FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which Software you use for compressing files

hellrahul
Hi!
I have a windows xp pro system and I use winrar for compressing files.
It support many extensions but you can save to .rar and .zip files only.

Its very simple and very light that's why I like it.
k_s_baskar
I use winzip 5.1 to compress my files. which supports

*.zip;*.z;*.gz;*.tz;*.taz;*.tgz;*.lzh;*.arj;*.arc;*.tar; *.cab
ninjakannon
I use both winzip and winrar Wink
manumiglani
I use zipgenius or 7-zip.
selim06
I use Winrar and I think there is better ones but generally people use Winrar so if you want a list of Free Comparasion Programs take a look here:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-2524.html
ninjakannon
selim06 wrote:
I use Winrar and I think there is better ones but generally people use Winrar so if you want a list of Free Comparasion Programs take a look here:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-2524.html

Nice link, selim06.

There really is a post for everything on this website! Wink
guissmo
WinRar! I stopped using WinZip when WinRar came along. It opens almost any compressed file. Yay for WinRar!
ninjakannon
manumiglani wrote:

I've never heard of those, manumiglani.

Are they any good?
manumiglani
ninjakannon wrote:
manumiglani wrote:

Are they any good?

Well ZipGenius is certainly very Good. It install intself in shell and you can create archives or extract by just a right click and it supports more than 20 file formats. It will ask you if you are a beginner or an advanced user and will show you options based on your preference. Moreover it is 100% free software avilable in many languages. You can find more about it at their site http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/index.php

7-zip is an open source free software utility for both linux and windows. It has a simple interface which is easy to use. more about 7-zip can be found on their site http://www.7-zip.org/
ninjakannon
ZipGenius looks very good, but 7-zip doesn't look as amazing Razz

I like the look of ZipGenius Very Happy
Might even get it...
shaggly
I use WinRar, and have ever since I switched across from WinZip to use the RaR format. However, thanks for the tips on alternates. I shall check them out.

Cheers...
redice
WinZip for common use,
7-zip (Lzwcompress) for best size,
upx for execute files,
Only use winrar for decompress if I get a rar compressed file.

7-zip with lzw is best and it is open source tools.
chat
I am using TUGZip it is best free solution.Supports
*.7z *.bh *.cab *.jar *.lzh *.sqx *.tar *.tbz *.tgz *.yz1 *.zip
I use KGB Archiver Compress when want to do slow but incredible compress for example a ms office from 450 mb to 1,5 mb Cool
JayBee
I use Total Commander with many plugins (of course I also wrote one for me Wink - only a wrapper plugin for SZip)

With linux, I use Midnight Commander and apps like TAR, GZIP, ZIP... Smile
ninjakannon
chat wrote:
I am using TUGZip it is best free solution.Supports
*.7z *.bh *.cab *.jar *.lzh *.sqx *.tar *.tbz *.tgz *.yz1 *.zip
I use KGB Archiver Compress when want to do slow but incredible compress for example a ms office from 450 mb to 1,5 mb Cool

Wow! That's 'some' compression... 300% decreace in size.

I don't know much about compression, but that seems pretty good. Razz
chat
Yeah pal,if want I can leave link to KGB Archiver Compress,but i suspect that you can't find it.... Smile It is best for long and good compress as I said
S3nd K3ys
ninjakannon wrote:
manumiglani wrote:

Are they any good?

Haven't used zipgenius, but I've been using 7zip for years.

It supports everything I've ever tried to open/save. The compression algorythems are very good. And it's free.

Quote:
Compression ratio results are very dependent upon the data used for the tests. Usually 7-Zip compresses to 7z format 30-70% better than to zip format. And 7-Zip compresses to zip format 2-10% better than most of other zip compatible programs.
Transponder
I use Winrar easy and quick! Smile
b4r4t
I use 7-zip and Total Commander Smile Winrar... sometimes but ... 7zip is fast, small, nice , free Smile And ... Winrar have this stpd pop-up window (try&buy;p)
Stubru Freak
file-roller, with p7zip which supports .tar.gz, .tar.bz2, .tar, .zip, .ear, .jar, .war and .7z.
Maryndor
I've always used just and only WinRAR. I haven't any problems with it for now and the whole idea about interface is great and user friendly. Handles perfect the archives and sometime helps me with it's possibility to read the .iso files. Smile
hunnyhiteshseth
It depends on file.

For large files I prefer WinRar otherwise Winzip

Also, if I dont know the recepient of my file, I prefer Winzip because zip files can be opened in WindowsXP also.
ninjakannon
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
if I dont know the recepient of my file, I prefer Winzip because zip files can be opened in WindowsXP also.

