FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bootable Restore Disc -- Help?

phreakdb
Ok. I have one of those gay restore disks that goes through a dos program and essentially places an image on the hard drive after formatting. It's a pain in the ass, considering it is XP Home with no Service Packs on it. To get my comp completely up to date, it takes like... 2 hours of dling and installing.

I went through a tutorial online, where they showed me how to make one. I386 Directory (which my restore disc places on my hard Drive), and tried to slipstream(?) sp2. It came back erroneous. I tried it 2 different suggested ways, and bothtimes... it came back erroneous.

Can anyone point me to an in depth site, that can take me through this?

Or offer suggestions?

THank you for your time.
wumingsden
So you wish to reboot your PC back to factroy-shipped condition ? most people haven't got this, you can try and see whether it works for you.

To reboot my PC I first turn it on (obviously) and press F10 when its loading. Options will then appear walking me though the process. By default it'll save all data files, you can change this option though.
Diddyman
If you have an XP Home or Pro CD, you could just put the CD in your drive and boot from that. This will not give you the factory settings that you are pobably after but, it will install a fresh copy Windows on for you.

The thing to bare in mind though is if Windows will pick all your hardware up as it doesn't always, if you have the driver CD's then you shouldn't have any problems with this process.

Just a quick thought and please post back if you have any further problems or let us know how you get on.

Cheers
backtothefuture
I am not sure if this is what you are after but if you boot from a windows xp disc you can reformat your hard drive (make it blank). then turn it of without installing windows
anthonygerbils
yeah u can use your windows xp cd or u can use a ghost file of your operating system and by ghosting it you should take your sp2 with it but this might not be what u want but its worth a try ... and after ghosting it put the ghost image onto a cd and boot it and that should work but you could also format your drive before hand??
ezekiel_rage
phreakdb wrote:
Ok. I have one of those gay restore disks that goes through a dos program and essentially places an image on the hard drive after formatting. It's a pain in the ***, considering it is XP Home with no Service Packs on it. To get my comp completely up to date, it takes like... 2 hours of dling and installing.

Hello!

I am guessing that you are using a set of Norton Ghost Images. Its a great tool to have, knowing that you have something to fall back on in case something happens to your machine.

One way I could suggest to you is that you download a network install/offline installer of the service pack and other patches you might need and save it in a CD or other removable media. That way when you have to restore your macine, you don't have to dowload everything again. You just have to install it from where you have saved it (CD-R, zip drive, additional HDDD, etc).

Another one I would definitely suggest is that after you have restored you PC using your current restore disk, and have applied all the service packs and patches you need, you create a new set of restore disk.

So that next time you need to restore your images, you're good to go and dont have to go through the whole update process again, and again and again and again.....

Hope this helps Smile
Bones
I don't think half of you have even read the original post. Here is a good website for making a slipstream disk http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
though you might not be able to do it with an oem recovery disk (depending on the oem) If you arent able to make a slipstream disk then you might want to check out Norton Ghost (although I shudder at recomending any norton products)
anthonygerbils
yeah Bones that is what i was on about using ghost (nortan ghost ) to get your image and save it ....
pctech
I would suggest you buy a SP2 CD from Microsoft from them direct or from site like Ebay. They're pretty cheap. I was fortunate enough to pick one up at Circuit City for free when SP2 first came out. It saves a lot of time when downloading stuff from the Microsoft website to do updates and whatnot. Aside from that, I'm not sure what else to suggest.
elyah_ariel
pctech wrote:
I would suggest you buy a SP2 CD from Microsoft from them direct or from site like Ebay. They're pretty cheap. I was fortunate enough to pick one up at Circuit City for free when SP2 first came out. It saves a lot of time when downloading stuff from the Microsoft website to do updates and whatnot. Aside from that, I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Hi,

I found a better way to save and restore a disk image file with PC Cloneur Expert. With a low cost of 40$, I think it's a very strong software to make backup and some over attached tasks.

Ariel