGP card out there isnt too good, although its in the 7000 series of cards. Just save up and go with a good PCI-E.
psycosquirrel
There is something I need to clear up in this topic...

The difference between 4x and 8x is decieving, same with PCI-E 16x and 8x on SLI motherboards. Basically, there is a bus speed and a multiplier for all slots, similar to those of CPU sockets. If all the bandwidth of a 4x slot is not used by an 8x card, then the card will perform the same as it would in an 8x slot. Most modern PCI-E cards use very little of the 16x, none even use a full 8x (yes, even the massive 7950). Therefore, buying a board such as an A8N-32SLI board is currently useless. This may change by the time DX10 cards are out (there is a new Asus high end SLI board to accompany the release too, so A8N-32SLI is still dumb) because DX10 may requre more than 8x per slot.
bassgs_17
I agree; just because a certain style of bus supports a given transfer rate it does not mean that the device will utilize all of it. Take USB for example; I can't name a device that uses all 480 MB/s...
gh0stface
Anyways, the solution for this problem has been solved. If you need this topic to be unlocked, PM me or any other mods of this board.

-Locked-