So can winRAR files... not to mention many others. Or have I misunderstood what you are saying here?
hunnyhiteshseth
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
if I dont know the recepient of my file, I prefer Winzip because zip files can be opened in WindowsXP also.

So can winRAR files... not to mention many others. Or have I misunderstood what you are saying here?

I mean you can open zip files in windowsXP without having Winzip or any other conpression utility installed.
ninjakannon
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
I mean you can open zip files in windowsXP without having Winzip or any other conpression utility installed.

Ahh right, hunnyhiteshseth. Not a bad feature then Razz
Xentonia
I got 7-zip

Its free and its easy to juse
S3nd K3ys
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

That's one of the first features I turn OFF when I load a new ver of Windows. Cool
bigdbag
winrar supports RAR, ZIP, CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, 7Z, and Z archives. Now tell me thas a good list. Plus, You don't need to pay for it, although it bickers a lot about it to you. What's more, the installation takes all of 2 seconds and takes about a megabyte of space on your harddisk. I use it all the time.
hrtorrent
I have WinRAR Corporate Edition and works great. I use it for any kind of compress files, including ZIP. Cool
hunnyhiteshseth
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

That's one of the first features I turn OFF when I load a new ver of Windows. Cool

Yes, I also turned it off, once I installed Winzip. But what to do if your recepient dont have Winzip,WinRaR or any other compression utility.
yaashop
i also use both winzip and winrar. i prefer winrar coz the compresed file will be in smaller size and also work great with zip files. ^^
ninjakannon
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Ahh right, hunnyhiteshseth. Not a bad feature then

Heh.

That's one of the first features I turn OFF when I load a new ver of Windows.

Yes, I also turned it off, once I installed Winzip. But what to do if your recepient dont have Winzip,WinRaR or any other compression utility.

Laughing Laughing

I guess you just turn the feature on again...
S3nd K3ys
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

LoL, I think you're confused... Him turning on zip folders won't do anything for his recipient's ability to handle zip files... Laughing

BOT... You can create self-extracting zip files, with an .exe extension, so they won't need a decompression program to use it.
{name here}
I like powerarchiver in particular. Cheaper than WinRAR, and handles many more formats.
saurabh.sauron
i use both WinRAR and 7Zip.
jesper
hellrahul wrote:
Hi!
I have a windows xp pro system and I use winrar for compressing files.
It support many extensions but you can save to .rar and .zip files only.

Its very simple and very light that's why I like it.

That's not true. With winrar u get save it to all supported extensions.
But Winrar Rulezzzzzz
photographerguy
Windows - 7-zip and Total Commander
Mac OSX - whatever the default is (it works well) and compress
ninjakannon
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

LoL, I think you're confused... Him turning on zip folders won't do anything for his recipient's ability to handle zip files... Laughing

BOT... You can create self-extracting zip files, with an .exe extension, so they won't need a decompression program to use it.

Whoopsie!
I didn't read that properly rofl. Sorry.

Oh, and this is the largest number of embeded quotes I've ever seen Very Happy
hunnyhiteshseth
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

I was just going to say what S3nd said,but he replied early.

Now, this is the largest number of embedded quotes. Very Happy Very Happy

#S3nd Earlier I also used to make executable files, but obviously, they increase the size of zip-files, defeating the main purpose for which they are used.
ninjakannon
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

#S3nd Earlier I also used to make executable files, but obviously, they increase the size of zip-files, defeating the main purpose for which they are used.

Yeah, I skim read it and didn't actually take in everything that was written Razz
I'm just gonna blame it on my dyslexia Very Happy
ninjakannon
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

Yeah, I skim read it and didn't actually take in everything that was written Razz
I'm just gonna blame it on my dyslexia Very Happy

Now that's a lot of embeded quotes! (7 embeded Exclamation)
S3nd K3ys
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

The executables are very small. About ~120k. A small price to pay for big files, but for small files, there's no need to compress I suppose.
ninjakannon
S3nd K3ys wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

The executables are very small. About ~120k. A small price to pay for big files, but for small files, there's no need to compress I suppose.

That's not bad, hope it doesn't decreace the quality in any way... I found a compression program once that had an error. It was amazing, shrunk everything to miniscule sizes... then I found out that things were missing from the executables.
S3nd K3ys
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

That's not bad, hope it doesn't decreace the quality in any way... I found a compression program once that had an error. It was amazing, shrunk everything to miniscule sizes... then I found out that things were missing from the executables.

It will not affect the quality. But some folks might not be willing to accept an .exe file, for obvious reason.

