FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Web-Design

Duncan Idaho
Ive been asked to make a website for a company that makes Military and Areospace equipment. Ive never done a project this serious before.
Any Pointers?
rightclickscott
Are you getting paid for it? Because I could use some money for some designs.
Andrew426
Basically just use colors that compliment each other (I normally use black - grey - white) and try not to make it look too cluttered.
Duncan Idaho
rightclickscott wrote:

Lol, No scott. Ive taken LOTS of webdesign class's. Thanks though.

P.S(you havnt responded to my email)
rightclickscott
Duncan Idaho wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:

Lol, No scott. Ive taken LOTS of webdesign class's. Thanks though.

P.S(you havnt responded to my email)

I've probably taken more...

I haven't read my webmail in awhile, so I'm not responding to alot of emails.
AG007
Well you have to think on the graphics, and its contents.
Then do the coding.

Are you making the website in PHP? or just HTML?
bernardnapoleon
I would suggest ease of navigation and stunning home page. use of some complementing flash and javascript would also be great. beware though many people still is using dial up connection (like me) so fast loading is also one thing.

I would like to site when finish Smile
PatTheGreat42
Go to Xanga.com. Then MySpace.com. Surf around. Absorb their design.

Then do nothing that they do.
Duncan Idaho
AG007 wrote:
Well you have to think on the graphics, and its contents.
Then do the coding.

Are you making the website in PHP? or just HTML?

HTML.
Duncan Idaho
bernardnapoleon wrote:
I would suggest ease of navigation and stunning home page. use of some complementing flash and javascript would also be great. beware though many people still is using dial up connection (like me) so fast loading is also one thing.

I would like to site when finish Smile

Great Idea, ive been doing flash for a few years and took a flash webdesign course. Should be simple.
ignition
Make it easy to navigate, and try to make it uncluttered. When users visit a site they want to be able to find their way around easily; no matter how great it looks if it is not easy to use then people will dislike it (I've learned that before). That also means ditching any pointless splash screens and whatnot.
PatTheGreat42 wrote:

Best tip I've ever heard!
Wuffelz
Every Webhosting comp. always have a Pc on the logo ot somewhere on the tamplate.

You should use flash if you could or go to template monster or some other template website and get ideas.
cybernie
it wouldn't take much of your time when u just do the coding on HTML especially if u use web authoring software like frontpage or dreamweaver... if you know flash, the better but try to consider users with slower internet connections and lower pc specs...

java script could be used in adding "magic" to your design... or e good css
munkey_boy
ignition wrote:

PatTheGreat42 wrote:

Best tip I've ever heard!

Yep, great tip i hate MySpace

And Piczo! Razz
UnikeViruz
Try ans use some military colors you know? Get the camo colors in there ....but dont over do it...if u do the entire backroung it might be hard to read the letters....im sure your an intelligent guy and will do just fine anyways if u have taken miltuple classes...dont look at it like its a big thing look at it like its another web page Wink
edallica
all id say is keep it clean.

use nice CSS and even nicer HTML. theres nothing sweeter than looking at a page of well written HTML with a lovely presented stylesheet.
Kd527
Don't make it too distracting. Don't make it take too long to load either. Make navigation very simple and easy. Blacks, grays, and whites are a good tip as mentioned above. Smile Make your pages valid XHTML (or HTML).

well, good luck, what a big project!
erlendhg
Some times it can be a great idea to copy someone elses web design...

...just don`t copy www.godaddy.com`s web design. It`s messy Very Happy

--Edit--

Well well, I looked on their websites, and it seems like they have cleaned it up a bit. But it is still a bit messy Cool
joxang
PatTheGreat42 wrote:

lol, love it.
selim06
Why do you use HTML?It means a limited project!Anyway i think they don't think about coding they want a really good design...So You can:
-Put a navigation bar as other members suggested..
-Create a News Settler section so the Company can announce developments easily...
-Don't use "funky" images and colors..The darken ones has a serious looking as the Military.
-Use Flash for introducing the products of the company(may be for the header).
etc...If you want to code(design) it with PHP I may help you more Very Happy
BTW:I think General Chat is the wrong Forum for this design tips and suggestions..We have a specific forum look:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vf-13.html
38club
how can I make a good wedsite ? I din't know how to make a website.. can you teach me...
selim06
38club wrote:
how can I make a good wedsite ? I din't know how to make a website.. can you teach me...

read tutorials and stay logged in,you can learn it by yourself.Check the messages:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vf-13.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vf-54.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vf-35.html
And if you want to ask specific things.Ask it it's so useful to ask it on Frihost.The members very helpful!
evilryu530
take a look at wahat nasa does, other aeropsoace companies do, and miltary, then just come up with somthing way cool. u can do it, here is a pointer, www.coolwebsites.com

check it out
Mamsaac
PatTheGreat42 wrote:

never seen such a beautiful advice XD
Vandalyzed
Hey..... I dont want to be a downer or offensive at all..........All the posts are definately trying to help you.

But, my post is trying to help you too........

I gotta ask you to think about what you're doing. If this is a serious financial offer to build a website for a company that makes military and aerospace equipment.....they're not going to be expecting a coloring book website vs. an up-to-date technological website using the best form of design possible.

I'm all for making money on web design....that's what my business is, and I've been doing it for over 10 years.......... But, I will still stop and think before accepting an offer to make a website.

You have to think of your design level.... Are you capable of providing a website that meets all the needs of a company such as this?

Taking classes in Web Design is great....take 100........just like with anything else, reading books and taking classes is only part training........ Actually making websites is your primary training, not your secondary.

I spent everyday making new designs and new websites.........not for sale (unless someone wanted to buy them), but for myself, my own experience. Then I became webmaster for an online gaming group and worked on their website for a year, while still doing my own website designs seperately.

From the point I first started doing web design, I'd say it was about 3 years before I actually sold a website.

The money is great.......but you wont make money if the people you build a website for take a look at what you've built and think to themselves, is this the best he can do?

I would encourage anyone that wants to do webdesign, I just dont want to see someone's obvious excitement at having a project turn into a wrenching disappointment if they're not up to the level that's expected of them.

With that being said, feel free to email me if you have any questions on getting this project done.
izcool
I might be able to help. Very Happy My step-dad used to work for a company named "AMCO" where they made cabinetry that was primiarly used for those used in spaceships and for the military, like the heavy-duty ones used in Navy ships. Here's their website that they have - http://www.amcoengineering.com/ - which I hope might give you ideas for the one that you're working on. It looks like the site that I linked to is under construction, but if you have the time to wait, you might be able to see a better one when it's finished. My step-dad quit that job and moved into a higher-paying job.

- Mike.
shizoo
try looking around some pro. site which had gone too far... But don't make it look too boring. The backround should be something fashionable. Black is good ^^ No ad would be great... and advertising the site to some other site. That ws not for webdesigning,, just some tip to not make it look boring.