FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Japanese Whaling

Are the Japanese actually killing whales for research?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 5

scotty
The China and Japan thread reminded me of this question I asked myself last night while watching the news. They claim to be whaling for research, that is they go out and kill hundereds of whales every year and it all looks very gory and captures the attention of Greenpeace and the Australia media. They rationalise their actions by saying they are doing it for research.

What are they researching?

Seriously they don't go around shooting people and taking their bodies and claiming it's all for research! They couldn't for obvious reasons.

I'm no tree hugging Greenie, animal rights activist or anything radical I just don't see what requires hundereds of whales every year to be killed in the name of research!
Andrew426
I dont support japanese whaling, but I dont support greenpeace either.
And no I dont think their doing it for research.
PatTheGreat42
I don't support whaling. They're endangered, and it's not like we can get 'em back. Doesn't matter what they're doing it for. Killing healthy whales is bad.

I like Green Peace, though. The environment is the only thing we got, and if you can use paramilitary tactics, that just makes it more fun.
Andrew426
PatTheGreat42 wrote:

The environment is the only thing we got, and if you can use paramilitary tactics, that just makes it more fun.

WTF?

You care more about whales than about people?

You would rather some kid lose their parent, some brother lose their sibling, or a mother lose their child just for a whale?
scotty
Andrew426 wrote:
PatTheGreat42 wrote:

The environment is the only thing we got, and if you can use paramilitary tactics, that just makes it more fun.

WTF?

You care more about whales than about people?

You would rather some kid lose their parent, some brother lose their sibling, or a mother lose their child just for a whale?

The tactics Greenpeace employed in the last whale hunt were not "paramilitary". The only way I can see a death arising from the whale hunt is if the Japanese harpoon a Greenpeace activist. While Greenpeace openly admits to its wish to cause as much damage to the Japanese whalers' equipment as possible they aren't out to kill them.
Andrew426
On greenpeace members have been quoted as saying they believe the life of a whale is more important than the life of a human.

Also, they are known for ramming whaling vessels, you would have to be stupid to think that wouldnt risk killing someone.
scotty
I haven't heard of them saying that a life of a whale is more important than a human, sounds a bit unbelieveable. If they did they are idiots.

The ramming incident is very controversial. I was under the impression the Japanese made a very unpredictable move and Greenpeace were not at fault. They may not have been all that fussed about hitting them which I suppose is fair enough, giving what they are trying to do. But realistically hitting another ship, even if it sank, would be unlikely to kill someone. I have faith in the compulsory safety equipment they have to carry. Maybe, I dunno.
710ths
Andrew426 wrote:

Also, they are known for ramming whaling vessels, you would have to be stupid to think that wouldnt risk killing someone.

Maybe they are but what does it take to stop the whaling? "Please could you stop killing Whales Mr. Japan" Diplomacy has not worked somebody has to do something to save these whales.

Japan and all the others out there doing the same thing. Give it a rest and let these fantastic creatures raise there numbers and live in peace.

Go and get yourself a McDonald instead.
Andrew426
scotty wrote:

The ramming incident is very controversial. I was under the impression the Japanese made a very unpredictable move and Greenpeace were not at fault. They may not have been all that fussed about hitting them which I suppose is fair enough, giving what they are trying to do.
This isnt greenpeace, but it is a similar anti-whaling organiasation called sea sheperd.

This is a picture of a sea shepherd boat ramming a whaling vessel (taken from their own website)

http://media-antarctica.seashepherd2.org/

That big sharp looking thing is meant to cut the other ships hull open.
scotty
There we go it wasn't Greenpeace, they are a bit more responsible than that.

Sea Shepard is a bit more violent.

The incident I was refering to is this one:

Southern Ocean, International This morning our ship the Arctic Sunrise was deliberately rammed and damaged by the Nisshin Maru, the factory ship of the Japanese whaling fleet. Straight after the ramming, the Nisshin Maru began to steam away from the "scene of the crime". However both the Arctic Sunrise and the Esperanza are in pursuit with every intention of continuing to peacefully protest the hunt. More.

That article is taken from Greenpeace's website but this one is from the ABC (Australia). Link

It isn't as assuring that the Japanese were to blame but it does take the side of Greenpeace which I suggest is the probable party to blame for the incident based on what I've read.
Andrew426
Yeah I read about that earlier but it seemed biased so I didnt want to quote it.
scotty
A little biased but there are no photos of spikes on the side of their ship.
HoboPelican
Yeah, the "research" is just an excuse to get the whale meat. I give Greenpeace a lot of credit for doing what they do.