FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux or Windows for server hosting

SFMeatwad
Choose your Os right now.

Linux: runs off of complete MS DOS, great cpu percentage, awesome performance

Windows: runs off of your desktop, server box cpanel organized, great cpu percentage, great performance

(my opinions)

What's your opinion?
Stubru Freak
What do you mean?
Linux running in MS DOS?
You probably mean command line.
You do know that most linux distributions are graphical too, don't you?
JayBee
When you want to manage the server
Linux:
- You can use ssh - fast, lo trafic, nothink to click
- tunneling X11 throw ssh or direct connection via XDMCP - big trafic
- VNC server and client - slow, big trafic
- you don't need graphic card and monitor in your server

Windows:
- you can use remote desktop or VNC - big trafic
- if you dont want rdesktop you must manage the server from its keyboard and mouse and monitor
- you can install ssh or telnet server, but you can't do anything with them because all tools are visual Laughing
- you must have monitor, graphic card and mouse
LostOverThere
I'd say Linux, its quick!
Dalector
I think linux is the best for a server because of the reliability and the security but to use it you must have good computer skill. In the other hand Window$ is realy easier for most people and it is "free" too for people who have already bought their OS. You can use apache on both so it's realy as you want.
Kd527
Definately Linux (although my first choice would be Mac OS X Server) Smile

But windoze has too many problems. You'd be rebooting the server way more than you have to...
kelvinpoon
I think Linux is more stable than using Windows to run a server.
Bengt
kelvinpoon wrote:
I think Linux is more stable than using Windows to run a server.

It is like that
So by all means, for hosting => linux Very Happy
Greyhound
I prefer bsd(such as openbsd, freebsd) as a stable webserver, and, i am using linux just for desktop pc, it's easy to use even than windows
lukeropro
I say linux for servers. It can support PHP and stuff. Windows servers cannot support PHP and you must code in ASP which very little people use
chizeled
I would like to use linux. I hope to get a machine going with just linux soon. Can it run a AMD 64 proccessor or do I have to have a special linux box. Does have to be a new box or can it be an old box. I would need some help. Need more information.
kelvinpoon
lukeropro wrote:
I say linux for servers. It can support PHP and stuff. Windows servers cannot support PHP and you must code in ASP which very little people use

Yes. Linux can support PHP. BUT Windows aslo support PHP(you can go to http://www.php.net/downloads.php to download it). IF you want ASP support, you must use Windows.
Seth
Linux...Hands down!!!
Its reliable, Stable, fast and built more so for demanding server apps and heavy traffic...and also extreme security!
Almost every website you see on the web is hosted on a nix machine..
theres alot of reasons for that...I wont get into all that...
avk
Linux because it supports PHP and is fast + secure
Stubru Freak
chizeled wrote:
I would like to use linux. I hope to get a machine going with just linux soon. Can it run a AMD 64 proccessor or do I have to have a special linux box. Does have to be a new box or can it be an old box. I would need some help. Need more information.

(Almost) all distributions can run on an AMD64.
Most linux distributions will probably not run very well on really old pc's, but I had xubuntu working on a laptop made for win98 with 128MB RAM.
Greyhound
kelvinpoon wrote:
lukeropro wrote:

Yes. Linux can support PHP. BUT Windows aslo support PHP(you can go to http://www.php.net/downloads.php to download it). IF you want ASP support, you must use Windows.

no, apache has its own asp module so that linux can support asp too.
but i think the module maybe not very stable Rolling Eyes
TheGeek
for a server i would say that anything unix based, particularly linux or unix would be your best bet. Linux is my personal favorite because its easyish to setup and usually will run stably for up to 4 weeks in my experience with my own home file server.
{name here}
Use Plan 9, as it requires near no administration and has everything you need to get started. Linux and BSD are also great too, but require more maintainence than Plan 9.

Just stay away from SCO products. UnixWare and Openserver though unix based, are the worst OSes you could get your hands on. They're dated and have little applications for them. The companies that still run UnixWare and OpenServer don't want to run them.
JayBee
{name here} wrote:
Use Plan 9, as it requires near no administration and has everything you need to get started. Linux and BSD are also great too, but require more maintainence than Plan 9.

I thing that Plan 9 is dead system. You have all sources with it, you can compile almost all apps from linux, but what about new hardware and kernel support?
I love Plan 9, but I only use the window manager Rio with my Linux because it is the best minimalist wm I have ever seen.
Greyhound
What is plan 9? it's a operation system? or...?
JayBee
Greyhound wrote:
What is plan 9? it's a operation system? or...?

It is an old unix like OS (where everithing is file)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_9_from_Bell_Labs
http://cm.bell-labs.com/plan9/
{name here}
JayBee wrote:
{name here} wrote:

I thing that Plan 9 is dead system. You have all sources with it, you can compile almost all apps from linux, but what about new hardware and kernel support?
I love Plan 9, but I only use the window manager Rio with my Linux because it is the best minimalist wm I have ever seen.

