FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Digital SLR photography

fionab
This is my latest passion anyone else on the forum wanna chat about it. Where are the best tips to be found and what tricks can you recommend. Want to get into macro photography and looking for tips.
PS I have a Canon 350D
Sirpale
I am also learning new tips with photographing. I have just canon powershot a75 Laughing I like taking pics of all animals, and nature, usually of flowers Very Happy
Studio Madcrow
DSLRs are powerful tools, but I feel that they are a bit much if you're someone just starting out with photography. Film SLRs can be gotten rather cheaply and, to me at least, provide a very good way to learn all the basics (and then some) of photography.
Rico
Work hard - slog is the only thing that rewards.
hunterm
Yeah, I love photography and recently completed a photography course, although it was a film based course it provided lots of tips that can be used in digital photography.

I'm thinking of getting a digital SLR - Olympus E-500. It's fairly affordable and looks like a good bit of kit.
jwellsy
I have a Canon S1 that suits my needs.
If it is ever lost or stolen, I will replace it with a Canon S2.
I love that it uses rechargeable AA batteries.
timtotango
http://timtotango.blogspot.com
classical_c
Yeah Yeah I have a cannon EOS 400d just new and it's well lovely.
I get a bit obsesed with it. How frustraiting it is to have something really awsome to take pictures of and you don't have your camera with you. I love to take pictures of natural things flowers and landscaped. check out the website I made all the photography is my work www.pelicanpark.com.au
!!
Studio Madcrow
Digital SLRs are nice and all, but I'm fine with my film SLRs: a pair of old Film Nikons do just as much for me as any digital would do.
raine dragon
I'm a college student on a tight budget, so I didn't go the DSLR route. I ended up buying a Canon PowerShot S3 IS. It's not quite as fancy, and it doesn't take attachable lenses, but it still takes very nice pictures.
driftingfe3s
I'm also a college student who just got a DSLR this past December, a spiffy Nikon D50. I don't do any real macro (have no macro lenses), just close ups with my current lenses and then cropping. More than anything I want a really good wide angle lens right now. Being a college student I'll probably go with the Tokina 12-24mm cause its the cheapest price for something around that focal range.

As for resources, I'd recomend just going to a bookstore and just spend a few hours there reading some good books on it.
melissareich
I love taking pictures, not that I'm the best at it, but I wish I had an SLR camera. It would be pointless considering I'm not that good yet. I don't have any tips though, but I'm interested in the hobby of photography. Razz
fbcompany
i have a 30D for kitesurfing photography. We do a lot of sequence shots for this i need good fps over mega pixel. I think it does the job quite nicely. when u buy an slr you dont just buy a camera you buy a camera and lens system. Canon has the best and biggest range of available lens's. You can't really go wrong.

I also have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 that i use in a water housing for deep water shots and as my general everyday camera.

I don't think u can get away with just an slr, to bulky and cumbersome and you always get weird looks from people.
Studio Madcrow
fbcompany wrote:
when u buy an slr you dont just buy a camera you buy a camera and lens system. Canon has the best and biggest range of available lens's. You can't really go wrong.

Erm, I think the Nikon system is just as big (if not bigger) as the Canon system. Historically Nikon was better and Canon was cheaper, but now they're both expensive and good. Really, the main factor in deciding between the two is what kind of lenses you have left over from your film days. If you've got Canon lenses, get a Canon DSLR. If you have Nikon lenses get a Nikon.
creezalird
anyone can recommend me any digital non-SLR camera but performs as good as DSLR camera..?
friuser
there's alot of digital non-slr cameras. You just need more manual options that are not available from basic point and click like the canon g7, or s5 si.

they still are pretty bulky but have manual controls which alow you to make more artistic and professional shots.

btw. slr cameras are known for their quality but it's very dependent on the lens. You won't be able to replicate slr quality because you will never get the lens quality with a non-slr but premium lenses comes with a premium price.
anita
Hi. I've got a Canon Digital Rebel with 6 mp. It's a big bulky thing, but I love it. I bought an additional lens that extends to 300mm, which is the equivalent of 480mm in digital, so I can get great tele shots of sports, and birds. The macro lens is great for close-up's of insects. A great site to post pics is http://pbase.com. I've got a gallery out there at http://pbase.com/anitajj. I'm thinking of getting a tiny little camera to have in my pocket, since the biggest drawback of the big camera is that at first I was all gung ho about taking it everywhere I went, but after a year or so, I don't tend to drag it along, since it is quite big. It has to be a "special occassion" for me to bother. But a tiny little thing... that I'd probably carry more often.