You have to be careful. Some so-called programmers think they know what a file needs and what it doesn't. So they dont think twice about removing it to give the impression of a good compression ratio.
ninjakannon
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

It will not affect the quality. But some folks might not be willing to accept an .exe file, for obvious reason.

You have to be careful. Some so-called programmers think they know what a file needs and what it doesn't. So they dont think twice about removing it to give the impression of a good compression ratio.

And you obviously can't send the exes through some email services, which can be very anoying Confused. I guess you'd have to zip (or what ever) the exe file to send it in a email anyway. I've also used the internet in a place that didn't allow exes to be downloaded, so again: the exe would have to be ziped (or what ever program you use).
S3nd K3ys
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

And you obviously can't send the exes through some email services, which can be very anoying Confused. I guess you'd have to zip (or what ever) the exe file to send it in a email anyway. I've also used the internet in a place that didn't allow exes to be downloaded, so again: the exe would have to be ziped (or what ever program you use).

Ahh, good point. I always remove the last "e" from .exe so the email will send it. Wink
ninjakannon
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

Ahh, good point. I always remove the last "e" from .exe so the email will send it. Wink

And that works!?!
Do you just rename it, and change the file type?

That's generous you know! I love it Very Happy
S3nd K3ys
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

And that works!?!

Yes, it works great! You WILL get a stern warning from windows that it will render the file useless, but simply replacing the 'e' at the end will fix it after the file is recieved.
ninjakannon
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

And that works!?!

Yes, it works great! You WILL get a stern warning from windows that it will render the file useless, but simply replacing the 'e' at the end will fix it after the file is recieved.

Now that's what I call amazing! Like a cheat Razz I wish I'd thought of it Smile

I'll use that method in the future. The thing is that you must never forget to tell people to add the "e" back to the end of the file type. Or they'll be pretty stuffed and confused if they are a bit of a noob computer user. And you've gotta hope that no one already has .ex files on their computer (if they exist) or that .ex files will never be invented, because that will put the kibosh on some of your previous files. In this case you could always just use .xe or something Wink or .exeeeeee Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy Anything really.
singh.gurjeet
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Can you tell me how to turn it off? I sure gets slow to browse directories that have huge zip files!!!
singh.gurjeet
Initially I used Winzip for everything... But lately, after a friend told me about it, I started using IZArc (IZArc.org). It handles almost all wll-known compression types, zip, rar, gz, tar.gz, ace, even iso....

On top of it all, it is FREE and not a nagware!!! so no "Unregistered" title bars, not nagging dialog boxes... and all the features of winzip... PLUS a tree view to look at the contents of the archive in a tree view... A feature that was long due in Winzip, and even after being a nagware, they could deliver it in only version 10(i think)!!!

A great software... must-try for anyone using windows...
Ikthar
I use 7-zip too, since it's light, free and open-source... It does everything that I need and really compress the files, way better then zip or rar compression.
hunnyhiteshseth
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

And that works!?!

Now that's what I call amazing! Like a cheat Razz I wish I'd thought of it Smile

I'll use that method in the future. The thing is that you must never forget to tell people to add the "e" back to the end of the file type. Or they'll be pretty stuffed and confused if they are a bit of a noob computer user. And you've gotta hope that no one already has .ex files on their computer (if they exist) or that .ex files will never be invented, because that will put the kibosh on some of your previous files. In this case you could always just use .xe or something Wink or .exeeeeee Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy Anything really.

Dropping e from .exe, dont always work. Some programs can still identify that its an executable file.
Sometimes you are on brink of exceeding limit then executables cant be used. For eg. I compressed a file & made a zip or rar file which was exactly 700MB, now if you will create an executable file then 700MB limit will be breached. Call it my bad luck but earlier whenever I had to send some important file, I always faced this problem.

Are, we having some sort of competition that who will make most nested quotes?
orcaz
I use both WinRar and Winzip
Greyhound
S3nd K3ys wrote:

Haven't used zipgenius, but I've been using 7zip for years.

It supports everything I've ever tried to open/save. The compression algorythems are very good. And it's free.

i use 7zip too. the 7z format is much better then rar format, and it's free software though winrar is a share software cost some money.
photographerguy
Dropping the e off of .exe to email doesn't work on Gmail. It still recognizes it as an executable. Very annoying.
Fire Boar
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

And that works!?!

Dropping e from .exe, dont always work. Some programs can still identify that its an executable file.
Sometimes you are on brink of exceeding limit then executables cant be used. For eg. I compressed a file & made a zip or rar file which was exactly 700MB, now if you will create an executable file then 700MB limit will be breached. Call it my bad luck but earlier whenever I had to send some important file, I always faced this problem.

