FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to make sure motherboard is capable of booting from usb

manumiglani
Hello Friends,

I want to install a linux on the usb drive.

But before buying a usb drive I want to make it sure that my motherboard is capable of booting from the usb drive.

How can I find out that my motherboard is capable of booting from the usb drive ?

Right now, it only shows my floppy drive, cd drive and hard disk in the boot sequence....
badai
borrow from your friend first. insert the drive then boot your pc.

most motherboard from last 2 yrs will support it.
ocalhoun
When you edit the boot sequence what options are you given. We should be able to tell you from that.
bryanbel
During startup of your computer go to the bios and on the settings where you are able to select the boot order. Check if you have something like boot using usb device option.
manumiglani
Well I have found there is a option called

USB Boot

one can enable or disable it. So, I guess my motherboard is capable of booting from usb.
ocalhoun
manumiglani wrote:
Well I have found there is a option called

USB Boot

one can enable or disable it. So, I guess my motherboard is capable of booting from usb.

It definitely is, if you can see that. If you couldn't, then one option would be to put the boot directory on a CD, and everything else on a flash drive.

Try just sticking the contents of a DOS boot disk onto your flash drive and booting it up with that enabled and it inserted. What happens?

I don't know if yours will or not, but when booting, my computer gives an option of 'press F12 for boot menu'. If I want to boot off of USB, I have to do it that way.
MeddlingMonk
Quote:
don't know if yours will or not, but when booting, my computer gives an option of 'press F12 for boot menu'. If I want to boot off of USB, I have to do it that way.

If the machine comes up with a generic logo screen when it starts, you may have to press TAB or ESC to see what is actually happening (and show the correct key to bring up the boot menu, if the option is there). Since the boot menu is dependent on the board manufacturer, it could be almost any of the function keys (though not F1). On my machine, pressing F8 before Windows starts will bring up the Boot Menu.

Otherwise, since the BIOS gives you the option to select the USB, you could re-order the boot sequence to:

USB
CD/DVD drive
Hard Disk

Quote:
Try just sticking the contents of a DOS boot disk onto your flash drive and booting it up with that enabled and it inserted.

I agree. A DOS boot disk (FAT16 or FAT32 format, not NTFS), would probably be the easiest way to test whether it will work.