Have fun with the hobby. It's a life-long kind of thing. I belong to 2 different camera clubs and have met many other photographers thru this hobby.

Anita
lethaltriad
I have a canon 5D and a 350D along with the 24-70 f2.8L and 60mm f2.8 macro. I would highly recommend the 60mm f2.8 macro since your interested in macros. Its the sharpest lens i've used and i've borrowed alot of my friends lens to try them out. If your doing bugs another options is the 100mm f/2.8 macro lens and it gives you more room/zoom and less chance of scaring away the bugs when your getting too close with the 60mm.
DoctorBeaver
creezalird wrote:
anyone can recommend me any digital non-SLR camera but performs as good as DSLR camera..?

Try a Fuji Finepix
bulek
I currently own Canon PowerShot G6. I love that digital camera but the only problem is, that it is too slow. It's almost impossible to take a photo at quickly moving object because it takes too much time to sharpen image before taking a photo. That's why I decided to buy a DSLR. I haven't bought it yet, but I will take a order in few weeks. I can't wait for it anymore Smile
Studio Madcrow
Bulek: Congratulations on your decision. What DSLRs are you thinking of? I'm personally a Nikon guy, but really you can't go worng with just aboyt any DSLR.

The one I'd actually like most is the Panasonic/Leica DMC-L1. At $1900, it doesn't come cheap, but most of that money goes for the kickass Leica lens. If you want a similar body, but would rather save up for the Leica lens at a later date, go for Olympus's E-volt line which use the same lens mount as the L1
paul_indo
Digital photography is so cool. No film to buy, but the software is a bit expensive at the begining but after that not much expense at all if you print your own photos.

I've got an Epson photo printer with an ink supply setup and it is great.
creezalird
I own a nikon d40...the quality is not bad even people keep saying that this is just for beginner in SLR photography.. But I also have a Panasonic Lumix LX2 which is just a compact camera but comes with many features just like in a SLR camera..Most of the times I prefer to bring the LX2 because of the compactness even I know that the picture quality is not so great as in d40..
Shewolf
After borrowing my father's SLR for years, I bought a Pentax k10d some weeks ago. I am very pleased with it, though I am just learning to know it.
Photography is just an obsessing hobby of mine, but I like what I am doing.
goniagara
Studio Madcrow wrote:
DSLRs are powerful tools, but I feel that they are a bit much if you're someone just starting out with photography. Film SLRs can be gotten rather cheaply and, to me at least, provide a very good way to learn all the basics (and then some) of photography.

I've used auto and manual film SLRs on and off (more off than on) for a long time, but now I have a dSLR and I'm really getting back into it. I love digital because there is so much that you can do with it, especially post processing with your computer.

I think digital is the way to go ... you can really try stuff, and if it doesn't work, just delete ...

dSLRs are great, but you can get some nice shots with advanced point and shoots too ...

I just got a Nikon D60 for christmas, and just added a 55-200mm zoom.
la_Duchess
The Nikon D60 is a nice beginner dslr. Only because it is fairly easy to use. It takes amazing pictures. The Nikon D80 is a little more adanced. It has more bells and whistles to fiddle with. It also takes amazing pictures. I have both of those. With several lenses. I thought about upgrading to the D90 but I'm not sure if I need video added into my dslr. It seems to be too much. I much rather have a separate video cam. I actually am waiting for the Nikon D 400X to come out and then I plan to upgrade to that one. It sounds amazing... A bit pricy thugh...
davidfromoz
My wife and I bought a Nikon D80 about a year ago. It was a very good decision because we've had a lot of fun with it. I'd go as far as to say its changed the way I look at the world. I appreciate beauty and seek out the interesting in normal things even when I don't have my camera in my hands now.

Unfortunately, we fought a lot over using the camera. So a short time later we got a D300 too.

I hope the photographers in this forum will start posting photos and discussing photography more. It would be great if we could have an active photography discussion here.

cheers,
david
michaeljscott93
Yeah photography is awesome and something that nearly anyone can do Very Happy

I advise that you checkout alot of youtube videos on photography, learn some techniques and practice them Very Happy

Also a great way to show off and get advise from excellent photographers is join www.flickr.com
the best photography website I think Very Happy

Have fun!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
pho3nixsky
Nice camera Wink Except id rather sony.
goniagara
davidfromoz wrote:
My wife and I bought a Nikon D80 about a year ago. It was a very good decision because we've had a lot of fun with it. I'd go as far as to say its changed the way I look at the world. I appreciate beauty and seek out the interesting in normal things even when I don't have my camera in my hands now.

