FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hard Drives - Can I Swap Them? [Solved]

Petee
Okay, here's the deal. I have two nearly identical computers base-system wise. One has a faster processor but that's about all that's different. The harddrives are very different however. One is 160GB and has WinXP while the other is 40GB and has Win98. I would like to swap the drives so that I have WinXP on the faster computer, but I'm not sure if I would have problems doing this (With XP's activation stuff and what not). So, does anyone think that this will/will not work?

Oh, I also have a 128MB AGP video card on the WinXP one and an onboard card for the Win98, if that matters at all.
badai
sure, u can swap it. it u have excatly the same motherboard brand and model, u just need to install the display card driver. if not, u need to reinstall both windows.

don't worry about activation, it just a phone call away.
djclue917
Petee wrote:
Okay, here's the deal. I have two nearly identical computers base-system wise. One has a faster processor but that's about all that's different. The harddrives are very different however. One is 160GB and has WinXP while the other is 40GB and has Win98. I would like to swap the drives so that I have WinXP on the faster computer, but I'm not sure if I would have problems doing this (With XP's activation stuff and what not). So, does anyone think that this will/will not work?

Oh, I also have a 128MB AGP video card on the WinXP one and an onboard card for the Win98, if that matters at all.

No don't swap the two hard drives or you'll risk messing up. Since you said that the two systems are nearly identical, then they still have differences like, for example, processors and graphics card (according to you). Well, I think that these "minor" differences since CPU and graphics cards should instead be considered a major difference in terms of CPU and graphics card...

I hope that helps...
Petee
Well, the video card shouldn't matter, I would think. Windows would just think that I installed a new card and didn't install drivers for it yet. Also, I'm planning on switching the video card also, to keep it with WinXP. But the processor kind of worries me. Both computers have the exact same motherboard, but the processors are a little different. That might be enough to make WinXP want to reactivate itself. Or it might just think I installed a new processor and be fine with it Very Happy . I'm not sure.
badai
changing the cpu won't effect windows. it just like u overclocking it. now u can even overclock while windows is running.

only changing of motherboard will need u to reinstall everything.
Petee
But if the motherboards are the same I should have no problems, right?
badai
see post no 2. if u keep asking answered question ppl will ignore you.

Petee wrote:
But if the motherboards are the same I should have no problems, right?
babumuchhala
Dont listen to all the rubbish. If your copy of XP is original, then u shouldnt be worring abt activation, it take too little a time. Go ahead and change those hardisks.

But i dont think activation will come in the way of it. I have swaped my HDD with my friends so many time and both the configs are miles apart. So just go ahead and swap them.

Enjoy!!!
Petee
Okay, I've got them swapped now and everything seems to be working okay, except that WinXP hangs on the loading screen with the little scrolling indicator. I can get on it in safe mode, but it freezes in regular. Any ideas?
Nyizsa
So, you had a box with slow processor, video card and XP, and an other one with fast processor, no video card and 98. And you wanted to swap the hard drives and move the video card so that you have a box with fast processor, video card and XP, and an other one with slow processor, no video card and 98. Right?
Well... why didn't you simply swap the processors? Cool
Petee
I had modded the case with the faster processor so I wanted to put all the good equipment in that one. That's a good idea though, I didn't even think of that. I may just put the hard drives back and swap the processors, then I could swap the case pieces too, since they're the same type. Thanks for the idea Very Happy.