FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

X2: X-Men United / To Kill a Mockingbird

newsoft
Illness forced me to cancel my plans to see The Last Stand this week, but watching X2: X-Men United again was fun enough that even if this brushing up before going to the theater business ends up being for naught, I won't really mind. I'd forgotten how good Alan Cumming is in this; his Nightcrawler is immensely sympathetic. I found myself feeling for all of the familiar characters, too, moreso than the first time I saw it. I still think the love triangle is a bit chintzy (mostly because two of the characters in it are drawn more sketchily than they should be) but it actually clicked this time for me. Yes, the plot is a bit of a retread, but I find it hard to be too critical of a popcorn movie that manages to play with interesting human themes and be entertaining at the same time.

I recently re-read To Kill a Mockingbird for the first time since I was a wee lass, and of course, that made me want to see the movie again, too. It's a fantastic film and a very good adaptation, but with the book so fresh in my mind, it was hard not to be bugged just a little by things cut or altered. I miss the kids' perspective during the famous trial scenes, but changing their focus is an understandable choice that seems especially wise given how well they work as a showcase for Gregory Peck. Peck's body language really struck me; he communicates just as much when his back is to us as when we can read his face. I'd be surprised by how well the movie holds up had it not stuck as closely as it did to the book, which is rightly considered timeless. Rolling Eyes
shinnoyami
I haven't seen To kill a Mockingbird (or even read the book for that matter). I'll consider seeing it. Thanks for the reviews