Plan 9 may be dead, but Inferno, it's successor still remains, which will run on newer hardware, though Plan 9 is still better IMO because they put in a real bad WM that looks like a hybrd between windows and rio.

Plan 9 seems to work fine with newer hardware, and compiling things isn't that bad, isn't it?
Code:

# ./configure
# make
# make install

That's it. All you need to really build is PHP, Perl, and MySQL - everything else comes with Plan 9.

Quote:
It is an old unix like OS (where everithing is file)

It's more than that, it's the official successor to Unix. Unix also represents everything as a file, but Plan 9 gives more advanced tech to the table.
novisdesign
Linux = Good
redice
I will always choose Linux.
Kyoushu
SFMeatwad wrote:
Choose your Os right now.

Linux: runs off of complete MS DOS, great cpu percentage, awesome performance

Windows: runs off of your desktop, server box cpanel organized, great cpu percentage, great performance

(my opinions)

What's your opinion?

Woah since when did Linux run off MS DOS? Ignorant much?

And, any server edition of linux I've seen has a graphical interface(ubuntu server edition).
Lychee
Well... I'd say Mac OSX eighter... Cool
But:::
My Server is running on Gentoo Linux. And I'm really happy with it!
Its stable and got great performance
bryanbel
If you are more concern about security, use OPENBSD. www.openbsd.org. Once you are able to succesfully install it, it would be very easy to install it the second time. It also had a lot of packages and had an easy to use package manager. It had low hardware requirement.

You dont have to be worried about virus and staff like that with this server.
urangkayo
I'm definetely using Linux or BSD OS for server.

I think Windows is to much cost if using as server.
zyee
linux linux and linux, without doubt, linux is just much more stable than windows, no mater which version which company of linux, red hat fedora core, debian, suse, anything. windows is so much expensive, and i am so regret i buy a windows server 2000, useless, i am now using debians, so stable .
chizeled
I was wondering which is the best linux? Which has the best GUI? Are any of these relavent? I have used it before and it was good then. I am using windows now, not bad but I kind of liked linux.
tony
If you want to run a server, use Linux. Linux is more secure and more stable - those are the two most important aspects of a server. The fact that it's free is another reason to use it rather than windows or mac. bsd OS'es are also good for hosting but linux is easier to set up because there is a larger user base - so more people to answer your questions.
chizeled
Could Linux run on VMware server 3.0? Is not the way to go? I was looking at this option? Maybe more to get familiar with linux again. Anyone think this is a good idea or not.
Lychee
Sorry but I never tried that one...
internetjobs
i think linux is better....

some viruses are targetting only for windows.... in that case linux is better and have good performance...

in comparing with user friendly and mofe compatablity and problem solving capablity is in windows....
Agent ME
To people saying Linux because of PHP abilities, I guess the fact you can run windows versions of Apache, PHP, and mySQL make no difference? lol

And about viruses, you're not going to get a virus if all you use the computer for is hosting any more than a linux hosted computer does.
turbohead
Even microsoft itself doesn't use its own product to run a server. They use linux and bsd.
corey
This thread seems to be going in circles.

I love the comments about using Mac OSX. That's great if you own a Mac, which many (most) people don't, as they're more expensive than a PC. But, OSX is a stale base on which to put a server.

The operating system should not matter, as long as you own them (the choice between Linux and Windows becomes one of price, unless you're not going to pay for Windows). It is true that Windows ha been traditionally less secure for longer, as Microsoft doesn't always fix vulnerabilities as quickly as it should. And, the company keeps the source code to itself, so the ordinary C programmer can't look in to see where the exploit is. It is also true that Linux, as a kernel, with the GNU tools to make it an OS (GNU/Linux, known as Linux from now on), usually have their vulnerabilities and exploits fixed more rapidly, as the source is open and many programmers will look at it and find the vulnerable code.

Most of the web servers in the world are Apache. Its free, powerful, and has a great plugin structure (look at the Netcraft website to see about uptimes). There are other great choices as well, but Apache is small and powerful.

If you're going to run a database (use MySql) and PHP, then go with Apache. On Windows, you can install the whole thing with XAAMP in one package (I'm testing a blog template on this type of setup on my Windows machine right now).

If you want to have an easy to use operating system with an easy configuration for your server (I'm assuming that you mean webserver and not IRC or mail server), then get set up with a version or derivative of Debian Linux (like Ubuntu), as there is less work involved in keeping it secure tan some others. Plus, it'll be free.

The most important thing to do is pick one, and then go to their site and READ THE DOCUMENTATION (one of the reasons I suggest Debian - it has excellent install docs). You won't go wrong that way.