Unfortunately, we fought a lot over using the camera. So a short time later we got a D300 too.

I hope the photographers in this forum will start posting photos and discussing photography more. It would be great if we could have an active photography discussion here.

cheers,
david

I'm still struggling getting great pictures. The weather isn't great and the few times I get outside to shoot, the light is awful, or I can't find interesting subjects. I need to get my sense of composition back too ... I did some decent work in college when I took a photography class, but have been doing mostly snapshots the last 20 years ... I need to remember how to do some serious photography again, but I'm having fun.
Kopernikus
creezalird wrote:

NO Smile

DSLR are a completely different kind of fish. Donīt get me wrong, you can be very happy with a point and shoot, but if you expect certain kinds of options, than you have to got DSLR.

The most obvious difference ist the ability to change lenses. With a P&S you are stuck with the one put up by the manufacturer. On a DSLR you can choose between the extreme wide angle or the large tele, the large aperture lens for available light or the macro for close up work. A P&S superzoom or bridge isnīt bad, you know, just less versatile.

Next point, from the technical side, you have normally a larger sensor in DSLRs, meaning that the noise levels are better, so that the camera doesnīt need to be as agressive in creating the JPGs...

Anyway, if you have are just after making some family pictures, holiday shots and occasionaly some mild macro work, a P&S may be all you need, expecially if you donīt like lugging around a bigger camera.
kody
Anyone have the new Canon 500d rebel? Looks amazing! Might be an upgrade over my 20D even though it's meant to be an "entry level" dslr.

thoughts?
dude_xyx
I wish I had a Digital SLR something like canon Rebel series. But I'm happy with my SX10IS. Its a point and shoot but i think not a toy camera like most point and shoot cameras. with a telephoto l;ens of 560 mm it can do some great stuff.
Kopernikus
some years ago i bit the bullet and bought a Sony Alpha 100, having still some minolta lenses lying around. I never regretted that, after having a superzoom for some time. my good old trusty 1.7/50mm lens became my favourite again.
Ankhanu
Those fast 50mm lenses are THE best bang for the buck lenses out there, and every maker has one Smile They're so cheap, but they're super fast, generally pretty dang sharp, and often have manual features, allowing them to be used, for example, as a reversed lens for macro work. A 50mm should be in every SLR user's arsenal!

Personally, I'm a Nikon shooter. I have a D80, and my only complaint with it is high ISO noise above 800ISO. The D300, D90, D700 and such fixed this problem, but I can't afford one just yet. I absolutely adore having separate wheels for shutter speed and aperture; that's one of the things I just didn't like about, say, Canon's offerings at a similar price point; one wheel to control both aspects of the camera. The information LCD next to the shutter release is a nice touch as well.
Very well laid out, good feeling camera body, just the right size/weight for my hands... Fix the ISO noise above 800ISO and it would be near perfect Smile
Kopernikus
Ankhanu wrote:
Those fast 50mm lenses are THE best bang for the buck lenses out there, and every maker has one Smile They're so cheap, but they're super fast, generally pretty dang sharp, and often have manual features, allowing them to be used, for example, as a reversed lens for macro work. A 50mm should be in every SLR user's arsenal!

Personally, I'm a Nikon shooter. I have a D80, and my only complaint with it is high ISO noise above 800ISO. The D300, D90, D700 and such fixed this problem, but I can't afford one just yet. I absolutely adore having separate wheels for shutter speed and aperture; that's one of the things I just didn't like about, say, Canon's offerings at a similar price point; one wheel to control both aspects of the camera. The information LCD next to the shutter release is a nice touch as well.
Very well laid out, good feeling camera body, just the right size/weight for my hands... Fix the ISO noise above 800ISO and it would be near perfect Smile

having a sony alpha myself, iīm sitting in the same boat as you, regarding noise at higher iso...
and because I *really* need to shoot in winecellars and during all kinds of indoor events, thats rather annoying. thatīs why i like my 1.7/50mm so much Smile but for the kind of work (iīm shooting for our local newspaper) a postprocessing noise reducer like NeatImage is sufficient. I *hate* to kill the "genius loci" with a flash