Hehe... sorry, couldn't resist it. Yeah, I'm using WinRar because you don't have to wait for WinZip's time-consuming countdown of the number of days you've been using it for and because you can extract .rar files. Plus, it's possible to split the files into volumes meaning that you don't have to send the files all in one go and have the file too big for the e-mail service. Handy.
cheeta
Quote:

loool.... looks really funny... me thought of joinging it... but later opt out... and queted just one line... lol... very funny..

by the way how many nested quetes phpBB can handel??

anyway it winRAR for me... but the file is on zip format... cos this is the most know compresion format...
falconfx
I stopped using WinZip last year (I didn't tolerate the very annoying shareware window).

Now I switched to IZArc: it's a very fast application and supports more formats than WinZip (such as tar.gz). And last but not least it's free!

The latest version is beta but I can say it's quite stable and can be used for daily compressions/decompressions of files.

I surely consider it a must on every computer!

Take a look at its website: www.izarc.org
webbone
I use winzip and winrar,Because winzip is a classic compress software!
I use it from I study use pc,So I like it,But winrar more strong than winzip,I use it too Laughing Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth
cheeta wrote:

by the way how many nested quetes phpBB can handel??

Yes, I am also interested in this question, I am searching for it, as soon as I find it I will post here.

BTW,if anybody else knows this post here.
mongoose41
Xentonia wrote:
I got 7-zip

Its free and its easy to juse
Go 7-zip. I use it as a compression format for the data files in my (programming) games.
goansfr
I use WINRAR for compressing in Rar or Zip also.

But i know 7-zip have the best ratio in compression, but i don't like the 7-zip interface, and a lot of people still using zip or rar
Commando_Sondre
I use 7-zip and WinRAR. They are very good, both are fast and can handle a lot of files.
exarkun
WinAce and winzip is all it takes for me to unzip almost any compressed data on my computer. Although not free, but overall rating is good.
Darius
UHARC and WinAce. WinAce is better then both WinRar and WinZIp. The problem is that both of them arent used widely, since not so many know about it (i wonder why...), but there is always *.exe . I don't use both *.zip or *.rar
GProject
I've been a WinRar user for long time, though if I'm honest, I also use the built in Windows XP zip function if I get hold of .zip files. I've never needed anything besides those two programs though.
Bender1337
i use 7-zip is is small free and easy to use. alot of the kids that go to my school use winrar wich i think is ok but doesn't compare to 7-zip.
corey
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

For that concern, you make a self-extracting zip file. Then you shouldn't need to worry.

BTW, I use 7-zip, after UltimateZip got a bit too bloated, when I am using Windows.
matttai
i use winrar
simply for the fact i dont installing too much programs on my computer, and winrar is capable of handling zip files anyway so why install more when you dont have to ? winrar can also handle .ace files so i dont really see the point for using anything else really...
Stubru Freak
matttai wrote:
i use winrar
simply for the fact i dont installing too much programs on my computer, and winrar is capable of handling zip files anyway so why install more when you dont have to ? winrar can also handle .ace files so i dont really see the point for using anything else really...

You can say the same for quite a lot of compression software.
jefry66
i use winrar gold with password cracker
Mgccl
I use both Winrar and 7zip
surdy
I use Winzip in windows and in linux command line rules Smile .
I always prefer .ZIP compression as its quite standard one.
hunnyhiteshseth
corey wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

For that concern, you make a self-extracting zip file. Then you shouldn't need to worry.

As I had said in some other post that, that is an option but it increases the size of zip file & sometimes defeating the whole purpose of zip file.

Let me take an exampple. I want to send a file of 750MB & I only have 1 CD of 700MB. I use Winzip, it gets compressed to 699MB. Now, if I will make it executable, it will exceed 700MB & will defeat the whole purpose.
Balthamos
I just use the standard command line. Usually throws it into a .zip format but I can pretty much compress in anything I want. Comes with the system so that all I really need.

~Balthamos
redice
Fire Boar wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

Heh.

Laughing Laughing

Whoopsie!

And that works!?!

Hehe... sorry, couldn't resist it. Yeah, I'm using WinRar because you don't have to wait for WinZip's time-consuming countdown of the number of days you've been using it for and because you can extract .rar files. Plus, it's possible to split the files into volumes meaning that you don't have to send the files all in one go and have the file too big for the e-mail service. Handy.

ooooooooooh, What a big holl this quote text is!!! quote by quoted quote.
May be the holl itself wants to be compressed!!
lookahead
I mostly use 7 zip
{name here}
PowerArchiver is my favorite one.
lukeropro
WinRAR is the best!