FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is better? Radeon or nVidia?

SFMeatwad
Which is better? Radeon or nVidia?

I have a Radeon 256MB 9250, great graphics for Halo PC, CSS, HL2, HL2DM, and Garry's Mod.
alkady
Well it really depends, ATI cards are more professional oriented in my opinion while nVidia cards are more gaming oriented. For a fact, I only use ATI cards for video editing ect. Because it just can do it better than nVidia.

Alot of people are probably going to contradict me on this, But this is my opinion and not a fact. So lets not start a flame war or something like that and keep it clean. Laughing
Xeniczone
I would have to agree.

ATI is great for movie editing and stuff because of their LARGE line of products. TV card Graphic cards Software....

nVidia does great on gameing it is also a little better on price compared to the top ATI.
Nyizsa
I have an nVidia card and I like it. A lot of people are complaining about ATI for their lousy Linux drivers. I have never had any problem with nVidia.
Xeniczone
Quote:
I have an nVidia card and I like it. A lot of people are complaining about ATI for their lousy Linux drivers. I have never had any problem with nVidia.

LOL, what drivers?
Jaiye
Xeniczone wrote:
Quote:

LOL, what drivers?

true dat
ForceRun
I just have to say that for the last 2 years Nvidia has total out done ATi. Ever sence the GeForce 6 came out, next sli, and now the GeForce 7 ATi simplity can't compete, they are just releasing cards that match the older GeForce 6 cards tachonlogy. I got a 6800 GT and it rocks with sweet OverClocking, drivers, and FPS. I also have the new 7900GT, and has some sweet power.
JimJamDragoonr
What it really all comes down to is this
ATI - good for video editing and virtual picture editing. Technology is slightly behind that of Nvidia counterpart. Don't buy for gaming, the framechecks on the generation 7 Nvidia cards are so much further ahead than that of ATI's. The All and Wonder card has greater support for HDTV, tivo, and dual display than any of Nvidia's cards

Nvidia - Awesome for gaming. SLI allows for greater rendering performance than all cards ATI puts out. Nvidia's drivers make everything so userfriendly including: increasing game performance and quality, overclocking, and anything else you might want to tweak or change around.

My opinion: It's your choice to buy a card with its gpu made by either ATI or Nvidia and either way you win because you will get what you want out of your card. Either great gaming or great visual editing.
psycosquirrel
In terms of price to performance ratio and convenience, NVIDIA is way ahead. For top of the top of the line, ATI was ahead until the 7950GX. NVIDIA is now ahead in everything and ATI just sucks right now.
Helios
psycosquirrel, you're wrong in what you've just said.

You can't possibly say that one brand is better than the other just by comparing between their two latest video cards.
What about older cards? There are plenty older releases(by ATI for example) which are better than nVidia's! So when nVidia releases a better card(like the 7950), the older models by nVidia become instantly better too?

I think you're wrong.
ATI can't 'suck' right now, and so can't nVidia, because both released so many models, and many of those models are better than others.
Again, you can't compare between 2 brands just by comparing between their latest releases.
Thadisu
I used to have an ATI but fancied a change and got an nVidia card. I haven't really had any problems with it so I think i'm gonna stick with nVidia for awhile.
sush
ATI. I love the red.

Like helios said, this isn't about the best CARDs, it's about the brands. Both have a nice history and reputation, but as far as I've seen professionals at AV studios swear by their ATIs and gamer dudes can't let go of nVidia.
Helios
Anyway, you cn't ask which one is better.
You have to give us your budget and we'll try to help you by searching for 2 cards(one from nVidia, the other from ATI) and comparing them.
That's the only way.
psycosquirrel
Helios wrote:
psycosquirrel, you're wrong in what you've just said.

You can't possibly say that one brand is better than the other just by comparing between their two latest video cards.
What about older cards? There are plenty older releases(by ATI for example) which are better than nVidia's! So when nVidia releases a better card(like the 7950), the older models by nVidia become instantly better too?

I think you're wrong.
ATI can't 'suck' right now, and so can't nVidia, because both released so many models, and many of those models are better than others.
Again, you can't compare between 2 brands just by comparing between their latest releases.

Okay, I was referring to the top of the line and in terms of price to performance, which are both the best comparison methods for video cards. Since I am bored, I will further expain why NVIDIA is clearly superior:

Let's start back up at the high-end. Any enthusiast will know about SLI and Crossfire. What most people don't know is that Crossfire does not have a bridge like SLI, but a horribly obnoxious "dongle" that externally merges the cards through one DVI port. This also means dual monitors will never be supported with crossfire enabled.

On the subject of Crossfire vs SLI, let's examine the drivers. According to [H]ard OCP, Crossfire has a 10 second OR LONGER delay when enabling it. This delay is nearly inexistant with SLI. Also, Crossfire is much less reliable, especially when the two cards are not identical (that is the ONLY good thing about Crossfire by the way)

NVIDIA's drivers are also amazing in comparison to Crossfire's. If you follow their instructions and install each card at once, then install Crossfire, then you have to download 4 or more seperate driver/software sets to get Crossfire even working. NVIDIA's drivers are ONE executable, which will basically have everything preconfigured to work great. Crossfire, on the other hand, requires configuring and can be very confusing for a noob.

Now on to the single cards themselves. Let me get one thing off my chest first: the All-In-Wonder series blows. You pay $500+ for a crap card that runs slower than paying less than $300 for a seperate tuner and video card that would both work much better than their components in the All-In-Wonder.

Next, we need thermal comparison. As anyone knows, video cards usually run HOT. But how hot is usually the question. Even though ATI usually has bigger fans and heatsinks, their GPUs produce much more heat than NVIDIA. My only guess is that the heat is from ATI stock overclocking massively to try to stay competitive with NVIDIA.

Noise? In a small form factor case, my 7600GT (soon to be TWO 7600GTs) makes no noise. My case is nearly silent. In terms of price, the ATI equivalent is the X850XT, and like all other ATIs, it has the ANNOYING push-style fan. It is noisy, I have heard it can generate over 40db of noise under noise. Wow.

Finally, ATI never works with Linux. Ouch.

Performance? Well, I have already stated price to performance is much better on NVIDIA, but ATI fanboys will continue to deny it. Well, look up actual real-life application benchmarks (not 3DMark, fps comparison and compatibility), and it will be clear that NVIDIA is better.

So I am saying in comparison to NVIDIA, ATI CAN 'suck' right now.... Though my first post did not clairify it well Very Happy